PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your iPad in Japan?

Haleydru0519
June 15th, 2015, 10:55
I know this seems like a really silly question, but I was looking into getting an iPad to use in Japan and I'm not sure which I should get. Do ya'll use your iPads there or just carry your computers around? I know some schools provide you with a computer at the school, so you may not have a need to carry your own, but I feel like if I went on a trip or out of town, I'd like something a little easier to carry around and doesn't have much personal info on it. What do you guys think? If you DID bring your iPad to Japan with you, how often do you use it and what kind do you have? Thanks guys!

Virgil
June 15th, 2015, 11:21
One of the teachers at my school has one of the Microsoft Surface tablets. It looks really nice and versatile. I'm not a big iPad fan.

uthinkimlost?
June 15th, 2015, 11:28
I know this seems like a really silly question, but I was looking into getting an iPad to use in Japan and I'm not sure which I should get. Do ya'll use your iPads there or just carry your computers around? I know some schools provide you with a computer at the school, so you may not have a need to carry your own, but I feel like if I went on a trip or out of town, I'd like something a little easier to carry around and doesn't have much personal info on it. What do you guys think? If you DID bring your iPad to Japan with you, how often do you use it and what kind do you have? Thanks guys!

My school forbids outside technology. They've let my iPad slide, but they did tell me when I started that they are forbidden.

Any of the more recent models are fine. If you want easy data access, wait until you come and buy one from one of the cell providers.

Ebi
June 15th, 2015, 12:35
Likewise, my BoE has explicitly stated that iPads are not allowed to be used at school. But it's up to our schools whether or not they actually enforce it. My school provides a work laptop with (filtered) internet access so I don't really need a tablet computer. Also, my schools vehemently forbid the use of smart phones in class, although my staff has let it slide if I'm just using it as a timer or to play music.

Gizmotech
June 15th, 2015, 14:38
Chiming in from the pro iPad side.

I bought the biggest, baddest, most expensive cellular iPad a year after I came (I really wanted a retina). I've been using it in and out of class since I bought it. By dumb luck like 4 months later, my school was given a full set of 50 iPads to use in the school (as a single class + teacher units).

We're totally for using them in class. The caligaraphy teacher users it as an overhead projector and image display system (might sound like a waste, but it's REALLY good for that type of stuff, and she uses it CONSTANTLY). We're using them in class for everything from basic web access to power points (connected to LCD tvs) to games/google earth/etc....

Now if only I had some money to my name (which I don't), and there was a brand new iPad out right now (which there isn't) I would go buy a new iPad (which I can't) because mine is REALLY heavy (the heaviest one they ever made) compared to the Air 2 (which I would have babies with).

Virgil
June 15th, 2015, 14:42
Chiming in from the pro iPad side.

I bought the biggest, baddest, most expensive cellular iPad a year after I came (I really wanted a retina). I've been using it in and out of class since I bought it. By dumb luck like 4 months later, my school was given a full set of 50 iPads to use in the school (as a single class + teacher units).

We're totally for using them in class. The caligaraphy teacher users it as an overhead projector and image display system (might sound like a waste, but it's REALLY good for that type of stuff, and she uses it CONSTANTLY). We're using them in class for everything from basic web access to power points (connected to LCD tvs) to games/google earth/etc....

Now if only I had some money to my name (which I don't), and there was a brand new iPad out right now (which there isn't) I would go buy a new iPad (which I can't) because mine is REALLY heavy (the heaviest one they ever made) compared to the Air 2 (which I would have babies with).

Sounds like your school is awesomely ahead of the game as far as tech is concerned. Seems like most are woefully behind/afraid of technology. My school doesn't seem to give two shits.

Do you think you were placed there because of your background?

Gizmotech
June 15th, 2015, 15:02
Sounds like your school is awesomely ahead of the game as far as tech is concerned. Seems like most are woefully behind/afraid of technology. My school doesn't seem to give two shits.

Do you think you were placed there because of your background?

Absolutely not.

My school is technology adverse. Sure we have the iPads, but if I hadn't pushed their implementation (along with a coworker) we wouldn't be using them in the class (or pretty much at all). All this tech stuff happened a year after I got here, and I'm sure if that was the case the other iPad pilot schools would've also got one of the IT capable guys in the prefecture rather than who they received.

I also know that if I wasn't pushing things always a step further, another step further, with all the teachers and students, it would revert the instant I stopped pushing. Basically the more I push, the more integrated it becomes, and the less likely that regression is going to go all the way to 0 where it started.

uthinkimlost?
June 15th, 2015, 15:12
Absolutely not.

My school is technology adverse. Sure we have the iPads, but if I hadn't pushed their implementation (along with a coworker) we wouldn't be using them in the class (or pretty much at all). All this tech stuff happened a year after I got here, and I'm sure if that was the case the other iPad pilot schools would've also got one of the IT capable guys in the prefecture rather than who they received.

