PDA

View Full Version : JET or Interac

Haleydru0519
July 26th, 2015, 10:50
Hey guys, I am really determined on applying for JET. I feel more comfortable with the company and I have more information on it and know more people who have been/are currently working with them. I really want to know more about Interac though. I feel I can't make a proper decision without knowing more about this company. I know there are many more companies that send people to teach English in Japan, and I've looked at them, but JET and Interac will be my two main focuses. Any input on either? Thank you!!

texxaport
July 26th, 2015, 11:04
I think the general consensus it that JET pays better and has better support for their ALTs but Interac has the added bonus of being more likely placed in a big city (if that's your thing). A lot of JETs get placed rurally.

Haleydru0519
July 26th, 2015, 11:06
ok, I didn't know about the city thing with Interac. I prefer rural or suburban. Thank you!

Zolrak 22
July 26th, 2015, 12:19
Interac doesn't play for the flight; Jet does.

Interac is more of a business experience, whereas JET is advertised as sharing culture.

If you are looking for something more akin to Interac, I remember hearing about a better paying company.

I think it was Altia Central? Or another one along those lines.

Edit :

It doesn't hurt to apply to both if we are being honest.

Though JET's process takes longer.

word
July 26th, 2015, 12:40
It doesn't hurt to apply to both of we are being honest.

Though JET's process takes longer.

Also, Interac knows that people do this and you'll usually get an offer before you hear back from the JET process, which can sometimes put you in a bit of a bind.

Ace
July 26th, 2015, 13:24
Someone explained to me once that Intrac is focused around being a teaching program, whereas JET is more focused on being a language and cultural exchange program. I don't really know how true that is myself yet, but I'm sure some other people here can chime in.

haitch40
July 26th, 2015, 13:33
I think it was Altia Central? Or another one along those lines.

Just looked at them. They seem to do a pretty good deal. Why are they not the favourite second choice though? Surely there is something wrong with them.

webstaa
July 27th, 2015, 08:12
Someone explained to me once that Intrac is focused around being a teaching program, whereas JET is more focused on being a language and cultural exchange program. I don't really know how true that is myself yet, but I'm sure some other people here can chime in.

Interac is a private company that hires people specifically to work as English teachers. JET hires people to come to Japan and work as English teachers, international relations coordinators, or high level sports coaches - and be the local foreigner. Which is why ALTs generally have their hands held and everything sorted out for them - so they can be a model foreigner living in whatever community.

genkispirit
July 27th, 2015, 11:08
I think, personally, the key difference between the two is that Interac is a business that hires teachers. They are a dispatch company first and foremost. It's easier to get in to, they don't pay for your flight, and, to my knowledge, subsidized living is more rare through Interac. JET provides a lot more in terms of support, as people have already mentioned, and is far more community and 'grass roots' than Interac.

I feel a central component of the two programs is that JETs sign a contract with the BoE for which they will be working. Interac ALTs sign a contract with Interac. Which means you answer to Interac not the school, which can cause tension, frustration and in some cases, I would assume, miscommunication of contract, rights, and other things.

My two cents:

If you're fresh out of university and looking for a job JET provides more support, greater community, far more "hand holding" and is probably a better option.

If you're looking for a job and have financial stability already and are just looking to do something as a change of pace, perhaps Interac is a better option.

However, take it all with a grain of salt. Do what you feel you're comfortable doing. Living in a new country is adventure and can be stressful; however, it's worth doing, if only for a year. Everyone's life style, living situation, and personality will GREATLY weigh upon their situation; it's the same in your home country. Go to Japan, however you can, and be open to the experience and you'll have a great time. If you expect to live the same way as you do in your home country you'll be in a for a rude awakening in all aspects of life.

johnny
July 27th, 2015, 15:18
Jet pays more per month than Interac and pays for your flight. Also, if I am not mistaken, you don't get paid during the school breaks with Interac which means that if you sign in with them, you need to be careful with your money.

genkispirit
July 27th, 2015, 17:08
Jet pays more per month than Interac and pays for your flight. Also, if I am not mistaken, you don't get paid during the school breaks with Interac which means that if you sign in with them, you need to be careful with your money.

