PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances?

BabyKing
November 7th, 2015, 04:37
Hello everyone,

I just sent in my application and would like to just gauge everyone's opinion on what would be on my chances of getting into the JET Program.
1) Senior Graduating in May 2016 with a 2.86 GPA and a degree in Poli Sci Concentration International Relations
2) 22 yrs Black Female
3) Works part-time as an Administrative Assistant
4) Summer 2015 was spent teaching at an English Summer Camp overseas
5) Cheer Coach for 3yrs
6) Volunteer with an organization that assists young adults with special needs
7) Volunteer with local international organization in it's Afrian and Asian departments (which is also how I got to teach overseas for a summer
8) Volunteer to read to K-5 students
9) Speak 3 languages (English(Native), French(Reading & Conversation), and Chinese(Basic Conversation)) but no Japanese skill at all....Kanji whaaaaa
10) I wish to be a TESOL teacher one day in the states after teaching abroad for some years and I think that JET fits perfectly into this plan

I'm afraid that my GPA will hurt me since I did not address it in my SOP because I had so much else to talk about and didn't want to dwell on the negative. I am afraid that since I live in an area that competes with lots of students with top schools I will be overlooked based on my school. I couldn't afford a top ticket school even though I did get into my first two choices, I'd end up hanging myself in debt lol but I think that might hurt me since I didn't go to a name-brand school. My hobbies have nothing to do with Japan (no anime watching or manga reading or karate) but I do have a love of world history and culture. Working in the Asian department with my organization is what sparked my interest in Japan and I touched on this in my SOP. I only spent 2-3 sentences on why Japan and focused mostly on why JET and what I can do for JET based on my past teaching and coaching experiences. Will it hurt me that I didn't talk more about Japan? I've read a lot of SOP's about how ever since a person was 6 they've been in love with Japan but I'm not like that. I think Japan is cool and all but I'm not obsessed, I really am more focused on the opportunity to teach abroad and cultural immersion. What will you say my chances are of getting an interview?

mothy
November 7th, 2015, 09:34
51.3%

Ini
November 7th, 2015, 09:41
I'd say a very good chance of getting an interview as long as your SOP wasn't garbage and then it'll just depend on how your interview goes if you get the job or not. You dont have to have any sort of connection to japan to get it, its not a "who loves japan the most" competition despite what some people seem to think.

Fantasylife
November 7th, 2015, 11:08
My GPA was below 3.0...

I can't speak any languages other than English...

I'm not white...

I applied out of one of the most competitive cities...

And I don't have any teaching experience....

And I got in.

Mothy's 51.3% sounds about right to me.

BabyKing
November 7th, 2015, 12:12
Thanks guys! Would any of you mind if I sent you my sop? I think it might give you better insight on my application. I know that the references are important too so I was careful who I asked. Of course I asked a professor who I've taken for nearly 3 yrs (we have a tight knit polisci dept) but I asked the Project Director/head boss lady of my teaching program overseas to write the 2nd one. Alot of people have had Japanese teachers write theirs is it bad that I didn't do that? Sorry if I sound paranoid I'm just nervous lol

Ini
November 7th, 2015, 12:31
Always go with the most prestigious reference you can. Again it goes back to people thinking its a "who loves Japan the most" contest. I have lost count of the number of times people come on here complaining about not getting a interview/accepted into the program when they were "perfect" for the job and it turns out their references were from some part time Japanese teacher who ran an optional language module at their university and the highlight of their life experiences was being assistant social media manager of their uni's anime club.

BabyKing
November 7th, 2015, 13:13
Thanks Ini! Could you tell me about your first experience apply to the JET Program?

BabyKing
November 7th, 2015, 13:29
Thanks In! Could you tell me about your first experience apply to the JET Program?

Gizmotech
November 7th, 2015, 22:30
Less than a 3.0 gpa, I got in. Just sell yourself correctly. There are several black American alts in my prefecture.