I also know that if I wasn't pushing things always a step further, another step further, with all the teachers and students, it would revert the instant I stopped pushing. Basically the more I push, the more integrated it becomes, and the less likely that regression is going to go all the way to 0 where it started.

All of this.

We have projectors and the like, everything that is needed to do truly interactive stuff. -But the equipment is essentially used to save the teachers the effort of writing on the blackboard. It might as well be overhead projectors and transparencies. (Which, strangely enough, were leapfrogged over here. My school has none.)

Virgil
June 15th, 2015, 15:17
That's depressing. I always wanted to do lessons using cell phones/internet resources. Even in the US that was politically infeasible.

Going to the computer lab is so ridiculously antiquated, and the majority of educators see that as "utilizing technology." They pay for these ridiculous education packages to websites when there are plenty of free options that are actually better...

Ok that turned into a different rant, but it illustrates my frustration with "tech in the classroom"

webstaa
June 15th, 2015, 15:49
99% you will not be able to have students use their own devices (smartphones) in school. Most schools will prohibit students from using them during school hours (aka 7 am to 7 pm, and even after that if they've got tests coming up, but that relies on parental support.) Not all students have smartphones/devices, as well as concerns over net-bullying (save the children etc.) If you're in a school that does all students to use smartphones etc, let me know the upcoming lottery numbers.

Some schools are very 'privacy' oriented (no photos of students allowed, other than on school cameras or by school photographers.) Similarly, some schools are very much concerned with network security. Which means no internet access in the classroom or a very limited few devices provided by the school. If your school has this policy, they'll probably let you know if you ever bring in your own device. (In which case you might find yourself in trouble.) But I only know of a few of that kind of schools in my region.

In my case, I carry my smartphone with me to class, which is allowed as a teacher. I rarely use it, but sometimes use the dictionary or wikipedia to double check something. In fact, at least one teacher likes to use his iPhone and the lightning>displayport cable to show stuff on the classroom TV. Most of the other teachers are closer to luddites in terms of their technology knowledge and use. Some are old and set in their ways, some hate using computers, etc. A previous teacher used an iPad quite a bit in his classes. Another uses a tablet heavily in his workflow, although I don't think he uses it in class. My schools are fairly loose when it comes to BYO(Device.) They won't let it on the network, but you can bring it and use it in the school or in your classes. I have a school provided laptop at both of my schools which is adequate for all my uses, so I don't need to bring in any other devices, but I do know that it is allowed in my case.

Cbill1
June 16th, 2015, 09:22
Going to the computer lab is so ridiculously antiquated, and the majority of educators see that as "utilizing technology." They pay for these ridiculous education packages to websites when there are plenty of free options that are actually better...

I'd kill just to be able to use the computer lab, tbh.

I cart my laptop to class with me for my culture class (because it's where all the presentations and videos are), but that almost ends up being more trouble than it's worth because the only piece of "technology" in that room is an old CRT TV. My school doesn't have wifi/internet access for non-school devices either, so anything I forget to DL at home I have to tether for.

I've had some luck having students do research on the computers in the library, but they're ridiculously slow and only half of them work at any given time. I thought about having students make a powerpoint for a class project once, but that idea got laughed at pretty quickly.

As for the original question, I bought my iPad (a first generation mini) in Japan, but you shouldn't have any trouble bringing one from America. I've found it really useful when travelling (since from my town it's at least a three hour trip anywhere) and killing time in cafes.

Virgil
June 16th, 2015, 09:37
I've had some luck having students do research on the computers in the library, but they're ridiculously slow and only half of them work at any given time. I thought about having students make a powerpoint for a class project once, but that idea got laughed at pretty quickly.

That pretty much sums up my experience with trying to implement tech in two different countries.

word
June 16th, 2015, 12:49
If you want easy data access, wait until you come and buy one from one of the cell providers.word

MG did this and it worked out really well for her. She uses hers at school quite often (I occasionally use it, too).

My school is technology adverse.True for 99.9999% of Japanese schools.

Ananasboat
June 16th, 2015, 15:52
True for 99.9999% of Japanese schools.

I feel like my prefecture is trying the change that. The rule is that each classroom is supposed to have access to a smart board. Each elementary school room has its own, and in the middle schools they share a few on each floor. I have teachers who bring their cell phones to class and use them to show kids things online. Hell, I bring my cell phone from time to time for its dictionary. I also lug my computer to school every day, and am always ready to have like a power point or game on my computer for them to play. I get a couple looks from time to time, but never has anyone said that I'm breaking any rules or anything. I think they just think its cool that I can log onto facebook really fast and show them pictures of my house and family and pets and stuff.

word
June 16th, 2015, 16:15
I guess it kinda varies by school; my home school isn't what I'd describe as tech-friendly but they don't outright fight it, either. My visit school seems to abhor anything more advanced than a chalkboard, though.

johnny
June 16th, 2015, 20:49
My school will allow me to use any of my own devices I want in class so long as it doesn't cost them any money and they don't have to do anything. As such, I use my iPad a decent amount during classes. All floors at my schools have HDTV's that you can wheel into classrooms and I use them for my presentations.

