PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring UK JETs 2016

haitch40
October 17th, 2015, 01:37
Since the UK application is now open. I thought I would start a thread for it.

Frap
October 17th, 2015, 14:45
On the 17th?! Earlier than last year!

haitch40
October 17th, 2015, 17:38
On the 17th?! Earlier than last year!
16th. With a close of the 27th next month.

haitch40
October 25th, 2015, 02:00
I guess the UK is devoid of JETs this year. I would have thought someone would have said something by now.

Zolrak 22
October 25th, 2015, 04:45
http://youtu.be/NGrLb6W5YOM

They are all in reddit/Facebook I imagine.

That reminds me, if I ever was to be accepted (doubtful [emoji14]) I gotta start promoting the program, basically no one in PR knows about it, cause they don't bother making presentations in our universities.

Ananasboat
October 25th, 2015, 17:44
If you get an interview, tell them that after you've done jet you'll want to tell people in your area about that. They love hearing that.

haitch40
October 25th, 2015, 21:31
http://youtu.be/NGrLb6W5YOM

They are all in reddit/Facebook I imagine.

I only found 3 in the FB group.

thatitguy
October 26th, 2015, 06:33
I've been lurking for a while. Almost finished my application but had a stupid question, Some of the fields that are required but not applicable can't be left blanked or else it won't let me save. I've put in N/A in those fields, e.g. The "Classroom Teaching" section. Is this right or am I suppose to do something else? Appreciate the help :)

haitch40
October 26th, 2015, 08:18
I've been lurking for a while. Almost finished my application but had a stupid question, Some of the fields that are required but not applicable can't be left blanked or else it won't let me save. I've put in N/A in those fields, e.g. The "Classroom Teaching" section. Is this right or am I suppose to do something else? Appreciate the help :)
I put N/A and then set any start and end dates to the date I submitted it.

sheonamacaulay
October 28th, 2015, 06:59
Hello, I'm also a UK applicant this year (Scotland) - how are you guys getting on with the application?

Starks
October 28th, 2015, 19:14
Hello, half way through my application now... Just got to make sure my personal statement is up to scratch.

CastleMilo
October 31st, 2015, 02:40
Hello folks, for question 17 (regarding international experience) did people put 300 words or 300 characters? The form says "characters" but the instructions ask for 'all your experiences and situations you have encountered' which is rather difficult to fit into 300 characters.

Zolrak 22
October 31st, 2015, 14:04
It's characters.

They want this year's app to be brief and to the point.

KarateKitten
October 31st, 2015, 20:29
Applicant here. Not fancying my chances too much, because I only found myself in a position to apply recently, so I'm so far behind where I should be in terms of preparation. I had looked at the JET programme a few years ago, and really liked the idea but thought I wouldn't have been able to apply. But such is life. I'm applying now. So, hi. :D

niconicotrash
November 2nd, 2015, 06:11
New Applicant here. I've got most of the material together now, I'm just filling out the application itself.

For the Honours, Awards, Scholarships, etc. question, what kind of things are they expecting to hear about? The problem is, I can't think of anything that I've gained in recent years (11 years ago is the most recent thing and even then it was a UK Junior Maths Challenge Award), or anything relevant. I'm fresh out of university and I was a pretty average child at school; didn't really stand out for better or for worse so I'm really perplexed as to what I should put. I don't really want to just write N/A and leave it.

haitch40
November 2nd, 2015, 08:18
New Applicant here. I've got most of the material together now, I'm just filling out the application itself.

For the Honours, Awards, Scholarships, etc. question, what kind of things are they expecting to hear about? The problem is, I can't think of anything that I've gained in recent years (11 years ago is the most recent thing and even then it was a UK Junior Maths Challenge Award), or anything relevant. I'm fresh out of university and I was a pretty average child at school; didn't really stand out for better or for worse so I'm really perplexed as to what I should put. I don't really want to just write N/A and leave it.
I just put my Duke of Edinburgh award down there.

Have you seriously not got anything noteworthy of? Maybe you did something at uni?

Zolrak 22
November 2nd, 2015, 08:22
In the US one we are expected to add any awards achieved in college or afterwards. (Not from school)

I imagine the UK one is the same, any grants you've achieved?

Ever been part of a club and given a position?

Any recognition for good grades or community service?

Something like that.

haitch40
November 2nd, 2015, 08:27
In the US one we are expected to add any awards achieved in college or afterwards. (Not from school)

I imagine the UK one is the same, any grants you've achieved?

Ever been part of a club and given a position?

Any recognition for good grades or community service?

Something like that.
I don't remember it saying anything about when. Just anything that you would put on your CV other than your degree etc.

niconicotrash
November 2nd, 2015, 08:31
Thanks for the help! I was just a little worried as I haven't really done anything of note in a few years, I wondered if my high school years were really worth mentioning or not .

Virgil
November 2nd, 2015, 10:37
Yeah I actually got grilled on why I didn't have major club involvement during university. I told them it was because I was completely involved in practice and performance, which was true. They didn't seem to like that much. Put ANYTHING you did, and be prepared to explain why there isn't more.

haitch40
November 2nd, 2015, 10:49
Should I mention the political canvassing I have done? Or should I not mention politics at all?

mrcharisma
November 2nd, 2015, 11:25
Everyone's doing a stellar job of avoiding the elephant in the room here aren't they?

Frap
November 2nd, 2015, 11:56
Everyone's doing a stellar job of avoiding the elephant in the room here aren't they?

Lol!

Zolrak 22
November 2nd, 2015, 12:39
Should I mention the political canvassing I have done? Or should I not mention politics at all?
It's an interesting idea, but it could certainly backfire on you.

I know I didn't add any of my political experiences and activities for that very same reason. On the other hand, it could look like you are into social sciences, into the government and etc, which is a plus.

Eh, I figure we'll get there when there's a place to discuss it.

flight
November 3rd, 2015, 21:06
Hey lurker here sorry. Applying is scary :( for the letter of reference, I've got one from my past tutor/head of year for my main uni course, one from teacher of uni Japanese module I took last year, and one from the instructor for the celta course I'm currently taking. I'm still an undergraduate, which one do I chose? Does the celta count as an academic reference? I'm thinking it doesn't..

and what is it that we're avoiding talking about?

