PDA

View Full Version : So who here's going for the second (or more) attempt this year?

firemarth
November 28th, 2015, 15:16
Applied in the 2013-2014 sequence through the Detroit consulate and made it to Alternate previously. Decided I'd give it one more shot this sequence...through the Seattle consulate, since I've moved across the country since then.

Anyone else out there doing the same? We gotta stick together!

Zolrak 22
November 28th, 2015, 18:15
*shyly raises hand *

Second time and hopefully last.

JestersJ
December 2nd, 2015, 10:03
Good luck guys! After I was notified last year that I got an interview I actually went through about 120 questions they normally ask online and it helped a lot.
My Japanese was awful during the test though.

My best friend didn't make it through last year. She just came with another company instead. Student Loan payments means you can't wait another year for the application sadly.

AyaReiko
December 2nd, 2015, 10:13
Third attempt here! I was alternate both times before, but I'm going for CIR, so it's a bit different.

Zolrak 22
December 2nd, 2015, 14:15
Third attempt here! I was alternate both times before, but I'm going for CIR, so it's a bit different.
There is a chance you might be called.

A friend of mine received his notice just a few days ago. So they are still upgrading.

AyaReiko
December 2nd, 2015, 14:52
Not gonna lie, I don't want to keep my hopes up at this point, but thanks ^^
I think there might be upgrades until mid-December, if I'm not mistaken.

Satori Shinobi
December 3rd, 2015, 10:31
Not gonna lie, I don't want to keep my hopes up at this point, but thanks ^^
I think there might be upgrades until mid-December, if I'm not mistaken.

Can confirm. I was upgraded on the third to last day possible. Although my upgrade was due to unusual circumstances (read:flyjin)

Virgil
December 3rd, 2015, 10:39
Can confirm. I was upgraded on the third to last day possible. Although my upgrade was due to unusual circumstances (read:flyjin)

Yeah, it seems like there's always a flurry of upgrades in December due to the old SAD.

Did anybody catch that tumbleweed?

weepinbell
December 3rd, 2015, 13:16
We're either getting an upgrade or an early departure bc of those circumstances. Idk which yet but they're trying for upgrade.

Ananasboat
December 3rd, 2015, 13:48
Yeah, a newbie should be showing up any day now in my neck of the woods.

Gizmotech
December 3rd, 2015, 14:16
I've been told that an early departure must be requested by October 7th. Yes, that's right, 7th. Apparently I won't be replaced until August, but if I fucked off today is be okay to be replaced by mid January with a call up. Wtf Clair, wtf...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uthinkimlost?
December 3rd, 2015, 14:34
I've been told that an early departure must be requested by October 7th. Yes, that's right, 7th. Apparently I won't be replaced until August, but if I fucked off today is be okay to be replaced by mid January with a call up. Wtf Clair, wtf...

Fuck off a week before April?

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2015, 15:38
I don't understand.

Virgil
December 3rd, 2015, 15:48

That's either a lie or it varies by prefecture.
I replaced a December flyjin by February. She MAY have notified in November, but I'm not even sure about that. Things were kind of a wreck when I got here.

uthinkimlost?
December 3rd, 2015, 15:56
I think he's saying if he quits/flyjins before the new school year, an alternate will be upgraded. If he leaves at the end of the school year, no one will come until August because the cutoff for early arrival requests has passed.

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2015, 16:44
Oh. Does that matter?

Ini
December 3rd, 2015, 17:01
One would assume because of the tax year people starting before april are upgraded rejects from last years applicants and ones starting from april are early departures from this years applicants.

Gizmotech
December 3rd, 2015, 22:59
Uthink is basically right. I've given notice I will work until end of March. They can't replace me cuz the request for Aprils needed to be in by oct 7. But if I had fucked off before the new year an upgrade could have been sourced from the 2015 batch before April.

It's a really stupid system , or my prefectural people are just making shit up to fuck with me and my school.

webstaa
December 4th, 2015, 08:10
It's a really stupid system , or my prefectural people are just making shit up to fuck with me and my school.

