PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Australian JETs 2016

Pages : [1] 2

CherryChieri
October 6th, 2015, 19:47
Hello!

Any Australians applying this year? This is my first time applying, so I'm pretty nervous!

thecatalyst
October 6th, 2015, 20:50
Hey! Haha I literally created an account so I could make this thread.

First time applying, but I feel like the last three years of uni have been leading up to this point. I have spent so long thinking about this, or other ways to go to Japan.

Good luck to you! Where are you from? I live in Sydney myself.

CherryChieri
October 7th, 2015, 07:14
Haha same!

I'm just a bit out of Melbourne :)

I've looked into a few other programs, but I think I like JET best. Hopefully I get in, otherwise it's like I wasted a year...

Pup
October 9th, 2015, 13:31
G'day, I got into the JET Programme this year so feel free to ask me questions (though SOP reviews should go in the stickied post)

Cheers

CherryChieri
October 23rd, 2015, 15:22
Went to an info session last night, wasn't hugely informative, but it was nice to hear experience from past JETs. Interesting to see how many came along and didn't really get what JET was either.

Just gotta get my references and do my SOP and I'm good to go!

Pup
October 24th, 2015, 08:21
Last year in Melbourne we had one really good CIR show off a presentation of not just her experiences but her basic duties. Then we had some crappy ALT who seemed nostalgic as fuck and just showed us photos of his adventures. Zero information from that slacker.

CherryChieri
October 24th, 2015, 09:39
Guess we had different people lol Our CIR was pretty good, but he came back ten years ago, so he'd forgotten some things and stuff has changed a bit since then. The ALT wasn't too bad but it was more what she could do outside of the classroom (she helped with speaking contests etc iirc). The video they showed was good as it featured actual duties, which is kinda a big thing to talk about lmao

starxrox
October 29th, 2015, 15:43
Hey hey. I'm from Adelaide. Had my info session yesterday. Pretty keen to go now. Very confused about location preferences. Also i know buggar all Japanese...

webstaa
October 29th, 2015, 16:31
Very confused about location preferences.

Most JETs will say that location preferences are pretty much useless - you get what they give you. If your lucky, you'll win the lottery and get a placement in a location you request or close to it.

CherryChieri
October 29th, 2015, 18:53
Hi there!

Try and pick somewhere you like/find interesting in case you get what you want. Don't put too much stock in it though. (unless you can back it up with knowing people in that city/prefecture, and even then it's a gamble)

I was tempted to just get a map and throw darts at it tbh lol

acpc2203
October 31st, 2015, 15:44
You should look up if your area has sister cities/towns in Japan. You can use that as a reason for a placement request and if placed in a sister city/town you might be involved in stuff like exchanges or goodwill visits with the area you came from.

arumisan
October 31st, 2015, 21:31
Hey! Haha I literally created an account so I could make this thread.

First time applying, but I feel like the last three years of uni have been leading up to this point. I have spent so long thinking about this, or other ways to go to Japan.

Good luck to you! Where are you from? I live in Sydney myself.

Haha same!

I'm just a bit out of Melbourne :)

I've looked into a few other programs, but I think I like JET best. Hopefully I get in, otherwise it's like I wasted a year...

That's what I did too :P

You should look up if your area has sister cities/towns in Japan. You can use that as a reason for a placement request and if placed in a sister city/town you might be involved in stuff like exchanges or goodwill visits with the area you came from.

Good advice. One of the tentative prefectures I've chose is based on sister cities, but I might change it (because I know very little about it).

Currently working on my SOP. Also need to get my Certificate of Health as I plan to go for the April placement.

Side note: they really don't give a lot of room for the teaching background section of the application forms...

thecatalyst
November 1st, 2015, 20:39
I'm hesitant to list preferences because I don't know if my reasons will hold up, and I feel like they don't matter anyway. But on that topic, are there any placements you would say no to? At first I thought anything non-Honshu would be a deal breaker for me, but after visiting Hokkaido last year I would totally not mind. Okinawa could also be really amazing.

Gizmotech
November 1st, 2015, 21:16
If your reasons don't hold up, they don't hold up. It's not like they will say "because they were a twat at explaining their reasons they can't go to Japan".

Frap
November 1st, 2015, 21:24
Just FYI, my preferences were never even mentioned in the interview and I got my first choice.

Ebi
November 1st, 2015, 23:38
If your reasons don't hold up, they don't hold up. It's not like they will say "because they were a twat at explaining their reasons they can't go to Japan".
That said, I have a feeling my flippant response when asked about why I chose my preferences got me lower marks. Mostly because that was one of the points in the interview when as soon as I said my answer, all three interviewers furiously wrote down notes.

I don't think you need a strong reason, but if they ask don't be like me and say something like "oh, I dunno. I just put them down. I'm happy going anywhere really." (I actually had some legit reasons for my picks, but for some reason I went blank.)

Still, I'm really glad I ended up no where near my preferences.

haitch40
November 2nd, 2015, 02:22
We were asked to put reasons on the application form. Do they ask at interview as well?

Zolrak 22
November 2nd, 2015, 03:58
We were asked to put reasons on the application form. Do they ask at interview as well?
Sometimes they do if they can't think of anything else to ask. (Or if all of the preferences fall under one category (urban/rural/suburban).

haitch40
November 2nd, 2015, 05:58
Sometimes they do if they can't think of anything else to ask. (Or if all of the preferences fall under one category (urban/rural/suburban).
We got asked urban, suburban or rural then asked for 3 either cities or prefectures. I put suburban and 3 prefectures on Kyushu.

ambrosse
November 2nd, 2015, 12:31
Sometimes they do ask during the interview. I wasn't asked specifically about the prefectures/areas I requested, but rural, suburban, and urban placements were discussed.
They told me the chances of being placed urban were small and if I'd be okay with being placed rural.
I told them that I'm from a rural place the the US and it wouldn't be an issue at all. I then mistakenly told them that I didn't like larger cities anyway and I was asked what would happen were I placed in a large city. I told them with a smile, "Well, then I would find a way to adapt."
Boom. Shortlisted and placed rural.

Don't worry about your reasoning much. As long as it's not something creepy or demanding, they don't care.

Hell, on the app, my reasoning for Mie prefecture was "It's close to large cities, but far enough away." :/

arumisan
November 2nd, 2015, 13:25
That's good to hear!

On a side note, just found out that my GP's retired so I don't know if I'll be able to get the xray done in time (since I've emailed the consulate and they were like "it's mandatory").

Kyle
November 2nd, 2015, 17:30
Preferences are a lottery. Multiple people from my embassy got placed in cities/areas which were my preferences because they put down they liked the places. I got placed far from any of my preferences despite putting them down because they were areas close to my wife's family and hometown in Japan.

CherryChieri
November 2nd, 2015, 20:24
That's what I did too :P

Good advice. One of the tentative prefectures I've chose is based on sister cities, but I might change it (because I know very little about it).

Currently working on my SOP. Also need to get my Certificate of Health as I plan to go for the April placement.

Side note: they really don't give a lot of room for the teaching background section of the application forms...

That's good to hear!

On a side note, just found out that my GP's retired so I don't know if I'll be able to get the xray done in time (since I've emailed the consulate and they were like "it's mandatory").

Could you just not get another gp to do it and get them to add the results to the form? (I'm assuming the rest of the form is finished) Technically you shouldn't, but I don't think it'd be a deal breaker if you were ever caught.

I'm planning for April as well! Just finished my SOP! I don't wanna write anything for a yearrr lol

I'm hesitant to list preferences because I don't know if my reasons will hold up, and I feel like they don't matter anyway. But on that topic, are there any placements you would say no to? At first I thought anything non-Honshu would be a deal breaker for me, but after visiting Hokkaido last year I would totally not mind. Okinawa could also be really amazing.

I'd actually really be bummed with Tokyo! Just never been particularly impressed whenever I've been there... Clearly wouldn't say no (great transport, tonnes to do, friends in nearby prefectures etc), but it's certainly not on my preference list.
I decided not to go with sister cities. I mean, I'd love to live in Osaka again, but I'm also going for a new experience and it'd be nice to meet new people rather than fall into my old circle again.

thecatalyst
November 2nd, 2015, 23:15
I've completed my application, but am spending the next week revising my SOP. It only occurred to me, after reading the application guidelines and everything so many times recently, that I'm not sure I have said everything I should.

Is there an actual essay question for the SOP? I can't see one in any of the forms or on the AU consulate website. Am I a blundering idiot and managed to overlook it?

CherryChieri
November 3rd, 2015, 07:22
I couldn't see a question, either on the website or in the information pack thing. I think that may be a US only thing?

arumisan
November 3rd, 2015, 11:31
@CherryChieri
Thankfully the CoH has not been completed yet so I just need another doctor - the only annoying thing is I would need to schedule an x-ray scan and then go in again for him/her to finish it. Going to try a medical centre and see if they will do it.

Pup
November 5th, 2015, 08:34
Hello, just FYI my preference was justified by my partner's family living there. I got put on the other end of Japan instead.

EDIT: also unless they really changed things, there should not be any actual essay question. Write it like you would a job app. Why you want to join the JET programme, what skills you bring, what you hope to achieve out of it, etc. Look online for example essays and you should do well. Demonstrate your ability to be a community member and your ability to communicate not just Aussie culture but cultures of other countries too as you are a 'gaijin' ambassador not just an 'Australian' ambassador

thecatalyst
November 9th, 2015, 07:40
With a lot of nerves, and after checking it about 6,000 times, I finally posted my application this morning. Now I'm hoping to get on with life haha, try forget about it for a while and begin tentatively preparing for the potential interview.

Best of luck, everyone!

Pup
November 13th, 2015, 09:27
Good luck Caralyst!

For those of you still applying, here's a tip. If you want a placement in a really popular prefecture EG: Osaka/Kyoto. Try requesting a placement in the prefecture NEXT to it. EG: Hyogo/Osaka, Nara/Osaka/Kyoto. Sure those prefectures are still huge and it might take you a long time to get to Osaka or Kyoto but it's better than having to fly to Osaka from the other side of Japan.

Cheers

mrcharisma
November 13th, 2015, 17:48
Good luck Caralyst!

For those of you still applying, here's a tip. If you want a placement in a really popular prefecture EG: Osaka/Kyoto. Try requesting a placement in the prefecture NEXT to it. EG: Hyogo/Osaka, Nara/Osaka/Kyoto. Sure those prefectures are still huge and it might take you a long time to get to Osaka or Kyoto but it's better than having to fly to Osaka from the other side of Japan.

