PDA

View Full Version : Changing visa status

Larien
September 30th, 2015, 14:30
This is a question particular for those who finished JET, and changed their visa status from "instructor" to something else. Is the process fairly difficult? And does it usually take very long?

I haven't yet had to even renew my visa, so I'm extremely illiterate when it comes to dealing with the immigration office.

word
September 30th, 2015, 15:29
What are you changing it to? Dependent/spousal would be easy, Humanities or whatever is a little more difficult.

The forms are multi-lingual and there's lots of English guidance online so it shouldn't be too horrid.

mothy
September 30th, 2015, 15:54
If you're actually qualified for the visa, it shouldn't be too hard. Though proving you're qualified will be harder with some than others.

Larien
September 30th, 2015, 15:55
What are you changing it to? Dependent/spousal would be easy, Humanities or whatever is a little more difficult.

The forms are multi-lingual and there's lots of English guidance online so it shouldn't be too horrid.

Alas, not depedent/spousal, but to Humanities. How is it difficult?

word
September 30th, 2015, 16:06
As mothy said, proving you're qualified is the tricky part. The reality of the matter is that if you're a blonde-haired, blue-eyed white girl from American or New Zealand or something, you can probably get approved for a Humanities visa for glass-blowing or duduk-playing or whatever without too much hassle. If you're Chinese or Filipino, you might be Yo-yo Ma and still get denied. You'll need a pretty legit sponsor and some other proof that you've legitimately studied your field, among other things.

Larien
September 30th, 2015, 16:08
As mothy said, proving you're qualified is the tricky part. The reality of the matter is that if you're a blonde-haired, blue-eyed white girl from American or New Zealand or something, you can probably get approved for a Humanities visa for glass-blowing or duduk-playing or whatever without too much hassle. If you're Chinese or Filipino, you might be Yo-yo Ma and still get denied. You'll need a pretty legit sponsor and some other proof that you've legitimately studied your field, among other things.

I mean, my hair and eyes aren't those colors, but... lol
What counts as "pretty legit"?

word
September 30th, 2015, 16:11
Been around for a couple of years, established business, above the board, that kinda thing.

Edit: if your potential sponsor is balking at the prospect of sponsoring you, they're probably not ideal.

Larien
September 30th, 2015, 16:17
Nothing like that, I'm just afraid of the whims of the immigration office, and vague warnings I've come across on message boards saying that the process is "difficult." Which makes me nervous.

Zolrak 22
September 30th, 2015, 16:18
Eh, to be fair.

People describe applying for programs like JET and Visas as difficult, when usually it's just long and/or tedious

word
September 30th, 2015, 16:56
Eh, to be fair.

People describe applying for programs like JET and Visas as difficult, when usually it's just long and/or tedious
Pretty much this. The process for Humanities is more involved and requires more paperwork, but if you're actually qualified and your sponsor wants you, you'll probably be approved eventually.

Ini
September 30th, 2015, 23:04
humanities visas are pretty simple to get as long as you are working for a reputable company. should only take a few weeks.

Gizmotech
October 1st, 2015, 12:50
I have a follow up question for this if anyone knows.

Situation, I have my new job basically and I want the switchover to be quick and painless. Can I go into immigration with my contract and documentation from the company to get my VISA swapped while I'm still working for the previous employer? Do I actually need to take a break between employers to let immigration do the whole visa conversion? Would it matter if my VISA switched before my JET contract ended (like a month or so) from instructor to humanities, or that I start working for my new employer while waiting for immigration to switch my VISA type?

Like somehow I don't think it would be too much trouble, but I don't want to rock the boat out here with my local 2 man immigration team.

Larien
October 1st, 2015, 15:51

Situation, I have my new job basically and I want the switchover to be quick and painless. Can I go into immigration with my contract and documentation from the company to get my VISA swapped while I'm still working for the previous employer? Do I actually need to take a break between employers to let immigration do the whole visa conversion? Would it matter if my VISA switched before my JET contract ended (like a month or so) from instructor to humanities, or that I start working for my new employer while waiting for immigration to switch my VISA type?

Like somehow I don't think it would be too much trouble, but I don't want to rock the boat out here with my local 2 man immigration team.
I would actually be interested to know the answer to this, too! :)

Dululu
October 2nd, 2015, 16:37

I did this. The process was easy and took like 7 days (this will vary depending on how big/competent your immigration department is).

When I applied, the guy asked me what the last day I would be working on JET was and what day I would start doing the new job.

(He then proceeded to screw it up and technically cancelled my old Instructor visa and gave me the new Humanities one 2 days before I finished JET but it didn't make any difference)

My new job was happy for me to start work whilst the visa change was in process anyway. Switching visa type is not anything like as big a deal as people think it is as long as you are dealing with reputable companies and your visa has not run out. I was paranoid that it would be problematic but it was mega easy and my new (multinational) firm was much more calm about it than I was.

(Incidentally, I did wonder at the time whether I was in fact working under dubious circumstances with the wrong type of visa. Is says that your visa type should reflect the work that you do "predominantly". I don't know if switching jobs and doing 2/31 days as an instructor and 29/31 days on a humanities visa in a 31 day period meant that those 2 days as an Instructor on a Humanities visa were illegal or just minority type work)