PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring US JETs 2016

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

thesquanticorn
October 31st, 2015, 05:26
Hi all!

I'm new here (long-time lurker who finally did the right thing), so I hope it's okay that I'm starting this thread. I'm an aspiring JET ALT from California and am curious to see who else on here is coming from the good ol' U.S. of A. I'm a 25-year-old female who graduated with a Bachelor's and Masters in Accounting as well as a minor in International Business. I wanted to be an artist/writer but took a different path because parents, economy worries, job stability, and did I mention parents? They crazy. However, said parents are happy to finally support me pursuing my dreams and (hopefully!!) going to Japan for a year. I've loved Japan since I was little and finally got to visit this past March for two weeks. It was a solo trip, which was rad, and it totally affirmed my long-time fascination with Japan's culture, landscape, and language. About the language, though - my Japanese is still terrible. Currently fixing this.

Feel free to put where you're applying from and anything else about yourself that you'd like for us to know. I look forward to meeting you all!

-S'corn

Zolrak 22
October 31st, 2015, 13:34
Hi Shanti, it's nice to meet you!

Applying from Puerto Rico, graduated in graphic design last may.

This is the second time applying [emoji28], hopefully I get in this time. [emoji14]

What can I say about myself that I haven't ranted about before? Hmm...

Let's see, never been to Japan before, but I'm interested in the culture and language (I guess we all are, otherwise we wouldn't be applying, right?), I just became 24 a few days ago and I'm a lot more reserved in real life than I appear to be on this website. [emoji75]

Oh and I seriously gotta get back to studying Japanese again, I'm rusty as heck and I was pretty bad before. [emoji29]

I still have yet to send out my application cause I'm missing the FBI document and a few touches on my SoP. Other than that I'm golden. [emoji6]

(Don't mind the nickname, I just like having "real" names for you guys, if you don't like it we can always change it! It was the closest thing that came to mind in regards to your username)

thesquanticorn
November 2nd, 2015, 06:46
Nice to meet you, Zolrak. Sadly, my real name is nowhere near as cool as Shanti but I will DEFINITELY take it. :) I wish you the best of luck on your second time; I'm sure you'll have better luck this time!

Zolrak 22
November 9th, 2015, 17:00
So here's something that's bothering me and it's why I haven't shipped the application yet.

Last year we were supposed to make 2 copies of everything.(At least that's what I remember)

From what I've seen on the website, it appears that's not the case this time.

Is this true? Or am I misinterpreting something?

Satori Shinobi
November 10th, 2015, 13:21
So here's something that's bothering me and it's why I haven't shipped the application yet.

Last year we were supposed to make 2 copies of everything.(At least that's what I remember)

From what I've seen on the website, it appears that's not the case this time.

Is this true? Or am I misinterpreting something?

It would appear that they're breaking with tradition...

Applicants should gather all materials and submit a single application packet to the JET Program Office.

via https://jetprogramusa.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/2016-checklist-mailing-information2.pdf

Zolrak 22
November 10th, 2015, 14:36
It would appear that they're breaking with tradition...

It would be so nice if everything was digital some day.

Thekatelynn
December 20th, 2015, 08:30
Hi guys, my name is Kate. I'm 22 from somewhere in NY. I'm super interested in Japan and I've spent the last few months substitute teaching.

Zolrak 22
December 20th, 2015, 10:25
Hi Kate, it's great to meet you.

That's a nice picture. [emoji14]

Thekatelynn
December 20th, 2015, 11:20
Its the first one I found when I typed in Japan. :p

firemarth
December 21st, 2015, 19:40
25-year-old Male here. Applied for JET two years back, interviewed through the Detroit consulate, and landed Alternate but never got upgraded. Decided to try one more time this year. Have since moved across the country, so if I land an interview this year, it'll be through the Seattle consulate. Bachelors in Mass Communication, focus in radio, strong interest in music and writing.

hiddenlee22
December 21st, 2015, 23:17
That's a nice picture. [emoji14]

Sorry we all can't have cool pictures like yours Zolrak :cool:

ambrosse
December 22nd, 2015, 12:14
Sorry we all can't have cool pictures like yours Zolrak :cool:

Welcome back!

hiddenlee22
December 22nd, 2015, 22:51
Welcome back!

It's good to be back! I'm just here to see what this year's applicants are like. Also, to those of you applying to the NY consulate, have fun with that.

Thekatelynn
December 22nd, 2015, 23:38
Haha. I live in NY and I'm not interviewing at that consulate. I'm doing to D.C.

Ohsheetzombies
December 23rd, 2015, 14:52
Hello peoples, my name is Sebastian. I'm a recent graduate with a B.S. in Psychology/Neuroscience. Excited to hear back regarding apps in January!

Thekatelynn
December 23rd, 2015, 22:59
I didn't request any specific area to be in....

Zolrak 22
December 23rd, 2015, 23:07
I didn't request any specific area to be in....
That's not a bad thing, just means you are open to any placement.

Thekatelynn
December 23rd, 2015, 23:17
I found out about the program kind of last minute so I wasn't able to do much research.

PaganPoetry
December 24th, 2015, 02:32
It's good to be back! I'm just here to see what this year's applicants are like. Also, to those of you applying to the NY consulate, have fun with that.

Is this a warning? Should I expect some sort of clusterfuck?

hiddenlee22
December 24th, 2015, 03:30
I found out about the program kind of last minute so I wasn't able to do much research.

It's better that you didn't put a placement request if you don't know much about the area because that's something they ask you in the interview.

"I see you're looking to be placed in Nara. Could you tell us why you chose Nara instead of other regions in Japan like Hokkaido?"

Thekatelynn
December 25th, 2015, 06:34
I'm nervous I didn't put enough into my application now.

hiddenlee22
December 26th, 2015, 00:21
Is this a warning? Should I expect some sort of clusterfuck?

If you get an interview, I'll be sure to let you know what awaits you. :cool:

Thekatelynn
December 26th, 2015, 03:30
Thanks, funny thing is, I'm not nervous at all for the interview, because I'm like a normal human, just selling yourself on paper is so much more difficult.

mrcharisma
December 26th, 2015, 05:00
I'm like a normal human

You'll be a first for JET then. 20-something whiteys who dress daily in lolita costume are rarely considered "normal".

Thekatelynn
December 26th, 2015, 05:09
As a teacher I have to pretend like I can function normally in society.

Jiggit
December 27th, 2015, 05:55
As a teacher I have to pretend like I can function normally in society.
As a teacher, everyone knows you can't function normally in society.

Thekatelynn
December 27th, 2015, 08:42
Pretend being the operative word.

Atrolle
December 28th, 2015, 01:18
Greetings, applicant from the Carolina's here. Recently gradated from college in December and hopong to have an adventure abroad.

Ive also been lurking around thd ITIL forums for awhile and finally decided to join.

WhiteFang
December 28th, 2015, 06:38
Good 'morrow! I am an Applicant from Georgia! I just graduated from college with my English Education degree in December! I'm really nervous about this process!

i actually just found this forum the other day and decided to join!

Zolrak 22
December 28th, 2015, 23:02
Good 'morrow! I am an Applicant from Georgia!

Hi Walter/Fanny (whichever suits your gender) , nice to have you here! [emoji14]

Take a look around (there's all kinda of resources here if you look in the right corners) and be sure to participate in conversations . [emoji75]

WhiteFang
December 29th, 2015, 00:05
Hi Walter/Fanny (whichever suits your gender) , nice to have you here! [emoji14]

"Fanny?" That's a new one! Most people see that and call me Fang, but Fanny works too. (Though I taught an entire unit on "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" for my class and ended up grading 80-some essays about it, so I'm partial to the name Walter at this point. :lol: )

Applying this year? Are you nervous? We should know in a couple weeks, right?

Jiggit
December 29th, 2015, 03:06
"Fanny?" That's a new one! Most people see that and call me Fang, but Fanny works too. (Though I taught an entire unit on "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" for my class and ended up grading 80-some essays about it, so I'm partial to the name Walter at this point. [emoji38] )

Applying this year? Are you nervous? We should know in a couple weeks, right?
You mean most people in real life or in your tumblr furry community?

WhiteFang
December 29th, 2015, 03:36
You mean most people in real life or in your tumblr furry community?

I actually don't have a tumblr account, and I'm not sure I know what a "furry" really is... It's an old nickname I've used online for years. "White Fang" was one of my favorite novels and movies growing up, and Jack London remains a nostalgic favorite. :)

I can see the confusion, though.

mothy
December 29th, 2015, 11:55
I'm not sure I know what a "furry" really is...

Don't google it.

acpc2203
December 29th, 2015, 16:52
Don't google it.
Don't listen to this guy

mothy
December 29th, 2015, 21:56
Don't let a selfish desire for more hits for your Tumblr come between you and doing the right thing, ape2203.

acpc2203
December 31st, 2015, 06:01
Don't let a selfish desire for more hits for your Tumblr come between you and doing the right thing, ape2203.
:^(

RavenParadox
December 31st, 2015, 13:46
New Jersey. 28. Graphic Designer/Stationer in the wedding industry (ironically forever alone), and freelance Fine Artist. Took so long to apply to JET in the past because of difficult circumstances, but at a (slightly) better position in my life in which I can finally consider pursuing JET.

