PDA

View Full Version : Interac Placements - 2015

enlight85
June 18th, 2015, 04:07
Hello all,

It's been a while since I joined the forum, initially via the JET Programme, but that didn't go so well, and now via Interac.

They've been incredibly helpful and supportive of my application and guided me through each step of the process so I can't complain so far.

I missed a phone call today from the Tokyo office but they left a voice mail saying that they wanted to discuss placement, so that sounds positive! I am waiting for them to call back...

I recognise that this side of the forum is relatively dead compared to the other sections but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has received their placements yet for the August 2015 - January 2016 period?

Also, general queries and findings thread?

I've found Interac's UK office to be really supportive of my application, going the extra mile to help me through some... complications that I've had.

Ebi
June 18th, 2015, 11:12
Congrats! I hope you find out your placement soon. I'm not an Interac ALT, so I'm afraid I can't answer any of your questions, but I've known my share of people who have been hired through the program. In my area at least, people seem pretty satisfied with it. Hopefully you end up someplace that you like too. Do you have any placement preferences?

retro
June 18th, 2015, 21:10
Hey, I remember you from the UK JET thread, looks like we're still in the same boat! Also missed a call this morning, waiting for them to give me a ring back :)

Neycourt
June 19th, 2015, 12:53
Hey all, I'm probably I'm a similar boat as you guys. I got alternate in JET and rather than sitting around with my fingers crossed I went for Interac. Got my placement info via phone call today! I have been offered a placement in Okayama city. It looks like a decently sized town and very beautiful from what I can tell. Right now I'm very happy with this placement, and will probably send an acceptance email within the next 24 hours. I was really hoping I would get placed in a somewhat urban area, so this placement seems perfect for me!

enlight85
June 20th, 2015, 07:29
Sakai City, here I come! My preference was Osaka, Kyoto or Shiga prefectures and Osaka came through! I'm off to Tokyo to meet some friends on 10th August and starting in Sakai on the 16th. My wife joins me the following month.

Retro, I remember you too!

enlight85
June 20th, 2015, 07:30
Well done on your placement, Neycourt! Okayama seems lovely and not too far!

Zolrak 22
June 20th, 2015, 08:48
That's awesome you guys, let us know how the process goes and keep us updated when you get there. [emoji1]

worried
June 22nd, 2015, 18:43
Hey man! Long time no see. Glad to hear you received your placement. I made a very specific request for Nisshin, Nagoya or Aichi [in that order] so I'm still waiting to hear back about mine. Here's hoping I receive a favourable call from Japan soon. Interac recently listed job openings in Aichi on Gaijinpot, so I think I'll get Aichi Prefecture at the very least. Just want to hear back soon, as I need to book my flight(!) I recently completed my background check, and was asked to update my resume on Friday so that the end date for my current job matched up to my CoE application. They'll be submitting that soon, so I guess I'll get my CoE in July...assuming I have a placement. Counting the days. Come on, Nagoya! 8 weeks to go...

worried
June 22nd, 2015, 18:52
Also, like yourself - communication and support has been nothing but great since I started this process. I've been waiting for Interac to live up to its reputation on Glassdoor but don't have any complaints thus far. Let's hope this continues!

kmep0
June 23rd, 2015, 05:21
How long did it take for people to get their placement information after the 'placement introduction' email? I'm waiting for an update, I would like to book the flight ASAP and sort out my visa.

kmep0
June 23rd, 2015, 05:47
That's awesome you guys, let us know how the process goes and keep us updated when you get there. [emoji1]

I remember reading on the US topic you didn't get a place with JET, out of curiosity, are you going to apply with Interac or try JET again?

Neycourt
June 23rd, 2015, 07:27
Same here. Waiting to be contacted by the Hiroshima branch and then book my flight haha

Zolrak 22
June 24th, 2015, 22:13
I remember reading on the US topic you didn't get a place with JET, out of curiosity, are you going to apply with Interac or try JET again?
Applying next year, saving money in the meantime.

I thought about Interac, but didn't think I had enough funds for the whole ordeal. [emoji14]

(I'd rather have too much than not enough. )

kmep0
June 24th, 2015, 23:22

I thought about Interac, but didn't think I had enough funds for the whole ordeal. [emoji14]

Good luck. I applied to JET on a whim, I could make my application a lot stronger, but at this point - I just want to get out there ASAP.

kmep0
June 24th, 2015, 23:26
Hey man! Long time no see. Glad to hear you received your placement. I made a very specific request for Nisshin, Nagoya or Aichi [in that order] so I'm still waiting to hear back about mine. Here's hoping I receive a favourable call from Japan soon. Interac recently listed job openings in Aichi on Gaijinpot, so I think I'll get Aichi Prefecture at the very least. Just want to hear back soon, as I need to book my flight(!) I recently completed my background check, and was asked to update my resume on Friday so that the end date for my current job matched up to my CoE application. They'll be submitting that soon, so I guess I'll get my CoE in July...assuming I have a placement. Counting the days. Come on, Nagoya! 8 weeks to go...

I got an email about Interac's online learning, still waiting on a placement though!