A little from column A, a little from column B...

Virgil
December 4th, 2015, 08:44
Ah, yeah I see now. I think the important thing we agree on is that it makes no sense. I'm sure it's an archaic system that hasn't been reviewed because people like to have arbitrary deadlines.

Jiggit
December 4th, 2015, 08:54
I'm wondering why it matters to you, I suppose. I don't care if my school never has another ALT again tbh.

Ini
December 4th, 2015, 09:20
Ah, yeah I see now. I think the important thing we agree on is that it makes no sense. I'm sure it's an archaic system that hasn't been reviewed because people like to have arbitrary deadlines.

I wouldnt call it arbitrary. How else would you organise it?

Virgil
December 4th, 2015, 09:28
I wouldnt call it arbitrary. How else would you organise it?

Maybe not arbitrary. I think most people agree that the time schedule for JET is at best awkward. I know they do it to accommodate recent college grads, but it seems like a vestige of a time passed.

I'm not going to brainstorm a better schedule, but why is it necessary to have such a significant 8 month dead zone where schools can't get an ALT.

Jiggit
December 4th, 2015, 09:31
I'm not going to brainstorm a better schedule

Worst ALT evar.

Ini
December 4th, 2015, 09:33
best thing for everyone would be for gizmo to leave at the end of this term. Then he gets a nice long holiday for a couple of months, the school gets a new ALT and everyones happy.

uthinkimlost?
December 4th, 2015, 10:01
I'm wondering why it matters to you, I suppose. I don't care if my school never has another ALT again tbh.

Then how will they becoming globalized society now?

Gizmotech
December 4th, 2015, 10:12

To be honest I don't really care all that much, but in an effort to make everyone's lives around me easier, I did try to organize shit as early as possible to make the transition as painless as possible. As you can see, giving over four months notice was insufficient....

best thing for everyone would be for gizmo to leave at the end of this term. Then he gets a nice long holiday for a couple of months, the school gets a new ALT and everyones happy.

Except for the holiday part, and the fucking boring 4 months of teaching where I can't really do what I want, ya... I actually can't imagine a worse fate actually.... Hell, making it to April might be a bit of a fucking challenge....

By Let'sing English!

Jiggit
December 4th, 2015, 10:42

I think Japan is becoming globalization now. So we must learn English to help them get lost the way. If we are told the way by foreigner, we must need English. It will become trouble.

uthinkimlost?
December 4th, 2015, 10:58
I think Japan is becoming globalization now. So we must learn English to help them get lost the way. If we are told the way by foreigner, we must need English. It will become trouble.

Quit looking at my kids' homework!!!1!!

Frap
December 4th, 2015, 11:09
It will become trouble.

lol adorable

JestersJ
December 7th, 2015, 11:32
I will say now, since the August arrivals there's been two people who left from this prefecture. One left literally the day she got here. No idea what happened there, all we found out is she had some sort of emotional instability and maybe couldn't handle the sudden change.

The other one left because the reality of Japan wasn't up to her fantasy, not very mature but it just didn't live up to her expectation. I guess she didn't need the job.

There's two more here on borderline of wanting to leave due to culture shock and winter blues. They've been convinced recently to take up counselling with JET so we'll see if they actually leave or not, but I have a feeling at least one of them will.

MikeCarter
December 7th, 2015, 12:36
There's two more here on borderline of wanting to leave due to culture shock and winter blues. They've been convinced recently to take up counselling with JET so we'll see if they actually leave or not, but I have a feeling at least one of them will.

I'm curious, do you know what in particular they're having issues with in regards to the difference in culture?

I mean, what exactly is happening that they didn't expect?

JestersJ
December 7th, 2015, 14:18
I'm curious, do you know what in particular they're having issues with in regards to the difference in culture?

I mean, what exactly is happening that they didn't expect?

I mean, people are different here. It might just be a subconscious thing that grows. People don't wash their hands as often after using the restroom, they brush their teeth at their desk at work, they shove into you and don't move out of the way even when they notice you, and in my own personal experience, they are the least empathetic people you will ever meet. To some people it probably just builds up stress and they had no way of releasing it.