WhiteFang
January 1st, 2016, 23:41
Happy New Year everyone! :)

Ohsheetzombies
January 2nd, 2016, 12:11
Happy new year everyone! And welcome fellow new people!

hiddenlee22
January 3rd, 2016, 03:02
New Jersey. 28. Graphic Designer/Stationer in the wedding industry (ironically forever alone), and freelance Fine Artist. Took so long to apply to JET in the past because of difficult circumstances, but at a (slightly) better position in my life in which I can finally consider pursuing JET.

Someone from Jersey and also in the wedding industry?! What are the odds? :cool:

Zolrak 22
January 3rd, 2016, 07:15
Someone from Jersey and also in the wedding industry?! What are the odds? :cool:
Lee, how dare you go around flirting in front of me. [emoji174]

Aisle
January 3rd, 2016, 21:51
Made an account here, and then my semester started getting really hard. Looking forward to hopefully hearing back in the next few weeks. Using WaniKani to study in the meantime.

hiddenlee22
January 4th, 2016, 05:54
Lee, how dare you go around flirting in front of me. [emoji174]

It was an accident. Don't worry Zol. I only have eyes for you ;)

RavenParadox
January 4th, 2016, 08:55

Heck yep; I sort of fell into it by happenstance and hated/dreaded it at first, but found a stable-ish career in it so I sucked it up and have come to sorta like it. You were in it too? What kind of work did you do?

hiddenlee22
January 4th, 2016, 09:10
Heck yep; I sort of fell into it by happenstance and hated/dreaded it at first, but found a stable-ish career in it so I sucked it up and have come to sorta like it. You were in it too? What kind of work did you do?

Don't we all...technically still in it until I leave. I work with an event coordinating company in Princeton and 9/10 I'm managing a wedding. You?

RavenParadox
January 4th, 2016, 09:28
God, I'd pass out if I was managing weddings. I've only recently managed to get my anxiety in check (read: I've only recently learned to fake it). I work at a stationery boutique mostly designing wedding invitations up in Morristown, and also in Montclair for a small design company. I wouldn't be surprised if we've had the same clients, haha.

berikyuu
January 5th, 2016, 10:37
Female. 23. New Jersey.

Applying to JET has been a goal/dream of mine for years! And now that I've (finally) graduated, I'm going for it! Recently graduated with a BA in Linguistics and certifications in P-12 ESL and K-6 Elementary.

Rekrab
January 5th, 2016, 12:27
"Old" Guy here. Finally decided to apply at the ripe old age of 30. Up until now it's just been bad timing with other things going on in my life. Now I'm just anxiously awaiting the interview email.

hiddenlee22
January 5th, 2016, 23:44
Yet another applicant from New Jersey. Slowly, but surely, Japan will become the next New Jersey. REPRESENT

acpc2203
January 6th, 2016, 15:37
Yet another applicant from New Jersey. Slowly, but surely, Japan will become the next New Jersey. REPRESENT
No thanks

berikyuu
January 7th, 2016, 04:17

Sounds good to me! :lol:

simplesam
January 7th, 2016, 08:11
Male, 25, Deep South Texas (about 20 minutes from Mexico)

I had applied last year, had a smashing interview, got told I was shortlisted, then got an email the next day that the coordinator had made a mistake and I was only an alternate. Pretty sure that it had to do with a paperwork fiasco and technicality involving the background check (the whole sad sob story can be found here on the forum...somewhere). I took a hiatus from the site for obvious disappointment reasons, but since I've applied again and feel more optimistic this time around (the coordinator even sent me an emailing encouraging me to give it another go and I doubled checked everything, crossed the "T"s, dotted the "i"s, etc. etc.), I thought I'd start chatting it up again with you blokes and dames.

Buena suerte a todos! :D

berikyuu
January 7th, 2016, 12:16
So since this is my first time applying, I'm combing through the forum and it looks like some time next week is the usual time interviews are announced? Definitely getting butterflies!! :026:

simplesam
January 7th, 2016, 18:23
Just went through my emails and confirmed that I got my interview email for last year on Monday 1/12/15. Looks like your prediction is spot on.

If they did it the same as last year, the interview email will be two part. The first is a mass email to everyone who applied listing the ID numbers of everyone who passed the initial screening, regardless of consulate. The second email can be the same day or (more likely) later that week with the specifics for your consulate. From that point on, EVERYTHING is consulate-specific, from correspondence to interview dates and information (this is where ESID truly starts to rear its ugly head, lol), so you should try to make friends fast with those in your area if you want to trade details and war-stories. :P

ambrosse
January 7th, 2016, 21:13
I had applied last year, had a smashing interview, got told I was shortlisted, then got an email the next day that the coordinator had made a mistake and I was only an alternate.

Welcome back, sam!

berikyuu
January 8th, 2016, 00:16
Just went through my emails and confirmed that I got my interview email for last year on Monday 1/12/15. Looks like your prediction is spot on.

If they did it the same as last year, the interview email will be two part. The first is a mass email to everyone who applied listing the ID numbers of everyone who passed the initial screening, regardless of consulate. The second email can be the same day or (more likely) later that week with the specifics for your consulate. From that point on, EVERYTHING is consulate-specific, from correspondence to interview dates and information (this is where ESID truly starts to rear its ugly head, lol), so you should try to make friends fast with those in your area if you want to trade details and war-stories. :P

Thanks for the advice! I know a few people from my school who have applied and got in (and a couple who unfortunately did not), but from what I understand, a lot of it has to do with your character/personality and how you present yourself at the interview? But still, it'd be nice to get to know everyone here on the forum. I can see by this thread alone there are quite a few people from Jersey lol :039:

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 02:37
I have butterflies too! I'm really nervous about this! But the advice is great! :) Thanks! I keep thinking I made a mistake or something.

unfortunately, I don't know anyone in my area. I haven't seen too many applicants from Georgia lurking around here! (Or I might have missed them! That's a possibility!)

simplesam
January 8th, 2016, 03:03
Thanks ambrosse! It feels good to be back! :D

I have butterflies too! I'm really nervous about this! But the advice is great! :) Thanks! I keep thinking I made a mistake or something.

unfortunately, I don't know anyone in my area. I haven't seen too many applicants from Georgia lurking around here! (Or I might have missed them! That's a possibility!)

Georgia, huh? Hmm...which consulate did you apply to? It's usually the same city you said you would fly out of if you were accepted into JET.

BabyKing
January 8th, 2016, 05:14
I'm a Georgia applicant! Heeeeeeyyyyyy!!!!

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 05:51
Thanks ambrosse! It feels good to be back! :D

Georgia, huh? Hmm...which consulate did you apply to? It's usually the same city you said you would fly out of if you were accepted into JET.

I choose Atlanta. I'm about two hours from there, so it was the closest!
You from Georgia?

I'm a Georgia applicant! Heeeeeeyyyyyy!!!!

Hey! What part of Georgia, about? (If you don't mind me asking, that is.) I'm near Augusta. :)

simplesam
January 8th, 2016, 07:30
I choose Atlanta. I'm about two hours from there, so it was the closest!
You from Georgia?

Oh no, I'm a Texas boy, through and through...well, except for the fact, that I'm like 97% Mexican, lol...

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 08:17
Oh no, I'm a Texas boy, through and through...well, except for the fact, that I'm like 97% Mexican, lol...

I've never been to Texas, unfortunately, but my grandfather is from there! I guess i should have looked at previous posts before asking, neh? :lol:

This is my first time applying... Fingers crossed!

berikyuu
January 8th, 2016, 09:19
This is my first time applying... Fingers crossed!

Good luck! It's so exciting, isn't it? I mean, I've been wanting to do this for so long, but I don't want to get all my hopes up because I might not even make through the first round. But I'm definitely staying positive! :050:

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 09:29
Good luck! It's so exciting, isn't it? I mean, I've been wanting to do this for so long, but I don't want to get all my hopes up because I might not even make through the first round. But I'm definitely staying positive! :050:

Staying positive is the best way to get through this! I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up TOO high, because I might not make it through the first round either. I'm still doubtful that I will even get an interview!
But yes, it is exciting! If not this year, then maybe next year! I can't wait to go back to Japan!

berikyuu
January 8th, 2016, 09:51
I've never even been to Japan! I mean, I guess I could have studied abroad while I was in college. But that would have required taking out more loans that I just couldn't afford. I figured JET is the perfect opportunity because it's a job within my field (teaching English as a Second Language), THEY pay ME, and I get to visit Japan. :053:

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 10:03
I was an English education major, and the program had a trip to Japan for the purpose of learning the school system and touring schools. I went to Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara, worked with students, helped with lessons, and met with principals. It was amazing! :) I wanted this job before going, but after going, I was certain that I had picked the right career! :)

berikyuu
January 8th, 2016, 10:10
Nice! What a great opportunity to have! It's always good meeting other people in the education field. With our experience, I'm sure we have a good chance of getting in! :D

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 10:19
It was a fantastic opportunity! Even if I don't get JET, then I will carry what I learned from that experience throughout my days teaching in America!

