PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Canadian JETs 2016

AyaReiko
September 29th, 2015, 12:54
Someone's got to start it!
I'm applying again this year... Good luck everyone!

AyaReiko
October 8th, 2015, 23:40
I just realized that the Canadian application says we won't have answer before May this year! D:

webstaa
October 9th, 2015, 08:27
I just realized that the Canadian application says we won't have answer before May this year! D:

Japan upping the bureaucracy game once again!

Gizmotech
October 9th, 2015, 12:30
That seems.... oddly long.

tobio
October 11th, 2015, 07:45
I wonder if they're splitting up early departure announcements from the regular departure announcements

nostos
October 11th, 2015, 09:51

Which answer? May is normal for placement results.

AyaReiko
October 14th, 2015, 14:17
Yeah, I read another page later and noticed my mistake, haha. Or, more specifically, the main sheet is really not clear, for some reason:

November 30, 2015 - Application deadline
Late January, 2016 - Interview Notifications Sent to Applicants
Early February, 2016 - JET Interviews
May 2016 - Final Application Results sent to Applicants
May – December 2016 - Notifications for upgraded Alternates
June-July 2016 - Pre-Departure Orientation Events
July 30, 2016 - Departure to Japan

Tobio, don't they always split the early from the regular departure announcements?

Gizmotech
October 14th, 2015, 15:30
Yes, they split the announcements as early departure are called up on an as needed basis, rather than all at once.

johnny
October 23rd, 2015, 17:16
I miss you guys. I should reapply! :D

Ananasboat
October 24th, 2015, 08:08
Hows the job search goin, buddy?

Zolrak 22
October 24th, 2015, 12:24
Not good if he's honestly thinking of reapplying.

I miss you guys. I should reapply! :D
Which I assume is a joke. [emoji14]

johnny
October 25th, 2015, 03:00

Slowly. Applying for government work sucks. I am not looking for interim work. Unemployment makes me want to end my life.

And Zol, yes, I am kidding about reapplying. However, I would return to Japan if I ever found a grown up job.

I was not kidding about missing you guys.

Zolrak 22
October 25th, 2015, 04:42
However, I would return to Japan if I ever found a grown up job.

I was not kidding about missing you guys.

Have you tried applying online?

Your experience living there is gonna look quite favorably when compared to any other person living outside the country.

And we missed you too, Sheppard. [emoji173]

Edit :
Come on, Sheppard!
What happened to your 5k post ambition?
I might catch up if you aren't careful.

johnny
October 25th, 2015, 17:29
I'll keep trying. I've applied for an entry level position with the foreign affairs department, but they're tough to get.

Also, I'm getting close to 4K.

bazzinga3
December 4th, 2015, 01:40
Has anyone's application status been updated in the portal yet?

AyaReiko
December 4th, 2015, 10:50
I received a message the next day, but I handed it in in person.

bazzinga3
December 4th, 2015, 23:47
Anyone else? Mine still says 'awaiting application'.

x_stei
December 7th, 2015, 08:31
Anyone else? Mine still says 'awaiting application'.
Maybe it's best to use the JET Inbox and see if they received your application.

bazzinga3
December 7th, 2015, 14:56
@x_stei does your application portal say 'received'?

x_stei
December 7th, 2015, 15:35
I'm a current JET and not applying this year. Sorry!

AyaReiko
December 8th, 2015, 14:31
Bazzinga3, what does yours say?
Mine "has been processed" now.

Dallas306
December 8th, 2015, 16:23
Processed for me.
Checking in from Saskatoon, SK.

DigitalHarp
January 9th, 2016, 10:40
I started reading the 2015 Interviews thread (started January 8, 2015) and panicked thinking I hadn't been selected for an interview this year. Eventually I realized my mistake... and I see on here again that late January is when we'll be notified of the interviews.

Since I'm from Halifax I think I'll be heading up to Montreal if I get an interview. Anyone have any experience with travelling a fair distance for an interview like that? Debating trying to convince a few friends to come up with me and enjoy the city after the interview if I'm lucky enough to get one.

tobio
January 9th, 2016, 12:31
@DigitalHarp

They have interviews in Halifax so I wouldn't worry about making a trip out of it.
JET Programme Canada on Twitter: (https://twitter.com/jetcanada/status/654649010670604289)

x_stei
January 10th, 2016, 00:58
I started reading the 2015 Interviews thread (started January 8, 2015) and panicked thinking I hadn't been selected for an interview this year. Eventually I realized my mistake... and I see on here again that late January is when we'll be notified of the interviews.

