PDA

View Full Version : Class debate topic

Jiggit
October 14th, 2015, 10:59
Having difficulty thinking up good topics for my HS kids to "debate". Any ideas? I'm looking for something relatively easy to understand that they can all have some opinion about, but that's a little more thought provoking than "should students wear school uniform?"

Frap
October 14th, 2015, 11:19
Is learning English useful?

mothy
October 14th, 2015, 11:19
I don't know where the school is located, so I don't know if they actually have options, but when I had my students debate which of two nearby stations was their favorite, it worked well. Also, kind of the same idea, but which place is best for a school trip worked, but was a little harder for my lower level students.

It requires a bit more skill and effort by the students, but I once had success giving them the choice between the US and Australia as a study abroad destination. If your students are a good level for it you might enjoy hearing "US is danger country" over and over again.

Jiggit
October 14th, 2015, 11:24
Is learning English useful?

Not bad, but I think that came up in one of their tests already...

I don't know where the school is located, so I don't know if they actually have options, but when I had my students debate which of two nearby stations was their favorite, it worked well. Also, kind of the same idea, but which place is best for a school trip worked, but was a little harder for my lower level students.

It requires a bit more skill and effort by the students, but I once had success giving them the choice between the US and Australia as a study abroad destination. If your students are a good level for it you might enjoy hearing "US is danger country" over and over again.

Good ideas, thanks. They're academic, so not too bad, but there's a core of staunch non-participators. I was almost looking for something a tad more confrontational, though all of those would work fine too.

mothy
October 14th, 2015, 11:34
The government is discussing changing age of adulthood to 18. Might be able to make that into a debate topic.

Frap
October 14th, 2015, 11:55
Should the Sea of Japan be renamed?

uthinkimlost?
October 14th, 2015, 12:07
Should the Sea of Japan be renamed?

jiggit would be made a pariah at even the thought!

Frap
October 14th, 2015, 12:15
Should Japan's male-only succession tradition be changed to allow female rulers?

Jiggit
October 14th, 2015, 12:33
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-g9lKTsAiQNY/Twjv3kW4aJI/AAAAAAAAAVw/xHcM6UywbJ4/s320/snsd_jessica_9gag.jpg

Zolrak 22
October 14th, 2015, 13:40
They seem pretty invested in sports and clubs, why not have something along the lines of which sport/hobby is the best?

uthinkimlost?
October 14th, 2015, 13:43
They seem pretty invested in sports and clubs, why not have something along the lines of which sport/hobby is the best?

You'd have to be a masochist to willingly subject yourself to that. You'll understand when you experience besuboru karucha firsthand.

mothy
October 14th, 2015, 13:50
My like sport is soccer. I like soccer. I play soccer. I am exciting. Because soccer is fun.

uthinkimlost?
October 14th, 2015, 13:52
My like sport is soccer. I like soccer. I play soccer. I am exciting. Because soccer is fun.

Do you want play soccer?

Let's play soccer with me!

Virgil
October 14th, 2015, 15:12

Your students are profoundly talented.

uthinkimlost?
October 14th, 2015, 15:14
Mothy is an irl Onizuka Sensei. He holds grammar lessons in kabukicho.

Gizmotech
October 15th, 2015, 06:23
It's depressing how accurate mothys answer is.

Never bring sports into a debate.

Here's a Q

"Does Japan have a National Sport that everyone likes?"

Ebi
October 18th, 2015, 08:28
I only teach JHS, but I got some interesting responses when I gave students a handful of topics to choose from: Tokyo Disney Land vs Tokyo Disney Sea, be allowed to bring phones to school vs no phones, and subtitled movies vs dubbed.

You can probably do more since they're high schoolers, but I was encouraged to pic "fluff" topics because Japan.

Jiggit
October 18th, 2015, 10:11
You can probably do more since they're high schoolers, but I was encouraged to pic "fluff" topics because Japan.

Yeah my JTEs are saying the same thing. It's that thing where anything they haven't thought about before is "difficult" and that means it's impossible. Kids have the same attitude of course, even if they can do something and have demonstrated that they can in the past they still break out in a peal of "difficult" when you start talking about something they don't recognise.

It's frustrating because they also get bored with the simple stuff.

Ini
October 18th, 2015, 11:32
talk to their japanese teacher and see if they have done any debates recently in that class. then just set the same topic. That way they will have already thought about their answers and they just need to translate it.

webstaa
October 20th, 2015, 08:22
One that came up again recently is plastic bags. It's in New Horizon, but England just rolled out their 5p plastic bag charge thing, so it adds more international flavor if you center it around that.

Jiggit
October 21st, 2015, 13:48

I offered my JTE about 5 choices and she chose this one. Thanks for the lesson of "US is danger, Oostoraria have koala".

mothy
October 21st, 2015, 16:04
It never gets old.

Jiggit
October 21st, 2015, 16:13
3rd grade class seem much more interested in the age of adulthood question, though according to one of them it's already been decided? I can't find anything in the news about it. Anyone heard this?

acpc2203
October 21st, 2015, 16:14
Do they know that all the wildlife in Australia is out to kill you?

Zolrak 22
October 22nd, 2015, 04:50
Find out more at 11?

Jiggit
October 22nd, 2015, 08:21
I think they know is animal is cute.

uthinkimlost?
October 22nd, 2015, 08:24
Do they know female koalas never willingly participate in copulation? That they shout, 'iyada,' in Koala?

Jiggit
October 22nd, 2015, 09:41
Ah, so animal is very cute?

alee50
December 22nd, 2015, 20:50
I try to make debate simple and understandable. Something relating to their school life and interests. Such as school lunch vs. obento. Their culture is different from ours because for example, if their school decides to have school lunch that effect nearly every student! Meaning either school lunch ONLY or mother's obento ONLY. Not half and half... Other topics would be their clubs, school festivals, and so on.

Jiggit
December 23rd, 2015, 02:21
Thanks for sharing that, alee50!

mothy
December 23rd, 2015, 23:52
Lol

Jiggit
January 18th, 2016, 16:13
I'm back, and this time I'm looking for a REAL LIFE ISSUE, so I'm going to have them debate and write about a recent news article, including some of the curated comments.

Anything interesting but not too challenging?

Gizmotech
January 18th, 2016, 19:10
The exodus of old representatives from the ldp in recent weeks.

The global tanking of oil and its minimal impact on Japan vs the rest of the world.

Marrying for money?

Zolrak 22
January 24th, 2016, 12:20
Marrying for money?

I'd love to see this one.

Money vs love?

mothy
January 24th, 2016, 18:53
After 10 years, I vote go for money.

Zolrak 22
January 25th, 2016, 19:10
After 10 years, I vote go for money.
Would you stay with them, nurture the investment?

Or would you spend it all/ make it disappear and then later file for a divorce?

Perhaps you'd go for the death of "natural" causes?

I forget this isn't the lounge. [emoji28]

naginataonthebrain
January 25th, 2016, 19:36
Court rules pop idol has right to pursue happiness, can date | The Japan Times (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/01/19/national/pop-idol-right-pursue-happiness-not-liable-damages-breach-dating-ban-court/#.VqX7EVN97-Y)

Maybe this?

Gizmotech
January 25th, 2016, 20:04
Ya, I agree with the comments, this ruling means jack squat. They'll just find another way to fire em, ala becky