PDA

View Full Version : Rant first, positive remarks after

JestersJ
June 8th, 2015, 12:38
Hello ITIL, it's been awhile.

/start of rant

So I am an early departure participant who came in late April. (only got my internet about two weeks ago)
I am in a school with two other ALTs and I only have one school. The other two alts are both junior high school and I'm the high school ALT. (like an elevator school, all in one place)

One of the junior ALTs is a long term teacher, (he's been here for four years) and the other one came a few weeks after I got here. So because of him.. we kind of got the left-over I-don't-want-it-so-you-have-it classes.

I looked over previous schedules of my predecessor and predecessor's predecessor and usually the SHS ALT is supposed to teach the JHS 三年生 (about 4 classes a week) This is because the SHS teaches ALL of the SHS 一年生 (every day of the week, a different 一年生 class in reading comprehension and conversation)

Originally when I got my schedule, it showed I would be teaching the JHS 三年生. But, because the other ALT was a long term, he talked to them and then took all of the classes (even though this is his last year) mainly because he just liked the JTE without saying anything to me. The next day I was handed an 'updated' schedule. Which I can understand wanting to work with a JTE you like, but it totally screws me over trying to bond or build a relationship with these kids before I see them again next year. Right now my SHS一年生 are actually the hardest to bond with so far compared to my SHS 二年生 and 三年生.

I don't know, it just bugs me that he did that just because it's his last year he doesn't have to worry about what happens the next year. (This isn't the only selfish thing he's done since we got here, it's just the one that bugs me the most.) I don't really blame the teachers for allowing it because, Japan is Japan, but it bugs me that this ALT is just selfish. I luckily do not have to work with him much and I don't hang out with him after work at all, it just feels like he's going to get a bit on my nerves all year.

/end rant

On the upside. I do enjoy my school, we have international programs here so a lot of the high school kids are quite good with English. The kids are super friendly and always trying to say hello or talk to us or inviting us into clubs. The JTE's aren't bad, basic friendly Japanese people (with their 'we-are-so-polite-but-not-really' culture) The weather is nice, the city is nice, and my apartment is huge and cheap. (3 bedrooms, two are tatami one is hard wood, then I have a kitchen/dining, balcony, shower area with washing machine and toilet room.)

The city is nice, the trains suck(overly crowded, small, and only comes once every 20 minutes or so)
I got a scooter already (about $650 with mandatory insurance all together. Then I got voluntary accident insurance for about $150 a year) It has made everything much cheaper and it is definitely paying for itself already.
My school didn't pay the commute to work, it was about 750 yen a day... you do the math with 5 days a week. but the scooter makes it out to be about 540 yen every 9-10 days.

uthinkimlost?
June 8th, 2015, 12:48
He wants to see his sh*t through. He has one more academic year to see if what he's been doing helps them move forward.

Honestly, no other SHS ALT I know teaches sannensei JHS students. I'm not sure I follow the logic of it, either. I wouldn't want to, personally, as most of them are studying hard for exams, etc. They'd be just as hard, if not more so, to bond with.

The freshmen are just nervous and you're very green. It will take a while for you to crack 'em. Just relax and go with the flow for a bit and I'll bet you'll find things work out.

Edit: You could always ask to be a visiting ALT for them, if you want. You can assist the old fogey and pick up some tricks while you're at it.

Virgil
June 8th, 2015, 12:48
So I am an early departure participant who came in late April. (only got my internet about two weeks ago)

How ghastly.

JestersJ
June 8th, 2015, 13:10
He wants to see his sh*t through. He has one more academic year to see if what he's been doing helps them move forward.

Honestly, no other SHS ALT I know teaches sannensei JHS students. I'm not sure I follow the logic of it, either. I wouldn't want to, personally, as most of them are studying hard for exams, etc. They'd be just as hard, if not more so, to bond with.

The freshmen are just nervous and you're very green. It will take a while for you to crack 'em. Just relax and go with the flow for a bit and I'll bet you'll find things work out.

Edit: You could always ask to be a visiting ALT for them, if you want. You can assist the old fogey and pick up some tricks while you're at it.

Hahaha, He is not a motivated worker and he's quite selfish. He's already trying to opt out of events this next year just because he wont be teaching anymore. These usually need about 6+ volunteers per event. He flat out says he just doesn't want to do it anymore because he doesn't care. It wasn't an assumption he took sannensei because he liked the JTE, he flat out stated he did it that way even though I would normally teach them.

The JHS ALTs have to teach 3 HS classes a week and I have to teach about 3-4 JHS a week, I think it's just a way for the students to know the other ALTs in the school. Originally all the sannensei were supposed to be mine since I get them again. I'm teaching two first year classes and one second year JHS class as an exchange. The sannensei use the same book that they use the first year of high school so they kept the SHS alt with them since I would already be used to teaching out of that book.

Edit* I'm definitely not going to fight it because I don't care enough to go through that trouble, it's just some small things that made me want to rant.
The ninensei and ichinensei JHS kids are quite cute even if they're loud so I can at least kind of see them. And next year I'll be back to the sannensei since he'll be gone.

Zolrak 22
June 8th, 2015, 13:30
I appreciate your story, your rant.

But here's my mini rant.

Why didn't you use the rant/woot thread?

Jessy, I thought we had an understanding here. [emoji14]

What else can you tell us from the city aside from the trains sucking?

Any specific school events you wanna participate in?

(since you mentioned volunteers and etc)

Or altogether anything else you'd like to share?

Jiggit
June 8th, 2015, 13:40
Tis not a true wootrant, not that any of you newtimers seem to care about such things as once made this forum great.

Zolrak 22
June 8th, 2015, 13:45
Tis not a true wootrant, not that any of you newtimers seem to care about such things as once made this forum great.

It's the closest thing to it, as it's not entirely a full rant. Or so he said with the title.

No one cares about the old ways.

Tis a matter of time before the new God replaces your pantheon.

CUPS
June 8th, 2015, 14:03
You're allowed to use the English words "first, second and third grade" on here. Your kanji skills are amazing though.

CUPS
June 8th, 2015, 14:07
"only comes once every 20 minutes or so"

LOLOLOLOLOL

Cbill1
June 8th, 2015, 15:06
The city is nice, the trains suck(overly crowded, small, and only comes once every 20 minutes or so).

If you're in Kochi, you're lucky to have access to trains like that at all.

Hahaha, he is not a motivated worker and he's quite selfish. He's already trying to opt out of events this next year just because he wont be teaching anymore.

This is probably a little pessimistic here, but tbh that's his prerogative. It doesn't even mean that he's not motivated; on the one hand, you get out of this job what you put into it, but on the other, this isn't a system that rewards anyone for working hard (at least not in ALT positions, anyway). This guy could go to all of the volunteer events he was physically capable of, but unless he's looking to direct-hire (which he probably isn't) there's really nothing he can gain from going. Events are nice, but it might be that he has other things on his plate that he wants to prioritize.

Gizmotech
June 9th, 2015, 00:22
Never say therr is nothing to gain. Professional development is huge while you're here if this is your career. That being said if you're the standard have fun alt then it's all a wash in the end.