PDA

View Full Version : HyperDia

enlight85
September 14th, 2015, 07:06
I was so happy to see that HyperDia offers English support for getting round on the trains here in Japan! The only downside being that they charge double for that English version after the trial period is up.

Oh, their website still conducts free searches in English too. I guess that works the same.

Question; are there any other apps or sites you use to navigate trains and bus systems here in Japan? I cannot yet read-a-the Japanese...

How long did it take you to take the stabilisers off your bike and just start reading the slightly ambiguous rail signs?

Ini
September 14th, 2015, 07:20
google maps.....

webstaa
September 14th, 2015, 08:15
/thread

enlight85
September 14th, 2015, 20:41
Or is it?!

When I use Google Maps and it calibrates were I am, it just spins around lots and lots and never gets a grip on my location so it's useless as a 'find destination' tool for me.

Oh wait, it tells me the price of trains and buses on the static maps... Who knew!

/thread

Ini
September 14th, 2015, 20:52
Get a better phone

enlight85
September 15th, 2015, 07:18
Glad to see you back.

Frap
September 15th, 2015, 10:23
Reeeow!

weepinbell
September 15th, 2015, 14:42
Hypedia is bull shit, don't trust it... I only say this because I tried to use it to get a route to Fukuoka and it literally told me take a train to the other side of the country because it couldn't comprehend that there were 2 cities of the same name and got confused.... I figured it out because I looked up the line, but just sayin'. That could have been a terrible surprise if I didn't bother researching. Don't taking its word for everything.

Ananasboat
September 15th, 2015, 14:48
Huh, when I lived in Osaka it would give me this really crazy route to Kyoto that involved taking the shink to Fukuoka and then flying to Osaka and then taking a shink to Kyoto.

Other than that route alone I've never had issues with it not understanding where I meant to leave from.

weepinbell
September 15th, 2015, 15:11
Huh, when I lived in Osaka it would give me this really crazy route to Kyoto that involved taking the shink to Fukuoka and then flying to Osaka and then taking a shink to Kyoto.

Other than that route alone I've never had issues with it not understanding where I meant to leave from.

Lol no this was a legit mistake. I was looking up trains to Fukuoka and it says you can get there by taking the Thunderbird to Kanazawa then connect to Fukuoka... only problem is, the thunderbird to Kanazawa.... goes up west. Maybe there's a Kanazawa down in Kyushu as well and it got confused? The only reason I realized is because there's a stop that goes through Fukui which is the opposite way lol. And then I looked up Kanazawa and realized it was on the opposite side of the country! If you literally go to Hyperdia right now and type in Osaka to Fukuoka it should do the same thing.

So warning, despite what Hyperdia tries to say there is no limited express that'll get you from Osaka to Fukuoka... just shinkansen or by plane. :P

Ananasboat
September 15th, 2015, 15:16
I'm guessing my problem was that I lived in a town near a stop that exists around Fukuoka as well, because honestly that did very frequently throw me for a loop. There was no way it should take me upwards of 8 hours to get to Kyoto when I lived 90 minutes away on a slow train.

Virgil
September 15th, 2015, 15:16
Actually plane. It's way cheaper and faster.

weepinbell
September 15th, 2015, 15:18
Yeah, I'm flying and saving like ~70$.

Edit: But if that limited express wasn't a terrible lie I would have saved a hell of a lot more lol...

sourdoughsushi
September 15th, 2015, 18:21
One of my friends recommends Ekikara, but I don't suppose it spoon feeds you anything.

Isola
September 16th, 2015, 13:25
Lol no this was a legit mistake. I was looking up trains to Fukuoka and it says you can get there by taking the Thunderbird to Kanazawa then connect to Fukuoka... only problem is, the thunderbird to Kanazawa.... goes up west. Maybe there's a Kanazawa down in Kyushu as well and it got confused? The only reason I realized is because there's a stop that goes through Fukui which is the opposite way lol. And then I looked up Kanazawa and realized it was on the opposite side of the country! If you literally go to Hyperdia right now and type in Osaka to Fukuoka it should do the same thing.

So warning, despite what Hyperdia tries to say there is no limited express that'll get you from Osaka to Fukuoka... just shinkansen or by plane. :P

Hyperdia uses names of stations, not cities, and there actually isn't a Fukuoka Station in Fukuoka. The one on Hyperdia is labeled Fukuoka (Toyama). If you know what station you want to go to, Hyperdia is very useful, but if you don't then I can see how it can lead to confusion.

Virgil
September 16th, 2015, 13:26
Hyperdia uses names of stations, not cities, and there actually isn't a Fukuoka Station in Fukuoka. The one on Hyperdia is labeled Fukuoka (Toyama). If you know what station you want to go to, Hyperdia is very useful, but if you don't then I can see how it can lead to confusion.

Yeah. If you're going by JR you have to know you need to go to 'Hakata' station. Fukuoka station in Fukuoka is a private rail, and to get it in Hyperdia you have to actually put 'Nishitetsufukuoka'

In't that special.

weepinbell
September 16th, 2015, 13:47
Oh jesus christ. Okay I got it lol. I didn't realize that was the prefecture.

Virgil
September 16th, 2015, 14:43
It's actually pretty nebulous what we actually call Fukuoka City. Maybe the locals get it... I don't.

naginataonthebrain
September 16th, 2015, 16:11
When Hyperdia fails, I usually go to Jorudan. Google maps has also given me meh results (yay for being in super inaka)

Ini
September 16th, 2015, 18:29
super inaka? if you arent in tokyo why on earth are you getting a train? just drive.

naginataonthebrain
September 16th, 2015, 21:02
super inaka? if you arent in tokyo why on earth are you getting a train? just drive.

I can't drive now because I lost my IDP. I'm currently waiting for my replacement to come in the mail. T_T