CastleMilo
November 4th, 2015, 01:24
Well from my Sherlock Holmesesque detective ability, there appears to be an elephant in a room. I wonder how it got there? More importantly how does one remove an elephant from said room.

My pathetic attempt at humour aside...Flight: they all sound like fine references. If the Celta Course is at uni, it would count as an academic reference (if its extracurricular it may not). Its just a case of who you're most comfortable with to represent your ability.

I just dropped my documents to the Japanese Embassy in Green Park. Highly anti-climatic, chap behind the reception counter just nodded and took the envelope....that was it, said nothing.

Zolrak 22
November 4th, 2015, 05:05
It looks good on your application if at least one of your references is from a professor.

haitch40
November 5th, 2015, 06:04
Well from my Sherlock Holmesesque detective ability, there appears to be an elephant in a room. I wonder how it got there? More importantly how does one remove an elephant from said room.

My pathetic attempt at humour aside...Flight: they all sound like fine references. If the Celta Course is at uni, it would count as an academic reference (if its extracurricular it may not). Its just a case of who you're most comfortable with to represent your ability.

I just dropped my documents to the Japanese Embassy in Green Park. Highly anti-climatic, chap behind the reception counter just nodded and took the envelope....that was it, said nothing.
Well what did you expect? Them to make a huge party of how you had handed in your application?

CastleMilo
November 5th, 2015, 07:18
Well what did you expect? Them to make a huge party of how you had handed in your application?

Haha I guess not. I'd previously though they handed a receipt of some kind.

flight
November 6th, 2015, 00:06
thanks for the advice CastleMilo and Zolrak 22.
Also random but, just submitted my online form, if my application ID was 33 (it isn't, but not far off), does that mean I'm the 33rd applicant?

haitch40
November 6th, 2015, 05:57
thanks for the advice CastleMilo and Zolrak 22.
Also random but, just submitted my online form, if my application ID was 33 (it isn't, but not far off), does that mean I'm the 33rd applicant?
I was wondering this too.

daisychain
November 6th, 2015, 08:42

I believe so - I applied early last year and was in the 100's, someone else I know applied later and theirs was around the 1000 mark.

Come on UK peeps!! Get out here, spread the UK love xD

Ini
November 6th, 2015, 08:55
if there are only 33 applicants then your chances of getting in are looking pretty good

haitch40
November 6th, 2015, 10:11
My number was really low. I did that a week after it opened as well.

Zolrak 22
November 6th, 2015, 13:45
if there are only 33 applicants then your chances of getting in are looking pretty good
They are probably waiting till the last minute.

niconicotrash
November 6th, 2015, 21:06
I submitted mine just after midnight on the 2nd and my application ID was 159 so I'm not 100% sure.

flight
November 7th, 2015, 02:35
I submitted mine just after midnight on the 2nd and my application ID was 159 so I'm not 100% sure.

Was that for this year or last year? Cos if that was this year their ID number allocation is a bit random..

flight
November 7th, 2015, 03:21
aaaaaa :( I spell checked, grammar checked, went through everything a million times before I submitted. but I just noticed a typo! I put Duke of Edingurgh's Award.... Is that something that definitely needs changing? I would write to the jet desk, but I've already asked them a few things, they're going to think I can't do anything alone...

haitch40
November 7th, 2015, 08:29
aaaaaa :( I spell checked, grammar checked, went through everything a million times before I submitted. but I just noticed a typo! I put Duke of Edingurgh's Award.... Is that something that definitely needs changing? I would write to the jet desk, but I've already asked them a few things, they're going to think I can't do anything alone...
Email the JET desk and they will reopen the app I think.

Starks
November 8th, 2015, 06:10
I submitted my application on the 22nd, my application ID was 31... It seems likely that it is the amount of applicants...

I noticed after I submitted mine that I had made a few minor mistakes, I emailed them about it and they re-opened my application. Their only comment was just that they can't re-open it after the deadline, you can only change your contact details after the deadline.

Gizmotech
November 8th, 2015, 22:06
The uk doesn't have tons of applicants guys, but it also doesn't have tons of open spaces annually either.

haitch40
November 9th, 2015, 00:05
The uk doesn't have tons of applicants guys, but it also doesn't have tons of open spaces annually either.
I heard that we get roughly 1000 applicants. About 200 get the job.

thatitguy
November 9th, 2015, 02:37
I heard that we get roughly 1000 applicants. About 200 get the job.

2 out of 10 doesn't sound too bad, I previously thought it was 100 out of 1000 applicants who get the job.

mrcharisma
November 9th, 2015, 06:32
Compared to an entry-level grad job in something like marketing or finance when it's closer to 1 job per 200 applicants, JET is a pretty decent throw of the dice.

haitch40
November 9th, 2015, 06:49
Compared to an entry-level grad job in something like marketing or finance when it's closer to 1 job per 200 applicants, JET is a pretty decent throw of the dice.
Especially so if the unusually low numbers are to be believed.

webstaa
November 9th, 2015, 08:17
Especially so if the unusually low numbers are to be believed.

Exchange rate is probably scaring a lot of people off. 185 yen to the pound isn't very attractive.

Ini
November 9th, 2015, 08:36
true, unless your degree was in philosophy or women's studies the salary for JET is hardly attractive....

Gizmotech
November 9th, 2015, 14:00
Exchange rate is probably scaring a lot of people off. 185 yen to the pound isn't very attractive.

true, unless your degree was in philosophy or women's studies the salary for JET is hardly attractive....

This was basically what I was getting at. JET does not pay competitively at all for a UK starting grad. Especially if they have debt back home to deal with. Non-Europe is more competitive, but if you have a decently employable degree you might as well join the work force rather than JET and earn better money.

mrcharisma
November 9th, 2015, 18:10
This was basically what I was getting at. JET does not pay competitively at all for a UK starting grad. Especially if they have debt back home to deal with. Non-Europe is more competitive, but if you have a decently employable degree you might as well join the work force rather than JET and earn better money.

JET salary is usually around 26man a month in your pocket or £1400. Fully-qualified teachers in the UK get less than that for the first couple of years. The pension refund "bonus" at the end of JET adds another little bit extra.

Student debt isn't a big problem either as on JET salary you have to pay back practically nothing.