I try not to have the attitude that my experience makes it a sure thing! Again, I don't want my hopes too high. I might not make it. I don't wanna get crushed. I think linguist trumps English Major! :)

Did you put a preference for placement?

berikyuu
January 8th, 2016, 10:29
It's been sooooo hard not getting too excited lol! And it doesn't help that I have a huge support system at home, pretty much trying to give me a big head, saying things like "omg you're a shoe in!" "You know the language! Your field's in ESL!" "You got this!" Like no, stop, please!! I don't need all this excessive praise! This is a huge program and there are probably thousands of people who are more qualified than me. :107:

I did! My first pick was Nara because I have friends who live in the area. My other choices were general areas near Nara. It'd be nice to get any of those requests, but honestly, if I am lucky enough to be selected, I'll go wherever they put me lol.

What about you?

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 10:37
I know the feeling! Everyone is trying tell me I am sure to get in because of my experiences, and I don't want them to! I've taken ESL courses, but I'm not certified yet. It sounds like you are well prepared for this! But I'm with you. The program is huge with so many applicants! It's scary to think about, but also exciting!

LOL! Nara was my first pick as well! I loved it when I visited! Kyoto was my second one and my third was near a military base! But, like you, I will go where they send me if I'm fortunate enough to get in! :)

Gizmotech
January 8th, 2016, 11:49
Time to dash hopes and dreams. My friend, major linguistics and applied language studies, uni cert in teaching esl with national accreditation, daughter of a diplomat (read travelled most of her life), minor in Japanese language and history, spoke four languages (including Japanese), had been to Japan.... Didn't make it through the interview.

Welcome to jet.

Thekatelynn
January 8th, 2016, 11:56
:samurai:

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 11:57
Welcome to jet.

Oh, believe me, I'm not arrogant enough to think I have even a decent chance of getting in! You aren't knocking me down any pegs! I already have all the back up plans! Thanks for the information! :)

Thekatelynn
January 8th, 2016, 12:04
I've already resigned myself to be fine either way.

WhiteFang
January 8th, 2016, 12:15
I've already resigned myself to be fine either way.

Same.

ambrosse
January 8th, 2016, 12:16
I've never even been to Japan! I mean, I guess I could have studied abroad while I was in college. But that would have required taking out more loans that I just couldn't afford. I figured JET is the perfect opportunity because it's a job within my field (teaching English as a Second Language), THEY pay ME, and I get to visit Japan. :053:

My field is just English, but my goal is to complete the Education part of my degree to become a teacher when I come back to the States.
Other than that, your reasoning is spot on to how I was feeling when I applied.

berikyuu
January 8th, 2016, 12:33
Time to dash hopes and dreams. My friend, major linguistics and applied language studies, uni cert in teaching esl with national accreditation, daughter of a diplomat (read travelled most of her life), minor in Japanese language and history, spoke four languages (including Japanese), had been to Japan.... Didn't make it through the interview.

Welcome to jet.

Hey you know, at this point whatever happens, happens. I did my best on my application and that's all I can do. I'll be prepared for whatever decision they make about me. But until then, I'll stay positive! :)

acpc2203
January 8th, 2016, 20:09
I'm a complete disgrace to humanity and I got in easily.

simplesam
January 9th, 2016, 09:22
SORRY TO INTERRUPT BUT IMPORTANT!!!!!

FIRST SCREENING RESULTS ARE IN!!!! CHECK OUT YOUR JET INBOX AT JET Login Page (http://www.jetapplication.com) TO SEE IF YOU HAVE BEEN OFFERED AN INTERVIEW!!!!

(for the record, I was and will be getting interviewed in Houston! :D)

Zolrak 22
January 9th, 2016, 09:28
That's great, I guess my (possible) disappointment will have to wait for after work.

(When I have a personal computer at hand.)

simplesam
January 9th, 2016, 09:33
That's great, I guess my (possible) disappointment will have to wait for after work.

(When I have a personal computer at hand.)

:( Lo siento, primo. The wait must be killer...jaja. :/ :/ :/

Fingers crossed y Buena Suerte!

berikyuu
January 9th, 2016, 09:35
Got an interview!!! Guess I'm heading to New York! :kaos_chirol_banzai:

WhiteFang
January 9th, 2016, 09:36
Looks like I'm going to Atlanta! Congratulations to everyone! :)

Thekatelynn
January 9th, 2016, 09:52
No interview for me. Time to look for other possibilities.

PaganPoetry
January 9th, 2016, 10:11
I'll be heading into NYC for the interview as well!

Rekrab
January 9th, 2016, 10:12
Got my interview in as well!

simplesam
January 9th, 2016, 10:26
Got my interview in as well!

Congrats! What consulate/city Rekrab!?

No interview for me. Time to look for other possibilities.

As someone who is applying for the second time around, I know the feeling. I just want to let you know that I truly understand and empathize. Sooner or later (more often later, let's be real), you'll find the answer.

Rekrab
January 9th, 2016, 10:37
Congrats! What consulate/city Rekrab!?

Thanks! I'm going to Los Angeles.

WhiteFang
January 9th, 2016, 10:45
Got an interview!!! Guess I'm heading to New York! :kaos_chirol_banzai:
Congrats and good luck! ^^ I guess the fun really begins now! Are you nervous?

berikyuu
January 9th, 2016, 11:23
Congrats and good luck! ^^ I guess the fun really begins now! Are you nervous?

Thank you! Same to you! :052:
Actually, I feel more excited than anything else. The fact that I even made it this far is so amazing and I'm so grateful for it! How are you feeling?

WhiteFang
January 9th, 2016, 11:27
Thank you! Same to you! :052:
Actually, I feel more excited than anything else. The fact that I even made it this far is so amazing and I'm so grateful for it! How are you feeling?

Ha! I'm glad you are excited!
I feel the same! Nervous and excited! I guess now the preparing begins! I can't believe I got the opportunity to interview!

berikyuu
January 9th, 2016, 11:30
Same! I saw a really helpful thread around here that talks all about the interview process. I also have a few friends who are/were JETs. If I find out any good advice, I'll be sure to pass it along to you~ :^_^:

WhiteFang
January 9th, 2016, 13:06
Thanks! That would be super helpful! I hope we know the date soon!

simplesam
January 9th, 2016, 13:16
From my experience from applying last year, the myargonauts jason videos on YouTube were the ones I found most helpful. You'll find other vlogers talk about it here and there, but I liked his best and, having actually gone through the interview process, the most accurate and well rounded. He is a veteran JET and actually helped conduct interviews after his service.

mothy
January 9th, 2016, 14:16
Myargonauts? Come on, guys.

simplesam
January 9th, 2016, 14:27
Myargonauts? Come on, guys.

Lol, idk, there's probably better ones out there, but I did like that he interviews several JETs about their experiences applying. It was cool to actually hear multiple perspectives (just like here on the site).

ambrosse
January 9th, 2016, 14:27
Just a warning out to those who are interviewing in New York or San Francisco...
Be more prepared for an impromptu demo lesson than any other consulate. Many people were caught off-guard last year...

berikyuu
January 9th, 2016, 14:36
Just a warning out to those who are interviewing in New York or San Francisco...
Be more prepared for an impromptu demo lesson than any other consulate. Many people were caught off-guard last year...

Thanks for the heads up! I so got this! :cool: *puts teacher hat on*

mothy
January 9th, 2016, 15:06
Lol, idk, there's probably better ones out there, but I did like that he interviews several JETs about their experiences applying. It was cool to actually hear multiple perspectives (just like here on the site).

His perspective has been on this site before. I wonder if his posts have survived the various purges and still exist somewhere.

acpc2203
January 9th, 2016, 19:05
My advice for the interview is not prepare at all and just wing the whole thing. A lot better than stressing out about it.

ambrosse
January 9th, 2016, 20:03
My advice for the interview is not prepare at all and just wing the whole thing. A lot better than stressing out about it.

Honestly, that is exactly what I did, lol.
A "What have I got to lose?" attitude really goes a long way.

EDIT: I think my panel only asked me one standard JET question on those "JET Interview Question" sites. All were tailored specifically to my application.

berikyuu
January 9th, 2016, 23:55
I'll be heading into NYC for the interview as well!

Awesome! Hopefully we'll be there at the same date/time. Can't wait to mingle with other aspiring JETs :D

hiddenlee22
January 10th, 2016, 01:00
Awesome! Hopefully we'll be there at the same date/time. Can't wait to mingle with other aspiring JETs :D

While waiting for my interview, everyone in the room sat there silently. Only myself and one other girl were talking to the former JET who waits with you. If anything, talk to them.

Bit of advise for everyone in the interview stage (like most people have already said), do not over-prepare. Different panels ask different questions, most of which come from your specific application (like ambrosse said).

berikyuu
January 10th, 2016, 01:04
While waiting for my interview, everyone in the room sat there silently. Only myself and one other girl were talking to the former JET who waits with you. If anything, talk to them.

Bit of advise for everyone in the interview stage (like most people have already said), do not over-prepare. Different panels ask different questions, most of which come from your specific application (like ambrosse said).

This might sound like a really dumb question, but how will you know who the former JET in the room is? Are they wearing a name tag or something? Do they flat out say "Hi I'm a former JET?" Or is it just one of those things where you'll know who it is the second you enter the room?

simplesam
January 10th, 2016, 01:10

Yeah, I gotta say, I spent the few weeks before "preparing" and when I finally got there, the interview was totally different than what I expected. No questions about Japanese culture, no sample lesson, no "name the major islands or prime minister of Japan." Heck, they didn't even get to the "why JET?" and "why Japan?" questions until the end.