Here's something you should consider though. While Japan finally seems to be changing its quaint attitude towards having tech in the classroom, don't count on any of your schools having any technology for you to use. So, you may well have an iPad, but you may not have TV's or projectors to which you can connect it.

Be prepared to adapt. You might have to rely a lot more on hand drawn cards for games and activities. If you're a JHS ALT, you'll definitely have a lot of time on your hands, so you'll definitely have a lot of time to draw stuff up.

singinglupines
June 17th, 2015, 00:26
What about printers? Do you have printer access at school at all?

BifCarbet
June 17th, 2015, 01:53
Yeah, but how much and what type of thing you can print will vary. I'm sure there's an ALT who could charge in here and be like, "NOooooooOOoOOOoooOo!!!!! I don't get to print at all," or "NoooOOOoOOOoOoOOoooO!!!! We don't have a printer in my staffroom," but chances are very good you'll be allowed to print. You might need authorization for every page you print, but you should be able to do it. Copy too. I used to make posters for some of my elementary schools, and I printed out loads of color pictures to cut and paste onto the posters. I did more color printing in my Japanese elementary schools than I had done in my entire life before.

webstaa
June 17th, 2015, 08:16
Have a printer. In fact, I sit surrounded by printers - one white/color multipurpose (that badly needs a new fuzer,) one really nice inkjet (that only my computer and one other can print to, seeing as nobody knows how to find the drivers for it...,) and a massive multi-purpose unite that never seems to have anything wrong with it, but that only the VP and jimu seem to use. And then there's the high-speed bi-color (red-black) high speed machines in the 'print' room.

I've probably killed a few trees in the last couple years. I have a drawer full of poor prints/mistakes that keep for scrap paper use. Which ends up being quite a bit.

Virgil
June 17th, 2015, 08:28
I have to give my files to another teacher for them to print for me since they won't let my computer on the network.

Sent from my 401SO using Tapatalk

johnny
June 17th, 2015, 08:32

If you have computer and/or network access, probably yes.

I don't though. I need to do l of my work at home if I need access to the Internet. At my main school, I didn't even have access to a power socket until last month.

LilMitsuko
June 17th, 2015, 13:41
Yes, I use my iPad. I have a computer at work, so I don't need to bring my laptop to work BUT their laptop is so old/slow that I sometimes do anyway. I mainly use my iPad to read books when there's down time and nothing for me to do (i.e. summer vacation). It's especially useful when I go to my elementary school where I don't have a computer and I need to look things up before class. I've also used it in classes rather than printing out papers and killing trees. I save some images, make an album on my iPad, and then just use that during the lesson.

I actually got an iPad while living in Japan (my boyfriend and I bought each other one on accident one year for Christmas/birthday) because I wanted to read books and things. It was hard carrying around a book when I went traveling, or even when I was going to school. Too much stuff in my bag. With an iPad, I can carry as many books as my iPad can hold. So I decided it was worth it. I have an iPad mini. I felt that was an appropriate and reasonable size. :]

Yes, I have access to printers at school, but not the color printer (we can use it, but it's in the principal's room, so it's very awkward to go in there and retrieve something we just printed). They don't really allow too much color printing at my school, so I went out and bought my own printer (because I need to print a lot of things for lessons I do at various schools). I'm hoping I can take that baby home with me.

Cbill1
June 17th, 2015, 14:53

I've got black/white printer access, color printer access, and access to the printing room.

Generally speaking, the rules are use the nice printer for anything twenty copies or under, the color printer sparsely, and the printing room when you need to make copies for the entire class. All of my classes are worksheet-based instead of textbook based, so I end up in the printing room a lot. It even has a collator.

Ebi
June 17th, 2015, 21:17
I've been lucky that all of my schools have allowed me to use the colored printer without much fuss. I don't use it a ton, but sometimes I'll need materials that include colors so it's nice to have the option. I've even used the poster-sized printer a few times.