Add to that everything in the UK costing much more than Japan (especially accommodation) and I'd honestly say JET is a better deal than it gets credit for.

flight
November 10th, 2015, 02:29

Or Art... As an Art student the salary looks very very nice to me :)

thatitguy
November 10th, 2015, 02:57
I wonder if the salary is good enough for the folks in urban areas. I assume they won't be able to save any money due to the higher living costs.

weepinbell
November 10th, 2015, 08:36
I wonder if the salary is good enough for the folks in urban areas. I assume they won't be able to save any money due to the higher living costs.

I'm urban. Rent is less than 4 man, free utilities including wifi (2nd part will sadly change soon....). The thing that really eats my paycheck is pension and health insurance. Pension is about 2.5 man (which yeah I'll get some back later), health is about 1.5 man for me. So there's a solid 8 man out of my paycheck. However, I've still been saving 10 man/month so far. It's not difficult to save if you're not spending out your ass. And that's with paying for my cell, groceries, etc... I still eat out ~2x/week, drink a couple times/week, have taken a vacation, and travel into the nearby cities a lot.

Idk where the hell these guys live that they're pocketing 26 man/month.... probably because they're not first year JETs (so bit better salary) and more rural. On your first year you get 28 man/month before anything is taken out. So I'd expect pocketing between 20 man (urban) - 24 man (super rural) in that first year.

Virgil
November 10th, 2015, 08:36
Yeah it's really a matter of perspective and situation. Teaching in the US I was making about $7000 USD more a year - but the cost of living was so much higher, I had less spending power every month. I live fairly close to a large city too.

Ini
November 10th, 2015, 08:56
but that just means JET is attracting people who want to be teachers. In the old days it attracted a wider range of people looking for a working holiday before starting their real jobs. If you are looking at a starting salary of 40kGBP or going on jet most people will give up on the whole JET thing given the current salary situation.

Jiggit
November 10th, 2015, 09:42
but that just means JET is attracting people who want to be teachers. In the old days it attracted a wider range of people looking for a working holiday before starting their real jobs. If you are looking at a starting salary of 40kGBP or going on jet most people will give up on the whole JET thing given the current salary situation.

Exactly. When you lower the salary that much you restrict your applicants to those who have no better options or who are some kind of Japanophile that doesn't care about the salary.

webstaa
November 10th, 2015, 12:16
Idk where the hell these guys live that they're pocketing 26 man/month.... probably because they're not first year JETs (so bit better salary) and more rural. On your first year you get 28 man/month before anything is taken out. So I'd expect pocketing between 20 man (urban) - 24 man (super rural) in that first year.

I put away around 20 man a month in my second year - and that was with a lot of frivolous spending. US tax incentives, no hefty student loan burden, and a very nice set of benefits, including rent subsidy. If you aren't eating out every night, buying tons of stuff, or going to the doctor once or twice am month, you can expect to put away a good bit of cash. (Whether or not it's worth it to save yen right now if you're planning on leaving the country is another matter. The yen has a lot more purchasing power than the GBP because of the difference in tax schemes, (a la VAT) so spending instead of taking a lump of savings with you (if you can afford it) could be better - especially if you'll need something like a new laptop etc shortly after going home.

Ini
November 10th, 2015, 12:35
define "frivolous spending"... I find it hard to believe you were living a fun filled lifestyle on 8man a month.

Edit:Could a mod maybe move some of these posts to a new thread? I cant help but feel we are getting a bit off topic.....

haitch40
November 10th, 2015, 12:57
I put away around 20 man a month in my second year - and that was with a lot of frivolous spending. US tax incentives, no hefty student loan burden, and a very nice set of benefits, including rent subsidy. If you aren't eating out every night, buying tons of stuff, or going to the doctor once or twice am month, you can expect to put away a good bit of cash. (Whether or not it's worth it to save yen right now if you're planning on leaving the country is another matter. The yen has a lot more purchasing power than the GBP because of the difference in tax schemes, (a la VAT) so spending instead of taking a lump of savings with you (if you can afford it) could be better - especially if you'll need something like a new laptop etc shortly after going home.
So invest in stock before coming home? Although I know little about the stock market so that would likely go badly.

I agree with Ini. Word you have been summoned.

Jiggit
November 10th, 2015, 15:43
If only the last active mod had been more level-headed, he might still be around. Alas.

Zolrak 22
November 10th, 2015, 19:18
If only the last active mod had been more level-headed, he might still be around. Alas.
Man, he's greatly missed.

He should have been a more active part of the community.

thatitguy
November 10th, 2015, 20:18
Anyone finished their application packs or close to it? I'm miles off at the moment. I've asked one of my professors to write me a reference and he agreed 2 weeks ago but still hasn't replied with it :S

Anyone done the whole asking a GP to fill in a Statement of Physician form? How long did it take?

haitch40
November 10th, 2015, 21:07
Anyone finished their application packs or close to it? I'm miles off at the moment. I've asked one of my professors to write me a reference and he agreed 2 weeks ago but still hasn't replied with it :S

Anyone done the whole asking a GP to fill in a Statement of Physician form? How long did it take?
I just have my GP form to wait for. Well and 1 reference but that is secure.

They took a week and a half and did it wrong so I had to send it back.

thatitguy
November 10th, 2015, 21:25
I just have my GP form to wait for. Well and 1 reference but that is secure.

They took a week and a half and did it wrong so I had to send it back.

The GP form took week and a half? wow I expected that to be instant when you book an appointment with the GP and have them fill it out there and then, unless I'm thinking about it the wrong way.

haitch40
November 10th, 2015, 21:42
The GP form took week and a half? wow I expected that to be instant when you book an appointment with the GP and have them fill it out there and then, unless I'm thinking about it the wrong way.
Didn't get to see the GP. The reception staff took it and then gave it to the doctor.
They needed chasing once as well.

Also remember that this isn't usually on the NHS. They charge.

Jiggit
November 10th, 2015, 21:56
Last I heard he was hepped up on goofballs.

thatitguy
November 10th, 2015, 22:21
Didn't get to see the GP. The reception staff took it and then gave it to the doctor.
They needed chasing once as well.

Also remember that this isn't usually on the NHS. They charge.

I don't mind paying for it as long as it was faster than a week.

Starks
November 11th, 2015, 01:11
I don't mind paying for it as long as it was faster than a week.
I handed mine into my doctors last week Monday. Haven't hear back from them yet apart from it might cost up to £42 or something like that...