My interview was mostly if I was okay with taking the "break in my career" (I studied research science and music in uni) and asking about the different ESL work/tutoring experiences I've had and my teaching methods (I've done a LOT of work with Hispanic immigrants and migrant students).

Oh, and there was the part when the consulate general himself handed me a piece of paper with random pictures on it and told me he was gonna test my Japanese proficiency now...even though on my application I put down the ABSOLUTE lowest level of Japanese proficiency (familiar with basic greetings, no kanji or hiragana proficiency). :103: They said it was "just for fun" and not going to be scored, but considering I didn't make it that year...well, ya te digo, lol.

Shincantsen
January 10th, 2016, 01:12
This might sound like a really dumb question, but how will you know who the former JET in the room is? Are they wearing a name tag or something? Do they flat out say "Hi I'm a former JET?" Or is it just one of those things where you'll know who it is the second you enter the room?

In most cases, they'll be the one checking you in and who you have to give your interview voucher to. There probably won't be many other people in the waiting room, so it should be pretty obvious.

x_stei
January 10th, 2016, 01:23
If you interview with past JET participants, they'll probably mention it during your interview some time. They might not do that at the start so don't assume anything.

berikyuu
January 10th, 2016, 01:30
Oh, and there was the part when the consulate general himself handed me a piece of paper with random pictures on it and told me he was gonna test my Japanese proficiency now...even though on my application I put down the ABSOLUTE lowest level of Japanese proficiency (familiar with basic greetings, no kanji or hiragana proficiency). :103: They said it was "just for fun" and not going to be scored, but considering I didn't make it that year...well, ya te digo, lol.

Oh great lol! I've actually met the consulate general in New York a couple of times already because of a language proficiency award I received. And on the application (I think it was on a scale of 1 to 4?) I put my Japanese proficiency at a 2 (I know hiragana, katakana, a couple hundred kanji, and can carry on a basic conversation). I felt like that was a fair self evaluation because I definitely know more than just "konnichiwa", but I also can't translate formal documents or anything like that. Guess that means I better brush up just in case that comes up in my interview. :105:

In most cases, they'll be the one checking you in and who you have to give your interview voucher to. There probably won't be many other people in the waiting room, so it should be pretty obvious.

Oh ok. I wasn't sure if they just kinda stand in the room and do nothing or if there's more to that. Thanks for the info! :001:

WhiteFang
January 10th, 2016, 03:53
I have a stupid question. When they asked if we spoke any other language other than English and Japanese, I put I speak French (fair), because I took two years of it and could, most likely, survive in a French speaking country (though I read it better than I speak it). Do you think they'd test me on that in order to check my ability to learn language? Should I also be brushing up on my French just in case? Or am I overthinking this? That's also a possibility!

simplesam
January 10th, 2016, 04:14
I have a stupid question. When they asked if we spoke any other language other than English and Japanese, I put I speak French (fair), because I took two years of it and could, most likely, survive in a French speaking country (though I read it better than I speak it). Do you think they'd test me on that in order to check my ability to learn language? Should I also be brushing up on my French just in case? Or am I overthinking this? That's also a possibility!

Well, I'm a fluent Spanish speaker, and they didn't test me on it, probably because it wasn't relevant (although Spanish is in the top 5 languages spoken in Japan by some census reports). At the same time, a friend of mine (different JET year) was asked to sing a song in French because she put that she is semi fluent in it. I think it's luck of the draw, but it's probably negligible.

WhiteFang
January 10th, 2016, 04:19
Well, I'm a fluent Spanish speaker, and they didn't test me on it, probably because it wasn't relevant (although Spanish is in the top 5 languages spoken in Japan by some census reports). At the same time, a friend of mine (different JET year) was asked to sing a song in French because she put that she is semi fluent in it. I think it's luck of the draw, but it's probably negligible.

Oh dear. Well, I can sing Frere Jacques (and a handful of Disney songs in French).Does that count? :^_^:
Thanks for the tip. I'll prepare some French just in case.

simplesam
January 10th, 2016, 04:29
Oh dear. Well, I can sing Frere Jacques (and a handful of Disney songs in French).Does that count? :^_^:
Thanks for the tip. I'll prepare some French just in case.

Like I said, it's probably not a big deal. If you can introduce yourself in French, you'll be fine. I'd focus more on your Statement of Purpose and application. Each member of the your interview committee will have a copy of all your documents in front of them, so they're going to ask you about the things you put in there. I feel like when I went, they asked me one or two questions for every paragraph I wrote. At least.

WhiteFang
January 10th, 2016, 04:33
Like I said, it's probably not a big deal. If you can introduce yourself in French, you'll be fine. I'd focus more on your Statement of Purpose and application. Each member of the your interview committee will have a copy of all your documents in front of them, so they're going to ask you about the things you put in there. I feel like when I went, they asked me one or two questions for every paragraph I wrote. At least.

Okay! Thanks! I'm kind of nervous, so I'm probably overthinking everything! :) Again, thanks for the advice. I'll try to stop stressing!

ambrosse
January 10th, 2016, 07:21
A few notes on the Japanese portion of the interview:

-Everyone gets tested regardless of ability. It's a chance for your panel to see how you react under pressure of trying to read, listen, and speak in a Japanese-only situation.
-If your level is intermediate or lower, don't count on your skill being there for you when you need it most (You forget the simplest shit and it's embarrassing).
-The Japanese portion won't hurt your overall score, it can only help.

So.
Do brush up on your Japanese. Please remember that under a high pressure situation, you might forget everything.
It's a 50/50 chance -shrug-
I did terrible, but I still got here.

mcguiresa
January 10th, 2016, 09:30
Anybody interviewing in Detroit?? Anyone??

Rekrab
January 10th, 2016, 14:33

Thanks for pouring chlorine into the hiring pool.

acpc2203
January 10th, 2016, 14:58
Thanks for pouring chlorine into the hiring pool.
Your welcome

simplesam
January 10th, 2016, 20:21
Welcome Celeste! It seems like you're a shoe-in for the program, haha. Congrats on the interview! Buena Suerte! :D

Jiggit
January 10th, 2016, 20:50
(politics and international affairs are my life O.O lol). I really like other cultures and learning about issues in other countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPt0QetZ58U

celestialvision
January 10th, 2016, 21:12
Welcome Celeste! It seems like you're a shoe-in for the program, haha. Congrats on the interview! Buena Suerte! :D

I really hope so! And thank you so much! :)

celestialvision
January 10th, 2016, 21:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPt0QetZ58U

Sorry...guess I wrote too much. :/

berikyuu
January 11th, 2016, 05:08

Welcome Celeste! And no worries, your introduction was wonderful. Welcome aboard and good luck on your interview! I know you'll do great :003:

simplesam
January 11th, 2016, 05:16

Lol, if you look at my past posts, you will see that you may not be the only one with that problem...heh.

WhiteFang
January 11th, 2016, 05:24
I really hope so! And thank you so much! :)

Welcome! :) Are you ready for the interview?

is is anyone here interviewing in Atlanta?

Mouri
January 11th, 2016, 05:24
Heya everyone.

I've been browsing the posts here and haven't seen anyone else who was invited to the LA Consulate for an interview! Alas, here I am! Pretty stoked to see that email roll in. :)

for those who have had interviews before, do they give you a range of days to choose from? Or do they tell you the day and time of your interview?

Rekrab
January 11th, 2016, 05:38
Heya everyone.

I've been browsing the posts here and haven't seen anyone else who was invited to the LA Consulate for an interview! Alas, here I am! Pretty stoked to see that email roll in. :)

for those who have had interviews before, do they give you a range of days to choose from? Or do they tell you the day and time of your interview?

I'll be interviewing in LA as well. From what I've read, we'll choose from a range of days and times.

simplesam
January 11th, 2016, 05:39
They usually give you a range of days. Too many applicants for just one day of interviews.

Now the method for determining which slot you get can very. I've heard the process has changed over the years, but for the most part, you seem to have SOME say as to when you would like to interview. We were told to select our three best times last year and I remember getting a spot close to my first choice, but off by an hour or something like that.

celestialvision
January 11th, 2016, 06:16
Hey again!
Omg....so my original post, I had went back to edit the darn thing, but somehow it got deleted or something...sigh...I don't even remember all that I had said...
Well, brief description about me: I'm Celeste! B.A. Political Science, International Relations, Really love Japan! lol, Studied Japanese for 3 years (the struggle has been real! haha), Studied abroad in Osaka senior year and really enjoyed my experience, I like teaching so I see the JET Program as the best opportunity! haha Something like that.
Anyway, Thanks for the welcome! And yeah I will be interviewing in D.C. =) I have a friend who is on JET now who interviewed there. She would agree overall that it's best to not prepare too much since you don't know what they will throw at you, especially with the Japanese part. Also she stressed how it's important to be collected yet genki...Genki...GENKI!! haha So I guess I will do some mock interviews with a lot of energy to prepare!
My only real concern is getting a good time. I've read that early morning and after lunch were the best times to interview.

