PDA

View Full Version : Life in Japan - A Video

texxaport
June 10th, 2015, 04:16
I saw saw this documentary posted to reddit a couple days ago and finally got around to watching it. Anyone else seen it? Anyone have thoughts on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prNYOW0_kms

I liked hearing all the different perspectives. It does make me a bit wary of Japanese police though.

BifCarbet
June 10th, 2015, 05:44
I like it too. There was one guy who bothered me a lot, but I thought it was enjoyable. Great variety of people.

texxaport
June 10th, 2015, 05:48
I think I would have liked for them to have more people from the inaka though. It seems most were from Kyoto city or Fukuoka city.

Jiggit
June 10th, 2015, 08:29
It does make me a bit wary of Japanese police though.

Good. Don't get involved with the legal system here if you can possibly help it.

Gizmotech
June 10th, 2015, 11:58
Ya,

True story,

So last night my friend and I were walking to an izakaya for a couple of beers after work. As we cross the main road we see a man lying on the ground (There was a planter between him and the road so we didn't seem him from far away), drunk as all get out, with his dog barking around him. Looked like he was taking his dog for a walk and either fell down drunk or actually hurt himself. Couldn't tell though as his speech was super slurred.

Honestly, my friend and I didn't even know what to do at that point. Thankfully the bar we were going to was like 2 doors away, so I went in and asked the owner for help, and he called an ambulance, but I honestly was like "I don't know who I should call, and I don't want to talk to the police about this...."

texxaport
June 10th, 2015, 12:11
Good. Don't get involved with the legal system here if you can possibly help it.

I'd rather not get involved with the legal system anywhere.

BambooTelegraph
June 10th, 2015, 13:02

Yep. That reddit AMA a few years ago just highlighted how brutal it can be if you're on the the receiving end. (https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/1t09ud/did_time_in_a_japanese_jail_ama/)

Virgil
June 10th, 2015, 13:49
Yep. That reddit AMA a few years ago just highlighted how brutal it can be if you're on the the receiving end. (https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/1t09ud/did_time_in_a_japanese_jail_ama/)

You've just reminded me how shitty Reddit is. With its popularity I keep thinking it's actually decent place for discussion.

texxaport
June 10th, 2015, 13:57
Wow. That's ridiculous. He was detained for 23 days because a package was addressed to him that tested positive for "traces of marijuana"?

Virgil
June 10th, 2015, 13:59
Wow. That's ridiculous. He was detained for 23 days because a package was addressed to him that tested positive for "traces of marijuana"?

From what I read, it seems like his friend sent him some "edibles" as a joke.

texxaport
June 10th, 2015, 14:03
From what I read, it seems like his friend sent him some "edibles" as a joke.
I suppose that's a bit less silly, but still. If it's from his friends then it doesn't likely have an order slip or anything to indicate he bought or requested the item. He literally did nothing wrong. His friends are the ones to blame here imo.

Should have just destroyed the package and been done with it. Maybe noted it down somewhere.

Virgil
June 10th, 2015, 14:10
I suppose that's a bit less silly, but still. If it's from his friends then it doesn't likely have an order slip or anything to indicate he bought or requested the item. He literally did nothing wrong. His friends are the ones to blame here imo.

Should have just destroyed the package and been done with it. Maybe noted it down somewhere.

They thought he was a distributor apparently. This is why I'm complaining about Reddit because the original posts detailing all of this are completely obfuscated.

Dululu
June 10th, 2015, 14:23
What do you think the percentage chance is of Japan Post / police or whatever finding illegal drugs posted to you are?
(small quantity, well wrapped, look like something someone would 'normally' import - not like those Nelson Mandela statues / Bibles filled with crack you see on TV)

0.1%, 1%, 10%, 50%?

I'm not planning on doing it btw.

Ananasboat
June 10th, 2015, 16:01
What do you think the percentage chance is of Japan Post / police or whatever finding illegal drugs posted to you are?
(small quantity, well wrapped, look like something someone would 'normally' import - not like those Nelson Mandela statues / Bibles filled with crack you see on TV)

0.1%, 1%, 10%, 50%?

I'm not planning on doing it btw.

Wouldn't know, and wouldn't even begin entertaining the idea. Whatever the percentage is, it's inviting disaster.

BifCarbet
June 10th, 2015, 16:09
I spent some time a couple days ago watching SYOKUMU SITUMON videos on youtube. Guys declining police requests to show ID and such. It was really boring, but a couple of the guys were really good. A few of the situations devolved to the point at which American cops take you out of the car and cuff you face-down, but the J cops just kept pleading their cases. It was annoying. I was like, "OMG just shoot him already."

Jiggit
June 10th, 2015, 16:21
TBH I wouldn't believe "my friends sent it to me as a prank" either, but obviously that doesn't mean you can throw a man in jail and yell at him for 23 days to sign a confession either.

word
June 10th, 2015, 23:56
TBH I wouldn't believe "my friends sent it to me as a prank" either, but obviously that doesn't mean you can throw a man in jail and yell at him for 23 days to sign a confession either.

word

But yeh regardless of the low opinion I have for my own nation's law enforcement and legal system there is no way in f*ck I'd ever wanna be caught up in the Japanese legal system.

texxaport
June 11th, 2015, 00:55
I get that I'm allowed to ask for badge number or something when they ask my id... but I'm kind of inclined to not just because it might invite more trouble. I'd probably just give my card and be done with it.

singinglupines
June 12th, 2015, 00:44
I get that I'm allowed to ask for badge number or something when they ask my id... but I'm kind of inclined to not just because it might invite more trouble. I'd probably just give my card and be done with it.

Same, plus I don't understand why you would refuse. In Europe, you always have to show your passport when asked and in the US, the same if you're not a citizen.

BifCarbet
June 12th, 2015, 02:02
Yeah, I'm really stubborn. At a hotel, I might insist that they take my driver's license, just because it feels a little like an invasion of privacy and an overstep for a hotel clerk to want to check my immigration status. But who wants to pick a fight with the cops, especially when you're an illegal like all of us?