Ini
November 11th, 2015, 13:04
Seems cheap. Is that with a chest X-ray or don't you have to do that anymore?

Frap
November 11th, 2015, 13:31
The doctor didn't charge me for filling in my form but I had to go private for the x-ray which cost 145 GBP.

Jiggit
November 11th, 2015, 13:35
The doctor didn't charge me for filling in my form but I had to go private for the x-ray which cost 145 GBP.

Ditto. I think I paid over 200 quid though.

haitch40
November 11th, 2015, 21:26
Seems cheap. Is that with a chest X-ray or don't you have to do that anymore?
That is just the pre departure stuff once accepted isn't it?

I just got mine to fill in the form. Cost me £13. Unless they charge me extra for sending it back.

flight
November 12th, 2015, 00:34
I had to pay £27 for them to sign mine, only took them 4 days though. They said it could take up to 10 working days though.

thatitguy
November 12th, 2015, 01:15
I'm going to go tomorrow. Any tips for getting this done swiftly? What did you guys tell them?

haitch40
November 12th, 2015, 01:49
I'm going to go tomorrow. Any tips for getting this done swiftly? What did you guys tell them?
I just handed over the form and at first asked to see the Dr. When that wasn't happening I just asked them to do what I had asked them to do in a letter I gave them with the medical form.

flight
November 12th, 2015, 02:44

Let reception know (nicely) you need it signed by a doctor for a job application, and that deadline is the end of the month. The receptionist at my medical centre was really nice and said that because it was for an application they would try and get it done as soon as possible. I also had the medical form section attached in case they needed to refer to it.

thatitguy
November 12th, 2015, 08:18
Alright, doesn't seem too hard. Hopefully I'll have no issues. Thanks guys.

webstaa
November 12th, 2015, 08:20

Ditto. I think I paid over 200 quid though.

O_o I'm from the land of expensive health care and I paid less than $50 for mine...

raxel
November 13th, 2015, 08:41
Handed mine into the Doctors today, got to phone back tomorrow to see what the charge is. If it's anything like the last time I needed my Doctor to fill a form out for me, I will likely have to chase up the receptionist a lot (I called and asked if it was ready and they told me it wasn't when in fact it had been sitting there for 2 days). Really all depends on the people in the surgery.

Starks
November 19th, 2015, 22:37
I handed mine in two weeks ago now and I only heard back because I called my doctors. Deadline is coming so quickly and I'm still missing my references and doctors statement.
Getting a little worried now.

raxel
November 19th, 2015, 23:20
Still not got back my medical form, the reception messed it up (like I knew they would) been in twice so far to try sort it out. Have an appointment with my doctor on Friday so hoping I can explain the situation and get her to fill it out on the day. It's the only thing I am now waiting on, hoping to post everything on Monday.

thatitguy
November 20th, 2015, 19:43
Still not got back my medical form, the reception messed it up (like I knew they would) been in twice so far to try sort it out. Have an appointment with my doctor on Friday so hoping I can explain the situation and get her to fill it out on the day. It's the only thing I am now waiting on, hoping to post everything on Monday.

Can you let us know how it goes with the doctor. I've been tempted to book an appointment but I was told filling in forms is not part of their NHS duties so I've been reluctant to do it :(

haitch40
November 20th, 2015, 21:23
Can you let us know how it goes with the doctor. I've been tempted to book an appointment but I was told filling in forms is not part of their NHS duties so I've been reluctant to do it :(
It isn't. All that means is you need to pay for it.

Also so much for everyone telling me that JET will reopen the online form after submission if you ask them within the time frame. JET emailed me to say they cannot.

raxel
November 20th, 2015, 22:19
Got my form today, went to my appointment and my doctor filled it out then and there.

As far as reopening the application, I made an error in the format of my date (day, month, year) instead of (year, month, day) in my medical form and emailed them. They told me I could not reopen the application to me, as others had mentioned, but they amended my application for me correcting the dates. I think it depends on the error.

Starks
November 21st, 2015, 01:23
Make sure to read the warning on the website! Probably going to have to hand deliver my application...

thatitguy
November 21st, 2015, 02:59
Make sure to read the warning on the website! Probably going to have to hand deliver my application...

That message got me so nervous. I will try and get mine mailed in Tuesday, latest, next week via next day delivery. Hopefully that should give it enough time to get there.

CastleMilo
November 21st, 2015, 07:11
Got my form today, went to my appointment and my doctor filled it out then and there.

As far as reopening the application, I made an error in the format of my date (day, month, year) instead of (year, month, day) in my medical form and emailed them. They told me I could not reopen the application to me, as others had mentioned, but they amended my application for me correcting the dates. I think it depends on the error.

That's interesting, I didn't think they'd make a big deal about date format on parts other than DOB where is specifies to use YYYYMMDD.
They say use the Anno Domini system but that only means use '2015' as the year rather than something obscure such as 'The year of the Sheep' (apologies to any Chinese observers)

haitch40
November 21st, 2015, 08:37
I am mailing mine Wednesday by special delivery. The best I can do without travelling 400 miles.

Zolrak 22
November 21st, 2015, 09:02
I am mailing mine Wednesday by special delivery. The best I can do without travelling 400 miles.
Where's your dedication, bud?

http://31.media.tumblr.com/be7cffcdeff546e0537f4fb95407f11a/tumblr_nlkh4cMEUC1qkiihxo2_500.gif

webstaa
November 24th, 2015, 08:44
Also so much for everyone telling me that JET will reopen the online form after submission if you ask them within the time frame. JET emailed me to say they cannot.

Ouch. That's probably an artifact of the majority of current JETs having to do paper applications. When I applied, I did the online portion... and then had to print out a copy and send it in anyway.

Starks
November 25th, 2015, 19:29
I'm having to do the travelling 400 miles... Still haven't got my medical form. Hopefully getting it today.

haitch40
November 26th, 2015, 05:30
I sent mine today.

Starks
November 26th, 2015, 22:33
Got my application in today (: now to wait.

Frap
November 27th, 2015, 08:28
the wait is the worst!

haitch40
November 27th, 2015, 08:48
the wait is the worst!
After my experience with the post today I doubt that.

Frap
November 27th, 2015, 08:50
After my experience with the post today I doubt that.