BabyKing
January 11th, 2016, 06:22
I'm interviewing in Atlanta as well! I'm nervous about whether I should stay overnight or not. My mom lives near Atlanta so I may just drive up the night before

celestialvision
January 11th, 2016, 06:23
Welcome Celeste! And no worries, your introduction was wonderful. Welcome aboard and good luck on your interview! I know you'll do great :003:

Thanks! I'm sure you will too!! :p Also I really hope you get Nara! You'll absolutely love it there!!

celestialvision
January 11th, 2016, 06:25
Lol, if you look at my past posts, you will see that you may not be the only one with that problem...heh.

Lmao!! Well I'm glad to not be alone in that!! :^_^:

WhiteFang
January 11th, 2016, 06:30
I'm interviewing in Atlanta as well! I'm nervous about whether I should stay overnight or not. My mom lives near Atlanta so I may just drive up the night before

Hey, cool! Someone else! I live near the South Carolina line, so I will most likely drive up the day before and get a hotel. It's always good to know where you're going beforehand. :)

Shincantsen
January 11th, 2016, 10:35
They usually give you a range of days. Too many applicants for just one day of interviews.

Now the method for determining which slot you get can very. I've heard the process has changed over the years, but for the most part, you seem to have SOME say as to when you would like to interview. We were told to select our three best times last year and I remember getting a spot close to my first choice, but off by an hour or something like that.

This is entirely dependent on where you're interviewing. Some consulates let you choose your date from a calendar, some will just assign you a date and time.

simplesam
January 11th, 2016, 11:12
This is entirely dependent on where you're interviewing. Some consulates let you choose your date from a calendar, some will just assign you a date and time.

Yeah, I remember reading that on Word's Formerly Secret Advice. Most of the people I know who interviewed with JET (which admittedly only covers 4 consulates, I think...) had a choice in their interview. I wonder if anyone here on the forums had a luck-of-the-draw interview time experience...

acpc2203
January 11th, 2016, 13:24
For mine I just said I was available at certain times. Got the last interview of the day.

Rekrab
January 12th, 2016, 05:53
Los Angeles consulate sent out interview times and dates for scheduling.

simplesam
January 12th, 2016, 06:06
Los Angeles consulate sent out interview times and dates for scheduling.

You guys didn't get a choice?

Rekrab
January 12th, 2016, 06:17
You guys didn't get a choice?

We did. That's why I said "for scheduling." :^_^:

simplesam
January 12th, 2016, 06:25
Lol, well, clearly I need to learn to read.

This is what happens when you are reading in one language and speaking in another. >_<

WhiteFang
January 12th, 2016, 07:50
Doesn't look like Atlanta is given a choice. Our email says we will be contacted soon with our assigned dates and times.

berikyuu
January 12th, 2016, 08:35
^Same with New York. :/

Cbill1
January 12th, 2016, 08:42
Yeah, I remember reading that on Word's Formerly Secret Advice. Most of the people I know who interviewed with JET (which admittedly only covers 4 consulates, I think...) had a choice in their interview. I wonder if anyone here on the forums had a luck-of-the-draw interview time experience...

I did. They sent me the date and time without me choosing anything.

I ended up with a nice Thursday afternoon interview, and ended up shortlisted, so I can't complain.

simplesam
January 12th, 2016, 17:18
I'm starting to feel pretty fortunate that we get to state our preferences in Houston...we don't get to select times, but we get to select preferences from a list of days, each with a morning/afternoon slot.

fryfry
January 13th, 2016, 10:28
sup.

I was gonna post a 2016 interview possibly-Q&A thread... but I see this is already kinda goin' on!
Anyway, small question. On the release form I was emailed, I see a condition that says you agree not to discuss the questions or topics of the interview outside of the interview. Had a very "Do not talk about Fight Club" kinda feel. I don't think it's a big deal, 'cause I'm a real play-by-the-rules kind of guy. But I wonder how far this really carries, since we're all kinda talking about it here.

By the way, name's Paul, I'll be interviewing in Portland OR. Congrats to everyone here, I hope I get to meet some of you. :)

naginataonthebrain
January 13th, 2016, 10:43
I mean, don't post details publicly on social media. But you can get away with messaging folks one-on-one (unless they rat you out).

Frap
January 13th, 2016, 10:45
pls all american applicants can you resist the temptation to grab the microphone at tokyo orientation and subsequent "skills" conferences if/when you're successful thank you from every other cuntry

fryfry
January 13th, 2016, 10:52
pls all american applicants can you resist the temptation to grab the microphone at tokyo orientation and subsequent "skills" conferences if/when you're successful thank you from every other cuntrywell, now that you told me NOT to...

simplesam
January 13th, 2016, 10:55
well, now that you told me NOT to...

What does not mean again? It means "as much possible" right? Is that the American Dream my grandfather went on about?

fryfry
January 13th, 2016, 10:57
I mean, don't post details publicly on social media. But you can get away with messaging folks one-on-one (unless they rat you out).
thanks. yeah, I understand there's a reason for the policy. I'm not super-worried about it; I just don't have any other questions. :/

fryfry
January 13th, 2016, 10:58
What does not mean again? It means "as much possible" right? Is that the American Dream my grandfather went on about?
I'm pretty sure it means "sing like you're at a karaoke bar."

acpc2203
January 13th, 2016, 11:04
pls all american applicants can you resist the temptation to grab the microphone at tokyo orientation and subsequent "skills" conferences if/when you're successful thank you from every other cuntry
You telling me what to do filthy foreigner??

Frap
January 13th, 2016, 11:08
You telling me what to do filthy foreigner??

lol i cant imagine u wud ever stand up and speak despite your obnoxious nationality!

acpc2203
January 13th, 2016, 11:10
lol i cant imagine u wud ever stand up and speak despite your obnoxious nationality!
You are right, I was/will be severely hungover and unable to stand let alone speak.

simplesam
January 13th, 2016, 11:24
I'm pretty sure it means "sing like you're at a karaoke bar."

Done. Half of being Mexican is loudly singing in public. The other half is just being loud.

Frap
January 13th, 2016, 11:45
Done. Half of being Mexican is loudly singing in public. The other half is just being loud.

are you hairy?

simplesam
January 13th, 2016, 11:50
are you hairy?

Well, let's put it this way, my father got expelled from the 7th grade because he had a full length Amish beard. I was slow...mine didn't come in until 8th grade.

Frap
January 13th, 2016, 11:51
i didnt mean your face :l

simplesam
January 13th, 2016, 11:54
...I plead the fifth...

I won't ever freeze to death, that's for sure, lol.

fryfry
January 13th, 2016, 12:40
Ugh, I'm starting to realize why some JETs don't like looking back on their SOPs. Rereading my first paragraph, and I already want to drop the thing.

simplesam
January 13th, 2016, 13:25
Ugh, I'm starting to realize why some JETs don't like looking back on their SOPs. Rereading my first paragraph, and I already want to drop the thing.

...uhh, keep reading, it gets better? :popcorn:

Lol, I had, like, 20 people read mine over and over and over again. I worked so hard on it, I actually kinda forgot about the whole application thing and had to scramble to finish it. I kinda had to pour everything into the SOP, though, because I didn't feel like I had strong letters of recommendation.

Frap
January 13th, 2016, 13:34
...I plead the fifth...

I won't ever freeze to death, that's for sure, lol.

raunch

fryfry
January 13th, 2016, 13:54
...uhh, keep reading, it gets better? :popcorn:

Lol, I had, like, 20 people read mine over and over and over again. I worked so hard on it, I actually kinda forgot about the whole application thing and had to scramble to finish it. I kinda had to pour everything into the SOP, though, because I didn't feel like I had strong letters of recommendation.

I did read. It did get better. I just feel like there's so much stuff in the first half of the essay I have to justify. If I was an interviewer I would certainly want me to elaborate on it.

I also asked about a bajillion people to go over mine. :lol: I think the proofreaders it benefited from most were the ones from this site, one dude REALLY overhauled it and helped me cut out the fat.
yeah, weird how that app deadline can sneak up on yah huh? I had told myself that I was going to submit it the day that applications opened up, but of course life issues reared their ugly heads and told me to take care of them. Still ended up getting it to D.C. a week early (two if you count the deadline extension), but it felt late.

simplesam
January 13th, 2016, 14:14
I did read. It did get better. I just feel like there's so much stuff in the first half of the essay I have to justify. If I was an interviewer I would certainly want me to elaborate on it.

I also asked about a bajillion people to go over mine. :lol: I think the proofreaders it benefited from most were the ones from this site, one dude REALLY overhauled it and helped me cut out the fat.

Honestly, THE BEST thing to do for interview prep is just hand off your SOP to someone and have them ask you hypothetical questions based off of it. It helped me out tremendously the first time around; besides the surprise Japanese portion and the basic "Why JET? Why Japan?" question set, I can't think of any other question that wasn't take out of my SOP and application (but mostly the SOP). They actually had the SOP in front of them and basically read it off to me with questions and commentary.

fryfry
January 13th, 2016, 15:02
That seems like an incredibly good idea, and so simple. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

WhiteFang
January 13th, 2016, 22:54

My SOP is terrible! :| I'm still wondering how I got an interview! I'm sure yours is great!

Good advice about having someone read it and then ask questions! I might do that! (If I can find anyone. People around here are tired of me talking about it!) Thanks!

simplesam
January 13th, 2016, 23:26
Good advice about having someone read it and then ask questions! I might do that! (If I can find anyone. People around here are tired of me talking about it!) Thanks!