Since I'm from Halifax I think I'll be heading up to Montreal if I get an interview. Anyone have any experience with travelling a fair distance for an interview like that? Debating trying to convince a few friends to come up with me and enjoy the city after the interview if I'm lucky enough to get one.

I wouldn't suggest doing the trip for your interview with friends for the purpose of having fun afterwards, especially if they'll be staying in the hotel with you. The interview is serious and you don't want any distractions.

Also, your question reminded me of this from last year's Canadian applicants' thread: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015 - Page 13 (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/threads/19764-Aspiring-Canadian-JETs-2015?p=901145&viewfull=1#post901145)

Miffled
January 11th, 2016, 11:31
This is probably a silly question but... when do you guys think we will hear if we made it onto the interview round?

Please don't smack me! I'm a first-time applicant! :roll:

Gizmotech
January 11th, 2016, 20:37
Soon it's not often long after the us announcement. The difference is they will give you all details at once rather than two separate emails.

bazzinga3
January 12th, 2016, 02:54
On the website it says late January, so I'm not really expecting anything until the end of next week at the earliest.

But hopefully I'll be wrong . . . ! :lol::lol:

Dallas306
January 12th, 2016, 08:53
Such a waiting game. It's been hard to be patient.
For anyone who is potentially interviewing at the Calgary consulate, I emailed them for interview dates due to potentially very troublesome conflicts with school/work.
Interviews in Calgary will be held Feb 8,9,10.

***refreshes email for the 19th time today***

tobio
January 13th, 2016, 03:03
Such a waiting game. It's been hard to be patient.
For anyone who is potentially interviewing at the Calgary consulate, I emailed them for interview dates due to potentially very troublesome conflicts with school/work.
Interviews in Calgary will be held Feb 8,9,10.

***refreshes email for the 19th time today***

If I get an interview I'll be in Calgary. Do you by any chance know where the interviews are taking place? I'm not sure if they're going to be directly at the consulate or at a hotel or something.

Dallas306
January 20th, 2016, 12:06
So... Interview notifications went out today last year... Definitely getting nervous..

tobio
January 21st, 2016, 02:19
NOTIFICATIONS ARE OUT!!!

I got an interview! I'm really stoked!

yodeller
January 21st, 2016, 02:56
I just discovered this site a two days ago lol. I got my notification today too! Good luck everyone!

Dallas306
January 21st, 2016, 03:15
Me too! Calgary! I was almost too afraid to look.

tobio
January 21st, 2016, 03:16
Me too! Calgary! I was almost too afraid to look.

Maybe I'll see you in Calgary! Congrats!

ThroneofBlood
January 21st, 2016, 04:50
got one too. congrats and best of luck to all

x_stei
January 21st, 2016, 08:23
NOTIFICATIONS ARE OUT!!!

I got an interview! I'm really stoked!

Good luck!!

AyaReiko
January 22nd, 2016, 00:18
Good luck, everyone!

Wow, we are very few Canadians this year, it feels...

Nephnay
January 23rd, 2016, 04:48
I'm glad I stumbled across this site!
Got an interview for Toronto! Anxiously waiting for the actual date of the interview!

tobio
January 27th, 2016, 02:17
Good luck, everyone!

Wow, we are very few Canadians this year, it feels...

I noticed this, too. Or maybe just more Canadians keeping to themselves this year.

Gizmotech
January 27th, 2016, 10:46
There usually aren't that many here on the boards.

merkitten
January 27th, 2016, 12:38
Man I had no idea this site existed before today: shame on me. I'll be seeing some of you at the Toronto interviews! Not knowing the interview day yet is killing me though, I hope they let me know soon.

chalddok
January 30th, 2016, 15:18
Hey everyone! Another Canadian here! I also only realized today that this site existed...

