PDA

View Full Version : Disclosing tattoos on application

HawkeyeKateBarton
September 28th, 2015, 05:25
So, I've got several tattoos on my back, and I'm wondering if I should disclose them.
Several years ago, my older brother went on JET, and got on, despite having huge tattoos on his shoulders. Last year, I applied as well, and got on the alternates list. This year, I intend to reapply, but my older brother is telling me I should pretend that I don't have tattoos and that telling them I do last year is probably why I didn't get shortlisted, and why I haven't gotten upgraded :l
He says that pretty much everyone he knows from the program has tattoos and lied on their forms - just kept them covered up around town and at school. I'm worried that disclosing did/will hurt my chances, but also that if I don't disclose my tattoos this time, someone will note the discrepancy. Also, I feel very... weird about lying on the application in general.

Should I take his advice?

weepinbell
September 28th, 2015, 10:35
No, that's honestly really stupid. Just follow your instinct, lying on any application is stupid, especially with stuff like this that they can easily find out and then you're screwed. Idk why the hell he'd tell you that's why you didn't get shortlisted, especially since he had tattoos and he did? I know a ton of people in the program with tattoos who were honest about it and they're fine, from full-on sleeves to small wrist tattoos. Some of them just have to cover up.

Also: you have back tattoos... what the hell kind of clothes would you be wearing to school that anyone could see your back anyway? I know a girl with a huge frickin thing all the way up and down her side, it's not like she even has any chance of risking it showing at school unless she showed up in a freakin crop top...

krayziesensei
September 28th, 2015, 11:02
I disclosed my tattoos and was shortlisted.

ambrosse
September 28th, 2015, 11:57
I know a girl who has many tattoos, but two really large ones that require a bit to cover up. She disclosed the large ones that can be seen easily and didn't mention the small ones that are always hidden with normal everyday clothes.
I agree with Belle, go with your instinct.

Ananasboat
September 28th, 2015, 12:12
If they find out you lied on your application at any point in the process, even while you're in Japan, you could face losing your job. Not worth the risk.

Frap
September 28th, 2015, 14:02
y did u get tattoos on ur back cus u cant even see em now???

Zolrak 22
September 28th, 2015, 14:03
y did u get tattoos on ur back cus u cant even see em now???
Pretty sure most tattoos are so others can see them. [emoji14]

Shincantsen
September 29th, 2015, 01:33
This would be especially stupid to do since you applied last year and disclosed your tattoos. It's super easy for them to check out your old application and see you've changed your answer on the new one.

daisychain
September 29th, 2015, 12:27
I applied one year without a tattoo, was shortlisted but wasn't able to go.
Applied again, disclosed tattoo I had done in the time between - shortlisted and here now.
And I know quite a few ALTs with tattoos of varying size/place/design. I wrote on my form the size and place of the tattoo, and that I kept it covered at all times in my old job.

I keep it covered at school at all times but don't about town (but I commute to school so little chance of students seeing me) No problems either way so far. It is up to you how comfortable you feel in your own time, but honestly I would not lie about it on your form. They will check against previous applications so it will be a pretty difficult thing to explain.

webstaa
September 29th, 2015, 12:52
I don't think tattoos are that big of an issue unless you have a lot of visible ones (like on the neck or hands.) There are a huge number of JETs and other ALTs that have tattoos.

matt360
October 7th, 2015, 10:54
They asked me in my interview if I had any tattoos. I told them yes, I had one, but it was easily concealable and that I was aware of the culture implications. I got in.

Torinn88
October 8th, 2015, 13:09
Pretty sure most tattoos are so others can see them. [emoji14]

And then those same people with tattoos can then turn around and say

What are you looking at!

Ace
October 15th, 2015, 13:49
This probably goes without saying, but make sure you don't have any tattoos with anything offensive visible on it. Also, it looks really stupid to have kanji tattooed on your body. My first week on the job, a few teachers asked me if I had any tattoos and were showing me pictures of stupid gaijin who tattooed the most ridiculous things in kanji on their body.

darfurorphan
October 20th, 2015, 08:12
This probably goes without saying, but make sure you don't have any tattoos with anything offensive visible on it. Also, it looks really stupid to have kanji tattooed on your body. My first week on the job, a few teachers asked me if I had any tattoos and were showing me pictures of stupid gaijin who tattooed the most ridiculous things in kanji on their body.

I imagine these convos going like this:

"Ace, why did this gaijin man permanently write "air" on his bicep?"

GodInStrafeMode
October 21st, 2015, 14:32

Yes, because Japanese people (actually just people in general) never get anything cringe-worthy tattooed on them in English?

uthinkimlost?
October 21st, 2015, 14:34
Yes, because Japanese people (actually just people in general) never get anything cringe-worthy tattooed on them in English?

Have you ever seen this? Because I haven't.

GodInStrafeMode
October 21st, 2015, 14:55
Have you ever seen this? Because I haven't.

Sure, one of my mates has "F&ck the World" tattooed in huge old English script across his arm.
Granted it is pretty hard to top a lot of these Pictures: Terrible Kanji Tattoos With Their English Translations | Tokyo Desu (http://tokyodesu.com/2013/08/09/pictures-terrible-kanji-tattoos-with-their-english-translations/)
but I've seen my fair share over the years...

uthinkimlost?
October 21st, 2015, 14:57
Sure, one of my mates has "F&ck the World" tattooed in huge old English script across his arm.

Sounds like the kind of tat I'd see in the states, though.

GodInStrafeMode
October 21st, 2015, 15:14
Sounds like the kind of tat I'd see in the states, though.

I guess if you were hanging out with Juggalos or try-hard bikers you might?
I talked an ex out of having "Immortal" (she had no idea who the band was either) tattooed across her stomach, let my try and search my rusty memory banks for all the atrocities I've seen though

Jiggit
October 21st, 2015, 15:39

I dunno that's about as good as anyone else's tattoo. At least he knows what it says and wants it. I think 99% of tattoos are "dumb" if that's your yardstick.

Having 無料 stamped on your tramp is probably not what most roundeyes were going for.