I interviewed with Interac before accepting with JET. Interac you make pro-rated salary during the holidays. You work less days, you get paid less.

johnny
July 28th, 2015, 02:21
I interviewed with Interac before accepting with JET. Interac you make pro-rated salary during the holidays. You work less days, you get paid less.

Do you remember how much you get paid during those periods?

patjs
July 28th, 2015, 04:13
Just keep in mind that JET isn't a company. It's the program that interviews and screens the candidates and places them with local municipalities. So, you're working directly for the BOE you are placed with.

In the case of Interac they contract with the BOE so everything goes through them.

One good thing about JET that I don't think was mentioned yet is that with some of the older placements that have been around forever the housing for the ALTs is often long-established and in some cases you could find yourself in a giant house for free or almost nothing. That can make a huge difference in salary in some cases, obviously.

Of course, that's not a given.

patjs
July 28th, 2015, 04:15
I guess I should point out on the flip side, if you're the type of person who doesn't want your hand held or have everything pre-determined about your housing then Interac could turn out to be the better deal.

haitch40
July 28th, 2015, 04:49
Can I ask why everyone looks to Interac? There are loads of companies out there.

BifCarbet
July 28th, 2015, 04:56
In'rrac big.

Moirica
July 28th, 2015, 06:13
In terms of the pro-rating during vacation months they tell you that it's basically 50% for August, 75% for December and though they don't state it as explicitly they do tell you that you are prorated between contracts as well, so in March/April you are likely to get less too though how much is dependent on the contract.

I can definitely agree with what most people above have said. As far as why Interac is the big choice from what I can tell it's a combination of them being around for quite a while as well as being a major overseas recruiter. Many of the other companies don't seem to have as big of an overseas recruiting front and they do a lot from in Japan itself. My view on the matter is that if you have the time and desire to wait for JET then that is your best choice, they pay better as well as all of the other perks that have been mentioned. If you think you can be smart with money, including saving the $5000+ to get started in Japan, then Interac is a decent enough choice. Interac also boasts about their flexibility with placements and that after one contract you can always request to move somewhere else in Japan whereas with JET you are a little stuck where you end up and all. The best choice is really an individual thing though and it's not like there haven't been a ton of people comparing the two in all sorts of blogs and videos.

Also, if it hasn't been obvious, I am answering from the perspective of someone who has signed on with Interac though I'm not in Japan yet (Spring 2016). So far my impression has been exceedingly good and everyone I spoke with during the interviews was incredibly kind. As for time wise I didn't exactly apply in peak times, just afterwords actually, but from start to offer of employment it took just over a month (40 days) for me.

webstaa
July 28th, 2015, 08:44
Can I ask why everyone looks to Interac? There are loads of companies out there.

In terms of numbers of ALTs, JET is the largest (4101 ALTs as of July 1). Interac is number two (around 2500.) And then everything else - like Borderlink etc is close to an order of magnitude smaller.

mrcharisma
July 28th, 2015, 19:41
Just looked at them. They seem to do a pretty good deal. Why are they not the favourite second choice though? Surely there is something wrong with them.

I knew a girl who went through them a few years back. She seemed to have a better deal than most JETs in my prefecture so I also never understood why they're not more well-known.

patjs
July 28th, 2015, 23:12
I knew a girl who went through them a few years back. She seemed to have a better deal than most JETs in my prefecture so I also never understood why they're not more well-known.

I've heard actually mostly good things about them. I think they pay pretty well and I think I read they actually offer some kind of possibility for advancement in the company.

haitch40
July 29th, 2015, 00:54

I've heard actually mostly good things about them. I think they pay pretty well and I think I read they actually offer some kind of possibility for advancement in the company.
If that is the case. They are now my first choice if I don't get JET.

Ace
July 29th, 2015, 10:51
Also, if it hasn't been obvious, I am answering from the perspective of someone who has signed on with Interac though I'm not in Japan yet (Spring 2016). So far my impression has been exceedingly good and everyone I spoke with during the interviews was incredibly kind. As for time wise I didn't exactly apply in peak times, just afterwords actually, but from start to offer of employment it took just over a month (40 days) for me.