I'll ask you again in May.

haitch40
November 27th, 2015, 15:34
I'll ask you again in May.
Ask away. Nothing will beat the stress of being told your application can't be delivered.

Starks
November 29th, 2015, 07:34
Ask away. Nothing will beat the stress of being told your application can't be delivered.

Wait, so what happened?

haitch40
November 29th, 2015, 07:50
Wait, so what happened?
Sent it Wednesday special delivery. On Thursday they said it can't be delivered and the soonest they could redeliver was Monday. So I went back to uni after going to my mum's to sort everything out, got all my documents again and was planning on hand delivering the app on Friday. I also had a uni assignment due Friday.

Luckily it didn't come to that. I got home and it had been signed for.

Starks
December 3rd, 2015, 23:06
I feel like I should know this but when do UK applicants normally hear back? Is it near the end of January?

Frap
December 4th, 2015, 08:28
I feel like I should know this but when do UK applicants normally hear back? Is it near the end of January?

I got my invitation for interview mid-to-late January.

haitch40
December 4th, 2015, 12:05
I got my invitation for interview mid-to-late January.
How long did you get between the invitation and the actual interview?

Frap
December 4th, 2015, 12:14
How long did you get between the invitation and the actual interview?

Egzakuturi wan weeko

haitch40
December 4th, 2015, 12:24
Egzakuturi wan weeko
No pre booking train discounts for me then if I get an interview.

Starks
December 8th, 2015, 01:59
I always get a megabus anyway when going to London. Makes no difference to me really.

Zolrak 22
December 8th, 2015, 15:59
I always get a megabus anyway when going to London. Makes no difference to me really.
Stark men care not about comfort, only about making things right.

Starks
December 9th, 2015, 00:29
Stark men care not about comfort, only about making things right.
I'm a woman but yeah, I haven't got the money for trains from where I am :| It'd cost me £110...
Costs me £16 minimum on a megabus...

CastleMilo
December 10th, 2015, 01:34
I'm a woman but yeah, I haven't got the money for trains from where I am :| It'd cost me £110...
Costs me £16 minimum on a megabus...

Did you say you were 400 miles away? If so, that bus journey must take forever?!?

Starks
December 10th, 2015, 03:08
Did you say you were 400 miles away? If so, that bus journey must take forever?!?
I did it the other week, set off at 4:30, got there for 11:30.
They do another service where you get the bus to East Midlands parkway and you get the train for the rest of the journey, takes about 4 hours. The train is included in the price as well.
Also its more like 250 miles (:

Frap
December 10th, 2015, 08:43
Would you not be better going through the Edinburgh consulate? I guess it's too late now, but still.

CastleMilo
December 10th, 2015, 18:36
I did it the other week, set off at 4:30, got there for 11:30.
They do another service where you get the bus to East Midlands parkway and you get the train for the rest of the journey, takes about 4 hours. The train is included in the price as well.
Also its more like 250 miles (:

Oh wow!!! You seem incredibly casual when describing a 7 hour journey :lol:. (and on a bus no less!) Don't tell me you make this journey often?

Starks
December 10th, 2015, 19:50
Would you not be better going through the Edinburgh consulate? I guess it's too late now, but still.

I would have but I found out Edinburgh is about the same distance and I just know London better.

I make the journey about 4-5 times a year.

Starks
December 15th, 2015, 22:46
Hearing about these new self assessment medical forms and I haven't been sent one yet, can't give up just yet! Hopefully I will get mine soon.

CastleMilo
December 15th, 2015, 23:48
Hearing about these new self assessment medical forms and I haven't been sent one yet, can't give up just yet! Hopefully I will get mine soon.

Hold the phone. What new medical forms?

Starks
December 15th, 2015, 23:59
People are getting emails from JET UK about a revised self-assessment medical form, the email also says that they've passed the first screening.
I still haven't got the email and the deadlines for the forms is Friday. Hopefully I will get mine later this week since I handed in my application form so late.

haitch40
December 16th, 2015, 00:05
There was an email sent out to some applicants saying you passed initial screening (later on it still says an interview is not certain) but they want you to fill in a new self assessment medical form and email it back.

Neither me or my friend have the email either. Caused me to become really miserable yesterday due to the first part. I was sat there thinking I have been rejected already but it is fine I think.

raxel
December 16th, 2015, 00:12
Neither me or my friend have the email either. Caused me to become really miserable yesterday due to the first part. I was sat there thinking I have been rejected already but it is fine I think.

I saw the post in between two exams yesterday and became really miserable too :P No email, still no email, trying to resist the urge to refresh my email every 2 seconds, is it too early to give up hope and look at Interac? I hope so

Starks
December 16th, 2015, 00:14
I'm hoping it's because a lot of us didn't get our applications in until the last week.

CastleMilo
December 16th, 2015, 00:17
There was an email sent out to some applicants saying you passed initial screening (later on it still says an interview is not certain) but they want you to fill in a new self assessment medical form and email it back.

Oh that's interesting. Where are you folks hearing these things from? My JET info has been limited to ITIL and Reddit, both of which have been very quite these past few weeks.

Hopefully someone can shed some light onto what the 'revised' part of the medical form is. Hopefully they're not asking for a new statement of physician as well. Not that it would matter I've not had anything sent my way either.

haitch40
December 16th, 2015, 00:21
Oh that's interesting. Where are you folks hearing these things from? My JET info has been limited to ITIL and Reddit, both of which have been very quite these past few weeks.

Hopefully someone can shed some light onto what the 'revised' part of the medical form is. Hopefully they're not asking for a new statement of physician as well. Not that it would matter I've not had anything sent my way either.
The applying FB group. I have since left it so I don't overreact again. And no they don't need a new statement from the doctor.

Did you both submit a statement of physician? That may be the reason as in they have everything they need already.

raxel
December 16th, 2015, 00:26
The applying FB group. I have since left it so I don't overreact again. And no they don't need a new statement from the doctor.

Did you both submit a statement of physician? That may be the reason as in they have everything they need already.

Yeah I had to submit a statement of physician and an additional personal medical statement along with my self assessment medical form

CastleMilo
December 16th, 2015, 00:27
I'm hoping it's because a lot of us didn't get our applications in until the last week.

Oh shite, I submitted mine bang in the middle of the application window. Relatively low 'reference number' as well (below 50) .