Cheers

Hyogo isn't exactly an unpopular choice either. Shiga would be the best option for what you're suggesting, especially if someone wants to be near Kyoto.

Zolrak 22
November 13th, 2015, 20:34
Eh, or you could just reach for the stars and hope for the best.

They do try to get you as close as possible to your requests. It's just that often times it doesn't work out that way.

But I wouldn't request a placement you aren't ready to live in.

I mean, would you imagine them doing everything in their power to get you that placement only for you to change your mind or even worse, go "flyjin" because you didn't like it there?

webstaa
November 16th, 2015, 08:20
but it's better than having to fly to Osaka from the other side of Japan.

As long as your goal is Osaka, you can fly there via Peach cheaper (cross country) than just about any other form of transportation. $50 from Sendai etc.

weepinbell
November 16th, 2015, 08:43
Eh, or you could just reach for the stars and hope for the best.

They do try to get you as close as possible to your requests. It's just that often times it doesn't work out that way.

But I wouldn't request a placement you aren't ready to live in.

I mean, would you imagine them doing everything in their power to get you that placement only for you to change your mind or even worse, go "flyjin" because you didn't like it there?

Yeah, just do this. The JET people seriously try to accommodate, but it's up to the BOEs in the end, simple as that. They can send your application to every BOE in Kyoto and if they don't want you, tough luck. But at our Q&A session, they basically told us what Zolrak said verbatim - they want to lower chances of flyjin as much as possible, so they actually try to satisfy placements as much as they can because they want you to recontract... but again it's not their final decision, it's the BOE.

I requested Osaka and got Osaka - me and 6 other people in my placement have sister city relationships so that'll tell you that with at least some BOEs, they have their reasons for hiring who they hire. If there's somewhere you want where you can try to be strategic about it, do that as much as possible - might happen, might not. But I don't see the logic in not putting your top preference first, to be honest. Obviously it doesn't always work out, but it's kind of silly not to try.

Edit - if there's an area you really want, do as others suggested, ex. 1. Osaka, 2. Hyogo, 3. Shiga. If anything, they'll at least see you'd obviously prefer Kansai. I only put Osaka and Kyoto in my prefs.

Pup
November 16th, 2015, 12:57
I must have pulled some really unlucky straws then mate. I come from Melbourne as well which is the sister city of Osaka (as you mentioned) but I also had the added bonus of my partner's family living there and they still stuck me on the other end of Japan haha.

weepinbell
November 16th, 2015, 13:14
I must have pulled some really unlucky straws then mate. I come from Melbourne as well which is the sister city of Osaka (as you mentioned) but I also had the added bonus of my partner's family living there and they still stuck me on the other end of Japan haha.

Never said it was guaranteed, but obviously sometimes it has the potential to help you pull some strings. I'm sure JET sent your app out to at least a few places in that area, but it's definitely possible there were other candidates that either better fulfilled those BOE's needs or they could've just taken their pick already. Also Osaka has a fuck ton of sister cities, so you never really know which ones which BOE's would be looking to pull from... esp since Osaka is only municipal, so it seriously depends on what each individual city's looking for.

By partner, do you mean legally married? Cuz if you're not married they literally wouldn't have taken it at all into account for that reason tbh - especially if your partner's not already in Japan or coming with you.

Tldr; it still mostly comes down to some luck, but there are things you can do to make your application more appealing to you preferred locations since it's the BOEs who will decide, and not JET.

webstaa
November 16th, 2015, 14:18
Osaka itself has (had?) a rival program to JET operated by the city/prefecture itself for some of the schools. IIRC it was called NET or SET. Either way, it's private hire. You could probably find postings for it on jetwit etc. I know they rolled out a new TOEFL goal this year in the high schools as well.

Jiggit
November 16th, 2015, 14:20
Cuz if you're not married they literally wouldn't have taken it at all into account for that reason tbh

Gosh, all those non-married couples who got placed together in my prefecture sure were lucky then!

weepinbell
November 16th, 2015, 16:13
Osaka itself has (had?) a rival program to JET operated by the city/prefecture itself for some of the schools. IIRC it was called NET or SET. Either way, it's private hire. You could probably find postings for it on jetwit etc. I know they rolled out a new TOEFL goal this year in the high schools as well.

I forget what it's called but an ad for it came up on my facebook the other day... it's run through Interac though and it's for the public schools within Osaka city itself, so that's why JET doesn't place in the city. They have a lot of positions open and it actually pays a little better than JET for the first year at least lol. It's posted t.o Gaijinpot.

Gosh, all those non-married couples who got placed together in my prefecture sure were lucky then!

Guess I stand corrected, all the people around here who applied with s.o's got placed way far away from each other. I always hear don't hold out for it... assumed it was cuz they wouldn't wanna deal with any tension within the BOE if they happened to break up lol.

acpc2203
November 16th, 2015, 16:15
Also check the number JETs currently placed in a designated city, some have so few that it is a waste to request that city.

thatitguy
November 16th, 2015, 18:55
Also check the number JETs currently placed in a designated city, some have so few that it is a waste to request that city.

How do you check the current JETs placed in a city?

arumisan
November 16th, 2015, 22:27
Finally got the last bits of transcripts certified! Going through my application one more time tomorrow before I send it off (SoP and the application form needs to be checked over before sending in). I'm bit of an idiot for leaving it so late, but that's me.

webstaa
November 17th, 2015, 08:37
How do you check the current JETs placed in a city?

That info used to be published on (one of) the JET website(s). I used to have it bookmarked. But the page is 404ed now.

arumisan
November 17th, 2015, 20:04
That info used to be published on (one of) the JET website(s). I used to have it bookmarked. But the page is 404ed now.

I think someone mentioned on DaveESL (or some ESL/JET-related website) that they actually shut that website down i.e. recent data isn't published publicly.

On another note, finally submitted my documents! Already realised that I made a mistake - in regards to the order of my documents, I followed the ones in the guidelines, rather than the checklist :/

shanshan310
November 17th, 2015, 20:10
Just submitted my application. Any other people applying for CIR?

thecatalyst
November 17th, 2015, 23:45
The feeling of having such a long wait has already set in for me, and I spend most time thinking about it feeling inadequate. Haha.

Does anyone have a plan B apart from JET? I've considered it my main option for so long now that I have never paused to think about alternatives.

CherryChieri
November 18th, 2015, 08:41
Same!

I'm checking out Gaba and Interac. Failing that, I've applied to go back to uni again, so we'll see what happens lol

Pup
November 26th, 2015, 08:58
Guess I stand corrected, all the people around here who applied with s.o's got placed way far away from each other. I always hear don't hold out for it... assumed it was cuz they wouldn't wanna deal with any tension within the BOE if they happened to break up lol.

Haha my partner isn't a JET so there wouldn't be BOE drama! Oh well no point crying over spilt kyushoku milk!

EDIT: Sorry I forgot, for the Aussies that are dead set on going to Japan to teach English and need a back up, PM me, I have a mate who is a recruiter for one of the smaller dispatch companies. But I'd wait until after interview results before you decide if you wanna apply with him.

wicket
December 2nd, 2015, 21:13
Hi all,
I'm late to the party this year. Thanks to those who came to the info session at LaTrobe in Melbourne, if any are on here. And thanks to those who emailed me their SoPs. Standard seems to get higher every year.
Haven't been on here in ages as I'm kept busy with a 6 year old, a tutoring business, and volunteering at a local wildlife park. Most of you won't know me, but I'm the grandma of the group who had two bites at the JET cherry - once in Toyama in the 90s and once in Osaka in the noughties.
If you're from QLD and more specifically from the Sunshine Coast area and you get an interview and you'd like some practice, send me a PM. I'll be checking around the time notice of interviews come out.
Good luck everyone!

Soulnet
December 3rd, 2015, 16:59
The website must've updated the information sessions later because I didn't even know they existed! Kudos to whomever I spoke to in the Canberra embassy though as they were patient enough to answer all of my questions (a lot of which were answered with 'hmm, I don't think someone in your situation has applied before'). It's a long process now and I must continue to be patient :)

Good luck to all!

Pup
December 4th, 2015, 08:33
Wow, now I'm curious as to just what your situation is! Care to indulge me?

Soulnet
December 4th, 2015, 09:51
Wow, now I'm curious as to just what your situation is! Care to indulge me?

Very basically they didn't know what professional references they would accept from someone who has run his own business for the past 10 years. Basically sold it all so I can have a chance to do this.

wicket
December 5th, 2015, 22:25
Very basically they didn't know what professional references they would accept from someone who has run his own business for the past 10 years. Basically sold it all so I can have a chance to do this.
I would assume you would get references from your clients. They just want to know if you're well-presented, reliable, punctual, loyal, flexible etc. etc. I recently went for a (non-JET) job and used 2 current clients as professional referees plus my supervisor at a wildlife park where I volunteer.
Also, you should not have sold your business. No need to do that, especially not before you even know if you have an interview. I will keep my fingers double crossed for you.

Soulnet
December 5th, 2015, 22:50
I would assume you would get references from your clients. They just want to know if you're well-presented, reliable, punctual, loyal, flexible etc. etc. I recently went for a (non-JET) job and used 2 current clients as professional referees plus my supervisor at a wildlife park where I volunteer.
Also, you should not have sold your business. No need to do that, especially not before you even know if you have an interview. I will keep my fingers double crossed for you.

Probably more an excuse to do so anyway and this sort of gave me a small nudge :P I'll think of something else (hopefully while placed in Japan!).

Pup
December 7th, 2015, 08:16
If that's the case then I'd say then once you get past the app stage that it'll give you some really good material for your interview.

Wakuwaku
December 16th, 2015, 16:46
Is anyone else wondering when the interview letters will arrive?

CherryChieri
December 23rd, 2015, 09:47
I got mine just now!! I swear my heart stopped for a moment haha!

Hopefully you'll all get good news too~

thecatalyst
December 23rd, 2015, 10:18
I got mine too! I was so worried re-reading my statement of purpose the last couple of weeks, because I never had anyone check it. Such a relief.

Congratulations, Cherry! Good luck to the rest of you :)

arumisan
December 23rd, 2015, 17:32
I just received my interview letter too - was so nervous when I was opening it! Congrats CherrChieri, thecataylst and anyone else who received it!

So nervous about the interview now - interviews are probably the bane of my existence.

Wakuwaku
December 23rd, 2015, 19:29
Did you guys get an email or a letter? Nervous now I didn't get in because I have heard nada.

arumisan
December 23rd, 2015, 21:28
Did you guys get an email or a letter? Nervous now I didn't get in because I have heard nada.