You got accepted for Spring 2016 already? Jeez. That's almost a 8 month wait to find out about your placement and 9 to move out there. If you're going to wait that long, why not apply for early departure for JET? Wouldn't it be better to compare your options if you got accepted for JET too?

The $5000+ to get started in Japan seems a little steep. I understand why it's that number, but if you're looking for the flexibility in placements and the ability to move somewhere else a year later, aren't you spending almost the same amount of money on moving costs for the next year? Think about it: agency fees, key money, insurance, paying a mover, buying new furniture and appliances if need be, etc. That's a lot of money to shell out for the ability to be flexible.

word
July 29th, 2015, 10:51
If that is the case. They are now my first choice if I don't get JET.

If you want to get into JET. You might want to brush up on your grammar skills.

Lorenzo
July 29th, 2015, 11:27
Yes; I agree.

haitch40
July 29th, 2015, 11:50
I made a mistake!

I am a terrible neckbeard.

uthinkimlost?
July 29th, 2015, 11:53
I made a mistake!

I am a terrible neckbeard.

That only happens when you acknowledge the mistake!

word
July 29th, 2015, 12:00
That only happens when you acknowledge the mistake!
True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.

MikeCarter
July 29th, 2015, 13:36

Probably has something to do with this:

"We typically employ about 10 to 20 overseas applicants each April, and another 5 to 10 or so in September. "

Too small a company to be a reliable second choice. They also require you have some sort of Japanese language ability before-hand. Does seem like a good choice if you can meet the requirements though.

johnny
July 29th, 2015, 17:04
True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.

Neckbeards have become the new hipster. They are the new mythical characters that represent everything people hate.

genkispirit
July 29th, 2015, 22:38

I don't think I've ever heard "Grammar Nazi" put so eloquently. I shall immortalize this moment.

acpc2203
July 30th, 2015, 05:08
Neckbeards have become the new hipster. They are the new mythical characters that represent everything people hate.
This tbh

Moirica
August 1st, 2015, 15:23
You got accepted for Spring 2016 already? Jeez. That's almost a 8 month wait to find out about your placement and 9 to move out there. If you're going to wait that long, why not apply for early departure for JET? Wouldn't it be better to compare your options if you got accepted for JET too?

The $5000+ to get started in Japan seems a little steep. I understand why it's that number, but if you're looking for the flexibility in placements and the ability to move somewhere else a year later, aren't you spending almost the same amount of money on moving costs for the next year? Think about it: agency fees, key money, insurance, paying a mover, buying new furniture and appliances if need be, etc. That's a lot of money to shell out for the ability to be flexible.

Honestly I forgot early departure was a thing until you mentioned it just now. I suppose I could apply for JET to compare options and all. It's something I might consider when the applications open. It will also depend on when Interac starts filing the paperwork for things like the CoE because as far as I understand it once they apply for that you are pretty much locked in with them. I could be wrong on that though.

Ace
August 1st, 2015, 15:30
Honestly I forgot early departure was a thing until you mentioned it just now. I suppose I could apply for JET to compare options and all. It's something I might consider when the applications open. It will also depend on when Interac starts filing the paperwork for things like the CoE because as far as I understand it once they apply for that you are pretty much locked in with them. I could be wrong on that though.

Locked in? Says who? I mean it couldn't hurt to apply to JET and do an interview and then decide what to do from there.

Moirica
August 2nd, 2015, 12:44
Locked in? Says who? I mean it couldn't hurt to apply to JET and do an interview and then decide what to do from there.

Well as far as I am aware, and I could be wrong, but once a company applies for your certificate of eligibility then it's not as easy to switch. They mention something about how if multiple companies apply for a CoE for you then immigration could flag that and reject the applications. You're right though, it wouldn't hurt to apply to JET as well.

Valkerion
August 10th, 2015, 01:45
Probably has something to do with this:

"We typically employ about 10 to 20 overseas applicants each April, and another 5 to 10 or so in September. "

Too small a company to be a reliable second choice. They also require you have some sort of Japanese language ability before-hand. Does seem like a good choice if you can meet the requirements though.

Yeah that's definitely a company that wants people with some experience. Though the face value level of information right away on things like placement and what not is pretty good. Seems like a great choice for those who had a pretty big foundation of Japanese/Asia studies, some practical experience, and some non-book only language skills.