I'm pretty sure if you ask nicely, people on here might give it a look-see and give you some hypothetical questions.

fryfry
January 14th, 2016, 03:12
Actually I do have another question. Would it help at all to BRING something to the interview? I mean, besides your bad self and good-lookin' threads. (And the voucher, of course, ahem.) For example, I mention in my SOP that I took Japanese calligraphy classes in San Francisco. I actually saved one of the characters I composed in brush strokes. Is it out of the realm of possibility that having this on hand would help me in the interview?

fryfry
January 14th, 2016, 03:16
My SOP is terrible! :| I'm still wondering how I got an interview! I'm sure yours is great!

Thanks man. I am overly self-critical about anything I create, really. Normally I run stuff through the mill of double-checks and minor corrections at least 1,000 times before finally submitting it to whomever. I'm sure yours is better than you think, too.

simplesam
January 14th, 2016, 03:21
If you read Word's Formerly Secret Interview Advice, he advises against taking objects. I am inclined to agree. They'll probably be viewed as props.

Keep in mind, there will be a former JET in the interview with you and they will likely be your the harshest critic.

Don't think so much about giving them the ole razzle dazzle. Just knock out with how "Genki!!!" you are and show you can take whatever odd hypothetical situation they'll throw at you.

simplesam
January 14th, 2016, 03:30
I'm sure yours is better than you think, too.

The first year I applied, I looked up some of the SOPs that former JETs had posted on the old unofficial JET. Some were good, but some were pretty horrendous. I think y'all probably aren't giving yourselves enough credit, lol.

WhiteFang
January 14th, 2016, 03:30
Thanks man. I am overly self-critical about anything I create, really. Normally I run stuff through the mill of double-checks and minor corrections at least 1,000 times before finally submitting it to whomever. I'm sure yours is better than you think, too.

I had a few beta readers and I spent several nights rewriting it and reading it out loud before sending it off to a teacher to be proofread. It was the most I've worked on a two page essay ever! I was terrified to submit it, honestly. Sounds like you put a lot of work into yours, and I guess we both did something right, because we both have interviews! :)

@Sam

So I shouldn't bring lesson plans? :)

Shincantsen
January 14th, 2016, 06:36
Actually I do have another question. Would it help at all to BRING something to the interview? I mean, besides your bad self and good-lookin' threads. (And the voucher, of course, ahem.) For example, I mention in my SOP that I took Japanese calligraphy classes in San Francisco. I actually saved one of the characters I composed in brush strokes. Is it out of the realm of possibility that having this on hand would help me in the interview?

Sam (and word) are right, best not to bring anything in with you to the interview. In some Consulates, they won't even allow you to bring anything in at all for security reasons.

fryfry
January 14th, 2016, 06:57
Sam (and word) are right, best not to bring anything in with you to the interview. In some Consulates, they won't even allow you to bring anything in at all for security reasons.
*looks at your username, avatar...* haha, I get it. :P

and thank you for the feedback.

simplesam
January 14th, 2016, 07:07
So I shouldn't bring lesson plans? :)

Jaja, I feel like if you brought them, they would INTENTIONALLY not ask you to do a sample lesson. You misunderstand. That former JET isn't there to help you. They're there to crush your dreams of following in their footsteps, either out of spite or smug superiority. In their opinion, Japan is too kawaii for a couple of otaku noobs like us, lol. 😆

WhiteFang
January 14th, 2016, 07:20
Jaja, I feel like if you brought them, they would INTENTIONALLY not ask you to do a sample lesson. You misunderstand. That former JET isn't there to help you. They're there to crush your dreams of following in their footsteps, either out of spite or smug superiority. In their opinion, Japan is too kawaii for a couple of otaku noobs like us, lol. ������

Well, if that's the case, then I should bring a lesson plan to avoid the sample lesson! Lol
They cannot crush my hopes and dreams! They've already tried! Many teachers have tried to talk me out of this program over the years! I don't listen to reason, so I pushed forward! ^^

By the way, did you pick a placement preference? (Out of curiosity!)

simplesam
January 14th, 2016, 07:35
I did! I'm hoping for Hamamatsu. It's the music capital of Japan, home to the Yamaha corporation (big time musical equipment manufacturers - and motorcycles too, ironically), has a few music museums, and hosts several international music festivals. As an amateur musician, it's a dream come true. I'd love the place, even if it wasn't Japan (but that does totally sweeten the deal :D). Their University also specializes in the neuroscience research I worked on, so that's also a plus.

My other choices where Chiba (sister city to Houston) and Shizuoka. Both cities apparently have higher than average Latino populations and it would be interesting to experience Japanese culture from their perspective as well as speak the mother tongue without having to call back home, lol.

WhiteFang
January 14th, 2016, 07:55
Looks like you put a lot of thought into your placements! That's great! My music career begins and ends with the clarinet! Though I do make music videos in my spare time!

My choices were Nara, Kyoto and a third one near a military base because I have access to those for a little while longer! :)

simplesam
January 14th, 2016, 08:06
Looks like you put a lot of thought into your placements! That's great! My music career begins and ends with the clarinet! Though I do make music videos in my spare time!

My choices were Nara, Kyoto and a third one near a military base because I have access to those for a little while longer! :)

You make music videos!? Super Shway! Did you study film or anything like that, or is it just a hobby!?

What do you mean by you have access to those for a little while longer?

WhiteFang
January 14th, 2016, 08:19
I am a self taught video maker! :) I've won a handful of awards for it as well. It's just a hobby! I went to school for teaching!

When I turn 26, my military ID expires and I can't get on the bases anymore. But until then, I can get on.

simplesam
January 14th, 2016, 08:31
I am a self taught video maker! :) I've won a handful of awards for it as well. It's just a hobby! I went to school for teaching!

When I turn 26, my military ID expires and I can't get on the bases anymore. But until then, I can get on.

That is too cool! Maybe if both make it into JET, we should work on a collaboration. :P

Military ID, eh? Were you in the service or an army brat?

Frap
January 14th, 2016, 08:36
That is too cool! Maybe if both make it into JET, we should work on a collaboration. :P

i'll do hair n makeup, jiggit can be front man, ini can play bass and ananas can get held at security

WhiteFang
January 14th, 2016, 08:41

that would be cool! I've directs a handful of live action ones as well as animated ones!

Navy Brat, actually. :) my dad was on submarines for a while.

simplesam
January 14th, 2016, 08:46
i'll do hair n makeup, jiggit can be front man, ini can play bass and ananas can get held at security

Are we making a music video or an avant garde psychological thriller/comedy/indie romance/slasher/road trip film?

...okay, now we HAVE to do it.

@WhiteFang Fun times shall be had for all! At the risk of showing my inner hipster, I can tell that "We're Gonna Be Friends."

(Get it....White Fang...White Strips...) *crickets*

Virgil
January 14th, 2016, 08:50
I'm the obvious frontman here. Get real. Jiggit is backup vocals and sexy dance.

Jiggit
January 14th, 2016, 08:54
I'm the obvious frontman here. Get real. Jiggit is backup vocals and sexy dance.

Settle down, bucko. You're the McCartney to my Lennon.

Frap
January 14th, 2016, 08:57
...okay, now we HAVE to do it.

by hair n makeup im referring to ALL hair.............................

simplesam
January 14th, 2016, 09:06
by hair n makeup im referring to ALL hair.............................

...you will never let this go, will you?.... ><

WhiteFang
January 14th, 2016, 09:25
Lol! Well, I have written scripts too! So we all have to meet up at orientation! Sounds good!

And yeah... That joke went over my head! Sorry!

NatDoug
January 15th, 2016, 01:13
Hey Everybody, I know this is an "Aspiring US JETs 2016" thread, but I'm from Jamaica so there is not much of us on here. Anyway, our interviews actually started this week. I had mine yesterday at the Japan Embassy here in Kingston, Jamaica. Our application process I believe is a bit different than the US although I am not sure of the specifics.

WhiteFang
January 15th, 2016, 01:29
Hey Everybody, I know this is an "Aspiring US JETs 2016", but I'm from Jamaica so there is not much of us on here. Anyway, our interviews actually started this week. I had mine yesterday at the Japan Embassy here in Kingston, Jamaica. Our application process I believe is a bit different than the US although I am not sure of the specifics.

Welcome from Georgia! :) I really hope your interview went well! Do you feel good about it?

simplesam
January 15th, 2016, 04:33
Hey Everybody, I know this is an "Aspiring US JETs 2016", but I'm from Jamaica so there is not much of us on here. Anyway, our interviews actually started this week. I had mine yesterday at the Japan Embassy here in Kingston, Jamaica. Our application process I believe is a bit different than the US although I am not sure of the specifics.

Bienvenido/Welcome from South Texas/North Mexico! I second WhiteFang's questions: how did feel your interview went? I know you're not supposed to give specifics, but did you think you rocked it!?

NatDoug
January 15th, 2016, 04:52
Well in Jamaica we didn't have to sign any other forms apart from our applications so I don't think It would be an issue to speak on specifics. My interview was about 40 mins. One of the longest of the day I've been told (not sure if that's good or bad). I think it went well though. A panel of three persons and the questions are the general ones you always here about and one specifically asked based on your SOP.