It was sent via regular post (issued on the 21st), so it may take until Monday-Wednesday to receive it depending on which part of Australia you're from. (For reference, I'm from Newcastle so it came on time). If you don't receive anything by Monday, perhaps contact the insulate?

Wakuwaku
December 24th, 2015, 08:46
Postman gave my letter to next door. Phew - got an interview! Anyone else from Melbourne?

arumisan
December 24th, 2015, 12:25
Congrats! Unfortunately not from Melbourne, but I hope you'll find someone!

Kishkash
December 24th, 2015, 12:39
I got in Melbourne too!

Ananasboat
December 24th, 2015, 17:10
Postman gave my letter to next door. Phew - got an interview! Anyone else from Melbourne?

Have you met ebi? Your pics are eerily similar.

Zolrak 22
December 25th, 2015, 13:18
Have you met ebi? Your pics are eerily similar.
How dare you profile people like that?

It's not like we compared you based on the pinea-

You know what, I'll just go stand in a corner now. [emoji57]

CherryChieri
December 25th, 2015, 13:59

I'm from Geelong, so close enough ;p Congrats!

Wakuwaku
December 25th, 2015, 15:02
The world of sushi cats is a large, and we don't talk about it much...

shanshan310
January 2nd, 2016, 20:05
Yes :D I got an interview too! Time to start practising my dictation skills ><

Good luck everyone!

ljusastjarnan
January 2nd, 2016, 21:20
Got an interview too.

I'll attend and try my best, but I might have to reject the offer if I get it. Probably an entirely wrong way to go about the interview. D:

Either way, best of luck! c:

thecatalyst
January 3rd, 2016, 17:26
Does anyone know how (phone call, letter, email?) they usually contact people before interviews and when/how long beforehand? I'm pretty resigned to just not making any big plans or leaving the state for the next two months, or at least until I find out. Haha.

Wakuwaku
January 3rd, 2016, 21:27
Going by previous years it will be end of Jan / start of Feb. The JET coordinator at the Melbourne session I attended said it would be start of Feb.

(On a side note, if anyone in Melbourne wants to meet up to practice interview questions, PM me).

thecatalyst
January 6th, 2016, 09:53
Going by my letter, I thought that's when the interviews would be conducted? I'm expecting the notification of date/time soon.

How is everyone preparing? I've got a book of notes I've been writing for the past few months, filled with potential interview questions and information they might ask. The only thing I'm stumped with - and kind of worried about - is if I'm asked about or put on the spot with my Japanese language ability. I've never been the best Japanese student and I don't use it a lot/tend to forget it (something I'm hoping to rectify by actually going to Japan, and speaking to people in Japanese more frequently).

Pup
January 6th, 2016, 11:50
Hi guys.

I interviewed in Melbourne and prepped a shit ton for it. My tips: go through ALL the interview questions that are online and I mean all. Read Japanese news, I'd suggest Japan Times and stay kind of up to date with Japanese international news rather than local news (i.e Aomori just got 7/11 would be a bad choice.)

Any other questions, please send me a PM!

p.s: suits please. No black or white ties.

Kishkash
January 7th, 2016, 16:59
Hi guys.

I interviewed in Melbourne and prepped a shit ton for it. My tips: go through ALL the interview questions that are online and I mean all. Read Japanese news, I'd suggest Japan Times and stay kind of up to date with Japanese international news rather than local news (i.e Aomori just got 7/11 would be a bad choice.)

What kind of questions did you get? Ive heard the Brisbane consulate can give you quite a grilling, but there's not much info for melbs

Wakuwaku
January 8th, 2016, 14:11
Just got the email telling me interview dates. 2nd of Febuary in Melbourne. :^_^:

CherryChieri
January 8th, 2016, 14:57
Same!

Tbh I'm glad we don't have to try and choose our times like some countries do.

Misread the time though - was a little concerned because I thought it went for 1.5 hours XD Think I should probably try to get a bit more sleep in haha!

Soulnet
January 8th, 2016, 16:29
and reeeeejected! LOL... :(

Zolrak 22
January 9th, 2016, 02:28
and reeeeejected! LOL... :(
There's always next year, or Interac/etc [emoji28]

(On the bright side, at this point you really have enough time to apply for other stuff, it's a lot better than waiting after interview to be declined.)

arumisan
January 11th, 2016, 18:03
I haven't received that email yet! If I don't get it by the end of the week, going to email them.

Hi guys.

Your tips are making me nervous! Haven't started preparing yet, but need to start looking at the Japanese news then!

thecatalyst
January 11th, 2016, 19:05
I haven't received that email yet! If I don't get it by the end of the week, going to email them.

I still haven't either, in Sydney. But I spoke to someone at the JET desk about an unrelated question about forms and while I was at it asked if they knew when we would hear. They said they should be sent out very soon, but to contact the consulate for more exact details, which I did. Turns out they were closed due to 成人の日 (Coming of Age Day) in Japan today and that explains it – I imagine all consulates would be in the same position, so I'd probably expect to hear tomorrow or Wednesday.

Pup
January 12th, 2016, 09:09

Your tips are making me nervous! Haven't started preparing yet, but need to start looking at the Japanese news then!

Oops, sorry mate! These are just the things that I did in preparation for my interview. I was really intent on nailing it hehe.

Meow
January 13th, 2016, 11:22
Got my email with the interview time and date today - interviewing in Sydney. :) Anyone else?

arumisan
January 13th, 2016, 11:44
I still haven't either, in Sydney. But I spoke to someone at the JET desk about an unrelated question about forms and while I was at it asked if they knew when we would hear. They said they should be sent out very soon, but to contact the consulate for more exact details, which I did. Turns out they were closed due to 成人の日 (Coming of Age Day) in Japan today and that explains it – I imagine all consulates would be in the same position, so I'd probably expect to hear tomorrow or Wednesday.

Yep, received my interview email. Feb 3 in the afternoon.

Oops, sorry mate! These are just the things that I did in preparation for my interview. I was really intent on nailing it hehe.

Haha, it means I'll have to start putting in lots of effort from now to my interview.

Got my email with the interview time and date today - interviewing in Sydney. :) Anyone else?
Yep! When's yours? Now, I need to plan out my day - as in stay overnight in Sydney beforehand, or just train down on the day.

Frap
January 13th, 2016, 11:46
as in stay overnight in Sydney

Stay overnight. Read word's advice thread for why.

Meow
January 13th, 2016, 11:55
I'm Feb 3 in the morning.

Do you have far to come in for your interview? I'm about an hourish away so while Word is spot on in that advice, I might save the coin and catch the train in. It's a pretty easy run.

arumisan
January 13th, 2016, 12:03
I wish it was in the morning!! Then there would have been no dilemma (as in I would stay over at my sister's place for sure). I'm from Newcastle, so it's going to be a 2 and a half hour (or 2 and a quarter with the express) train ride.

I'll talk to my sister and others to see my best course of action.

Meow
January 13th, 2016, 12:07
Ahhh yeah - staying in a hotel doesn't help if you have to check out four hours before your interview. :( I'm in the Mountains... so similar! Good luck in your interview.

Also, question - the email says to bring 'Outstanding documents not submitted with your application' - does that include the medical and xray, as well as the police check, or can that go in after you've been accepted? I can't remember but I feel like it was said they could come later and I don't want to get to the day and be wrong!

arumisan
January 13th, 2016, 12:11
Ahhh yeah - staying in a hotel doesn't help if you have to check out four hours before your interview. :( I'm in the Mountains... so similar! Good luck in your interview.

Also, question - the email says to bring 'Outstanding documents not submitted with your application' - does that include the medical and xray, as well as the police check, or can that go in after you've been accepted? I can't remember but I feel like it was said they could come later and I don't want to get to the day and be wrong!

Similar situations eh :P

For the 'outstanding documents', if you plan on going in April, those have to be submitted by the interview (I sent them in with my app). If you're planning on the mid year intake, they can be submitted later.

Meow
January 13th, 2016, 12:21
Perfect, thanks arumisan! Good luck with your interview and hope you get in for April - such an awesome time of year to arrive! :)

thecatalyst
January 13th, 2016, 12:52
I'm interviewing in Sydney, too, but the following day. I hope the weather is mild/cool - i.e. not anything like this week, because I don't want to fry in my formal attire and walk into the consulate a sweaty/shiny mess.

Three weeks!

arumisan
January 13th, 2016, 12:59
Perfect, thanks arumisan! Good luck with your interview and hope you get in for April - such an awesome time of year to arrive! :)

Good luck to you too!

I'm interviewing in Sydney, too, but the following day. I hope the weather is mild/cool - i.e. not anything like this week, because I don't want to fry in my formal attire and walk into the consulate a sweaty/shiny mess.

Three weeks!

It better be - Newcastle's been sweltering hot as well. Hopefully it cools down soon enough. you guy reminded me that I need to make sure that my formal gear is alright (probably have to get new ones though :/ ). Also have to do other prep as well (hair cut, get the passport photo done etc.)

Good luck to you and everyone granted an interview!

CherryChieri
January 17th, 2016, 17:11
I was planning on staying overnight, even though I'm an hour(ish) away by train (depending if vline actually wants to run the trains or not!). Turns out the last part of my flight centre course finishes on the same day so I'd already be in Melb for the week (I'll be skipping the course that day, already informed them but not sure if the fc guy really bothered reading/understanding it or not -shrug- worse course I've ever wasted time and money on tbh)

If anyone is staying in a hotel, see if you can book late check out and/or ask the staff to hold your bags until you return from your interview. Most places are happy to do it and it's better than dragging your stuff around or trying to find a big enough locker!

I'm heading out to buy a suit in the next few days and spent today doing some preparation. Having to get my hair done as well since I decided to colour some of green two months ago lmao

nicolejp
January 18th, 2016, 10:56
Kind of late to the party, but hi there! I've got an interview in Melbourne :D

Are any of you guys applying for CIR?

Wakuwaku
January 18th, 2016, 17:09
Awesome, another Melbourne person. When is your interview?

AreAmEye
January 19th, 2016, 16:00
First post, so hi!

I'm interviewing in Sydney on the 3rd... figured I should register here n' stuff ...n' stuff.

Meow
January 20th, 2016, 13:44
@nicolejp - I went for ALT. Not far along enough for the CIR.
@AreAmEye - good luck! Same day for me...

Anyone else hearing much about other sites? I know they are already doing the Canberra interviews.

AreAmEye
January 20th, 2016, 17:35
@AreAmEye - good luck! Same day for me...