My schools have big TVs and projector things that can display images via the TVs, but I wouldn't say any of them are particularly technologically advanced. My first school had a guy who actually knew IT stuff so it was easy to get things installed if I needed them, but since then the task has fallen on people with a questionable grasp of computer networks. (Not that I'm an expect at admin issues either, but I know my way around a computer.)

singinglupines
June 17th, 2015, 21:34
Thanks for all the responses. I definitely relied heavily on printing things when I last taught, but hand made a lot of stuff for the younger classes as well.

starxrox
July 8th, 2015, 11:03
On a side note: What do people thinking about the logistics of me bringing my Xbox One over?

johnny
July 8th, 2015, 11:09
If you have the suitcase space for it, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Zolrak 22
July 8th, 2015, 12:44
On a side note: What do people thinking about the logistics of me bringing my Xbox One over?
What game convinced you to buy it?

webstaa
July 8th, 2015, 13:02

Perfectly fine idea. I brought my desktop with me (SFF case) in my checked bags when I went over. Pack it well and you'll be OK. Heck, you could put it in a small suitcase as a carry on if you were so inclined.

matt360
July 14th, 2015, 11:58
I use my iPad every day. I put all of the CDs that came with our textbooks into iTunes and then transferred them all to my iPad, so I don't need to bring my textbook CDs or a CD player to class. I use it as a timer for speeches and games. And sometimes I hook it up to a projector and we play Scribblenauts in class.

uthinkimlost?
July 14th, 2015, 11:59
I use my iPad every day. I put all of the CDs that came with our textbooks into iTunes and then transferred them all to my iPad, so I don't need to bring my textbook CDs or a CD player to class. I use it as a timer for speeches and games. And sometimes I hook it up to a projector and we play Scribblenauts in class.

I knew it wasn't just me.

Jiggit
July 14th, 2015, 12:02
Oh my god Scribblenauts would be such a good game for students!

uthinkimlost?
July 14th, 2015, 12:04

It really is, especially if you frame it with a grammar lesson. "He should x the y..."

johnny
July 14th, 2015, 12:09
Those ideas sound great. I wish this thread had come up earlier.

Gizmotech
July 14th, 2015, 13:01

This is exactly what I do with mine (minus the scribblenauts) and several of the teachers are also using their ipads/iphones in class similarly. One teacher has completely abandoned the CDs and uses his old iphone 4 for this.

Jiggit
July 14th, 2015, 13:47
It really is, especially if you frame it with a grammar lesson. "He should x the y..."

I xed your momma's y last night.

uthinkimlost?
July 14th, 2015, 13:49
I xed your momma's y last night.

That explains why she A-ed in her B.

Ebi
July 14th, 2015, 16:11
It's great! I don't have an iPad, but I have a rom of the second DS game the uses adjectives (Super Scribble Nauts) and I've used it in class several times. I usually have to pick out easy puzzles though to keep things focused or else I just play with the opening screen stage.

I want to get the Japanese version eventually but I've yet to find a cheap copy.

CUPS
July 21st, 2015, 15:05
I don't understand those of you with schools that say you can't bring in outside technology. As long as you're not hooking it up to their network then what's their problem I you're just using your own laptop to make worksheets or whatever then how could that possibly interfere with the school's network etc?

Ebi
July 21st, 2015, 15:32
I don't understand those of you with schools that say you can't bring in outside technology. As long as you're not hooking it up to their network then what's their problem I you're just using your own laptop to make worksheets or whatever then how could that possibly interfere with the school's network etc?
Students can't bring smartphones/iPods/iPads, therefore we're supposed to set an example and not use them around students. At least my school isn't so strict that we have to hide them at all times (I keep mine in a stand on my desk) but I know a few schools that insist on that.

Usually it comes down to your principal or vice principal and their preferences toward technology. If they think anything more advanced than a calculator = games and slacking off, then it's probably not allowed. Heck, I'm sure some senior staff would prefer going back to using an abacus instead.

Jiggit
July 21st, 2015, 15:42
One of my teachers told me 3rd grade students couldn't use powerpoint so she had them print off tiny black and white pictures to make their presentations. Less than a month later she was in charge of first grade students making presentations for their australia trip and all of them could use it. Abacus probably sounds nice and comfy to her.

Gizmotech
July 21st, 2015, 15:50
Hey, all it takes is a few teachers to show how useful the technology can be in the class room to slowly change minds. I mean, I JUST left a class where 40 kids downloaded m4a files for their summer homework book. They have this on CD, but I know that none of them use it. However, on their phone it's now technology they are familiar with (and is natural to them, more so than a CD) so they actually will do it and do the listening.

This has been a very positive example to the rest of the school that student technology CAN BE safe in the classroom when used correctly. Sure there are still concerns about people having tech (yay poverty), or bullying (what a load of horse shit to be worried about), but for th emost part it can be pretty productive.

That being said, I can't wait for when I start bringing in my MacBook Pro to replace this useless work computer. Yet again, I'll connect it up to the school network (without their permission), and they'll wince but give up cuz they know if I got it on the network, they really can't keep me off it :P