WhiteFang
January 15th, 2016, 08:11
Sounds like you rocked that interview! Good job! :) I've got someone drafting questions and we have a five hour car ride tomorrow! Looks like I know what I will be doing!

congrats on getting through your interview and doing well! Mine isn't for another 2-3 weeks, unfortunately! Good job and I hope you make it in! :)

simplesam
January 15th, 2016, 08:32
Agreed! Sounds like you crushed it! How long do you have to wait for the results over there?

Virgil
January 15th, 2016, 08:35
Bienvenido/Welcome from South Texas/North Mexico! I second WhiteFang's questions: how did feel your interview went? I know you're not supposed to give specifics, but did you think you rocked it!?

Oh, we're from the same place. I can see why you want to leave. Valley guy?

NatDoug
January 15th, 2016, 08:35
Our results are normally out by late March or early April. I applied for the July/August group though.

simplesam
January 15th, 2016, 08:39
Oh, we're from the same place. I can see why you want to leave. Valley guy?

Holy crap, seriously? This is freaking crazy....small world...

Yeah, I'm from mid Valley (Weslaco, Mercedes, Donna), you?I

Frap
January 15th, 2016, 08:45
now kiss

Virgil
January 15th, 2016, 08:48
Holy crap, seriously? This is freaking crazy....small world...

Yeah, I'm from Weslaco, you?

I'm from [REDACTED] which isn't really the valley - but it's close enough, and probably worse. You really are from North Mexico.

There is actually a JET in my prefecture who is from a tiny ass town near mine.

simplesam
January 15th, 2016, 08:50
now kiss

Idk, we may have already, lol.

Virgil
January 15th, 2016, 08:51
now kiss

I can show him to love a man. You wouldn't believe the sexual repression that goes on down there.

Frap
January 15th, 2016, 09:05
I believe it, lol.

simplesam
January 15th, 2016, 09:12
You wouldn't believe the sexual repression that goes on down there.

Nothing like a lack of public health awareness and outdated, old-world Hispanic opinions on your place in life to increase the teenage birthrate.

If you make it out of adolescents without a child out of wedlock, you are considered a success story here. I wish I was joking. :/

EDIT: Not meant to be offensive to anyone. I guess I should have put a trigger warning with that...

Rekrab
January 15th, 2016, 09:32
Nothing like a lack of public health awareness and outdated, old-world Hispanic opinions on your place in life to increase the teenage birthrate.

If you make it out of adolescents without a child out of wedlock, you are considered a success story here. I wish I was joking. :/

EDIT: Not meant to be offensive to anyone that happens to. I guess I should have put a trigger warning with that...

Oh man. I'm from the LA area and that attitude is huge here too. A friend of mine is a single 29 year old Mexican woman and she gets an enormous amount of pressure to just have a kid. Like, don't worry about a husband, just get that baby factory going. It's nuts.

Jiggit
January 15th, 2016, 09:45
If you make it out of adolescents

A strong pull-out game is pretty necessary if you're going to be doing it raw with JK I guess.

Virgil
January 15th, 2016, 10:16
A strong pull-out game is pretty necessary if you're going to be doing it raw with JK I guess.

Just swing like me and Frap - no worries.

Frap
January 15th, 2016, 10:17
Just swing like me and Frap - no worries.

do NOT lump me in ur filthy bi-boat

Virgil
January 15th, 2016, 10:21
do NOT lump me in ur filthy bi-boat

I don't know, I'm becoming more gay by the day.

acpc2203
January 15th, 2016, 12:28
Not if you are shooting blanks.

Satori Shinobi
January 15th, 2016, 14:39
Not if you are shooting blanks.

Brandon Lee faked his death that way...
*tips fedora*

mrcharisma
January 17th, 2016, 09:03
Never knew Virgil was a Happy Shopper? Always came across as completely dull and asexual to me.

KyMLS
January 18th, 2016, 23:43
Hiya,

I'm jumping into this conversation now that I know I'll be interviewing. My husband and I both got interviews, back-to-back on the same day, which is a huge relief as Nashville hotels are expensive! I'm a youth services librarian, he's an artist, we're both older aspiring JETs. I like to over prepare for everything, so I'm making stacks and stacks of notes and sample lesson plans for the interview. My husband is more fortunate as he's been studying Asian art and politics for the last year in school. I work with teens and children and ran an ESL tutoring program and provided literacy services for ESL students as a librarian. I think together we make a pretty ideal candidate, but now we've got to make ourselves look good as individuals! Hello, hello, hello. Thank you for having me!

x_stei
January 19th, 2016, 15:55
Hiya,

I'm jumping into this conversation now that I know I'll be interviewing. My husband and I both got interviews, back-to-back on the same day, which is a huge relief as Nashville hotels are expensive! I'm a youth services librarian, he's an artist, we're both older aspiring JETs. I like to over prepare for everything, so I'm making stacks and stacks of notes and sample lesson plans for the interview. My husband is more fortunate as he's been studying Asian art and politics for the last year in school. I work with teens and children and ran an ESL tutoring program and provided literacy services for ESL students as a librarian. I think together we make a pretty ideal candidate, but now we've got to make ourselves look good as individuals! Hello, hello, hello. Thank you for having me!

Hello! congratulations on getting an interview! To you and your husband.

Academic background doesn't matter so much for acceptance into JET. Plenty of Japanese majors don't get accepted. For the interview, it's how your JET experience will affect and influence your career, if it does at all, that will make or break your interview. Your husband doesn't really have much of an advantage over you I don't think.

Over-preparation is fine, but I wouldn't stress too much on the mock lesson. They are looking for how you will be as a teacher, and your attitude towards teaching. Plenty of people mess up the mock lesson just to get accepted. *points to self*

I would focus on the above-mentioned career question, and why you would be a good candidate. Those are top two questions that you could be asked IMO.

Otherwise I think you guys sound like good candidates. Good luck!

acpc2203
January 19th, 2016, 16:40
I felt like a lot of the interview was about how well you thought on your feet and how confident you seemed.

WhiteFang
January 19th, 2016, 23:36
Hiya,

Welcome and congrats! I know about over preparing and overthinking things!

Good luck in your interview! I'm still waiting to hear when mine is. Atlanta is slow!

mothy
January 20th, 2016, 09:24
Whoa, save some exclamation points for the rest of us.

Frap
January 20th, 2016, 09:38

i laugh audibly and sternwoman-sensei looked at me

acpc2203
January 20th, 2016, 12:29
Glad to see someone fighting the good fight for exclamation point conservation.

Virgil
January 21st, 2016, 10:08
Never knew Virgil was a Happy Shopper? Always came across as completely dull and asexual to me.

That's creepily perceptive.

SupaSmash
January 21st, 2016, 10:48
Hello everybody. (This is my first post) I have a question. I received an email from the Jet Office saying that I got an interview and that I will be told the date and time later. I haven't received any contact since then. The interviews, according to the email, start on the 29th. I am getting worried that I have been overlooked. Should I keep waiting or email the Jet Office?

Thank you for your time

SupaSmash
January 21st, 2016, 14:18
I am as well. I am interviewing in Atlanta and live in NC. I am glad somebody else is in the same boat as me. I was beginning to think I was overlooked.

simplesam
January 21st, 2016, 17:06
I am as well. I am interviewing in Atlanta and live in NC. I am glad somebody else is in the same boat as me. I was beginning to think I was overlooked.

Welcome! BabyKing and WhiteFang are interviewing there, too, so if they log in they may be able to help you out with that. I don't remember if they mentioned getting their interview times and dates yet...

Mouri
January 22nd, 2016, 14:16
When I submitted my interview time preferences, the Consulate emailed me back saying I might not learn my time until 1/28 at the latest.

It seems rather unprofessional that they give such short notice, but hey, that's how they work.

So I wouldn't say you were overlooked; they're probably quite busy so I'd suggest giving them a call. They can best give you an ETA!

mothy
January 22nd, 2016, 14:48
It seems rather unprofessional

Now you understand the process!

webstaa
January 22nd, 2016, 15:27
Hell, it's probably better than most mass hiring processes. The few large scale interviews I've been to have been, "Great, you qualify for an interview, give us your contact info and we'll call you 24 hours before your interview date." But then again, those were for rather large insurance and medical companies.

I knew my JET interview date 3 weeks before. Although it doesn't and wouldn't surprise me that a consulate or two is behind the ball in getting these things done with the sheer amount of red tape and procedural BS involved.

Cbill1
January 22nd, 2016, 16:00
When I submitted my interview time preferences, the Consulate emailed me back saying I might not learn my time until 1/28 at the latest.

It seems rather unprofessional that they give such short notice, but hey, that's how they work.

You're gonna love Japan.

WhiteFang
January 23rd, 2016, 00:13
Hello everybody. (This is my first post) I have a question. I received an email from the Jet Office saying that I got an interview and that I will be told the date and time later. I haven't received any contact since then. The interviews, according to the email, start on the 29th. I am getting worried that I have been overlooked. Should I keep waiting or email the Jet Office?

Thank you for your time

Hey! Sorry I haven't been on. I got mine yesterday, so I'm assuming you did as well. :) I was surprised, really. I was assuming they wouldn't contact us until today, giving us one week in advance before the interviews started. I'm interviewing on the 1st. You?