Kyle
November 8th, 2015, 12:07
You're worrying too much. I literally took years off during my degree for health reasons, failed courses and had a less than impressive GPA. I also had two pages worth of writings about my medical history. I did no extra-curricular actives during my time at university and i also did not work for the years i was at university. However, i majored in Japanese at university, have TESOL qualifications and i have a Japanese wife. I am now a current JET. Just sell your strengths. You need to write a good SOP and get some good references.

moonbeam
November 8th, 2015, 20:10
*ahem*

I failed a Japanese course and got a D in another and I still got in. I was an alternate the first year I applied but the second year I got in (after being an alternate yet again for a grand total of a week) because of other things on my application, like an online ESL course I took. So yeah, don't worry about your GPA and just focus on what you can offer the program--which sounds like you did.

webstaa
November 9th, 2015, 08:13
As far as references go, if there's a "tradition" of JET applicants out of your college, see who (out of the professors who know you) has written the most references. Usually it'll be a Japanese language professor or International Relations professor - but if they don't know you, then you'll probably just get a generic reference. Prestigious is always good, especially in Japan.

alee50
December 22nd, 2015, 20:26
Don't worry too much about your GPA. Just have courage! And, they just want to know who you are and what you can offer to the program. I'm one of the alumni JET from many ages ago and was just like in your situation. But, I kept trying....and finally got in! Once you're here in Japan, it will be a complete ball park for you.

Ini
December 22nd, 2015, 22:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomCIXGzsR0

Zolrak 22
December 23rd, 2015, 01:50
https://youtu.be/jzx6iVPvR88

MikeCarter
December 24th, 2015, 07:19
GPA doesn't really matter. As long as your SOP and references are good you're fine, as your extra circular stuff and future seem to align quite nicely.

You have about a 1 in 5 chance of getting an interview (more like 1 in 4 when you weed out people who are rejected cause they fucked up their application), then 50/50 chance after you get your interview.

If you get to the interview stage and get nice people/don't piss them off you should get in just fine.

Vancouver3
February 11th, 2016, 22:53
Hello everyone,

I just sent in my application and would like to just gauge everyone's opinion on what would be on my chances of getting into the JET Program.
1) Senior Graduating in May 2016 with a 2.86 GPA and a degree in Poli Sci Concentration International Relations
2) 22 yrs Black Female
3) Works part-time as an Administrative Assistant
4) Summer 2015 was spent teaching at an English Summer Camp overseas
5) Cheer Coach for 3yrs
6) Volunteer with an organization that assists young adults with special needs
7) Volunteer with local international organization in it's Afrian and Asian departments (which is also how I got to teach overseas for a summer
8) Volunteer to read to K-5 students
9) Speak 3 languages (English(Native), French(Reading & Conversation), and Chinese(Basic Conversation)) but no Japanese skill at all....Kanji whaaaaa
10) I wish to be a TESOL teacher one day in the states after teaching abroad for some years and I think that JET fits perfectly into this plan

I'm afraid that my GPA will hurt me since I did not address it in my SOP because I had so much else to talk about and didn't want to dwell on the negative. I am afraid that since I live in an area that competes with lots of students with top schools I will be overlooked based on my school. I couldn't afford a top ticket school even though I did get into my first two choices, I'd end up hanging myself in debt lol but I think that might hurt me since I didn't go to a name-brand school. My hobbies have nothing to do with Japan (no anime watching or manga reading or karate) but I do have a love of world history and culture. Working in the Asian department with my organization is what sparked my interest in Japan and I touched on this in my SOP. I only spent 2-3 sentences on why Japan and focused mostly on why JET and what I can do for JET based on my past teaching and coaching experiences. Will it hurt me that I didn't talk more about Japan? I've read a lot of SOP's about how ever since a person was 6 they've been in love with Japan but I'm not like that. I think Japan is cool and all but I'm not obsessed, I really am more focused on the opportunity to teach abroad and cultural immersion. What will you say my chances are of getting an interview?

With the US dollar being as high as it is, this will bring you a salary in US dollar terms less than $30,000. This would be great for a Canadian since the exchange rate is so bad it would be a great salary for any Canadian but I don't know if it would be good for American graduates when converting the money back into US dollars.

purple jellyfish
March 1st, 2016, 07:26
How important is it to have an ESL background? I'm majoring in economics and international studies (with a concentration on South East Asia) and minoring in Japanese. Will this make up for no teaching background?

Frap
March 1st, 2016, 09:13
It's not important. Calm down!

mothy
March 1st, 2016, 09:56
For JET? It really doesn't matter what you study.

Vancouver3
March 1st, 2016, 13:18
How important is it to have an ESL background? I'm majoring in economics and international studies (with a concentration on South East Asia) and minoring in Japanese. Will this make up for no teaching background?

