PDA

View Full Version : Preserving the wa(shoku)

sourdoughsushi
July 2nd, 2015, 08:41
http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/niigata-town-drops-milk-from-school-lunches

What do you guys think about this?

Cbill1
July 2nd, 2015, 08:59
"...the anti-dairy camp says that’s space in the children’s stomachs that would be better occupied by bigger portions of nutritious rice or entrees."

"once you weigh the negatives of eating sweets against the positives of getting more calcium, nutritionally, it’s kind of a wash."

I think the lack of awareness that some Japanese people have about what constitutes a balanced diet is astounding.

Jiggit
July 2nd, 2015, 09:18
AAAAAAAH

uthinkimlost?
July 2nd, 2015, 09:20
The kids only get polished rice, the kind with all the nutrients washed away, right?

Jiggit
July 2nd, 2015, 09:21
You're thinking of real nutrients. They're talking about the pure nourishment of the soul that flows from glorious Japanese culture as like unto mana from heaven.

sourdoughsushi
July 2nd, 2015, 10:23
I know there are plenty of people out there that think anyone past infancy shouldnt be drinking milk, or there are people out there that think humans shouldn't be drinking another specie's milk. There are soooo many other reasons to argue against having milk that have to do with science or nutrition that I could try and respect. But these scammers are reasoning with preserving Japan's history of malnourishment or just the fact milk pairs badly with prego fish. Give me a break.

Wouldn't something with more protein or fiber do these kids better for their part time job (bukatsu) so they've got fuel burning later into the day?

webstaa
July 2nd, 2015, 10:28
Sounds like the town doesn't have a dietitian on staff and the local ag co-op is taking advantage of that.

sourdoughsushi
July 2nd, 2015, 10:32
Sounds like the town doesn't have a dietitian on staff and the local ag co-op is taking advantage of that.

It definitely sounds like backs are getting rubbed, but it does reflect on a lot of the thinking here.

Cbill1
July 2nd, 2015, 10:37
It definitely sounds like backs are getting rubbed, but it does reflect on a lot of the thinking here.

"You shouldn't eat bread! It's very unhealthy. Americans are so fat because they eat so much bread," says the Japanese coworker as they proceed to eat a pound of white rice.

BifCarbet
July 2nd, 2015, 10:39
"You shouldn't eat bread! It's very unhealthy. Americans are so fat because they eat so much bread," says the Japanese coworker as they proceed to eat a pound of white rice.

Bread is America's SYUSYOKU da!

sourdoughsushi
July 2nd, 2015, 10:58
As someone who's put a lot of work into learning about nutrition through weight-loss (meeting optimal nutrients through least amount of calories) yakisoba-pan days make me weep.

uthinkimlost?
July 2nd, 2015, 10:59
As someone who's put a lot of work into learning about nutrition through weight-loss (meeting optimal nutrients through least amount of calories)

The Politically Correct term is Reformed Fatty, I believe.

Jiggit
July 2nd, 2015, 12:24

Is said Japanese coworker fat?

Cbill1
July 2nd, 2015, 13:02
Is said Japanese coworker fat?

Not any fatter than me.

Ebi
July 2nd, 2015, 16:59
http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/niigata-town-drops-milk-from-school-lunches

What do you guys think about this?
Huh, I got an error message when I tried to look at the site.

But based on what people commented about it, I think I get the gist. My school lunches are kind of sad. My first school had a nutritionist on staff so things were pretty well balanced and went together, within reason, so I thought school lunch wasn't that bad. But now I get all of my meals from kyushoku centers, and I swear they rarely make an effort to put things together in a logical way. A lot of meals are all brown or all carbs. Sometimes we get bread but nothing to put on it and we sometimes get pregnant fish without any sauce to drown out the taste. Last year we had beans in our meals more often than not. We get non-polished rice sometimes, but only like once every other week. I really wonder what guidelines they use for nutrition since I'm betting the calories also vary widely day by day.

That said, I can't complain too much since the price and convenience simply can't be beat.

sourdoughsushi
July 2nd, 2015, 18:40
Basically it's talking about a town that did away with milk and it quotes some housewives moaning about how milk doesnt pair well with fish and milk should be replaced with more rice.

Ebi
July 2nd, 2015, 21:05
Ugh, there's already way too much rice in my kyushoku. I usually return half of it uneaten into the collection bin. No idea what they do with it. (Make sembei, perhaps?)

At least the milk isn't packed full of sugar like American school lunch milks usually are. Unless places have finally stopped serving chocolate milk. Chocolate milk is definitely a drink that does not go with fish.

Ode to a Grasshopper
July 3rd, 2015, 06:51
Can they do away with the rest of the damn kyushoku as well?

Ananasboat
July 3rd, 2015, 07:58

Hey, my kyushoku had gyoza yesterday.

... But yeah, get rid of most of it please.

Ebi
July 3rd, 2015, 09:42
I like Japanese school lunches better than American ones most of the time, so I'm not a fan of ditching it entirely.

Especially since it's the only solid meal for a lot of kids...

webstaa
July 3rd, 2015, 11:16
I like Japanese school lunches better than American ones most of the time, so I'm not a fan of ditching it entirely.