The reason I mention the empathy, is because I did get into a car accident and I was on a scooter. I blacked out during the accident so I don't remember much except waking up on the street. My supervisor is kind of a tough Tosa woman, and the first thing she asked when I was informing her of the accident was *how was the other person's car* and not the fact that I had just been slammed into a car with only a helmet on for protection. She didn't ask how "I" was until I had to be taken to the hospital almost a week later for muscle spasms and neck pain.

Some people aren't used to the lack of... empathy. I would say that would be one of the major causes I've seen from personally studying abroad and meeting a lot of people on JET. From those who leave, and those who stay.
Others, it could just be a culture shock on more of a physical sense. Some people DO get placed in the middle of no where and aren't allowed to get a vehicle. And stuff like the lack of technology surprises me every time I return to Japan actually.

OR it could just be some stuff going on at home. People are sad they miss friends getting engaged, having kids, family members birthdays passing. It just depends what triggers it I guess. I'm quite a black sheep to my family so they aren't surprised I left the country at a young age.

weepinbell
December 7th, 2015, 14:39
Ya I feel like it's less about the direct cause and more about how you cope. You're gonna get pissed or shocked about SOMEthing here, I mean there's lots of stuff that's different in the western world.

Like I hate the lottery systems they use all the time for special events/amusement parks that just end up creating more hassles and lines... it's small stuff like that that can build up in people who don't know how to cope with so many differences being thrown at them at once. Sounds like no biggie when you're not here, but when you're thrown into a new place, things are gonna piss you off that you wouldn't have expected.

That combined with homesickness and maybe some good old SAD? For some people it just doesn't work out in the end.

Edit - also the classroom environments lol... lack of punishment system = kids getting away with shit you would never expect in the western world. I know some people who that just kills.

Gizmotech
December 7th, 2015, 21:09
I'm gonna say that while there is less empathy at home, it's the difference that people notice there. We're overly empathetic in the west right now, with all our special snowflake considerations and it's a pretty big shock from the handholding that people grow up with to functioning like an adult.

As for the other reasons, ya that's a lot of it. I know there is one guy out here who I'm surprised hasn't flyjind yet given how often he's not in town. There's also a lot of old school bfi shock as well, which the younger kiddies can't handle well.

Then there's also the biggest struggle of all, having a REAL job. While yes there is a lot of downtime, it's still a proper employment place and were expected to act like well groomed peons, just like our coworkers. That's a huge shock to a lot of fresh uni grads.

MikeCarter
December 8th, 2015, 08:29
That's interesting. I never had thought about it being a matter of smaller things that bother you over time rather than "OMG THIS ISN'T MY HOME". Though if that's actually the reason they leave is up for grabs.

Edit - also the classroom environments lol... lack of punishment system = kids getting away with shit you would never expect in the western world. I know some people who that just kills.

This I don't think is accurate though. Kids here can get away with anything as well. My 12 year old sister tells me about how her teacher regularly cries in class because the kids are dicks and she's not allowed to do anything to punish them.

Jiggit
December 8th, 2015, 08:42
Then there's also the biggest struggle of all, having a REAL job. While yes there is a lot of downtime, it's still a proper employment place and were expected to act like well groomed peons, just like our coworkers. That's a huge shock to a lot of fresh uni grads.

Says the guy who never bothers to show up on time.

webstaa
December 8th, 2015, 08:47
A lot of people just can't deal with bureaucracy. Like waiting 5 months for internet due to an apartment building having the 'wrong' address. Or waiting 2 months for a washing machine repair man to come and take a look at a leaky washer because it's the BoE's washer and not their own private one, etc. Some people just cope differently - and some can't cope and end up as flyjin.

As far as school discipline goes, I don't my school is any better or worse than the school I grew up in, other than the entire lack of punishment for not doing homework. That was a bit of culture shock for me.

Virgil
December 8th, 2015, 08:51
Japan is western culture.
Japan is a western country.