Good luck to you too!
I'm from the mountains too... though I'm gonna stay in the city the night before.

Pup
January 21st, 2016, 08:30
Melbournians: Your panels will probably consist of 3 people, 1 person from the Embassy in Canberra (or Consulate), 1 ex-JET and local Japanese figure, eg teacher, businessman/woman.

Don't drink too much of the water, though don't not drink the water. You'll get parched talking so much.

Jiggit
January 21st, 2016, 08:47
I knew Australian JETs were thick, but I didn't realise they needed to be taught what water is for.

Ini
January 21st, 2016, 08:56
sounds like solid interview advice. Even the prestigious university of Tasmania recommends it.
http://www.utas.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/11524/Interview-Skills.pdf

Jiggit
January 21st, 2016, 09:05
"If you find yourself getting lightheaded, try breathing in some air through your nose or mouth. This can help by providing oxygen to your brain."

acpc2203
January 21st, 2016, 09:29
Hey Australians are people too.

Jiggit
January 21st, 2016, 09:38
It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose. Some people think their pets are people, after all.

uthinkimlost?
January 21st, 2016, 09:41
Hey Australians are people too.

*citation needed

acpc2203
January 21st, 2016, 09:46
I was just trying to be nice, I don't have any proof that Australians are people.

Ini
January 21st, 2016, 09:47
I cant help but feel this is a "the lounge" type discussion.....

uthinkimlost?
January 21st, 2016, 09:49
I cant help but feel this is a "the lounge" type discussion.....

were we still doing that? I thought that we were in the end of days.

Ini
January 21st, 2016, 09:57
well its been 3 months... I get the impression the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse have given up on their plans.

Jiggit
January 21st, 2016, 10:02
Don't you know the world ends not with a bang, but a whimper?

Frap
January 21st, 2016, 10:52
Don't you know the world ends not with a bang, but a whimper?

story of my life

GodInStrafeMode
January 21st, 2016, 13:07
Good luck to all you Sydney cats, I was in your position many moons ago (2008 to be exact)

Pup
January 22nd, 2016, 09:22
Mate, I realize it sounds stupid but drink too much, coupled with the anxiety that's already running through you and that water will just pass right through you into your bladder.

Also in Australia we have some people who keep crocs as pets.

AreAmEye
January 23rd, 2016, 10:55
"If you find yourself getting lightheaded, try breathing in some air through your nose or mouth. This can help by providing oxygen to your brain."

Jeez, don't give us the option of breathing through our mouths... our reputations are bad enough already.

Also in Australia we have some people who keep crocs as pets.

Panel - What would you bring to Japan to represent your culture?
Pup - Well, I have this pet...

CherryChieri
January 25th, 2016, 14:56
Well, Woolworths forgot Tasmania existed, so there are probably quite a few of us who need help :lol:

Regarding interviews, what's the likelihood of us having an English test and/or lesson plan? Pretty confident after reading up on un/common questions, SOP, Japanese news etc, so now just a bit of practice!!

Pup
January 26th, 2016, 08:13
If I did bring my croc I'd
A) Be doing Stevo a great honour
B) Probably get it stuck in quarantine for a fairly long time.

As far as English Tests are concerned, I've not heard of a JET getting an English test during the interview. In my opinion the initial application itself is kind of an English test due to all the weird instructions and SOP, haha.

It's advised to have a brief understanding of lesson planning, some people say that they were asked to plan and teach (to the panel) something about their home country OR a predefined topic chosen by the panel. The former would require pre-planning, the latter would require on the spot thinking.

For uncommon questions, I'd recommend you prepare yourselves for hard to answer questions, for example: the Americans get the question 'What if a student asked you why America bombed Hiroshima/Nagasaki' what would you do? Similarly I would prepare yourself for something along the lines of 'What if a student asked you why Australia hates Japan for whaling'. My recommendation is REMAIN AS NEUTRAL AS YOU CAN REGARDLESS OF IDEOLOGY.

Ini
January 26th, 2016, 08:36
REMAIN AS NEUTRAL AS YOU CAN REGARDLESS OF IDEOLOGY.

best advice eva

CherryChieri
January 26th, 2016, 15:32
Thanks Pup!

I think it might be a UK only thing, which seems weird. I agree that the application and SOP should speak for your written ability, and the interview is clearly the speaking portion, so why you need a test is beyond me.

I've been practicing my song and dance routine ;p, but I really hope I can get something like 'talk about Australia day' haha

arumisan
January 26th, 2016, 19:43
For uncommon questions, I'd recommend you prepare yourselves for hard to answer questions, for example: the Americans get the question 'What if a student asked you why America bombed Hiroshima/Nagasaki' what would you do? Similarly I would prepare yourself for something along the lines of 'What if a student asked you why Australia hates Japan for whaling'. My recommendation is REMAIN AS NEUTRAL AS YOU CAN REGARDLESS OF IDEOLOGY.

Great advice! I didn't even think of that as I'm preparing my answers.

Re: grammar tests and what not. I've read several blogs, posts, watched Youtube videos etc. ... the grammar tests are most certainly UK only (probably).

You have a song and dance routine CherryChieri o_O? For your sake, I hope you get to perform that in the interview!

CherryChieri
January 26th, 2016, 20:41
Yeah, really just wanted to confirm it was UK only. Seems so weird to have it at all!

If I did my song and dance, I'd probably be kicked out lmao Nah, I babysat my friend's kids and tried to memorise some of the educational songs lol

arumisan
January 26th, 2016, 20:54
Yeah, really just wanted to confirm it was UK only. Seems so weird to have it at all!

If I did my song and dance, I'd probably be kicked out lmao Nah, I babysat my friend's kids and tried to memorise some of the educational songs lol

Honestly, it depends - I know with Interac and whatnot, they may conduct them.

Haha, the only educational song that I know at the top of my head is "Heads, shoulders, knees and toes"! There were some Jolly Phonics songs I used to know when I volunteered in a primary school but I've forgotten them already.

thecatalyst
January 27th, 2016, 10:03
I think I burnt out all my ~revision and prep in the past few months and the last couple of weeks since receiving the interview notification I just haven't been thinking about it a lot. I realise I am probably putting too much stake in everything, so I've stepped back from the experience a lot this month. I'm just going to go with the flow and do my best in the interview. Depending how confident I feel with that, I'll then decide whether to apply through other organisations as well.

One potential question I have been thinking about though, and don't really have an answer for, is something along the lines of, "what would you do if a JTE made an obvious English mistake?"

I really don't have an answer to this and it almost feels like a trick question haha. Suggestions? I'd probably just correct them on the spot, which seems like the right thing to do... right? :0

One week to go!

Jiggit
January 27th, 2016, 10:14
A better answer would be something like:

It would depend on the situation. If it wasn't particularly important to the lesson I would probably just leave it till after the lesson to try and explain it. If it was something more essential to the completion of the activity I might try to correct the mistake while laughing it off or mention it to them quietly in the corner. Either way I'd want to avoid putting any kind of blame on them, since I think everyone makes mistakes, even native speakers.

The point of "trick" questions is not to have a "correct" answer, but to show that you understand the nuances of a difficult situation, see?

Of course in my lessons I base it on how much of a tit that teacher is.

Gizmotech
January 27th, 2016, 10:57
LOL Jiggit

But ya he's right, trick questions are meant to break you out of your scripted answer set. They need to see how you are going to react to something you obviously haven't prepared for (see atleast 70% of our jobs... more so if you come to work drunk like I do regularly).

Also the UK is the only country of total educational fuckwits that need an english test. They trust the rest of us just fine.

mothy
January 27th, 2016, 11:34
Of course the right answer is correct it behind the JTEs back while ensuring the students are watching you do it, then rolling your eyes and making a gesture at the teacher which can be understood in any language as meaning, "this dummy."

Jiggit
January 27th, 2016, 11:56
Of course the right answer is correct it behind the JTEs back while ensuring the students are watching you do it, then rolling your eyes and making a gesture at the teacher which can be understood in any language as meaning, "this dummy."

I like to wait for them to start an overly long and confused grammar explanation and do this:

http://i.imgur.com/uqEIiEL.gif

mothy
January 27th, 2016, 13:04
I've done that five or six times today already.

Pup
January 28th, 2016, 09:59
In an interview situation I would mention that I would talk to my JTE first about issues like this and just ask them straight up how they would like it handled. For example my current JTEs all don't give a rats arse if I correct them. But I know a few ALTs who have non-so-appreciative JTEs.

Similarly, you encounter a student who is disruptive. What do you do? Similar to the above question, ask your JTE how to approach it before it happens first.

arumisan
January 29th, 2016, 09:38
In an interview situation I would mention that I would talk to my JTE first about issues like this and just ask them straight up how they would like it handled. For example my current JTEs all don't give a rats arse if I correct them. But I know a few ALTs who have non-so-appreciative JTEs.

Similarly, you encounter a student who is disruptive. What do you do? Similar to the above question, ask your JTE how to approach it before it happens first.

Agreed. If people need more help, I suggest consulting the General Information Handbook (http://jetprogramme.org/wp-content/themes/biz-vektor/pdf/publications/gih2015_e.pdf) (go to page 95).

Personally I'm more worried about the "typical" interview questions e.g strengths/weakness haha.

Also received a phone call from the consulate - apparently I forgot to include page 8 in my application :/

CherryChieri
January 31st, 2016, 20:20
I think I burnt out all my ~revision and prep in the past few months and the last couple of weeks since receiving the interview notification I just haven't been thinking about it a lot. I realise I am probably putting too much stake in everything, so I've stepped back from the experience a lot this month. I'm just going to go with the flow and do my best in the interview. Depending how confident I feel with that, I'll then decide whether to apply through other organisations as well.

That's basically how I'm feeling. It'd suck if I don't get it, but it isn't the end of the world. There are other companies and other opportunities. Failing is just another chance to learn (a sucky and expensive one, but hey!). At the end of the day, it's an interview and we can't let it overtake our lives. It's kinda scary how many people get super obsessed over this programme...

In any case, regarding the interview voucher, it says to attach one photo in the upper right corner. This probably sounds dumb, but is that just where there's the little rectangle saying to affix the photo (and only stick the top right of it), or do they want one there AND in the upper right corner? I realise it's not a particularly big deal (I've got spare pictures with me anyway), but I'd rather get it right now rather than be flustered on the day, y'know?

Pup
February 1st, 2016, 08:36
It's been a year since I applied but are you referring to the voucher that you send in with a postage stamp and they send it back to you after they receive it? Because I can tell you from experience that they don't send it back haha.

thecatalyst
February 1st, 2016, 10:01
It's kinda scary how many people get super obsessed over this programme...

