PDA

View Full Version : Age of JETS

starxrox
July 28th, 2015, 20:43
Just curious about the age of aspiring JETS and if people think it may influence their chances of selection.

I myself will be 30 next year if I go.

word
July 28th, 2015, 20:50
No worries. Older applicants invariably worry about this but it seems to not have all that much influence. Most JETs are younger but this is generally because it's easier for fresh graduates to apply. I've known lots of older JETs; my former co-ALT is 36 or 37 now (he transferred; is currently in his 5th year). It doesn't really get creepy until you're one of the rare 40-something-year-olds.

starxrox
July 28th, 2015, 20:52
Phew... I'd like to avoid being that creepy guy...

I'm still cool... I think? Cowabunga?

Cheers word.

word
July 28th, 2015, 21:12
Of course, if you're one of the 30-somethings who tries to act like the 20-somethings, you can easily be just as creepy/sad.

johnny
July 28th, 2015, 22:41
Phew... I'd like to avoid being that creepy guy...

Cheers word.

Meh, you might not hang out as much with the younger Jets. I hang out with all the 30 something Jets in my area instead.

haitch40
July 28th, 2015, 23:08

That is so 90s. Get with the times.

mrcharisma
July 29th, 2015, 00:00
JET still does tend to like 'em young, white and upper-middle class but it's a bit more diverse age wise than I expected. When I applied at 27 I expected to be the oldest person on the entire programme but at TO I barely made it into the top third of oldies.

I've noticed that with the weakening yen and loss of perks there seems to be more and more young "gap year" JETs in the intake, but that's purely speculative on my part.

starxrox
July 29th, 2015, 06:07
That is so 90s. Get with the times.

Haha you know I was takin' the piss right?

starxrox
July 29th, 2015, 06:09
I've noticed that with the weakening yen and loss of perks there seems to be more and more young "gap year" JETs in the intake, but that's purely speculative on my part.

Loss of perks you say?
What has changed? Sorry if that's been discussed before.

haitch40
July 29th, 2015, 06:32
Haha you know I was takin' the piss right?
Of course.

uthinkimlost?
July 29th, 2015, 08:14
Loss of perks you say?

The biggest changed is you now get taxed on your now smaller salary, greatly reducing your take home.

CLAIR no longer wants direct contact with you. Most communication is now to go through the CO.

On the plus side, you can now get real counselling services, and not spill your guts to someone whose only qualification is the JLPT N2.

What all that means for JET and etc is up for debate. There -seem- to be fewer 3rd and 4th years this year, but I never really took headcounts in the past. The current state of affairs just makes JET less than appealing for people with student loans or any kind of responsibilities.

webstaa
July 29th, 2015, 08:15
Loss of perks you say?

Salary was reduced for the 2012 intake year. At the same time, the requirement for COs to compensate for local taxes was dropped - so new JETs pay their local taxes out of their paycheck.

mrcharisma
July 29th, 2015, 08:29
JETs from outside the US or Ireland now have to pay residence tax from year one as well. UK JETs in first year now end up with about ¥600,000 less in their pocket at the end of the year than those who came pre-2012. As the pay now rises year-on-year though, incomers can "catch up" on salary by staying longer.

starxrox
July 29th, 2015, 08:31
Ahh right. Thanks all.

That's actually kinda disappointing and as an older potential JET... It makes me think that maybe I should focus on an actual career instead...

johnny
July 29th, 2015, 09:02
Ahh right. Thanks all.

That's actually kinda disappointing and as an older potential JET... It makes me think that maybe I should focus on an actual career instead...

That's why I'm headed home.

Lorenzo
July 29th, 2015, 09:07
Just to add to what charisma is saying, I was surprised by how many older people there were at the London orientation. Sure, the vast majority were young, either fresh out of Uni (me) or early-mid twenties, but there were a fair few who were definitely 30+. I wouldn't really be worried about it.

starxrox
July 29th, 2015, 10:12
That's why I'm headed home.

That's a bummer Johnny.
How long did you stick it out for?

johnny
July 30th, 2015, 12:57
Two years. They were a good two years and I have no regrets. Also, my student loans are finally gone and I have money saved up so I have time to look for a job that I want. Things could be a heck of a lot worse.

starxrox
July 30th, 2015, 13:04
Two years. They were a good two years and I have no regrets. Also, my student loans are finally gone and I have money saved up so I have time to look for a job that I want. Things could be a heck of a lot worse.

Nice work.
It's a tough call.
Maybe I should get some teaching experience under my belt in Australia, pay off my loans and then head over.

Gizmotech
July 30th, 2015, 21:53
Before doing that, check and see if continuity is required for seniority in Australia. If it is, do JET first, if it's not, have fun.

starxrox
September 2nd, 2015, 05:47
Before doing that, check and see if continuity is required for seniority in Australia. If it is, do JET first, if it's not, have fun.

So gizmotech... I have no idea what that means?

Gizmotech
September 2nd, 2015, 05:54
In the case of jobs like teaching, seniority (for promotion/pay) often requires continuous activity, and if you take a break (come on JET) before actually getting your proper career started those "training" years won't actually count.

starxrox
September 2nd, 2015, 07:51
@gizmotech

Ahh of course! Thanks mate.