日本語を専攻しているならALTよりもCIRの方に申し込んだ方が一般の大卒と競争しなくても良い。ALTは、日本語能力は必要ではないが、CIRは日本語能力が、かなり必要です。大学四年生の日本語のクラスに合格出来る程語彙を獲得してなければJLPTN1とN2に合格するのは無理だろう。この為に日本語専攻の大卒だったらこの厳密な要件は貴方の立場によると競争を逆に排除しますのでCIRに参加出来る可能性は高いだろう。

Jiggit
March 1st, 2016, 13:22
必要デス

Who do you think you are, Light Yagami?

mothy
March 1st, 2016, 13:29
How does he even walk with the weight of that j-go peen.

Frap
March 1st, 2016, 13:31
日本語を専攻しているならALTよりもCIRの方に申し込んだ方が一般の大卒と競争しなくても良い。ALTは、日本語能力は必要ではないが、CIRは日本語能力が、かなり必要です。大学四年生の日本語のクラスに合格出来る程語彙を獲得してなければJLPTN1とN2に合格するのは無理だろう。この為に日本語専攻の大卒だったらこの厳密な要件は貴方の立場によると競争を逆に排除しますのでCIRに参加出来る可能性は高いだろう。

lol

Jiggit
March 1st, 2016, 13:34

おいクソ野郎、お前俺のこと何て言いやがった?ネービーシールズをトップで卒業して、アルカイダへの極秘襲撃に多数関与し、300人以上の殺害実績を持つ俺様の事をたっぷり分からせてやるよ。俺はゴリラ戦の訓練を受け、米軍全体でトップのスナイパーだ。お前は俺様にとっちゃ何者でもねぇ、ただのターゲットの一つだ。この地球上で今まで誰も見たことがない精密さでお前を消し去ってやる、俺のこの言葉メモっとけよ 。お前はネット上でそんな戯言を俺様に言っといて、マジで逃げ切れるとでも思ってやがるのか?考え直せや、このクソ野郎。全米中に散らばってる俺のスパイ網にもうコンタクトしてあるからな、お前のIPは今現在トレースされてんだよ。これからお前に起こる嵐の準備でもしとけや 、このウジ虫野郎。その嵐ってのはなぁ、哀れなちっぽけなモノを簡単に消し去っちまうんだ。そう、お前の命だよ。クソガキ、お前もう死んでんだよ。俺はいつでもどこでも現れるし、700以上の方法でお前をぶち殺せる、それも素手ででだ。俺は武器なしの戦闘訓練も幅広くしてるが、米国海兵隊の全武器のアクセス権まで持ってんだよ。その戦力を最大限使って、この地球上からお前みたいなクソガキの惨めな存在を完全に消し去ってやるぜ。まぁお前の利口なコメントがどんな災いをお前自身に招くのか知り得ていたなら、お前はその汚ねぇ舌を黙らせていただろうがな。だが、忌々しい馬鹿なお前にはそれができなかったし、しなかった。そして、その対価を今払わなきゃいけねぇんだよ。俺様の怒りの中でお前は溺れ死ぬんだ。このクソガキお前マジで死んだぞ。

Ini
March 1st, 2016, 13:39
安部さんが自衛隊を国防軍にしてくれれば哀れな白豚を殺してくれます。

Frap
March 1st, 2016, 13:48
黄金のヤギ

Vancouver3
March 1st, 2016, 14:59
If you claim to be a top graduate of the U.S. Navy Seals, you would have taken Arabic instead of Japanese as you would have had the aptitude score high enough on your Defense Language Aptitude Test to take a Category V language. Despite Japanese being in the same Category V level difficulty, an Arabic language would have been a priority for a Navy Seal. Some US Marines do take Japanese as their MOS linguist to station in Okinawa but not US Navy Seals. When did you take BUD/S? When was your ship date? If you were a DEO, Where did you do your ROTC? Did you do a green to gold program being formerly enlisted? Did you do OCS? In any case, why would you care to do JET if you claim to be who you are? You could make over $1000 a day working as a Private Defense Contractor since you are now separated from service. You would not be doing JET anymore than you would care to work in cheap contract security working in a mall for $12.50 an hour.

uthinkimlost?
March 1st, 2016, 15:03
If you claim to be a top graduate of the U.S. Navy Seals, you would have taken Arabic instead of Japanese as you would have had the aptitude score high enough on your Defense Language Aptitude Test to take a Category V language. Despite Japanese being in the same Category V level difficulty, an Arabic language would have been a priority for a Navy Seal. Some US Marines do take Japanese as their MOS linguist to station in Okinawa but not US Navy Seals. When did you take BUD/S? When was your ship date? If you were a DEO, Where did you do your ROTC? Did you do a green to gold program being formerly enlisted? Did you do OCS?

Can't tell if playing it straight or getting Aspergian...

