PDA

View Full Version : Letter of Recommendation Question

fryfry
October 14th, 2015, 04:58
Long question short: Would a letter of recommendation from my company's president be better for JET than a letter from a co-worker who knows me a lot better?

I originally asked two people to do my letters of recommendation: my immediate manager at work, and my work's company president. The manager agreed and can speak to my professional qualities as well as my personal ones and interest in Japan. The company president initially agreed, then said that since he could only speak to my professional qualities (we're not best buds, or anything) he probably wouldn't be a good choice to write a letter like this.

I partially agree with him. He would be great for, and is willing to write, just a normal, work recommendation letter for JET. However, I have an alternative, which is to use a recommendation letter from another co-worker, one who knows me a lot better as a person but is my junior in company years and age. (he's mid 20's, I'm 30.) He also wants to do it. Should I use a letter of recommendation from him, or from the company president?

Frap
October 14th, 2015, 08:29
You don't have to have an academic one?

Virgil
October 14th, 2015, 08:35
I would go for the president if he's willing to write one for you. A letter speaking to your professional qualities is exactly what you want.

That is, if those professional qualities are good.

Jiggit
October 14th, 2015, 08:39
Unless your coworker is someone who works "above" you I'd say the President is better too.

fryfry
October 14th, 2015, 08:41
jetprogramusa.org states that references "must be academic or professional." This works out great for me, as all of my professors I have been out of touch with for a veeerry long time, and they don't know me that well anymore. :) Obviously I would prefer one to be academic if that weren't the case.

fryfry
October 14th, 2015, 08:54
I appreciate your input. I like to think they are good... He's not always around, but he's had opportunity to witness a pretty strong work ethic on my part, and dedication to customer service. Problem is I don't think he knows much else about me. :/

Still, I've decided to ask him to write me a physical letter, just to cover that base.

Jiggit
October 14th, 2015, 10:23
Calm your tits, we're getting to them.

fryfry
October 14th, 2015, 11:12
Thank you, tits are calm.

Pup
October 19th, 2015, 08:08
Also think of it this way: is it more impressive to see a letter written by a president or a employee?

fryfry
October 21st, 2015, 00:24
Thank you. I did end up getting it from the Pres. I thought about it and realized that the co-worker reference letter was definitely something that I wanted more than JET probably did. xP
Also I've gotta say this is an awesome site. On every page there seems to be a wealth of knowledge from current/former JETs, and that helps a lot.