(Now which way to Interac...?:| )

Starks
December 16th, 2015, 00:32
Yeah I had to submit a statement of physician and an additional personal medical statement along with my self assessment medical form
I had to have a physicians statement.

haitch40
December 16th, 2015, 00:33
Oh shite, I submitted mine bang in the middle of the application window. Relatively low 'reference number' as well (below 50).

(Now which way to Interac...?:| )
As far as I know most people who got the email had no conditions to write about and thus never went to the doctor for a statement.

Starks
December 16th, 2015, 00:36
I just read what had to be added, they were things I already included like piercings (as I found out after I filled it out that I had missed that from my final question) and dietry requirements.

I never submitted a personal statement to go with my doctors form... was it necessary?

CastleMilo
December 16th, 2015, 00:37

Yeah submitted a Statement of Physician as well.

(As dry as this may sound, its quite nice having some activity on this thread....despite the unnerving undertone associated with these past few posts)

haitch40, Starks, raxel delighted to make you acquaintance!

Starks
December 16th, 2015, 00:42
Nice to meet you too CastleMilo!
I'm still really interested in other people's application reference number but I feel like people probably wouldn't say if I asked on the Facebook page.

raxel
December 16th, 2015, 00:47
I just read what had to be added, they were things I already included like piercings (as I found out after I filled it out that I had missed that from my final question) and dietry requirements.

I never submitted a personal statement to go with my doctors form... was it necessary?

Not sure if it was necessary but it was mentioned for one of the boxes, can't remember which, but included one just in case even though it pretty much just summed up what I had already written with an added bit on how my condition is now (on anti depressant for anxiety if that maybe helps for the reason why I included an additional personal statement)

Also I had an application ID of 17 when I submitted the online part

CastleMilo
December 16th, 2015, 00:53
Nice to meet you too CastleMilo!
I'm still really interested in other people's application reference number but I feel like people probably wouldn't say if I asked on the Facebook page.

Yeah that does interest me too, just to get an idea of the application volume this year. Starks you submitted your stuff toward the end of the application period right? Would you be alright to share within what '100' your number was (can completely understand if you don't want to say)? Myself personally was below 50.

Starks
December 16th, 2015, 00:56
Not sure if it was necessary but it was mentioned for one of the boxes, can't remember which, but included one just in case even though it pretty much just summed up what I had already written with an added bit on how my condition is now (on anti depressant for anxiety if that maybe helps for the reason why I included an additional personal statement)
I am in a similar position but my doctors statement was very detailed so hopefully I will be ok.

I was number 31 CastleMilo.
This was for my online application though.

CastleMilo
December 16th, 2015, 02:11
I am in a similar position but my doctors statement was very detailed so hopefully I will be ok.

I was number 31 CastleMilo.
This was for my online application though.

Ah! Well I guess that means the reference numbers have no relation to the order in which your application was submitted.

Starks
December 16th, 2015, 02:35
Ah! Well I guess that means the reference numbers have no relation to the order in which your application was submitted.
I think it goes off when your Internet application was submitted. I submitted my online application early october

CastleMilo
December 16th, 2015, 03:30
I think it goes off when your Internet application was submitted. I submitted my online application early october

I see! That definitely makes more sense.

thatitguy
December 16th, 2015, 06:14
It could also go off the when you first registered/started the application.

Liagiba
December 16th, 2015, 09:36
Hey, new poster here.

Found this forum after searching for info about this new medical form. I received the email and my friend did not. Is there any sort of evidence that not receiving that email is a bad sign? After all, it did say about passing the inital screening process.....

If you're wondering, my application number is in the 300's, as is my friends, and we both submitted our paper applications in the first week :)

Frap
December 16th, 2015, 12:04
It seems quite clear that if you submitted a "personal medical statement" with your medical form in the original application, you have not been asked to resubmit an updated form. If you sent in your application without a personal medical statement, you will likely be requested to resubmit an amended medical form. The sentence regarding "initial screening process" is just shop talk for "your application is going through the motions," just like everybody else.

Try not to worry about any application other than your own. It will only make the waiting more bothersome. If you haven't been asked to submit a new medical form, that's fine. If you have been asked to submit a new medical form, that's fine, too.

People are often quick to "read between the lines," but it genuinely seems quite straightforward to me.

I wouldn't give up hope until you get a letter stating you have not been requested for an interview. Until then, ignore all this medical form crap.

Liagiba
December 16th, 2015, 12:30
It seems quite clear that if you submitted a "personal medical statement" with your medical form in the original application, you have not been asked to resubmit an updated form. If you sent in your application without a personal medical statement, you will likely be requested to resubmit an amended medical form. The sentence regarding "initial screening process" is just shop talk for "your application is going through the motions," just like everybody else.

Try not to worry about any application other than your own. It will only make the waiting more bothersome. If you haven't been asked to submit a new medical form, that's fine. If you have been asked to submit a new medical form, that's fine, too.

People are often quick to "read between the lines," but it genuinely seems quite straightforward to me.

I wouldn't give up hope until you get a letter stating you have not been requested for an interview. Until then, ignore all this medical form crap.

Yeah that clears things up. To be fair though, to be told 'you have passed the initial stage of screening' in that email, and then to hear of people who haven't had that said to them isn't so much reading between the lines! It was a little unfair of them to say that if it really means nothing hahaha.

You're totally right about the giving up hope thing, just got to see how it turns out eh? JET isn't the be all and end all, would just be a pretty cool opportunity :)

Thanks for getting back to me!

Frap
December 16th, 2015, 13:05
To be fair though, to be told 'you have passed the initial stage of screening' in that email, and then to hear of people who haven't had that said to them isn't so much reading between the lines! It was a little unfair of them to say that if it really means nothing hahaha.

It does mean something. It means the people they're contacting regarding a new medical form have passed the initial stage of screening. It DOESN'T mean that those who HAVEN'T been contacted regarding a new medical form have NOT passed the initial stage of screening. They just don't need to do anything and therefore don't need an email simply stating their application has passed the initial stage of screening.

I think people should probably try and calm down.

Liagiba
December 16th, 2015, 19:10
It does mean something. It means the people they're contacting regarding a new medical form have passed the initial stage of screening. It DOESN'T mean that those who HAVEN'T been contacted regarding a new medical form have NOT passed the initial stage of screening. They just don't need to do anything and therefore don't need an email simply stating their application has passed the initial stage of screening.