Some attitudes toward JET are really off-putting in this regard. Like, I've seen some people all but say they are willing to uproot their entire lives to go live in what they expect to be some fantasy land, without any money or idea what they are doing. It's been an eye-opening experience, and of course I want the opportunity to go myself, but I am very well-prepared to do it another way if need be. I can't imagine going through this particular process all over again haha - it's very bizarre to see people admit that this is their X number time applying.

As for the passport photo, I'm just attaching it where the space is on the voucher. The place I did mine printed out EIGHT for $10, so I have plenty of spares as well.

I have a question, too - I received more documents from my university which confirm my graduation, etc. - when is the best time to submit those? Is there any deadline? I elected to not try for an early departure in April, because I won't graduate until then, so the same applies for my police background check and medical assessment. I don't really see the need to do any extra paperwork (especially if it costs money unnecessarily) until I know the outcome of my interview, but do you think that might be leaving it too late?

Pup
February 1st, 2016, 14:37
As far as additional documentation, as long as they come before visa application date you don't need to be in such a hurry. If you're in Melbourne Ms. Kobayashi is pretty chill with things coming in after the due date. Though of course I'd e-mail and check before you take your time. Though AFAIK you were supposed to have done things like the police check before your interview.

As a point of reference I got my medical and police check stuff in at the application stage. I got my expected date of graduation letter in after I'd been accepted and my proof of graduation (not certificate) like 2 weeks before I left for Japan.

Hope that helps.
Cheers

thecatalyst
February 1st, 2016, 14:50
Thanks, Pup! The wait for my graduation has been almost as unbearable as the JET application process - April is a beacon of light because at least then both processes will be over with.

June is the deadline to submit those two docs - at least according to the handbook:

"In principle, all successful candidates (including short-list candidates) and alternates must obtain and submit their NationalPolice Check and Certificates of Health to their interview office by 3rd June, 2016."

CherryChieri
February 1st, 2016, 18:49
It's been a year since I applied but are you referring to the voucher that you send in with a postage stamp and they send it back to you after they receive it? Because I can tell you from experience that they don't send it back haha.

Nah I meant the interview voucher. And yours must have been lost because I got mine haha!

Some attitudes toward JET are really off-putting in this regard. Like, I've seen some people all but say they are willing to uproot their entire lives to go live in what they expect to be some fantasy land, without any money or idea what they are doing. It's been an eye-opening experience, and of course I want the opportunity to go myself, but I am very well-prepared to do it another way if need be. I can't imagine going through this particular process all over again haha - it's very bizarre to see people admit that this is their X number time applying.

As for the passport photo, I'm just attaching it where the space is on the voucher. The place I did mine printed out EIGHT for $10, so I have plenty of spares as well.

If I didn't get in with JET or other companies, I'd try JET again once, but it's way too expensive and time consuming to keep trying numerous times. And really, if you keep applying and aren't getting it, you probably need to take a good look at your application and yourself... Well, I guess that's their issue. And there's so much info I really don't know how some people don't know what they're getting into?? Especially when it comes to money - like, you're not only moving house, but countries?? It's not exactly chump change lol

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. What a cheap price! Mine was $16 for eight!!

Good luck to everyone and I might see some of you in Melbourne tomorrow!!

Meow
February 2nd, 2016, 12:47
Did anyone interview today in Sydney? Any insight you can share? Did you do a mock lesson? :)

Good luck tomorrow, arumisan! :) Wish me luck too. :)

arumisan
February 2nd, 2016, 12:57
I'm at the state where I'm just reviewing everything on my application and that's it (trying to learn about specific facts and I think it's having adverse effects). Like others have said, at the end of the day, it's just an interview and there are other options out there. As for the submitting documentation, if you're an June/July applicant, you have until what thecatalyst has noted in their post. Honestly, unless you're planning to go in April, I would wait to submit (as the NPC costs about about $50).

Good luck Meow! I hope you'll (and I) do well enough that we'll be able to meet across the ocean!

Wakuwaku
February 2nd, 2016, 14:14
I had mine today in Melbourne. Lot's of questions I expected so nothing really threw me, but I walked out of there with no idea how I went.

I got asked:
Tell us about yourself?
Why JET?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
How would you cope being an assistant since you are a qualified teacher? What if you are only allowed to read from the text book?
What clubs would you run to show Australian culture?
How do you feel about whaling?
Some questions in Japanese.

Now to wait until March or April...

Pup
February 2nd, 2016, 15:03
Oh you mean the little slip of paper that you bring into the interview? I vaguely remember something like that.

It looks like the deadline is pretty generous, I actually never really read the handbook prior to my interview (and after getting into JET)...

I'd say, hold off on your expenses until you find out your results, then get everything submitted ASAP. For those who are still at uni, finish your semester.

Your graduation date will probably be AFTER you leave for Japan so I would defer the ceremony til December and ask your uni to print out a letter of completion.

It's nothing special, it just officially tells the JET coordinator that you've finished your studies and have a degree, it just hasn't been awarded to you yet.

CherryChieri
February 3rd, 2016, 11:45
Had mine in Melb yesterday.

The consulate employee wasn't there to start with, being delayed due to meetings. Came in late, apologised, a few minutes later his phone went off, apologised and went to answer, dropped phone as it was leaving, came back after the call was done. Said he didn't need to ask questions as he'd heard some of my answers... Really not sure how that will work it, tbh. It was good in the sense that I didn't get the 'they're out to get you vibe' (which they aren't) but it was distracting at the same time.

Panel was nice enough, no mock lesson, I made them laugh and I think they liked me. I thought the Japanese section was going to be way harder (I'm roughly N3) so it kinda threw me with how easy it was lol! Feeling confident, but that doesn't mean much. You've essentially got to be less crap than everyone else, so...

For reference, panel was two ladies (former CIR and one Japanese teacher, who was Japanese) and the male consulate employee.

Meow
February 3rd, 2016, 19:11
Holla guys and dolls! Well, I interviewed in Sydney today and it was super awkward! But, drumroll, it was my awkwardness, not them. No major curve balls, no 'out to get you' or good cop/bad cop. The panel was really kind and friendly, I was just more nervous than usual so I spoke waytoofast. I was fine speaking Japanese on check in and with the pre-interview staff, but as soon as I hit the room *poof* magically gone!

So, what does this mean for you? Well, as long as you're confident when you go in you'll probably beat me! ;) I did manage to glean that there are around 60 candidates being interviewed in Sydney this year. Anyone know how many Australians went last year? I know the data is out there somewhere!

Ganbatte to all others going for Sydney! :)

arumisan
February 3rd, 2016, 19:26
Holla guys and dolls! Well, I interviewed in Sydney today and it was super awkward! But, drumroll, it was my awkwardness, not them. No major curve balls, no 'out to get you' or good cop/bad cop. The panel was really kind and friendly, I was just more nervous than usual so I spoke waytoofast. I was fine speaking Japanese on check in and with the pre-interview staff, but as soon as I hit the room *poof* magically gone!

So, what does this mean for you? Well, as long as you're confident when you go in you'll probably beat me! ;) I did manage to glean that there are around 60 candidates being interviewed in Sydney this year. Anyone know how many Australians went last year? I know the data is out there somewhere!

Ganbatte to all others going for Sydney! :)

Had the same comment from the Sydney interviewers - spoke way too fast!

The Japanese section should not have thrown me off but it did haha - did say to them that even though I did a year abroad in Japan I am still rather bad at it. I probably would have done better with a textual reference as it's been more than 3 years since I've spoken Japanese! (Need to find a Japanese speaking partner on that note!) And it's bad as I actually understood most of the conversation between the two consulate guys before my interview.

The former JET guy said that there were 62 people being interviewed - and he said that statistically half get in. However with Tokyo 2020 and year 5/6 being compulsory, they may (key word here) require more people.

Pup
February 4th, 2016, 08:22
From what I remember there was about 25 from Melbourne last year, add about 10 more from the smaller states and territories and another 25-30 from NSW and you'll get to maybe a bit under 100?

But yes, for Australian JETs, once you get past the interview stage I'd say the pass rate is ridiculously high. As long as you didn't do any major mistakes such as insult the Japanese race as a whole, show them that you are of a bad character, then you're probably fine.

thecatalyst
February 4th, 2016, 22:24
I had my interview yesterday, and from what I remember (it was such a blur) I think I gave some really good answers to the questions thrown at me and impressed myself with how calm/concise I responded on the spot. It was so relaxed and a really enjoyable interview for the most part - a lot of the questions I got were not what I expected at all. I didn't leave feeling like I couldn't wait to get out of there, and we spent the whole 30 minutes interviewing. I still have some lingering doubts, but I think at this point I just want to put the whole application process out of my mind and know I did everything I could. I can relax now, be proud of myself no matter what outcome, and hopefully the wait for the interview results won't be too drawn-out.

Once again, best of luck to everyone. Hope we can all count on meeting each other in Tokyo!

Pup
February 5th, 2016, 08:31
Sounds like you did well mate, everything for me was pretty much a blur too. However I had the hindsight to face palm at some of my responses.

Name some current news events occurring in Japan.
THERE'S THE ISSUE OF THE GUY GETTING EXECUTED BY THE ISIS.
Oh and the every increasing debt of Japan.

Stay classy Pup.

CherryChieri
February 5th, 2016, 09:37
I think mine was only about 15 minutes or so. Not sure if Melb only had one panel or not, there were three of us with the same interview time.

Nice one Pup :lol:

I'm so annoyed they didn't ask me about the news! I had everything covered! There was the Okinawan mayor who was reelected in the area where the US base is meant to be moved to (and he is very against moving it to his area), Panasonic Knights rugby team won three seasons in a row (plus some other competition), Kabuki is doing its first paid performance in Vegas (they did a special performance there last year, but it was free and this is an entirely new original show), and theres a rakugo dude doing it in Tokyo entirely in English to try and help with making it famous overseas (he's previously had sold out shows in Singapore).

But no. I got most of the regular 'why JET' etc and then one or two ones more about me (I currently work for NHK World - very tough job, being paid to give feedback on tv shows lmao)

arumisan
February 5th, 2016, 11:23
Sounds like you did well mate, everything for me was pretty much a blur too. However I had the hindsight to face palm at some of my responses.

Name some current news events occurring in Japan.
THERE'S THE ISSUE OF THE GUY GETTING EXECUTED BY THE ISIS.
Oh and the every increasing debt of Japan.

Stay classy Pup.

