PDA

View Full Version : Question on Abroad Experience

musicnote
October 20th, 2015, 05:12
Hello everyone!

I've been a quiet lurker for awhile, but now I have a question of my own. This past January I went on a two week study trip with my professor and 5 other classmates to Matsuyama, Ehime. Since we were from their sister city school, we did a lot of great stuff. For example, we were interviewed by local newspapers, featured on tv twice and meet the Vice-Mayor. In other words, we were basically like mini diplomats lol. Since it was such as wonderful experience, I had mentioned it in my SOP. However, we never received anything in paper as proof (like a certificate or transcript). I wanted to know if I needed any proof for the trip? I also wanted to know if it is okay to mention it on my SOP or application without any proof.

fyi: My Japanese Professor who lead the trip is writing my letter of recommendation.

Thank you all in advance! I've never written on a forum before so this is a first lol.

ambrosse
October 20th, 2015, 10:20
Nope. Unless you were registered with or taking courses at a Japanese school, it just counts as a field trip or vacation.

word
October 20th, 2015, 11:37
I think it's fine to mention it; it's relevant and probably worth including if you don't hafta awkwardly shoehorn it into your SoP somehow.

Ini
October 20th, 2015, 12:54
You'd be a fool not to mention it. That's the sort of grass roots internationalization bullshit the jet programme claims to represent.

Gizmotech
October 20th, 2015, 13:37
I'd say that's a pretty decent combo of the experience in your SoP (Like ini said, it's the perfect Japan-wankage) and having said professor also write your rec letter. RUN WITH IT!

musicnote
October 20th, 2015, 16:14
Cool! Thank you everyone:) I just wanted to double check.