I think people should probably try and calm down.

Oh I don't know, I can't really blame some people for worrying; JET is a huge deal for some

I'm definitely in the camp of no news is good news and "just wait and see" but honestly either outcome is fine with me. Let's see what January brings!

haitch40
December 17th, 2015, 01:47
I am starting to question my placement requests. I wanted to put either urban or semi urban but they only accepted one so I put semi urban as I thought I had a better chance of being given it. Now I am wondering if I should have put urban instead as I wouldn't want them to pass over me if they had an offer of somewhere like Kagoshima available.

Although maybe I should wait to actually know if I am going at all first lol.

This goes in cycles it seems. A month ago I wanted to change my 3rd request to Okinawa and then decided I am fine.

Liagiba
December 17th, 2015, 02:25
I am starting to question my placement requests. I wanted to put either urban or semi urban but they only accepted one so I put semi urban as I thought I had a better chance of being given it. Now I am wondering if I should have put urban instead as I wouldn't want them to pass over me if they had an offer of somewhere like Kagoshima available.

This goes in cycles it seems. A month ago I wanted to change my 3rd request to Okinawa and then decided I am fine.

I'm no expert but I really don't think this matters at this stage, if at all. Put the whole thing to the back of your mind because it will probably drive you mad! I feel like it's such a competitive process that you might as well just forget about it until you hear back about whether you got an interview or not :p

Starks
December 17th, 2015, 03:03
I've put everything to the back of my mind until I hear something in January. I have too much university stuff to focus on right now.

mrcharisma
December 17th, 2015, 06:54

When I arrived Okinawa only took Yanks but no idea if that's still the case.

The lines between what are "urban" and "semi-urban" are open to interpretation anyway and you'd never be passed over just because of what population density you requested. I ended up in an 80,000 town that would probably be considered semi-urban and loved it. Plenty of amenities around, low outgoings and trips to the big cities every other weekend.

Starks
December 17th, 2015, 07:20
So what were everyone's placement choices if you made any?

haitch40
December 17th, 2015, 07:43
When I arrived Okinawa only took Yanks but no idea if that's still the case.

The lines between what are "urban" and "semi-urban" are open to interpretation anyway and you'd never be passed over just because of what population density you requested. I ended up in an 80,000 town that would probably be considered semi-urban and loved it. Plenty of amenities around, low outgoings and trips to the big cities every other weekend.
Good job I didn't put it then. My 3 choices 1st to 3rd are Kagoshima, Saga and Oita.

That makes me worry a little less, thanks.

Starks
December 17th, 2015, 08:02
Mine were Gunma, Akita and Ehime (:
I don't remember in which order...

haitch40
December 17th, 2015, 08:14
Mine were Gunma, Akita and Ehime (:
I don't remember in which order...
Out of interest why those 3?

Mine were.
1. The history of the city and the surrounding area. Also weather that is only beaten by Okinawa.
2. I had a friend who was a JET there and their photos and stories made me think it is a nice place.
3. I did some minor research of the area when it was a possibility of me going on exchange there. Red tape from the uni meant I couldn't go.

Starks
December 17th, 2015, 09:29
1. Gunma was one of the first places I researched near the centre near Tokyo and the mountains peaked my interest and when reading about it I just liked the sound of it.

2. A friend I made in university is from Akita and she helped convince me that it would be a nice place to work, I also talked to her English teacher about it as well.

3. Ehime I picked because of its history and points of interest. As a history student things like that pull me in quickly. Also I like the idea of island life.

I picked those three lastly because there's one at the bottom, one in the middle and one at the top.

mrcharisma
December 17th, 2015, 10:05
Good job I didn't put it then. My 3 choices 1st to 3rd are Kagoshima, Saga and Oita.

That makes me worry a little less, thanks.

Been to Saga and Oita. Saga has fuck all, Oita has the Blackpool of Japan (Beppu), a Jurassic Park themed love hotel and a nice little onsen town called Yufuin if I remember. Never made it as far down as Kagoshima but do like the thought of a city overlooked by a smoking volcano.

I liked Kyushu in general when I visited but you do need to remember it is quite out of the way. If you don't have a driving license shift hell and high water to get one before you go. You can manage without one in most placements but having one makes your time in Nippon a million times more interesting especially in Kyushu.

mrcharisma
December 17th, 2015, 10:08

Ananasboat
December 18th, 2015, 19:26
Out of interest why those 3?

Mine were.
1. The history of the city and the surrounding area. Also weather that is only beaten by Okinawa.
2. I had a friend who was a JET there and their photos and stories made me think it is a nice place.
3. I did some minor research of the area when it was a possibility of me going on exchange there. Red tape from the uni meant I couldn't go.

Please. One of those reasons is actually because you want to meet me for yourself.

Ananasboat
December 18th, 2015, 19:27
There's nothing resembling "island life" in Ehime but Matsuyama is one of the prettiest cities in Japan. Fantastic snack bar too which I've already rung the praises of on these boards.

Matsuyama is an awesome city. Just don't head butt your students.

haitch40
December 18th, 2015, 20:44
Please. One of those reasons is actually because you want to meet me for yourself.
I was actually hoping you would be gone at the end of this year. :p

Starks
December 19th, 2015, 02:59
The rejections have started. Bugger.

Ananasboat
December 19th, 2015, 09:52
I was actually hoping you would be gone at the end of this year. :p

I'm riding this beast out till the end. You've got a couple more application cycles to go.

raxel
December 19th, 2015, 20:02
Got my letter saying I didn't get an interview today, spent a month living in China, had killer references, taken Japanese classes and had been the part of the Japanese society, starting to feel like it was because of my medical form. There is no point in waiting until next year to try again I feel. Oh well, been having a look at aeon and interac.

Liagiba
December 19th, 2015, 20:37
My friend has had a letter delivered back home, we're assuming it's a rejection. As for myself I'm just waiting to see if anything has been delivered also. If it is a rejection I'm happy it's over with before the new year :) on to bigger and better things eh?

Zolrak 22
December 20th, 2015, 02:36
The earlier you get the notice, the better.

It'll give you time to consider the other companies. The main draw of JET is the flight and the possible connections. There are good companies out there, especially if you want a career in teaching, as some provide training and other perks such as a guaranteed placement area.

