PDA

View Full Version : Big changes are coming

Beer Baron
August 19th, 2015, 17:47
ITIL as we know it will cease to exist within a few months. The site will no longer be highly JET related and instead all current posts will be archived and locked. General chit-chat will be moved away from the more informational posts such as those about teaching or JET.

In the short term the site will become leaner, but in the long term hopefully a new community can be born from what remains of ITIL. The glory days of 2004-2010 are long gone and we must adapt. A decision will be made in Summer 2016 whether or not to continue the new ITIL or simply close up shop.

We're always looking for ideas and volunteers to help make the site a popular community. If you would like to help, get in contact with myself or word.

Thanks

Ini
August 19th, 2015, 18:09
https://simpsonswiki.com/w/images/7/7d/Agnes_Skinner.png
Children are so fat today! Isn’t there some way we can make money off that?

sounds like a solid plan: tempt them in the door with solid informational articles but hook them into staying with our saucy banter and heavy petting.

acpc2203
August 19th, 2015, 18:27
Yeah I think the facebook groups (The incoming groups as well as the prefectural/regional ones) have really stunted the community on here as well as a somewhat tarnished rep among JETs, moving away from being based purely around JET sounds like a good idea.

Ananasboat
August 20th, 2015, 10:19
So what'll be happening with VIP access?

Zolrak 22
August 20th, 2015, 14:52
So what'll be happening with VIP access?
The appeal of having to donate in order to receive access should probably stay if you ask me.

It's not like VIP was ever about JET specific activities.

Beer Baron
August 20th, 2015, 15:11
A VIP forum will continue to exist but how VIP access is acquired will change slightly. It will be subscription based rather than lifetime access. The current system of allowing people lifetime access for $5 isn't sustainable.
Full details will be posted in the near future

Ini
August 21st, 2015, 08:34
Based on this year all we need to do is dedicate the entire site to using MVNO sim cards in unlocked american and british smartphones and the newbs will be on us like white on rice.

uthinkimlost?
August 21st, 2015, 08:44
I dunno... If you want people to buy something, you have to have something to sell.

With no one generating content, why on Earth would anyone pay a subscription fee?

Ini
August 21st, 2015, 08:48
cant we make money streaming some of jiggits "private collection"?

Jiggit
August 21st, 2015, 08:51
Since DMM removed their support for WMP there have been no HD vids. I'm sitting on a goldmine, probably.

uthinkimlost?
August 21st, 2015, 08:52
cant we make money streaming some of jiggits "private collection"?

Nobody wants to see jiggits privates.

Virgil
August 21st, 2015, 09:01
Nobody wants to see jiggits privates.

Speak for yourself. In my mind Jiggit is a beautiful lady with man parts.

Ini
September 17th, 2015, 09:37
Are there any updates on what these big changes will look like? Are we talking about just closing down/consolidating some of the subforums or are we going full caitlyn jenner?

patjs
September 18th, 2015, 05:54
Maybe consider changing the name and refocusing to a general Japan/ life in Japan website with a separate JET and teaching area? I feel like everyone associates ITIL with JET only.

The Japan and Japanlife subreddits are fairly popular and are actually full of people who are not teachers or JETs. Outisde of reddit there aren't really any decent communities like that around actually.

Beer Baron
September 18th, 2015, 21:15
Ini - haven't had any time since the original post to look at it. I've been working 60-70hr weeks for about 2 months. End is hopefully in sight and get back to some sort of normality.

Ini
September 18th, 2015, 21:23
Damn, have you ended up with a japanese boss??? In that case dont worry about it.

Beer Baron
September 18th, 2015, 21:27
I don't know much any more, Ini. My brain turned to mush about 6 weeks ago.
All I know is, I'll be sitting here at my desk tomorrow and Sunday, and same again next week.
Tomorrow is Saturday isnt it? Gotta keep checking.

mothy
September 18th, 2015, 22:29
This matches your avatar.

Torinn88
September 19th, 2015, 16:18
If cost of upkeep or popularity is an issue, why not reduce the site/merge with another smaller site, and in its place encourage the use of a subreddit?

Ini
September 19th, 2015, 17:03
Because reddit is shit.

mothy
September 19th, 2015, 20:03
Because reddit is shit.

The wisest thing Ini has ever said.

Virgil
September 19th, 2015, 21:00
Because reddit is shit.
This.this.this.

I've tried to like reddit, but it's as unloveable as my future progeny.

mothy
September 19th, 2015, 21:53
More unlovable than the Nakada Ludeña clan.

Atalante
September 19th, 2015, 22:37
I feel like forums themselves are starting to die out, especially with the younger generation. Everything's on FB or Reddit. Most of the Japan-related forums are either gone or on life support, it's sad but just the way things are going. Especially with JET being a program which constantly cycles through younger people, it was only a matter of time that these sites became irrelevant.

I still love forums and really mourn their death. I find Reddit too confusing to use for following discussions, and I don't really like SNS sites in general.

mothy
September 24th, 2015, 13:01
Forums aren't quite dead yet, but all the real active ones I use are connected to a site with content.

Virgil
September 24th, 2015, 13:14
*Logs into BBS*

Back in my day sonny....

GodInStrafeMode
October 1st, 2015, 16:32
I find Reddit too confusing

What he/she said

uthinkimlost?
October 1st, 2015, 16:40
*xe