One of the reasons (I rarely admit) I chose Japan is because I knew it wouldn't be that different from what I was used to. That still feels true for me. I wanted the travel experience without actually having to struggle in a truly foreign environment. I think the majority of people who want to come to Japan are exceedingly weak willed. I might just be judgmental, but it really seems that way.

I may be the center of my world, but I don't expect to be the center of others.

Jiggit
December 8th, 2015, 08:56
I think you're confusing the word "Western" with the word "Developed".

Superficially it's Western. If you think it's culturally Western then you have an exceedingly weak understanding of the country.

... maybe I'm just being judgmental.

MikeCarter
December 8th, 2015, 09:12
He has a point though, and the be honest it's one of the main reasons I want to go to Japan over most other places too. It's one of the most "not like us" places while still being pretty like us, if that makes sense.

Virgil
December 8th, 2015, 11:19
I think you're confusing the word "Western" with the word "Developed".

Superficially it's Western. If you think it's culturally Western then you have an exceedingly weak understanding of the country.

... maybe I'm just being judgmental.

I'm feeling judged.

It's a non-western culture that has been turned western. Most people only live superficially (especially me) so it tends to be all that matters. Sure if you want to get into the intricacies of culture and all that mess, then my argument starts to break down pretty fast. Unlike you and Word, I don't come to the internet to make strong arguments. I do come to force my unfounded opinion on others.

I'm admittedly ignorant on many topics related to Japanese history and culture - but I do have the experience of living in one area in one part of the country - and it's basically the exact same shit. I often get asked what I was most shocked about Japan, and there just isn't an answer. It all seems rather samey to me. I guess what I was trying to say is that it's really stupid to get bent out of shape about people clipping their toe-nails in the office, slurping their noodles, or brushing their teeth after lunch everyday. It's petty and dumb - save that (beautiful flower) for your spouse.
I think given enough time we will all become a giant mono-culture.

I haven't lived in say ... Iraq or India, but I imagine I would be much less prepared to cope with those cultures.

EDIT: I get that many of the social aspects of culture are vastly different from the 'western' countries. That's not what I was saying in my previous post. I was saying that living in Japan is just like living in a western country, and even their culture has been highly affected by western culture. I tend to go overboard with my statements.

Jiggit
December 8th, 2015, 12:11
It's a non-western culture that has been turned western. Most people only live superficially (especially me) so it tends to be all that matters. Sure if you want to get into the intricacies of culture and all that mess, then my argument starts to break down pretty fast. Unlike you and Word, I don't come to the internet to make strong arguments. I do come to force my unfounded opinion on others.

Well, IRL info aside, I think if you don't care about relationships with other people then any modern country is easy to live in.

I'm admittedly ignorant on many topics related to Japanese history and culture - but I do have the experience of living in one area in one part of the country - and it's basically the exact same shit. I often get asked what I was most shocked about Japan, and there just isn't an answer. It all seems rather samey to me. I guess what I was trying to say is that it's really stupid to get bent out of shape about people clipping their toe-nails in the office, slurping their noodles, or brushing their teeth after lunch everyday. It's petty and dumb - save that (beautiful flower) for your spouse.

I haven't lived in say ... Iraq or India, but I imagine I would be much less prepared to cope with those cultures.

Sure, but I feel like you're talking about the practical realities rather than cultural aspects of living in a country. Massive Poverty isn't "Indian culture" anymore than being blown up by IEDs isn't "Iraqi culture". Japan is a developed nation, yes. It has all the luxuries and amenities of modern life. If we exclude all countries that don't fit that, I think you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere that is more "different" than Japan.

EDIT: I get that many of the social aspects of culture are vastly different from the 'western' countries.

But that's what culture shock is, I think. Or isn't it? If it really is people just getting weirded out that things they should have researched beforehand are different then yes, they are wimps. I think for most people culture shock is when they find themselves unable to understand the society and people around them due to fundamental differences that they can't fully comprehend. And I think if you're trying to integrate into a society, trying to get to know it's people on a meaningful level, then Japan is probably one of the most difficult countries in which to do that. Even after being here for years, decades, you still uncover things about the way people perceive each other and their relationships that will "shock" you. I don't know a single foreigner who's lived here long term that hasn't "given up" on trying to fit in here.