Ini
March 1st, 2016, 15:07
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/857/264/a09.gif

Vancouver3
March 1st, 2016, 15:33
U think I'm lost, I was responding to Jiggit who claims to be a top graduate Navy Seal in colloquial Japanese.

uthinkimlost?
March 1st, 2016, 15:47
oic

acpc2203
March 1st, 2016, 16:10
this is a good thread (for you).

Jiggit
March 1st, 2016, 16:43
U think I'm lost, I was responding to Jiggit who claims to be a top graduate Navy Seal in colloquial Japanese.

脳味噌に如雨露は日課 葉巻にキス
髪を結わえまた次の戦に行く
広げる世界地図, them ninjas on the mission
邪魔者は容赦なく斬る
死ぬ生きる賭けてりゃ当然の義務
見てみ Kill Bill,
人は最後 lonely
残せるものは多い
に越したことない この一生に
Mothafucka, y'all can't feel my pain

Frap
March 1st, 2016, 17:04
that was fun to read, ini

Vancouver3
March 1st, 2016, 22:40
安部さんが自衛隊を国防軍にしてくれれば哀れな白豚を殺してくれます。

Perhaps for that transition to occur smoothly, appointing a former Japanese American 4 Star General Eric Shinseki to oversee the transition would be a good idea. Since Japan is ready to "Go for Broke" economically speaking as Abe engages in quantitative easing measures that will lead Japan to hyperinflation, let them restore their sense of 大和魂. NEETs and 引込み parasite singles are the result of being emasculated out of their samurai sense of pride. Let them remember what it is to be a 武士!

GodInStrafeMode
March 2nd, 2016, 09:56
GPA doesn't matter.

that is all

simplesam
March 2nd, 2016, 12:04
...I don't know what is going on half the time on here, and yet I keep coming back...

fryfry
March 2nd, 2016, 12:29
same here, I know why I keep coming back, though, I just want attention.
plus this page is giving me good practice looking up radicals.

mothy
March 2nd, 2016, 13:34
...I don't know what is going on half the time on here, and yet I keep coming back...

One day, if you're lucky enough to get a boring placement in Japan, you too can confuse future ITILers and the cycle will continue.

Frap
March 2nd, 2016, 13:37
https://45.media.tumblr.com/56718a959b2a60c0331630d14921aa3a/tumblr_nc7iubxNex1t3xmw3o1_500.gif

GodInStrafeMode
March 2nd, 2016, 13:44
おいクソ野郎、お前俺のこと何て言いやがった?ネービーシールズをトップで卒業して、アルカイダへの極秘襲撃に多数関与し、300人以上の殺害実績を持つ俺様の事をたっぷり分からせてやるよ。俺はゴリラ戦の訓練を受け、米軍全体でトップのスナイパーだ。お前は俺様にとっちゃ何者でもねぇ、ただのターゲットの一つだ。この地球上で今まで誰も見たことがない精密さでお前を消し去ってやる、俺のこの言葉メモっとけよ 。お前はネット上でそんな戯言を俺様に言っといて、マジで逃げ切れるとでも思ってやがるのか?考え直せや、このクソ野郎。全米中に散らばってる俺のスパイ網にもうコンタクトしてあるからな、お前のIPは今現在トレースされてんだよ。これからお前に起こる嵐の準備でもしとけや 、このウジ虫野郎。その嵐ってのはなぁ、哀れなちっぽけなモノを簡単に消し去っちまうんだ。そう、お前の命だよ。クソガキ、お前もう死んでんだよ。俺はいつでもどこでも現れるし、700以上の方法でお前をぶち殺せる、それも素手ででだ。俺は武器なしの戦闘訓練も幅広くしてるが、米国海兵隊の全武器のアクセス権まで持ってんだよ。その戦力を最大限使って、この地球上からお前みたいなクソガキの惨めな存在を完全に消し去ってやるぜ。まぁお前の利口なコメントがどんな災いをお前自身に招くのか知り得ていたなら、お前はその汚ねぇ舌を黙らせていただろうがな。だが、忌々しい馬鹿なお前にはそれができなかったし、しなかった。そして、その対価を今払わなきゃいけねぇんだよ。俺様の怒りの中でお前は溺れ死ぬんだ。このクソガキお前マジで死んだぞ。

double LOL

simplesam
March 2nd, 2016, 14:51
One day, if you're lucky enough to get a boring placement in Japan, you too can confuse future ITILers and the cycle will continue.

I think I am finally understanding what it takes to be a JET...if only I had known before my interview...