I also might've screwed up my chances. My interview details were in my spam folder and therefore I missed the deadline to send in my candidate card.... I sent an email and the attachment today but it's Friday and they won't see it until Monday which will be 4 days after the deadline.... T_T

Nephnay
January 30th, 2016, 22:28
You print out your candidate card and bring it with you. What deadline are you talking about? Maybe you're thinking about this?:
"The Toronto JET Desk will be contacting interview candidates by late January (January 29, 2016 at the latest) by e-mail to inform them of their interview time and date."

chalddok
January 30th, 2016, 23:30
You print out your candidate card and bring it with you. What deadline are you talking about? Maybe you're thinking about this?:
"The Toronto JET Desk will be contacting interview candidates by late January (January 29, 2016 at the latest) by e-mail to inform them of their interview time and date."

Nope. I'm talking about this:
"JET Candidate Card: Complete and email back to us by Friday January 29h."

But I am also in Ottawa so maybe the embassy is doing things differently.

tobio
January 31st, 2016, 12:22
I'm interviewing in Calgary and I got the same instructions as chalddok. The interview voucher is what we bring to the interview while the candidate card was to be emailed in.

Anyway, hope things work out for you chalddok.

Nephnay
January 31st, 2016, 14:42
Ahh I see, that makes sense. I'm interviewing in Toronto, so that must be why.

x_stei
January 31st, 2016, 17:54
Call them first thing on Monday. Explain to them that you missed the email. Things like this happen. I'm not sure what the co-ordinator is like in Ottawa, but it's possible they'll understand.

Also, get your email provider to field all the emails from that one email address to your inbox so you won't miss anymore important emails!

tobio
February 3rd, 2016, 06:32
To those with the interview voucher: did you use a traditional passport format for it? As in, no smile, no glasses, etc etc?

Ergo
February 3rd, 2016, 08:09
Just found this site today. I'll be interviewing in Vancouver next week. I looked at the consulate's press release from last year and it says that they sent 50 or so JETs, does anyone know approx. how many interviews were done in Vancouver?

AyaReiko
February 5th, 2016, 08:39
To those with the interview voucher: did you use a traditional passport format for it? As in, no smile, no glasses, etc etc?

I don't know about the smile, but I think the point of the picture is to remember who you are later on. Therefore, if you wear glasses, have them on your picture.

Nope. I'm talking about this:
"JET Candidate Card: Complete and email back to us by Friday January 29h."

But I am also in Ottawa so maybe the embassy is doing things differently.

So what happened? Did you get a date and time? I'm also in Ottawa, so I do hope you'll get it!

Just found this site today. I'll be interviewing in Vancouver next week. I looked at the consulate's press release from last year and it says that they sent 50 or so JETs, does anyone know approx. how many interviews were done in Vancouver?

Good luck! I don't know how many they did, but I believe they get the highest number of applicants after Toronto. I don't think the stats from last year will mean anything this year, though...

chalddok
February 6th, 2016, 05:07
So what happened? Did you get a date and time? I'm also in Ottawa, so I do hope you'll get it!

I just sent it. And I never received a reply back... I already have the date and time for the interview and by the time I remembered to call, it was Tuesday so I just let it go. What happens, happens. I'll just ace the interview tomorrow. :)

merkitten
February 13th, 2016, 09:09
Well that was fun. The traffic was horrendous (an accident on the DVP and someone gave birth or something on the 401? idek) and I missed my interview time by like 40 minutes. Luckily they had another slot they could fit me into and I think the actual interview process went all right. I didn't choke, but I wasn't the most articulate. At least I was confident and my interviewers were nice, lol. Hope everyone else's interviews went well!

tetrishermit
February 14th, 2016, 01:08
Did anyone else get the improv teaching question this week?

merkitten
February 14th, 2016, 02:22
haha yeah. I got it and another guy I talked to after the fact got it too, but with a different subject than the one I had to do. Neither were a holiday or grammar either, so you really had to wing it.

tobio
February 14th, 2016, 04:53
Thankfully I didn't have an improv teaching question LOL

Gizmotech
February 14th, 2016, 17:37
the improv question is a staple of the Canadian interviews.

When I did it, they asked me to name all the animals on the coins, then choose one and teach it.

AyaReiko
February 17th, 2016, 09:11
That makes a lot of sense, actually... Did you get cheeky and teach a lesson about the Queen?