That's what I took culture shock to mean, anyway. It's a gut response to the contact of oneself with the other; or "Hell is other people" (for satori this sentence is the equivalent of edging).

weepinbell
December 8th, 2015, 12:12
That's interesting. I never had thought about it being a matter of smaller things that bother you over time rather than "OMG THIS ISN'T MY HOME". Though if that's actually the reason they leave is up for grabs.

This I don't think is accurate though. Kids here can get away with anything as well. My 12 year old sister tells me about how her teacher regularly cries in class because the kids are dicks and she's not allowed to do anything to punish them.

Lmao don't say I didn't warn you if you get over here and kids are literally slapping each other with erasers, kicking the shit out of each other in the hallways, and standing on their desks and screaming at the top of their lungs... all of which goes completely ignored by or even laughed at by (a lot of) teachers.

Detentions don't even exist here. They're not allowed to punish in basically any capacity because if the parents find out their kid missed club practice or got their phone taken away because of a teacher's punishment, that teacher's career is over. Teachers hate the system, but that's what it is.

Virgil - I agree with you that Japan has adapted tons of western practices, but they've done it in a very 'Japanese' way. Yeah, you can go to like Universal studios here but there's a lottery system to get on popular rides. Yeah, you can go to a fast food joint, but you're gonna have to empty out your ice cubes in a separate tray. Garbage system. Getting movie tickets. Old ladies shushing you on a crowded bus. The list goes on - Japanese is modernized and p westernized, but it's not western culture as we know it.

Jiggit
December 8th, 2015, 12:23
Virgil - I agree with you that Japan has adapted tons of western practices, but they've done it in a very 'Japanese' way. Yeah, you can go to like Universal studios here but there's a lottery system to get on popular rides. Yeah, you can go to a fast food joint, but you're gonna have to empty out your ice cubes in a separate tray. Garbage system. Getting movie tickets. Old ladies shushing you on a crowded bus. The list goes on - Japanese is modernized and p westernized, but it's not western culture as we know it.

Never mind, Virgil, I think you were right in the first place.

weepinbell
December 8th, 2015, 12:33
Oh chill, all I literally did was list differences in Western practices that were adapted here. Yeah they're not huge, but they're things that don't happen in the countries they were adapted from. Y'all literally disagree with everyone who's not in your ITIL cool kids clique anyway lmao. Not surprised anymore.

Jiggit
December 8th, 2015, 12:35
I'm just saying if you're going to a theme park in Japan and letting anything distract you from the poon that is the only reason to go to one... I can't think of how to finish this sentence.

Virgil
December 8th, 2015, 12:38
Well, IRL info aside, I think if you don't care about relationships with other people then any modern country is easy to live in.
You could mean 2 different things here. I have a few Japanese friends that I consider fairly close. We don't always see the world the same way, but it doesn't really change how I perceive them as -being-
Everyone is on some spectrum of being a genuinely despicable human to a pretty decent guy/girl no matter what culture they come from

Sure, but I feel like you're talking about the practical realities rather than cultural aspects of living in a country. Massive Poverty isn't "Indian culture" anymore than being blown up by IEDs isn't "Iraqi culture". Japan is a developed nation, yes. It has all the luxuries and amenities of modern life. If we exclude all countries that don't fit that, I think you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere that is more "different" than Japan.
I can really get behind this actually. If you're culture doesn't involve targeting certain groups of people and actively making their lives shitty, then it's pretty livable I guess. Now I do have white privilege and all that .. . . . ..
But every culture makes some group's lives shitty to some extent.

At the risk of sounding like a complete anti-social weirdo - I find it awkward and difficult to communicate with people within my own culture, so changing to another wasn't so hard for me. I have no desire to integrate into Japanese society, but I do desire to not be an asshole (even by their definition.)