Haha, great responses Pup xD
I didn't have that but I had something like "what three Australian issues would you teach to Japanese adults" and the first thing that popped into my head was whaling.

I think mine was only about 15 minutes or so. Not sure if Melb only had one panel or not, there were three of us with the same interview time.

Nice one Pup :lol:

I'm so annoyed they didn't ask me about the news! I had everything covered! There was the Okinawan mayor who was reelected in the area where the US base is meant to be moved to (and he is very against moving it to his area), Panasonic Knights rugby team won three seasons in a row (plus some other competition), Kabuki is doing its first paid performance in Vegas (they did a special performance there last year, but it was free and this is an entirely new original show), and theres a rakugo dude doing it in Tokyo entirely in English to try and help with making it famous overseas (he's previously had sold out shows in Singapore).

But no. I got most of the regular 'why JET' etc and then one or two ones more about me (I currently work for NHK World - very tough job, being paid to give feedback on tv shows lmao)

My interview started late and ran slightly overtime (scheduled for 3:25-3:50 - didn't have a watch on me when I went in but by the time I left the building it was already 4:35!!). And like you, CherryChieri, I did look into current events but they didn't really ask me Japan-related questions (in a way it was a good thing) but I did tie some of my research into my answers (somehow I ended up talking about study exchange and Japan-Australia trade in a rather superficial manner hehe).

From what I remember (and I recall what I said, but not how I said it - my lead interviewer ended up having to rephrase two of my answers for clarifications since I was speaking. way. too. fast. (and occasionally tripping over my words). My panel (two former JETs and Japanese consulate person) mainly talked about my SOP, my experiences (and the lead interviewer did mention how I was a recent graduate as well and was comparing me to other more experienced - in terms of being a professional). The other former JET only asked me what I thought the JET program entails. The Japanese consulate lady asked me about my teaching practicum aside from the Japanese language questions (and thinking over them now, I cringe at how badly I answered them).

I believe there were three panels in Sydney - at least that's what the consulate guy (who's a former JET) said but I think all the interviews ran late by the time I showed up.

Your job with NHK World sounds really interesting CherryChieri! If I was an interviewer, I would love to hear about it too!

ljusastjarnan
February 6th, 2016, 12:35
Otsukaresamadeshita, everyone! :)

I feel like I was a tad awkward during the whole thing but for the most part it was fairly enjoyable and the interviewers were really nice. From what I hear, they don't really have the tribunal/see-how-you-act-under-pressure thing anymore, do they? I also got the 'what australian issues would you teach kids!' and I said the first three news items that came to mind ahahahah.

I think I fudged the last Japanese question they threw at me, the 'do you think English should be taught at a much younger age' thing, but that was quite a difficult question anyway, so I'm feeling quite cheerful about the whole thing, regardless of the results.

Good luck to everyone here! From the interviewee's I talked to at the Consulate, JET seems has a strong batch of applicants this year in Sydney. :)

Pup
February 8th, 2016, 09:25
As said in other posts, some of their questions aren't serious questions but are meant to throw you off to see how you react to pressure. Better, more qualified applicants? That may be true but probably more than 80% of JETs have no qualifications related to teaching English. So I wouldn't worry about things like that so much, I hadn't even graduated when I got in lol and I'm old.

Sounds like everyone did really well all around! I'll see any of you who make their way up to Aomori hopefully!

Wakuwaku
February 8th, 2016, 16:01
And now the wait begins...

Frap
February 8th, 2016, 16:07
And now the wait begins...

Stick around and pass the time with us~~

Jiggit
February 8th, 2016, 16:12
Do you have the time, to listen to us whine?

Frap
February 8th, 2016, 16:14
is this blink182 again?

Gizmotech
February 8th, 2016, 19:17
is this blink182 again?

Uhh no. Like way better bro.

Kitto Katsu
February 8th, 2016, 23:40
So I'm really late to this thread, but I've been lurking for a while! I thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm from Brisbane and this is my first year applying. I had my interview last Thursday! I think it went well, but there are definitely some places I'm cringing at thinking about my answers.
And now I'm left in this limbo waiting for April... I'm trying to find something to do because the last few months I've been doing the application and preparing for the interview. I just work part-time at a coffee shop and I've already graduated and I'm feeling so empty now...
Anyone else feel the same way? I guess I better get some hobbies.

Pup
February 9th, 2016, 10:44
G'day and welcome mate.

I hope you get posted here in Aomori, would be good to have another person who loves their coffee here.

I'll probably be posting less as there's less need for my shitty advice but feel free to ask any general questions in the mean time.

thecatalyst
February 9th, 2016, 12:45
And now I'm left in this limbo waiting for April... I'm trying to find something to do because the last few months I've been doing the application and preparing for the interview. I just work part-time at a coffee shop and I've already graduated and I'm feeling so empty now...
Anyone else feel the same way? I guess I better get some hobbies.

Welcome, Kitto!

Trying very hard not to think about it. Even this past week since the interview has felt like much longer. Now that I have nothing to prepare for, and I'm only working part time, I have a lot of time on my hands and little motivation to fill it with constructive things. I'm studying Japanese every day, though, after a less than satisfactory performance in my interview.

Pup
February 9th, 2016, 15:27
I believe from resources I read when I was preparing for interviews that Japanese ability only accounts for about 5% of your overall score.

EDIT: Sorry I need to clarify its more of a 'score' than score. If that makes sense

Kitto Katsu
February 9th, 2016, 21:54
Thanks! I'd actually loved to be placed in Aomori. I've never been further north than Gunma and I'm keen to explore!
Thanks for the offer of advice! :)
P.S. I don't suppose you've visited Arabica Coffee in Arashiyama? (Hope this isn't too off topic).

Kitto Katsu
February 9th, 2016, 21:58
Thank you! Man, we are totally in the same boat. Time is moving so much slower. I actually got terribly down last night because I had such little motivation, hence posting in this thread. But feeling better today and more determined to achieve something.
Good on you for studying Japanese more! I think my problem is that it's harder to set solid goals for learning languages. But I suppose I'll try and set X amount of hours dedicated to Japanese study a week? Any ideas?
Haha, my performance was pretty bad. Included "Wakarimasen" and the response "E to... Kaze ga suki desu...?" to the question "Why do you like hiking?" :P

Kitto Katsu
February 9th, 2016, 21:58
That's what helped me sleep at night.

Pup
February 15th, 2016, 09:09
That's actually on my agenda when I go visit Osaka/Kyoto in April. The barista there is my mate's friend and one of my senpai here in Aomori always sends me instagram vids of him doing latte art.

Haha well Japanese ability is not what gets you into the JET Programme so don't worry about the Japanese component of the interview! I know plenty of JETs who have zero language ability.

I currently TRY to study at least one chapter a day. That said, I'm on chapter 2 of my new book and I last touched it last Wednesday...

Ini
February 15th, 2016, 11:18
Senpai?

oh dear......

mothy
February 15th, 2016, 11:20
You tell them, Ini senpai.

Frap
February 15th, 2016, 11:26
I currently TRY to study at least one chapter a day. That said, I'm on chapter 2 of my new book and I last touched it last Wednesday...

say 'last' again

Pup
February 15th, 2016, 13:39
Lastly, I'd like to say that my last cup of coffee today was at, last I checked, half past the last hour.

CherryChieri
February 24th, 2016, 19:04
Tbh, right now I don't care if I'm in or out, I just want a damn answer.

(That's a lie, of course I care, I wouldn't wait this long if I didn't!!)

I know what I signed up for, but knowing you have a stupidly long wait is different to actually doing to the stupidly long wait...

At my interview they said we'd be notified mid to late March, and I'm really hoping it's mid...

arumisan
February 24th, 2016, 19:32
Right now I'm working on vocab (but I really need to look at grammar and speaking soon since I've forgotten and not a very confident speaker in Japanese). Though I have been quite lazy over the past week.

Re: CherryChieri
I know what you mean!!!! I'm still stuck in limbo and the long wait is making me wishy washy about looking into other options (although I need to start looking into them *nervous laughter*)

CherryChieri
February 24th, 2016, 19:36
I signed up for uni and I stupidly chose to start in semester one instead of two (though there isn't a lot starting in sem 2...) and it starts next week... Census cutoff is on the 31st of March, so hopefully JET will tell me before then lol!

I really need kanji practice...

thecatalyst
February 24th, 2016, 19:36
Tbh, right now I don't care if I'm in or out, I just want a damn answer.

(That's a lie, of course I care, I wouldn't wait this long if I didn't!!)

I know what I signed up for, but knowing you have a stupidly long wait is different to actually doing to the stupidly long wait...

At my interview they said we'd be notified mid to late March, and I'm really hoping it's mid...

YEP. I'm trying to conceive back up options in case I don't get in, and then I won't feel as much that I have wasted six months. Thinking about other companies, or a working holiday visa, or even going back to uni to do my post-grad sooner than later. Of course, I would love to not have to consider any of those options, but the wait is a struggle some days. The worst outcome for me isn't even 'no' - it would be being listed as an alternate - because yes or no I can handle. Any more waiting, though... that would definitely test my commitment. :lol:

Wakuwaku
February 25th, 2016, 06:21
I rang the consulate yesterday asking when April departure would be notified. No date as of yet.
Just hang in there.

Pup
February 29th, 2016, 08:23
You should know by March 31st (probably earlier like 20th) I believe. Sorry I don't have any emails to back that up but I don't remember waiting for an absurd amount of time or anything.

CherryChieri
February 29th, 2016, 13:34
I rang the consulate yesterday asking when April departure would be notified. No date as of yet.
Just hang in there.

In all honesty, I don't think they'd tell you even if they knew.

If that info got out, you know there'd be that one moron who'd harass them. Plus, if there's some kind of delay, they aren't held accountable or anything since no one knows.

You should know by March 31st (probably earlier like 20th) I believe. Sorry I don't have any emails to back that up but I don't remember waiting for an absurd amount of time or anything.

Looking at last year's thread (...I need to get a life...), April arrivals were notified on the 7th. Well, STARTING from the 7th.

20th should be fine though. Just need to make sure I know before census!

Pup
March 1st, 2016, 10:52
Oh sorry right, yeah no I have no idea when early departures are notified. But the general bag of cats will be release around then i believe.

arumisan
March 1st, 2016, 11:41
At least it's fast approaching that date! It's starting to get unbearable too :/

CherryChieri
March 1st, 2016, 14:59
I'm just tired of having people ask when I'm going, and having to remind them IF. Yeah I'm confident, but I don't want to build it up and then get squashed when everything crumbles!!