I had to do a lesson too, but for adults, so that was interesting.

ThroneofBlood
February 20th, 2016, 09:17
Anyone know how Canadian applicants are contacted in April? Email and phonecall for shortlisted / email only for rejected and alternated?

Gizmotech
February 20th, 2016, 11:57
I was emailed years ago for shortlist.

AyaReiko
February 21st, 2016, 01:22
Emailed the two past years as well.

ThroneofBlood
February 22nd, 2016, 10:32
Thanks for the replies, guys. I had read differing accounts on how people are informed. Anyways, e-mail works better for me than a phone call or a letter in the mail.

Frap
February 22nd, 2016, 10:34
If I were you, give the embassy a quick call and just let them know what works better for you.

Virgil
February 22nd, 2016, 10:40
I would just not worry about it. They'll contact you somehow.

ThroneofBlood
February 22nd, 2016, 12:46
If I were you, give the embassy a quick call and just let them know what works better for you.

There's a thought. However, instead of a phone call, I think I'll go ahead and send a profanity-laced email since I prefer to be contacted that way.

Jiggit
February 22nd, 2016, 12:56
Nice, that'll show drive and commitment.

Dallas306
March 16th, 2016, 13:17
How is everyone holding up?

Personally, I'm swamped with research papers and then it's crunch time for final exams.
Not really sure if that reality is helping me not focus on the wait or the wait is making it more difficult to focus on school..
'Sigh'..

Is anybody else ready for that email?

tobio
March 17th, 2016, 01:08
I'm looking forward to the email, regardless of the outcome! I didn't even get an interview last time I applied so even if I don't get accepted I learnt a lot from the interview process and will probably try one more time next year. I just wish March would go by a bit faster so I can finally see what the outcome is!

tobio
March 31st, 2016, 02:16
http://i.imgur.com/vdEfcmF.jpg

Dallas306
April 1st, 2016, 07:17
Awefully quiet in here.. i take it no Canadians have heard anything?

Slowly dying inside in Sk. (Calgary consulate).

I cant help but wonder why Canadians are always last/close to last to hear?
Any theories?

tobio
April 1st, 2016, 07:28
nooooooot a thing - also calgary consulate... we're most likely going to hear last anyway, though. maybe on monday?

Dallas306
April 1st, 2016, 07:36
I just hope that its soon. Im trying to write a research paper and a course proposal for Monday and my focus in non-existant.
Heres hoping i see you on that plane ride Tobio.

tobio
April 1st, 2016, 07:44
same to you, man!

tetrishermit
April 2nd, 2016, 01:20
Application Results: April/May so.... It's going to be May 20th isn't it?

Teresa306
April 2nd, 2016, 03:10
Just found this forum, I also had my interview at the Calgary consulate and afterwards the JET coordinator told me that we should find out sometime in early April. Here's hoping!

tobio
April 2nd, 2016, 03:16
Does the April/May thing include placement information, though?

AyaReiko
April 2nd, 2016, 07:16
Last year it was April 2nd, the one before, on the 3rd. Both Thursdays. I hope they go with the 4th and not the 7th this time.
And yes, May includes placement info. They need everyone to accept before trying to place them.

Dallas306
April 2nd, 2016, 16:47
Teresa306, i cant help but notice how similar our user names are. Im assuming we are from the same province?

Teresa306
April 3rd, 2016, 00:42
Haha that's cool, I'm assuming your also from Saskatchewan.

tetrishermit
April 3rd, 2016, 00:58
Has anyone been rejected before? Will you get an email for that as well? If I don't get in I'd like to know asap lol.

Dallas306
April 3rd, 2016, 00:58
Saskatoon. You?

tobio
April 3rd, 2016, 05:42
holy moly i was born in saskatoon but moved to alberta in grade 5

Teresa306
April 3rd, 2016, 09:23
I'm from Regina! Do either of you know if the Calgary consulate emails or sends the result by post?

tobio
April 3rd, 2016, 15:03
They should be emails!

Teresa306
April 5th, 2016, 02:08
Thanks!