So in an attempt to bring it back to the main thread topic. If you're applying for JET again this year - you might be able to use this knowledge to your advantage. There will be a lot of small behavioural differences in those around you. There will be HUGE differences in the way the people around you perceive the world. Be prepared to be cold and grumpy about it when the sun is constantly obscured by clouds, and you're lacking in vitamin D. It's just not that bad, but if you're easily annoyed then be prepared.

weepinbell
December 8th, 2015, 12:41
I'm just saying if you're going to a theme park in Japan and letting anything distract you from the poon that is the only reason to go to one... I can't think of how to finish this sentence.

Yeah yeah yeah point is it's run a bit differently than the western parks because Japan runs a bit differently than the western world. There's different priorities in different cultures and all that.

Virgil
December 8th, 2015, 12:41
Oh chill, all I literally did was list differences in Western practices that were adapted here. Yeah they're not huge, but they're things that don't happen in the countries they were adapted from. Y'all literally disagree with everyone who's not in your ITIL cool kids clique anyway lmao. Not surprised anymore.

Just to be clear, I was not attacking you in my post. I was trying to be as general as possible, but I constantly hear people complain about the most insignificant of differences. If you're constantly honing in on what is different and what is the same , then you're gonna have a hard time. Find the things you love, and focus on them.

I don't like crowds. You know what sucks about living in a city in Japan? Lots of crowds. I avoid them like the plague, and I'm pretty happy about it.
I know it's easier said than done to adapt. Some people will have to make an active effort.

weepinbell
December 8th, 2015, 12:46
Oh I didn't think you were attacking me. Just responding to the conversation from the differences I've noticed so far, even in western-influenced stuff. But yeah you're right, it's all stuff you have to adapt if you're gonna live here, you can't just poopoo about it all the time. There's things any one person will hate about literally any country in the world, I think those things are just amplified in your mind when it's not your home culture, and that's when culture shock can get the best of you.

Jiggit
December 8th, 2015, 12:57
Just to be clear, I was absolutely attacking you in my post.

Virgil
December 8th, 2015, 13:01
Just to be clear, I was absolutely attacking you in my post.
One person attacking is OK. I'm not OK with pile-ons.
When I start thinking about this stuff I start to remember that I'm actually an alien.

Frap
December 8th, 2015, 13:10
I'm not OK with pile-ons.

Prude.

Zolrak 22
December 8th, 2015, 15:31
Y'all literally disagree with everyone who's not in your ITIL cool kids clique anyway lmao. Not surprised anymore.

I thought you were a cool kid. [emoji29]

Still, you will always have a seat in my table.

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/4009/50/16x9/960.jpg

Frap
December 8th, 2015, 15:33
I thought you were a cool kid. [emoji29]

Still, you will always have a seat in my table.

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/4009/50/16x9/960.jpg

I imagine you look like a mix of all five of those boys mixed into one.

Zolrak 22
December 8th, 2015, 15:40
I imagine you look like a mix of all five of those boys mixed into one.

A mix of two if I had to choose.

mrcharisma
December 9th, 2015, 10:00
Yeah yeah yeah point is it's run a bit differently than the western parks because Japan runs a bit differently than the western world. There's different priorities in different cultures and all that.

I've been to USJ several times and I've no idea what you mean by lottery system. Is it a new thing?

As far as I can see USJ and Disney are identical to the yank versions other than the language and the lack of repulsive, grossly obese gun enthusiasts.

weepinbell
December 9th, 2015, 10:31
I've been to USJ several times and I've no idea what you mean by lottery system. Is it a new thing?

As far as I can see USJ and Disney are identical to the yank versions other than the language and the lack of repulsive, grossly obese gun enthusiasts.

Idk if it's new? You might not have dealt with it if you didn't go on popular attractions. They have it for Harry Potter world, the Jurassic Park ride, and there's a few more that I can't remember... basically once you get to the park, you have to find a separate ticketing machine for those attractions that are scattered in random areas across the park and get separate (free) timed ticket for that attraction - you can only use it within the hour marked on your ticket... but with HP world for example, you can stay however long you want once you're in, so it actually doesn't really help the congestion because people wanna make the most of it since you can't re-enter unless you manage to get another ticket lol. And if you arrive too late to the park in general, you might be SOL and not be able to get a timed ticket cuz they do sell out. I got there at like 10am when I went and my HP ticket was for 5pm, Jurassic Park for 9pm.