Oh, and welcome and congrats for getting the interview. :)

SupaSmash
January 23rd, 2016, 05:17
Hey. Thank you for your help. I did get mine yesterday :). My interview is on the 2nd, but I will be there on the first to make sure I am there on time and find the right room.

I can't wait though. If I get in it will be awesome.

WhiteFang
January 23rd, 2016, 07:21
Yeah, that's smart. I'm going to Atlanta the night before! Maybe we'll see each other!

Where are you coming from, if you don't mind me asking? Long drive for you?

SupaSmash
January 23rd, 2016, 08:33
It would be pretty cool to meet another aspiring Jet. I am coming from the Charlotte area of NC. Probably about a four or five hour drive.

I have never been to Atlanta, but bringing a friend who knows the area some. How about you?

WhiteFang
January 23rd, 2016, 08:49
It would be. :) I'm heading from Augusta, so it's only a couple hours away, but I'm still coming up the day before just to make sure I don't run into any problems.

Ive been to Atlanta many times. Usually I only go for the airport, but my sister got married over there, so I know the area pretty well.

KyMLS
January 23rd, 2016, 09:17
What is everyone doing to prepare for their interviews? I'm weirdly stressed about things that are likely less important in an interview, like JET blogs that mention random trivia questions like "what are your 3 favorite Japanese such-and-such." Or freezing up during a mock lesson, even though improvising public speaking is basically what I do at work every day.

I'm also just super excited to have a day off work with my husband to stay in a nice hotel in Nashville. Any other Nashville applicants?

simplesam
January 23rd, 2016, 11:11
What is everyone doing to prepare for their interviews? I'm weirdly stressed about things that are likely less important in an interview, like JET blogs that mention random trivia questions like "what are your 3 favorite Japanese such-and-such." Or freezing up during a mock lesson, even though improvising public speaking is basically what I do at work every day.

I'm going over the stuff that I felt was weak from my interview last year, which for me was a couple of the "Why Japan?" type questions. I didn't really like the answers I gave last time. Also want to make sure that I'm solid on the stuff I put in my SOP and application because they ask most of their questions out of those.

My main fear right now is actually my hair. I've been growing my hair out since last years interview, literally - the last time I cut it was this time last year, lol. My hair isn't obscenely long, but it's almost shoulder length and gets in my face if I don't style it back or wear a hat/beanie. Unfortunately, it's pretty messy looking what with all my haphazardly wavy locks. I'm TERRIFIED of cutting it because I like it and it takes forever to grow (it doesn't help that I just got invited to join a punk band), but I need to do something. Trying to see if I can find a conservative longish cut and sweep it back, Spanish-style, but that might not be conservative enough for a Japanese job interview. I saw a bunch of people last year interview with shaggy hair, but I don't want to risk it. It would suck to lose out on JET because of my hair... :'(

Tl;dr I need a haircut, but I'm being a baby about it.

mothy
January 23rd, 2016, 11:16
I really doubt your hair will play a role. Long hair, short hair, dreadlocks... I've seen it all when it comes to JET hair.

fryfry
January 23rd, 2016, 12:58

I'm also just super excited to have a day off work with my husband to stay in a nice hotel in Nashville. Any other Nashville applicants?

From what I've heard, the biggest obstacle for me might be just rolling with the punches if they ask any questions that seem weird or out of left field. I've read that knowing how to improv/conversate in anxiety-inducing situations might be the best way to prepare for JET work. So I'm generally trying to practice my interactions with people at my current job and strangers I meet, and spending time thinking about that.
Aside from that, my main focus for preparing is looking over my SOP/application and noting the areas on which I might get asked questions and my responses. Admittedly, it is difficult to find a friend or co-worker who could help me mock-interview me the way a JET might, but I am practicing that way as well. It really helps you to analyze not only your responses, but your presence when answering such questions.
Last but not least, I have quit biting my nails cold-turkey and am pretty confident they won't look like a zombie's by next Thursday.

Hypno-Bro
January 23rd, 2016, 16:26
Hi guys,

I've also been accepted for an interview! I'm in Colorado!

Thought it would be cool to join in and start connecting with more JET hopefuls. I'm really excited and also a bit nervous.
Afraid I might be over-preparing...
Stoked to talk and share/receive advice from everyone (and a couple of colorful characters) I've noticed posting on this forum. Glad I found it.

Night guys,
See ya in the morning. :)

moonbeam
January 23rd, 2016, 17:08
Don't stress about the interview, seriously. The first year, I over prepared and sounded like a robot and could not relax. I got alternate and never upgraded. Last year, I hardly prepared at all. My hair was a wind blown from the twenty minute walk to the embassy (bring a brush) and the collar to my jacket was all bunched up and I didn't notice until after I got home. I felt like a hot mess but I was able to laugh about it with my interviewers and it set the tone for the interview. It was relaxed and actually fun.

I wouldn't worry so much about Japan related things though. The interviewers want to know about you so come knowing what you love about your hometown and state. For example, I was asked what three things I would bring from my state to Japan.

Just be your self with a touch of professionalism.

Hypno-Bro
January 23rd, 2016, 17:27
Thanks friend!

I really appreciate it. I will do my best not to stress for it.

I am certainly finding it to be the case that the interview seems to be more focused on character and under-stress behaviors rather than knowledge and teaching capability. (Though that may be important as well)

By the way, about that question - would it be better to answer truthfully or choose the best three culturally relevant items to bring? I feel like for a lot of these questions there has to be a somewhat forcing of a truthful answer mixed with JET answers. Know what I mean? Like giving the best answer rather than the right answer... if that makes sense...

:l

simplesam
January 23rd, 2016, 17:38
Welcome!

As far as answering goes, you certainly want to be honest and not just say what they want you to. They're really looking for personality, not the "right" answer. It would probably work against you if you sounded rehearsed or practiced in your response. Plus you never know; one of your honest answers may be so unique compared to all the standard ones, it would help you stand out more and give you a significant point increase come scoring time.

moonbeam
January 23rd, 2016, 22:16
Well, the question is related to what you would teach your students, because you are going to be teaching about your culture after all. So what three things would you bring to teach about your state or hometown or whatever. In that case I would choose something unique and culturally different to what my students are used to. I think I ended up choosing something like my state flag, laffy taffy, and an Edgar Allen Poe book. Those sound strange put together but if you can back up your answers with a why then I think you'll be okay.

KyMLS
January 24th, 2016, 01:08
This is all really helpful advice so far! I did initially begin preparing with a desire to be overly prepared, but now I'm thinking I should be a little looser and spend more time going through my my SOP and application. I feel fairly ready for the questions intended to see my reaction to stress. I've worked in public libraries for 6 years, literally nothing can surprise me anymore.

It's nice that both my husband and I are going through this process together. We've been randomly asking each other questions based on our SOP's over the last few days and prompting each other with situational questions. We've also been immersing ourselves in Japanese films over our snow week, which has been really fun and I feel like it's helping me put Japan in a better cultural and historical context.

fryfry
January 24th, 2016, 03:05
Welcome!

As far as answering goes, you certainly want to be honest and not just say what they want you to. They're really looking for personality, not the "right" answer. It would probably work against you if you sounded rehearsed or practiced in your response. Plus you never know; one of your honest answers may be so unique compared to all the standard ones, it would help you stand out more and give you a significant point increase come scoring time.

ahh, I was wondering whether or not to say I'd want to bring my old IBM Thinkpad. It's a computer I've put a lot of effort into maintaining, so it's almost more of a personal item than a tool. :x

fryfry
January 24th, 2016, 03:06
Well, the question is related to what you would teach your students, because you are going to be teaching about your culture after all. So what three things would you bring to teach about your state or hometown or whatever. In that case I would choose something unique and culturally different to what my students are used to. I think I ended up choosing something like my state flag, laffy taffy, and an Edgar Allen Poe book. Those sound strange put together but if you can back up your answers with a why then I think you'll be okay.
good to think about as well.

Hypno-Bro
January 24th, 2016, 14:24
Awesome! Thanks guys.

This is really cool. I'm glad I signed up to hear others going exactly through what I am going (selfish reason) but I am also glad because it seems like we are already connecting even before being in JET. :D

By the way if anyone would like some prayer feel free to ask :)

simplesam
January 25th, 2016, 13:55
ahh, I was wondering whether or not to say I'd want to bring my old IBM Thinkpad. It's a computer I've put a lot of effort into maintaining, so it's almost more of a personal item than a tool. :x

It should still kinda related to teaching. As moonbeam said, think "how can this be used to help cultural exchange," not just "what makes me special/unique." Although, tbh, that is pretty cool, lol.

ambrosse
January 25th, 2016, 16:19
Man, y'all just work too hard.
Forget practicing anything past "Why JET, Why Japan, Why Me" and relax...
The ability to impromptu-anything (talk out your ass) here is extremely important.

Frap
January 25th, 2016, 16:36
I didn't get asked why JET/Japan at all.

Jiggit
January 25th, 2016, 16:51
I didn't get asked why JET/Japan at all.

It's one of those Murican things that they expect you to show you care by making a Miss Universe speech.

simplesam
January 25th, 2016, 17:18
Man, y'all just work too hard.

Probably, but as an alternate that was never upgraded from last year, I'm stuck in that "what could I have done better" mindset. I'd hate to be rejected or, worse, alternate again (I don't think I can take another half year of wishful thinking...).