PDA

View Full Version : Lunch-time juku?

Ananasboat
August 19th, 2015, 10:06
If afterschool activities aren't your jam, have you tried doing a lunch-time "juku" thing?

I've brought a ton of low level phonics books from America that I want to use with my elementary school kids, but I fear a lot of the teachers wouldn't use it during class, seeing as how it would take the entire year to get through these books. However, I think they'll be super helpful. So, with that I'm thinking a once-a-week juku/activities half hour for all grade levels is something I could do.

Any ideas on how to implement this? Any insight on how the teachers may feel about this? I have a few dedicated students in my schools, do you think they'd keep it up if it was only once a week?

I think it'll be a lot of fun, but then again I'm a huge nerd, so, womp.

Ini
August 19th, 2015, 11:25
If you go in half arsed and just wave a textbook around at a couple of teachers it's unlikely anyone will listen to you. Best bet would be to draw up a plan with a couple of possible scenarios and present it to the principal. Some ES schools are always interested in possible after school activities for the younger grades (it's quite a common problem for the younger grades to finish 5th period and the parents are at work and older siblings still have classes so there's nowhere for the little shits to go. Some schools have homework clubs so you could probably take over that for 1 day a week.) lunchtimes are possible I guess but you would need a teacher willing to give up their lunch break to sit in with you. Draw up a plan with some example lesson plans and goals with clear start and finish times and either show the principal/VP or if you have an enthusiastic HRT show them and have them present it to the higher ups.

Ananasboat
August 19th, 2015, 11:43
Sweet advice, zombie. I've been working on my plans today. Let's see if I can get something concrete before school starts.

Ananasboat
September 2nd, 2015, 09:43
So, the teacher who told me that there's no space to do the juku (because of the baby boom, obvs) has looked over my plans finally and put a green light to it. Thing is, he's opening it up to the townspeople as well. Since the school announcements get heard all over town, he says that he'll just announce it to the town and offer public English lessons.

Woo!

Ini
September 2nd, 2015, 10:28
Disaster.

will end up with a bunch of old women talking constantly in Japanese, disrupting the class and embarrassing the kids.

Jiggit
September 2nd, 2015, 10:31
Yeah, don't mean to rain on your parade Annie, but I think he's right. You're going to be giving up your lunch break to run a free Eikaiwa for retirees and housewives that you could be getting paid for (AND THAT WOULD BE AGAINST THE TERMS OF OUR CONTRACTS OF COURSE).

mothy
September 2nd, 2015, 10:56
Shh. Just let it happen. We need more interesting rants around here.

Ananasboat
September 2nd, 2015, 11:57
Nah, I don't mind really. Old ladies are alright. I was just kinda surprised when he was like "let's make it a neighborhood thing!"

But, if word catches on I'm doing a 30 minute eikaiwa at school, I might get people who want me to "volunteer" at their place.

Plus I've got an hour long lunch break after I leave this school anyway. It's pretty great.

Jiggit
September 2nd, 2015, 12:10
So long as you're fine with it, just saying don't be surprised if very few of your actual students show up.

Ananasboat
September 2nd, 2015, 12:12
I'm confident I can get a couple to join. There are some real nerds. And if it's old ladies I'll figure out what to do.

Jiggit
September 2nd, 2015, 12:18
If it gets to be a pain, try splitting the classes. Claim it's by "ability level" and run them on alternate weeks. Teach the kids how to say naughty words and the old biddies how to talk about tradishunal Japanese fundoshi.

Ananasboat
September 2nd, 2015, 12:50
Haha yeah, that would probably be alright to do.