They love their lottery systems haha... I'm actually trying to get Ghibli museum tickets tonight/tomorrow through the monthly Lawson lottery they do. They release the tickets for the following month on the 10th of every month and then it's basically first-come-first-serve. I hear they go quick, though.

mrcharisma
December 9th, 2015, 10:55
Idk if it's new? You might not have dealt with it if you didn't go on popular attractions. They have it for Harry Potter world, the Jurassic Park ride, and there's a few more that I can't remember... basically once you get to the park, you have to find a separate ticketing machine for those attractions that are scattered in random areas across the park and get separate (free) timed ticket for that attraction - you can only use it within the hour marked on your ticket... but with HP world for example, you can stay however long you want once you're in, so it actually doesn't really help the congestion because people wanna make the most of it since you can't re-enter unless you manage to get another ticket lol. And if you arrive too late to the park in general, you might be SOL and not be able to get a timed ticket cuz they do sell out. I got there at like 10am when I went and my HP ticket was for 5pm, Jurassic Park for 9pm.

They love their lottery systems haha... I'm actually trying to get Ghibli museum tickets tonight/tomorrow through the monthly Lawson lottery they do. They release the tickets for the following month on the 10th of every month and then it's basically first-come-first-serve. I hear they go quick, though.

I've been on every single "popular attraction" at USJ and never once entered a "lottery" to get on them. I queued up like everyone else or at busier times booked a timed slot, which is what you're confusing with a lottery. These slots are in no way compulsary and considering the exact same system is used at theme parks in the UK, I wouldn't say it is a peculiar Japanese idiosyncrasy either.

The Ghibli tickets aren't a lottery either. They go on sale on a first come, first served basis like tickets for anything else.

weepinbell
December 9th, 2015, 11:06
Yeah, it's not what we consider a 'lottery' in the west.... But they call them lotteries here, and I've experienced it at USJ, with the Ghibli tickets, and for special movie screenings so far. Not saying no one else in the world uses those systems, it's just different from what I've experienced in America for those particular situations.

Edit - but yeah, you're absolutely right, they literally are just first-come-first serve. Wasn't saying they weren't!

moonbeam
December 9th, 2015, 12:56
Wait, you mean fast-pass? They have that at Disney in the US. They're pretty useful because you don't have to wait in line as long and can do other things while you wait.

Anyway, I'm a second time applicant with a success story so it can be done if you like putting your life on hold even longer.

Satori Shinobi
December 9th, 2015, 14:19
That's what I took culture shock to mean, anyway. It's a gut response to the contact of oneself with the other; or "Hell is other people" (for satori this sentence is the equivalent of edging).

There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to express yourself, even if it sounds out there, I encourage it. Hell truely is other people, when it's just you and magma all over the place, it's simply glowy fun time adventures. When it's you and savages who will kill you for your goods/beliefs/looks/place of origin. That is hell. Hell is the consequence of choice.

uthinkimlost?
December 9th, 2015, 14:35
Wait, you mean fast-pass? They have that at Disney in the US. They're pretty useful because you don't have to wait in line as long and can do other things while you wait.

Anyway, I'm a second time applicant with a success story so it can be done if you like putting your life on hold even longer.

For every one there's a dozen bigredgoofballs.

uthinkimlost?
December 9th, 2015, 14:39
There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to express yourself, even if it sounds out there, I encourage it. Hell truely is other people, when it's just you and magma all over the place, it's simply glowy fun time adventures. When it's you and savages who will kill you for your goods/beliefs/looks/place of origin. That is hell. Hell is the consequence of choice.