ThroneofBlood
April 5th, 2016, 04:29
Shortlisted! :)

Check your emails! Hope to hear good news from all of you!

tobio
April 5th, 2016, 04:36
Shortlisted out of Calgary! Huge news for me considering I didn't even make it to the interview round last year!

tetrishermit
April 5th, 2016, 05:23
Shortlisted from Toronto feelsgoodman

Dallas306
April 5th, 2016, 05:54
That was a massive blow to my confidence.... the dreaded alternate status.
This is a tough one to swallow..
Congrats to all that made it. More purgatory for me.

RTCA
April 5th, 2016, 06:09
Alternate here too, nothing we can do now but wait.
I'm going to get the reply forms in and go on living as if I'd been rejected - but keep a small sliver of hope for that next e-mail or phone call :)

enggstar
April 5th, 2016, 06:21
Shortlisted from Calgary here!!

Just wondering if anyone here knows where I should go to get my Certificate of Health completed. Any physician will do?

Teresa306
April 5th, 2016, 07:47
Shortlisted out of Calgary, pretty stoked! Congrats to everyone else who's made it so far!

AyaReiko
April 5th, 2016, 13:54
Alternate, yet again. We'll see how it goes this year!

ThroneofBlood
April 7th, 2016, 08:48
Just wondering if anyone here knows where I should go to get my Certificate of Health completed. Any physician will do?

Yes, I think any physician will do. My form doesn't specify anything other than "the physician should not be a relative". If still in doubt, give the consulate a ring.

AyaReiko
April 8th, 2016, 10:24
Yes, I think any physician will do. My form doesn't specify anything other than "the physician should not be a relative". If still in doubt, give the consulate a ring.

I can confirm this: I don't even have a physician and my certificate was accepted.

ThroneofBlood
April 24th, 2016, 00:14
Any recent Canadian JETs recall when exactly in May they received their placement info? Seems to me that all the dates for things like interview notice were the same this year as in the past few years, maybe placement info will be the same date as well.

tobio
April 24th, 2016, 12:50
A friend got theirs on May 22nd last year.

ThroneofBlood
April 25th, 2016, 01:24
Thanks, Tobio. From looking at last year's thread, it does indeed seem like we'll get the answer on the 22nd. I can only hope it'll be a bit sooner!

tetrishermit
May 10th, 2016, 07:09
PSA I noticed one of the earlier emails I received said that placement in a contracting organisation will proceedafter the health check and insurance form are received.

I held off on mailing my insurance document until yesterday since it wasn't due until June 3rd. I hope my placement hasn't been held up in the meantime AAUGH!!

tobio
May 10th, 2016, 08:38
PSA I noticed one of the earlier emails I received said that placement in a contracting organisation will proceedafter the health check and insurance form are received.

I held off on mailing my insurance document until yesterday since it wasn't due until June 3rd. I hope my placement hasn't been held up in the meantime AAUGH!!

Different situation for me. Ours said "Take note that in order to complete the JET ACCIDENT INSURANCE FORM you will need your JET number, which will be given to you in May with your placement notification."

tetrishermit
May 11th, 2016, 13:29
Different situation for me. Ours said "Take note that in order to complete the JET ACCIDENT INSURANCE FORM you will need your JET number, which will be given to you in May with your placement notification."
Weird, I was told to leave the JET number blank and someone would fill it in later.

webstaa
May 12th, 2016, 08:27
edit: removed double post

webstaa
May 12th, 2016, 08:30
Weird, I was told to leave the JET number blank and someone would fill it in later.

I think you don't get your JET number until you accept your placement. At least that's the way it worked for me. The format should be something 2016XXXXXXX - all numbers.

FYI, you'll need that number for a couple of CLAIR related things, and that's just about it, so write it down somewhere (or email it to yourself and archive it.)

x_stei
May 12th, 2016, 11:56
I think I got my JET number when I was notified of my placement, not when I accepted it.

bludbeard
May 18th, 2016, 03:12
hey guys. Short listed out of Calgary. Hope everyone gets good news about their placements soon.

ThroneofBlood
May 20th, 2016, 06:56
Hey man, congrats on getting short-listed. Got my placement, hope all the other Canadians got theirs too!

mothy
May 27th, 2016, 01:00
Every fucking day I hope canadians get there's.

acpc2203
May 27th, 2016, 08:26
Me too Mothy, me too.

Frap
May 27th, 2016, 08:33
Drunk Mothy is so hopeful~