Same here. Waiting to be contacted by the Hiroshima branch and then book my flight haha

How long after getting the placement introduction email did you get the phone call offering you a placement?

worried
June 25th, 2015, 02:14
I have received neither a placement introduction email or online learning email D8 What am I missing out on?

BifCarbet
June 25th, 2015, 02:16

You should crowdsource one of your letters of rec to all of us. We can have a thread where we start your letter, make corrections and additions, then we all unilaterally agree on a final draft, and Beer Baron sends it to you.

worried
June 25th, 2015, 02:42
I have received neither a placement introduction email or online learning email D8 What am I missing out on?
Ah this guy explains it:
Interact confessions feat. Cookies - YouTube (http://youtu.be/d964HmJCrQ8)

kmep0
June 25th, 2015, 04:54

Hey there, I saw that you're a recent British grad too! The email gives a link to access some online learning, apparently it takes 6 hours to complete the coursework, but you can stop and start at any time. The modules are titled, working in schools, teaching theory, living in Japan etc. Not checked it out yet.

worried
June 25th, 2015, 06:18
Hey man, thanks for the clarification! Six hours of online training?! Gah. At least we can spread it out. :) Much rather do the practical training we'll have in Japan. Though I've heard even that's pretty brutal. Hope I get the email soon!

worried
June 25th, 2015, 18:08
Just received the placement introduction email ^_^ One part stood out.

For those of us still waiting, we may not receive our arrival information until July 21st at the very latest...! Eep.

kmep0
June 26th, 2015, 19:56
I'm hoping that's the worst case scenario...

"Oh you're going to Japan?! Where are you going to be placed? When do you fly out?"
"I don't know."

It's the UNCERTAINTY that I don't like, I don't mind if they tell me to come on date X and we'll place you when you get here, just make some progress so I can try and find a decently priced ticket and sort out my visa.

worried
June 27th, 2015, 00:53
Agreed. It'd be better if they sent us all to Tokyo on the same day like they do with JET. At least then we'd have a city and date to plan around. I've never left booking an international flight to 7 weeks before departure in my life ^^ Hope all the bargains are still waiting for us when we do find out our placement details.

Going by the Interac Facebook page, they always have arrival dates on or just after August 15th.

Zolrak 22
June 27th, 2015, 02:49
You should crowdsource one of your letters of rec to all of us.

As awesome as that sounds, I don't know how legitimate it would seem to the government.

I mean, I don't think anyone here knows me in person, so [emoji53].

But if it was a real thing that could be considered, that would be pretty great. [emoji14]

retro
June 27th, 2015, 07:00
I've been placed in Sakai too, enlight85!

Everyone who has their placements, are you finding your own place to stay or taking Interac up on their LeoPalace offer?

worried
June 30th, 2015, 02:12
Assuming they tell me my placement soon, I'm going to try and pursue a share house. They've let us join the Facebook group now!

Zolrak 22
June 30th, 2015, 03:40
I'm going to try and pursue a share house.

Is it to save money or to meet people?

If it's the latter, I'm sure there's easier ways to do that.

Unless you want to relieve your college days for some reason.

worried
June 30th, 2015, 17:18
It's primarily to save money, or to get the most for the money.

As an example, there's a share house I know of that has a fixed rent of 60,000 yen a month all-inclusive. That's electricity, water and Internet. Kitchen area is communal, but spacious, bedrooms are huge and many foreign teachers live there. The staff also speak English. Just a few simple comforts like that at 20,000 less a month can make all the difference.

But this plan depends entirely on how soon I hear my placement. If it's too late to chase stuff up, I'll stick to Leo palace.

enlight85
July 1st, 2015, 04:19
I've been placed in Sakai too, enlight85!

Everyone who has their placements, are you finding your own place to stay or taking Interac up on their LeoPalace offer?

Great news! I am looking for accommodation myself. They did offer the Leopalace option though...

Neycourt
July 23rd, 2015, 01:24
I haven't been notified about any accommodation options yet, but I assume they will offer me a Leopalace option at some point. Does anyone here have any experience with Leopalace? Interac advises to bring 500,000 yen for all your startup costs and first month of living before your first paycheck. If anyone has experience with the first month of Interac I'd just really like to try to get an idea of how much of that 500,000 yen will be eaten into

worried
July 24th, 2015, 15:49
I'm bringing 200,000 yen and I'll barely get halfway before pay day. Made a tidy saving by finding my own place, leopalace would have really screwed me over in the long run. Of your 500,000, I expect you'll eat into half with your apartment start up costs till pay day.

Neycourt
August 2nd, 2015, 08:59
Looks like I'm going to be heading out to the Chicago consulate this week to apply for my work visa. Do you guys think there's any kind of dress requirement when you go in to apply for your visa? Obviously I'm going to get my passport sized photo taken in business attire, but I was planning on meeting some friends in the city and didn't really want to be stuck in my suit in the hot weather all day haha. I figure it should be fine to show up in casual wear but I don't want to assume anything, haha.

BifCarbet
August 2nd, 2015, 10:14
I'd go in slacks and a polo.