Every time I see you post/troll, I think of my friend that eats only foods with specific vibrational qualities and know that you could be real.

weepinbell
December 10th, 2015, 14:52

Not fastpass, I wish those were free lol - the lottery shit is really just a free timed ticket for entry that you have to get for certain attractions once you're in the park. Fastpass at USJ you have to choose like 3-7 rides for your fastpass and then pay 3000-7000 extra for it with your park ticket, but they were sold out when I went, anyway. Idk how it works back in the US, never got a fastpass there.

acpc2203
December 10th, 2015, 15:04
IIRC you could go to a machine and it would print out a pass with a time, at that time you could get in the fastpass line and get on a ride pretty quickly. This was the late 90s though so I wouldn't be surprised if they monetized it since then.

naginataonthebrain
December 15th, 2015, 09:38
There's someone who is going home in my prefecture but that's because an immediate family member is on their deathbed. According to some ALTs, she isn't going to be replaced until the new intake though (as in, the July/August intake). Which seems ridiculous...like isn't that what early departure folks are for?

webstaa
December 15th, 2015, 13:25
There's someone who is going home in my prefecture but that's because an immediate family member is on their deathbed. According to some ALTs, she isn't going to be replaced until the new intake though (as in, the July/August intake). Which seems ridiculous...like isn't that what early departure folks are for?

There's a bureaucratic nightmare behind replacing somebody breaking contract. Gizmo (IIRC) has some insight into that. Other reasons might be budgetary - it might be cheaper to do without, or hire a local through not-JET to fill in. Getting a new JET ALT is more expensive than keeping one for another year, and I don't think its even that small of a margin.

Gizmotech
December 15th, 2015, 14:46
April refills must be requested by October 7th.
I think the window for immediate replacement ALTs closes very soon or already has.

Many smaller BoEs don't have the budget immediately available before April to replace an ALT ( they do cost a bit of cash ), so ya....

weepinbell
December 15th, 2015, 16:48
Wow really? You can request an immediate alternate til December but need to request an early departure by beginning of October? How does that make sense... maybe we won't be getting that early departure after all if the alternate thing doesn't work out...

mothy
December 15th, 2015, 17:54
In my day your father would have a fatal heart attack and you'd be back in school the next day sumimasening because your personal tragedy makes others feel uncomfortable. JETs today. No moral fiber.

firemarth
December 17th, 2015, 12:09
...what did my topic turn into?

acpc2203
December 17th, 2015, 16:09
In my day your father would have a fatal heart attack and you'd be back in school the next day sumimasening because your personal tragedy makes others feel uncomfortable. JETs today. No moral fiber.
Ah yes the good ol' days

Zolrak 22
December 17th, 2015, 20:23
...what did my topic turn into?
Eh, you'll get used to it.

Just the let wave wash over you and embrace it. [emoji6]

But on the actual topic, let's hope we actually get in this time. [emoji75]

mothy
December 17th, 2015, 21:36
Ha! If Japan wanted Puerto Ricans they'd just... Hm. Damn. Being from the west coast I've so fully ignored Puerto Rico that I can't think of a stereotype to finish my insult. Help a brother out?

Zolrak 22
December 18th, 2015, 00:24
Ha! If Japan wanted Puerto Ricans they'd just... Hm. Damn. Being from the west coast I've so fully ignored Puerto Rico that I can't think of a stereotype to finish my insult. Help a brother out?

Let's see, prideful, especially about PR (As in 'MURICAH doesn't hold a candle).

Hot blooded. Attractive Latin lovers (ha! [emoji81] )

Noisy loudmouths with a huge ego.

Wannabe singers.

Womanizers.

Lazy, happy (psh , if only)

People assume we are from either Spain or South America, so they tend to unnecessarily ask for passports. ( this caused quite a few lawsuits)

oh and any south American stereotype when they can't tell we aren't from that area.

Edit :

Oh yeah, can't forget about the rum, so drunkards I guess?

mothy
December 18th, 2015, 23:24
Damn. Sounds like a JET.

Zolrak 22
December 19th, 2015, 09:05
Damn. Sounds like a JET.
Which is why I should be a perfect fit! [emoji14]