But we're coming to the end, so fingers crossed everyone!

uthinkimlost?
March 1st, 2016, 15:01
I'm just tired of having people ask when I'm going

Let that be a Life Lesson(tm).

Tell no one of anything you're trying to do until it is a certainty.

CherryChieri
March 1st, 2016, 17:10
Tried to do that. It's something I need to work on!! :lol:

arumisan
March 2nd, 2016, 14:50
It's somewhat happening to me too haha. Told my mum, and she decided the spread the word -_- I told her off too once I found out about it and she knocked it back by saying "it doesn't matter if you don't get in."

Also got an email from one of the teachers where I did one of my placements asking if anyone is interested in doing a Japanese internship. I got no one to ask. Tried Facebook but no one is responding yet.

CherryChieri
March 8th, 2016, 15:20
GUESS WHOS GOING TO EHIME

(Interviewed in Melb, April arrival)

arumisan
March 8th, 2016, 15:52
CONGRATS CHERRYCHIERI!!!!

(I got Higashine! No idea where that is so Google it is...)

thecatalyst
March 8th, 2016, 16:02
Oh my god - congratulations, guys! Both those placements seem awesome!

Unfortunately I couldn't apply for April arrival because I knew I would be moving, and my graduation is that month (I've always wanted to attend in person). So! I'll just be over here in limbo for another month haha.

arumisan
March 8th, 2016, 16:18
Thanks thecatalyst ^^

My graduation is also that month! I've already attended one (for my grad diploma), so missing out isn't a big thing for me hehe (I've already missed my undergrad so it's not exactly a new thing for me :P)

Do enjoy your grad ceremony though and I pray that you'll get in too!!

Kishkash
March 8th, 2016, 16:32
Look who else is going to Higashine too!!! They must be expanding there!

AreAmEye
March 8th, 2016, 16:43
'gratz guys!

arumisan
March 8th, 2016, 17:21
Really Kishkash?! I hope we get to meet up or something ^^

And thanks AreAmEye :)

Kishkash
March 8th, 2016, 17:47
Me Too!! Where are you flying from arumisan?

arumisan
March 8th, 2016, 18:02
I'll be flying from Sydney. You're from Melbourne right (or you're flying from there)? I'll guess we'll be meeting in Japan xD

Kishkash
March 8th, 2016, 18:42
Yeah, I'll be flying from Melbourne. What a pity! I'll definitely be seeing you round in Tokyo though :P

arumisan
March 8th, 2016, 19:07
For sure! Can't wait to meet all you guys!

(And good luck to those who are still waiting!)

CherryChieri
March 8th, 2016, 20:12
Congrats guys!

At least you guys already know someone haha!

I feel like one stress has been lifted off my shoulders, and another added lol! But this is a more productive, 'fun' stress, if that makes sense ;p

Wakuwaku
March 9th, 2016, 05:20
Congratulations everyone! I also got in!! Ibaraki Prefecture! However, I also accepted a job teaching kindergarten at a bi-lingual international school in Sendai City, so now I'm deciding what I want to do. Eeep.

Cube it is a really great company for sending stuff over:
::: CUBE IT! MELBOURNE | Shipping to Japan ::: Budget Moving & Express Package from Australia to Japan (http://www.cubeit.com.au/cubeit/city_melbourne_en/freight/tojapan.php)

Order Yen from the post office,

Kishkash
March 9th, 2016, 07:51
Wow there's more people going early than I expected. Congrats to you all!!

Man, there's one giant list going down at my place of all the things to do. So much stuff!

I saw that we could take an other suitcase on the plane for 10,000 yen. I wonder if they would be cool with me doing that. Seems cheaper than sending a parcel over.

arumisan
March 9th, 2016, 07:59
Congrats Wakuwaku! At this point consider if you want to go to Ibaraki or Sendai, and what age ranges you want to teach. Still congrats!

I'm surprised too Kishkash. So much stuff to do and so little time! Paying 10000yen for the extra suitcase is certainly cheaper than sending it as a parcel (I should know since I've been sending a lot of stuff over the past year and it's certainly not cheap!)

Ini
March 9th, 2016, 08:40
Sendai is a better place to live but full time kindergarten teacher sounds exhausting... Who pays more?

Kishkash
March 9th, 2016, 09:12
Sendai isn't that far from higashine, so you can always come visit :P

GodInStrafeMode
March 9th, 2016, 09:45
GUESS WHOS GOING TO EHIME

(Interviewed in Melb, April arrival)

Noice! Lived there in early 2001, really loved it. Decent sized city, good access to Kyushu and enough touristy stuff in the surrounding prefectures to allow you lots of weekend trips.

Kishkash
March 9th, 2016, 11:43
The Melbourne embassy just let me know that there are 2 people in Adelaide arriving in April too (wanted to see if I could fly from there instead). So many Australians for April!

Maybe the other countries couldn't get everything together in time for April departure, so they're shipping off the Aussies haha

GodInStrafeMode
March 9th, 2016, 11:55
However, I also accepted a job teaching kindergarten at a bi-lingual international school in Sendai City, so now I'm deciding what I want to do. Eeep.

Full time/ non-contract position?

Gizmotech
March 9th, 2016, 12:40
Higashine yamagata?

Take sendai.

Wakuwaku
March 10th, 2016, 16:06
Full time position, 1 year contract. Almost the same perks as JET, expect longer hours which I'm OK with because who needs free time :P Still deciding, I have given myself until tomorrow to make up my mind.

GodInStrafeMode
March 10th, 2016, 16:18
Full time position, 1 year contract. Almost the same perks as JET, expect longer hours which I'm OK with because who needs free time :P Still deciding, I have given myself until tomorrow to make up my mind.

In that case (i.e. the case of it also being a contract position), I'd take JET. Your call though

CherryChieri
March 10th, 2016, 17:31
Wow there's more people going early than I expected. Congrats to you all!!

Man, there's one giant list going down at my place of all the things to do. So much stuff!

I saw that we could take an other suitcase on the plane for 10,000 yen. I wonder if they would be cool with me doing that. Seems cheaper than sending a parcel over.

Where did you see that?? I'd prefer that to sending a parcel, since there's less chance of loss and damage, plus you've got all your stuff ready to go.

Noice! Lived there in early 2001, really loved it. Decent sized city, good access to Kyushu and enough touristy stuff in the surrounding prefectures to allow you lots of weekend trips.
Awesome! I've never been or heard much about it (time to google!), but it looks good and I picked Fukuoka and Tottori as places I'd like to be, so I guess this is a good (sort of) in between!

Just got a call from my supervisor since apparently the email they tried to send me bounced back :/ I've just sent them an email and added them to my contacts list, so hopefully they get it..? At least it's getting sorted out sooner rather than later!

Kishkash
March 11th, 2016, 08:16
CherryChieri: I saw that we fly with JAL to Tokyo, so I checked their site for baggage allowance. Ill have to wait and see if its definitely with JAL though. The embassy would need to be cool with you doing that though, so I'll have to ask them next week.

webstaa
March 11th, 2016, 08:38
For Americans, baggage fees were handled at the check-in counter individually, I can't see CLAIR/consular staff in Australia doing it differently. So you'd pay at check-in if your baggage is overweight or you need more than the allowance.

JAL allows 2 pieces free, Qantas allows only one. You'll probably fly JAL or a JAL codeshare flight (which is why I listed Qantas.) But the baggage allowance is through whomever is listed on your ticket (JAL ticket=JAL allowance, even if you're on a Qantas operated plane etc.)

If you want to send parcels, check out the airline's "unaccompanied baggage" service as well - you might save a bundle, with the caveat that going to pick it up after it's arrived can be a pain. You might need to bring it to the airport a couple days in advance as well, and there's restrictions on contents.

arumisan
March 11th, 2016, 08:59
Thanks webstaa for the informative post! Here are the weight and size requirements for JAL: JAL International Flights - Check-in and Boarding Information Baggage Rules (https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/bag/) (basically one 10kg carry on and two 23kg check in luggages).

And if you haven't already seen it already kishkash, it seems that one of our fellow ALTs has contacted us via email.

And if there are mailing services, definitely check those out (since sending stuff out of Australia is expensive if using the postal service - even couriers are pretty pricy).

Kishkash
March 11th, 2016, 09:11
Yes! I saw her email arumisan. I'm so happy there'll be five of us girls in the one town. Gonna stock up on some plushies for those elementary schools haha

arumisan
March 11th, 2016, 09:17
@ Kishkash: I was considering the classic children's books (like Possum Magic and Wombat Stew) as those make for great cultural lessons, but plushies is definitely another great idea!

CherryChieri
March 11th, 2016, 18:15
Thanks for the info guys! Something I'll need to check into!

Turns out the email issue I had was just hotmail addresses constantly bouncing back (which has happened before apparently) which led to me creating a gmail account that google now says can't be verified (despite it working fine last night???)... fml

arumisan
March 11th, 2016, 19:12
Tecnical issues amirite?

Have you tried using your uni email? I just use mine for all these official matter haha. Verifying accounts can be annoying though -_- However you should still be receiving emails...?

shanshan310
March 13th, 2016, 10:58
Gaaah I'm so jealous. Maybe I should have gone for an early arrival >< I can't take waiting much longer!

arumisan
March 13th, 2016, 17:44
Thanks shanshan310! Now onwards to predepature stuff - so much stuff to do!

ljusastjarnan
March 14th, 2016, 13:29
Hahah true that, shanshan!

The suspense is killing me!

CherryChieri
March 15th, 2016, 14:51
Tecnical issues amirite?

Have you tried using your uni email? I just use mine for all these official matter haha. Verifying accounts can be annoying though -_- However you should still be receiving emails...?

I'm not used to using my uni email lol I graduated last year and even though I started back again this year, I was only back a week so I forgot it exists lol
Emails going to my hotmail were bouncing. After creating the gmail, verification was fine. Next day 'suspicious activity' or something, and I was told my number was entered too many times, but there was no other verification option?? There was no way to log into the account without putting in the number, but since it wouldn't let me do that....

In any case, google FINALLY fixed it today (without any explanations or anything, so w/e) and I found I had three emails from my pred and supervisor... I know it isn't my fault, but I hate causing issues for others... At least it's sorted out!