Especially since it's the only solid meal for a lot of kids...

My kyushoku is great 90% of the time. Me not liking fish is a personal problem, not a problem with kyushoku. Although I eat quite a bit less in terms of calories when I make or buy my own lunch. Especially due to the 'give the fattie an extra double serving' that happens occasionally.

Gizmotech
July 3rd, 2015, 12:05
http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/city-in-niigata-drops-milk-from-school-lunches

the new link.

Also, seeing as they aren't losing it entirely (just moving it away from lunch) it's not so bad. I mean seriously, milk and natto do not go together.

webstaa
July 3rd, 2015, 12:21
I wonder if their menu is completely Japanese(ish) food anyways. Most people I talk to have 1-2 days a week with (rice-flour) bread and western (style) entrees. My town's school lunch center dropped from bread 2x a week down to only once per week because the bakery supplying the bread closed. Between that and supplying as many ingredients as possible from within the town or from neighboring towns, the menu has skewed a bit over the last several years (according to teachers that have been at my school for much longer than I.) Our milk comes from two towns over - my town has a lot of cattle, but they're primarily extremely high quality beef cattle.

sourdoughsushi
July 3rd, 2015, 12:30
They changed the article, pretty sure it didnt mention special drink time before, BOOO. That's fair, though.

(I still think the reasoning is weak) Personally, my gaikoku opinion is that tuna doesn't pair well with my gaikoku pizza, but what do I know.

webstaa
July 3rd, 2015, 12:51
They changed the article, pretty sure it didnt mention special drink time before, BOOO. That's fair, though.

(I still think the reasoning is weak) Personally, my gaikoku opinion is that tuna doesn't pair well with my gaikoku pizza, but what do I know.

Corn on pizza works surprisingly well, as long as it's not a layer of it. The only fish I could ever handle on pizza is anchovies. And only if they're smothered under something else, like 48 different types of meat.

sourdoughsushi
July 3rd, 2015, 18:15
Corn on pizza works surprisingly well, as long as it's not a layer of it. The only fish I could ever handle on pizza is anchovies. And only if they're smothered under something else, like 48 different types of meat.

I'm guilty of just liking corn in general. But word on the meat. If you didn't nearly endanger an animal to make it, it needs more meat.

Virgil
July 3rd, 2015, 18:22
I made my own pizza last night, and it completely rocked any pizza I've had in japan

Jiggit
July 3rd, 2015, 18:45
Corn is too sweet, overpowers anything you put it in.

acpc2203
July 3rd, 2015, 18:50
Yeah Japanese pizza is basically the opposite of what I like. Just give me the basics.

word
July 3rd, 2015, 21:36
I am blessed/cursed to live two blocks from the best pizza place in Japan.

sourdoughsushi
July 4th, 2015, 16:21
Last night I got really desperate and just doctored up some decent bread and dipped it into this really good arrabbiata sauce from Italy. It did the job.

Ebi
July 4th, 2015, 17:52
Yeah Japanese pizza is basically the opposite of what I like. Just give me the basics.

I made my own pizza last night, and it completely rocked any pizza I've had in japan

I am blessed/cursed to live two blocks from the best pizza place in Japan.
Question to you guys, and anyone else with strong opinions on pizza, what would you define as "real" pizza? Because I've heard that Japanese pizza made a decent Italian places can be pretty "authentic", but it's a very different style to what's considered standard in, say, the US. Are you more into American-style pizza or Italian-style Neapolitan pizza (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_pizza)?

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that I had super weird food preferences as a kid and one of the things I absolutely hated growing up was pizza. (I also hated hamburgers, hotdogs, steak, and basically any other "American" staple.) Thankfully I've grown out of that and I'll eat anything now, but I don't really get the "Japanese pizza is so terrible!" complaint since I didn't grow up liking American pizza. For the record, I really like US pizza now, but I can totally live without it.

Virgil
July 4th, 2015, 18:01
I actually experienced the same thing hating pizza as a kid. I started liking pizza when I started making my own. Honestly Japanese pizza is pretty close to what I make, but I find the flavor a bit thin and lacking.

moonbeam
July 5th, 2015, 05:04
I was weird about my pizza...I didn't like the cheese or toppings so I would take all of that off and just east the bread and sauce. Now I'll eat it normal, just as long as there's no meat. I haven't had it yet, but the thought of putting corn on my pizza is just strange.

Zolrak 22
July 5th, 2015, 13:57
Eh, can't be that different from having it with rice or corned beef.

Ebi
July 5th, 2015, 14:12
I was weird about my pizza...I didn't like the cheese or toppings so I would take all of that off and just east the bread and sauce.
Oh wow, I did that too. There are dozens of us... dozens!

johnny
July 5th, 2015, 14:40
My favourite kyuushoku is a big bowl of rice with a mochi soup and a mochi dessert to finish it off.

singinglupines
July 8th, 2015, 01:30
I grew up in Europe and spent my summers there and Japanese pizza definitely sounds quite similar. American pizza is very different. My fav pizza is thin crust with tuna fish on it. Much more into Italian style pizza or New York style pizza in the US.