JET's pay has been reduced, so the difference ain't that much in that regard.

Starks
December 20th, 2015, 08:00
I also received a letter saying I did not make it to the interview. Oh well, time to focus on other things.

Thekatelynn
December 20th, 2015, 11:21
That does not bode well for me :(

flight
December 23rd, 2015, 06:59
Do they send you an email saying you didn't get an interview as well? I'm not back home until the 1st Jan so pretty worried right now ><

haitch40
December 24th, 2015, 03:51
Do they send you an email saying you didn't get an interview as well? I'm not back home until the 1st Jan so pretty worried right now ><
Nope, just post.

Figwit
January 6th, 2016, 19:10
Aspiring UK JET here. Did anyone else get an email frm the JET desk asking them to resubmit their medical self assessment? The email seemed to imply I'd passed the initial screening but it was clearly not an invitiation to interview. I'm checking my email every few minutes at the moment in the hope that something will appear!

Jamie Solo
January 6th, 2016, 20:07
A bunch of people did get that. Some of those that didn't have since been rejected.

In past years notifications have started coming out today but it can be as late as February before you hear anything from JET so I would advise trying to put it in the back of your mind. Otherwise you'll end up going crazy ;)

Figwit
January 6th, 2016, 22:23
Ah, just found the JET Applicants facebook page and all the comments about the second medical form. Thanks Jamie.

Seruer
January 19th, 2016, 05:37
Hey guys, UK applicant here.

Has anyone received a rejection post-new year? (As in during the official interview period) I still haven't received an interview invitation and wondering if all the rejections are going to come at the end.

Thanks in advance :)

Figwit
January 19th, 2016, 17:26
I've not heard of anyone being rejected since New Year. They only seem to be giving one week's notice (or less!) so there is still plenty of time to get your invite.

Liagiba
January 19th, 2016, 19:05
I've not heard of anyone being rejected since New Year. They only seem to be giving one week's notice (or less!) so there is still plenty of time to get your invite.

I'm aware of people being rejected since new year, so it seems like they're still churning them lot. I also know of a lot of people, including myself, who have still heard nothing so I have a feeling there's bound to be another big wave of rejection letters alongside interview invites.

And yeah! They do seem to be giving barely any notice!

Jamie Solo
January 20th, 2016, 05:42
They have seemed a lot more on the ball with rejections this year. And less notice means less people that can likely make it which helps them in the cull of applicants so it actually makes sense. The resource drain on the embassy during interviews has to be significant.

Seruer
January 23rd, 2016, 05:40
Still waiting for news :(

mermaidcrane
January 27th, 2016, 16:35
Anyone had an invitation to interview yet? I was an Alternate until December, but this time last year I'd already had my interview! All I've heard since applying was an email asking me to fill out the second medical form.

Seruer
January 27th, 2016, 19:43
I still haven't at least, and I also had to do the second medical form. Similarly, I too had my interview by now when I applied two years ago. It's not like I've become a worse candidate since then!

Maybe they are prioritising applications from fresh candidates? :rolleyes:

webstaa
January 28th, 2016, 08:37
If it's anything like the US applications, they've moved everything back a few weeks to give Tokyo more time to process applications.

Jamie Solo
January 28th, 2016, 21:45
I had my interview last week. Whilst there I was told that interviews would only be going to the end of January. Whether that's true or not I don't know. But if you do get invited, expect a week's notice or less.

Seruer
January 28th, 2016, 21:51
Thanks for the information, Jamie.

Seem like it's a rejection, then. Just wondering what went wrong now...

mothy
January 28th, 2016, 23:40
Farts. Based off of the train I'm on now, too many farts have left the train inoperable.

Figwit
January 29th, 2016, 01:43
I interviewed last week in Edinburgh. There are still a bunch of people on the facebook group that haven't heard anything, so there may still be interviews to come. All of the CIRs are still to interview as well. It isn't over until you get your rejection email/letter!

mermaidcrane
January 29th, 2016, 05:54
Hmmm, it seems strange that they would tell you that, or that the recruitment timeline would set out interviews as being throughout Jan and Feb and then cut things off in Jan. My application is definitely stronger than it was last year when I was made an Alternate, and as Seruer says, you can't become a worse candidate. But then the ways of JET are very mysterious...

haitch40
January 29th, 2016, 06:03
Well you can't become a 'worse' candidate but if you didn't get in before then JET likely wants to see how you have improved. If you are exactly the same person then you are just going to end up getting rejected/expired alternate again.

That is how I would judge people if I owned a company and I recruited 2 years in a row.

Seruer
January 29th, 2016, 06:09
I've had a lot more teaching-related experience (compared to very little then), earned a qualification in Japanese (compared to none then), and done a TEFL certificate (compared to none then). I am absolutely a better candidate than two years ago.

mermaidcrane
January 29th, 2016, 06:17
Well, yes, hence why I said my application this time was stronger.

I've got a TEFL qualification, a first class degree, an academic prize and a Japanese-culture themed blog to my name this time around, none of which I had when I became an Alternate last year. I'm also working as a London assistant for a publication half based in Tokyo.

I was hoping the above would be enough to take me from Alternate limbo to short list. But as I also said, I know JET moves in mysterious ways and perhaps one year's promising candidate is another's average reject.

Frap
January 29th, 2016, 08:16
a Japanese-culture themed blog

http://www.careysuevega.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/donald-trump-hired.jpg

mrcharisma
January 29th, 2016, 08:35
Well, yes, hence why I said my application this time was stronger.

I've got a TEFL qualification, a first class degree, an academic prize and a Japanese-culture themed blog to my name this time around, none of which I had when I became an Alternate last year. I'm also working as a London assistant for a publication half based in Tokyo.

I was hoping the above would be enough to take me from Alternate limbo to short list. But as I also said, I know JET moves in mysterious ways and perhaps one year's promising candidate is another's average reject.

A 1st class degree and TEFL would have looked good, but the Japan-themed blog would set off enough warning bells to nullify the positives.

The tenuous Japan link in your current job wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

If you go for a 3rd attempt, cut out anything that makes you look obsessed with or even just focussed on Japan. Concentrate entirely on how good a teacher / " cultural representative" you'll be.

Figwit
April 2nd, 2016, 18:39
My letter just came through the door. I got shortlisted! Good luck to the rest of you!