I went to Aus Post today and picked up a discounted map of Australia (comes with small pictures of state flags and has all the pms on the back) and discounted calendar of my area. I'm heading out on the weekend to grab some photos of local tourist spots and stuff too.

arumisan
March 15th, 2016, 15:26
@Cherrychieri: I understand! I have three uni emails (excluding the ones I got from exchange/whatever and I don't remember those at all). I have one forwarded to my personal account, barely use my recent one and only use the one that uses gmail as their server (switching between my personal and uni emails on gmail is convenient - still upset that Microsoft got rid of their linking features)

But I digress... my supervisor still hasn't contacted me (has he contacted you Kishkash?) though I'm glad our fellow current Yamagata JETs have been pretty helpful with concerns and stuff.

In regards to the Australiana realia, starting to collect mine today. Contemplating on going to the Regional one (since it has more specialities etc), but it's not easy for me to go to :/

nicolejp
March 16th, 2016, 09:30
It's been a while since I peered in to this thread - figured I would check in while I wait to hear back. So jealous of you early departure guys... and congratulations, by the way! Hopefully there's some good news coming for the rest of us, too :P

CherryChieri
March 16th, 2016, 20:30
Been talking to my predecessor, seems like a pretty awesome dude! I'm SO itching to get into my apartment! Sea views!!! I've always lived near the ocean so this is such a major plus for me!

Bit worried that most of my schools are elementary. I'm not surprised, but I was hoping more middle school since I don't have a tonne of experience with the littlies, but at least it should be fun!

Spoke to Junko about flights today as well. Everything seems so much more real than yesterday...

Gizmotech
March 16th, 2016, 21:11
Your predecessor? I thought you were doing early arrival in higashine?

CherryChieri
March 17th, 2016, 05:44
Early arrival in Ehime :)

Kishkash
March 17th, 2016, 09:31
Arumisan: He hasn't contacted me either. Must be pretty busy. Thank goodness for Christy though. I feel so dodgy bringing over all that money in cash though. Then again, I guess it'll go pretty quickly after paying for apartment stuff and mobile plan.
Spoke to Junko about flights. We're only allowed 1 check in :O
Darn you Qantas!

Kishkash
March 17th, 2016, 09:42
http://jetprogramme.org/wp-content/themes/biz-vektor/pdf/publications/gih2016_e.pdf
Link to the General Information Handbook for 2016 JETs if anyone if interested :)
April arrivals get a proper orientation this year :D

Gizmotech
March 17th, 2016, 20:19
What do you mean proper orientation?

Kishkash
March 17th, 2016, 20:53
There'll be a two day orientation for April arrivals this year. In the past they haven't done one except for last year where they trialled a one day orientation. I'm glad they changed it so we can get the same experience as July/August arrivals

Frap
March 17th, 2016, 21:27
I'm glad they changed it so we can get the same experience as July/August arrivals

You won't be saying that at the end of the two days.

acpc2203
March 17th, 2016, 21:44
You won't be saying that at the end of the two days.
yeah the second day of tokyo orientation is in the top 5 of worst days of my life

mothy
March 17th, 2016, 22:02
That's the day I realised it all was bullshit and snuck out and had a great time.

arumisan
March 17th, 2016, 22:11
Your comments about the orientation are making me nervous :'(

Arumisan: He hasn't contacted me either. Must be pretty busy. Thank goodness for Christy though. I feel so dodgy bringing over all that money in cash though. Then again, I guess it'll go pretty quickly after paying for apartment stuff and mobile plan.
Spoke to Junko about flights. We're only allowed 1 check in :O
Darn you Qantas!

Yeah, was talking to my consulate guy too (ended up typing that in the Google docs thing so I'm gonna take that out now :P )

And yeah, not looking forward to bringing that much money - actually I'm thinking of just doing a 60/40 where the 40 is going to be on my card (and basically withdraw as necessary). Not sure if that's a good idea, but considering we can get a bunch of the bigger stuff of Amazon etc. which does accept my cards - I'm really torn.

And I've been looking at mobile plans too - there's a lot of sim only plans out there, but I'm not sure if we'll get support if we want to go for those (especially since the data plans with the big 3 looks astronomical!)

webstaa
March 18th, 2016, 08:22
Your comments about the orientation are making me nervous :'(

Basically it boils down to this: There's a decent amount of information and instructions, 98% of which could fit on a single page of paper. The rest of it is mostly stuff you'll hear over, and over, and over - and probably would have already hear once or twice if you've traveled abroad before. It's just like any business seminar for young professionals - 90% boring and 8% worthwhile interaction and 2% being lucky if you don't have to pay for it.

mrcharisma
March 18th, 2016, 08:42
yeah the second day of tokyo orientation is in the top 5 of worst days of my life

Most boring maybe but worst? I found it all quite inoffensive bar the self-congratulatory speeches from the resume padders and AJET crooks. There was a cringetastic "workshop" about using pop culture in class that was so awful it was good.

Got to enjoy an earthquake too.

Frap
March 18th, 2016, 08:56
Yeah - It baffles me how someone thinks they aren't a douchebag when they volunteer to talk about themselves for 30 minutes in front of 1,000 people who don't give a SHIT.

acpc2203
March 18th, 2016, 11:35
I had a horrific hangover in addition to no sleep. Actually went to one workshop for some reason before bailing.

arumisan
March 18th, 2016, 12:24
Basically it boils down to this: There's a decent amount of information and instructions, 98% of which could fit on a single page of paper. The rest of it is mostly stuff you'll hear over, and over, and over - and probably would have already hear once or twice if you've traveled abroad before. It's just like any business seminar for young professionals - 90% boring and 8% worthwhile interaction and 2% being lucky if you don't have to pay for it.

Well that sounds how I expected it to be. Thanks for the info!

In other news, Sydney people, we have a pre-depature orientation at the end of this month (though the consulate guy already told me about it). Already RSVP'd so looking forward to meeting you guys (I don't know who from Sydney is doing the early departure though).

timtam
March 18th, 2016, 23:05
Long time lurker here, a week or so ago I was offered Early Departure. It's been so busy recently, but I'm so excited to be going in April. I look forward to meeting the Sydney people at the pre-departure orientation and all the other Early Departure guys at Tokyo!

Kind of curious to see how many people from Australia were offered Early Departures.

arumisan
March 19th, 2016, 08:33
Long time lurker here, a week or so ago I was offered Early Departure. It's been so busy recently, but I'm so excited to be going in April. I look forward to meeting the Sydney people at the pre-departure orientation and all the other Early Departure guys at Tokyo!

Kind of curious to see how many people from Australia were offered Early Departures.

Look forward to meeting you timtam at the pre-orientation! Where are you placed?

timtam
March 19th, 2016, 09:55
Look forward to meeting you timtam at the pre-orientation! Where are you placed?

I'm placed in Hyogo-ken. It was my third preference, so I'm definitely happy with it!

arumisan
March 19th, 2016, 18:33
Congrats! Hyogo-ken looks like an amazing place to be!

Wakuwaku
March 19th, 2016, 22:25
So I took the international school job. Better on a resume because I'm a teacher etc etc. Have a fantastic time in Japan. I loved my time as an ALT the first time I went. If you guys need any tips or lesson ideas feel free to hit me up. I definitely recommend cube it if you are shipping stuff. I sent over 40kg of stuff (mostly teaching things) without any issues.

Good on luck and enjoy Japan!

mothy
March 19th, 2016, 23:14
What? A JET applicant who thinks of the future? Something doesn't seem right here.

Gizmotech
March 20th, 2016, 09:52
So I took the international school job. Better on a resume because I'm a teacher etc etc. Have a fantastic time in Japan. I loved my time as an ALT the first time I went. If you guys need any tips or lesson ideas feel free to hit me up. I definitely recommend cube it if you are shipping stuff. I sent over 40kg of stuff (mostly teaching things) without any issues.

Good on luck and enjoy Japan!

This woulda been round two for ya on JET? if so, you made the right choice.

GodInStrafeMode
March 22nd, 2016, 09:01
you made the right choice.

Pup
March 22nd, 2016, 09:42
Hi guys,

First off, congrats to all of you for getting into the JET programme and the early departures.
Second, sorry I haven't been checking the forum as much lately. I've been a bit busy lately at work (surprising, I know.)

Anyway, this is my experience as a regular Group A departure JET (Late July) but when I became a JET all the people in the same group as me in Australia flew over to Sydney first (minus Perth I believe) and then from there straight to Tokyo. We all flew on Qantas with 28kg of checked in baggage. All of this was basically spoon fed to us and as someone posted earlier in the thread CubeIT is a good way to get excess luggage to Japan.

I'd recommend exchanging $2000 to $3000 dollars for start up fees. Some people say that they got off on $1000 and I'd say sure, you can if you wanna live like a hobo. When you get to your placement you honestly will have very little idea what your situation will be. Will you have furniture? Will you need to pay a bond? Will you be subsidised? Your bank account will be made in the first few days however, your bank card, important because you need it to take money out, won't come for a week or so. This is in addition to your first pay check being a whole month later.

So if you want to go to Japan, enjoy your Tokyo orientation and go out for a few days and wander your new placement and drink with your new co-workers. I'd HIGHLY recommend bringing a large amount of moolah with you. Obviously you can bring more but $2000-$3000 is around the sweet spot I feel.

P.S. Orientation is ALL suit. Don't be that one girl who dressed up like a hippy.

nicolejp
March 30th, 2016, 11:36
I got shortlisted! :D

GodInStrafeMode
March 30th, 2016, 11:43
Booyah!

AreAmEye
March 30th, 2016, 11:51
cool!
Which consulate did you interview at (if you don't mind sharing)?

thecatalyst
March 30th, 2016, 11:59
Congrats, nicolejpn! After not thinking about my results for days and days, the wait is suddenly unbearable now that everyone is getting theirs. Hoping Sydney will announce soon.

CherryChieri
March 30th, 2016, 12:17
Congrats!

Fingers crossed that everyone else has good news soon too!

arumisan
March 30th, 2016, 13:25
Congrats nicolejpn! I hope, to those still wanting for their results, that you get the results you want!

And @AreAmEye, I think she's with the Melbourne consulate based on her posting history - could be wrong.

combjelly
March 30th, 2016, 13:58
Hello! Long-time lurker but the agony of waiting has pushed me to finally post! Congratulations to everyone who has received good news! Any Perth folk out there? Sounds like it's just Melbourne that are getting results so far..

AreAmEye
March 30th, 2016, 14:05
ahh, thanks.

timtam
March 30th, 2016, 18:11
Congrats nicolejp!

Hope everyone else in the other states gets good results soon!

nicolejp
March 31st, 2016, 08:40
cool!
Which consulate did you interview at (if you don't mind sharing)?

arumisan is right, I interviewed at Melbourne! :)

Would have thought all the results came out at the same time, though! Hopefully you'll get some good news soon!