PDA

View Full Version : Good southeast Asian airlines?

weepinbell
December 2nd, 2015, 10:36
Trying to find decently-priced tickets for a trip to Thailand in the spring. Looked at Air Asia because they're pretty cheap, but saw some god-awful reviews about them so I'm hesitant... lots of horror stories about inexplicable flight cancellations and refusals for refunds - anyone ever flown them before?

Any suggestions appreciated. It's kind of hard to tell which discount liners are reputable from just a google search. Thanks!

mothy
December 2nd, 2015, 11:43
The bad news, Air Asia's safety rating isn't great. The good news it would appear two of their worst pilots are no longer with them. AirAsia crash: Faulty part 'major factor' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34972263)

weepinbell
December 2nd, 2015, 12:40
Yeah, tbh that's part of why I'm iffy. Like crashes happen, but multiple crashes/technical issues, plus cancellations and refund issues? Doesn't seem with the risk or hassle. The tickets I found through them were less than 230USD round trip though on promotion so I tried to get them... only for my credit card to be declined multiple times because my bank thought it was fraud lol. Which is weird because I've charged things on that card here before, no problem. Feels sketch. And then their website kept crashing when I tried to look up tickets afterward.

I'll probably just end up flying the cheapest major company if I don't get any other good recs.

webstaa
December 2nd, 2015, 15:12
There are a lot of airlines (like Asiana) that have some pretty amazing service and have really cheap fare options to a lot of East/Southeast Asia connection options. Some of them don't show up unless you do certain segments (or end up doing a multi-segment flight.) I've flown Haneda->Gimpo, take the train to Incheon (direct connection) and then fly Incheon->Singapore for $400 less than the Narita->Incheon->Singapore. Arrival time was the same.

texxaport
December 2nd, 2015, 21:34
I've flown air Asia twice and I really didn't have any issues. In terms of comfort, they're much nicer than most of the other budget airlines I've taken. Their customer service was okay too. I had to cancel a flight and they helped me at least get a refund on the airport tax at least.

Shincantsen
December 3rd, 2015, 00:02
I had a pretty terrible time with Air Asia when I used it (stuck in Kuala Lumpur for about 24 hours after a flight got delayed, and ended up having to buy a ticket from another airline). If you have the money, I would recommend going with a non-budget airline.

mrcharisma
December 3rd, 2015, 08:13

weepinbell
December 3rd, 2015, 08:26
I wish Peach flew to Thailand. I've had great flights with them. When you guys flew Air Asia, how'd you buy the tickets?? When I tried to book mine the other day, it only gave me the option of credit card. I only have American cards, so I'd rather do pay easy so I can use yen. Do most other airlines do this or was that just a Peach thing? Yeah, don't wanna risk being stranded anywhere... my nenkyuu is scarce to begin with lol. I guess that's always a possibility when flying, though. And so far Air Asia has the only direct flights to Thailand that aren't 8man+. I'll keep browsing around... Thanks!

Pup
December 3rd, 2015, 08:39
Other than Peach maybe check if Jetstar Japan flies to Thailand? They are decent enough that I'd fly from Tokyo to Melbourne using them, I've done that with AirAsia before and had long ass transit times at Malaysia (8hr+ for a 9 flight)

Ini
December 3rd, 2015, 08:43
thailand? if you go via HK you only have a 2 hr layover with Cathay Pacific, they are cheap as balls yet are probably safe enough to get you to your destination without bursting into flames.

weepinbell
December 3rd, 2015, 10:18
Other than Peach maybe check if Jetstar Japan flies to Thailand? They are decent enough that I'd fly from Tokyo to Melbourne using them, I've done that with AirAsia before and had long ass transit times at Malaysia (8hr+ for a 9 flight)

Yeah Jetstar does but all their flight times are like 15hrs+. AirAsia is 5hrs (if I don't get stranded lol).

Ini, Hong Kong airlines? I just checked their website and it says they only leave from parts of Kyushu or Sapporo unless I'm looking at the wrong company?

edit: gonna assume you meant hk express. they only fly to Phuket or Chiang Mai... I'm visiting family in Bangkok so that'd be p out of the way/add up with travel. If I needed to go there they have good deals though, damn.

Ini
December 3rd, 2015, 15:39
they go from KIX, which is where i assumed you would be flying from seeing as your location says osaka or are you going to travel all the way to tokyo/haneda?

Virgil
December 3rd, 2015, 15:49
they go from KIX, which is where i assumed you would be flying from seeing as your location says osaka or are you going to travel all the way to tokyo/haneda?

Jetstar seems to be a lot cheaper flying from Kyushu.

Ini
December 3rd, 2015, 16:13
Jetstar? famous for paying 7dollars an hour to thai cabin attendants who consistently failed to meet safety standards? Sign me up!

Pup
December 4th, 2015, 08:32
I've had the reverse experience with Jetstar, always fairly quick and I once was stuck in an airport in Thailand (coincidentally) thanks to AirAsia. Something about the aircraft having an engine problem, then when it got fixed the pilots had to 'retire' back to their hotel due to lack of sleep...

weepinbell
December 4th, 2015, 08:34
There's HK airlines and HK express. HK airlines is only kyushu, HK express goes from KIX but only goes to Phuket and Chiang Mai.

Anyone flown with Singapore airlines before? They have a discount line called Scoot from KIX-Bangkok direct for cheap.... might just go for that and risk the discount line... at least it's connected to a legit one. If anything else looks like they have a clean safety record lol.

Pup - I keep seeing shit about Air Asia that sounds exactly like your situation, so that's why I wanted to ask.... yikes...

Ini
December 4th, 2015, 09:24
I said cathay pacific not hongkong airlines. Why dont you just go to a travel agent and ask whats the cheapest return ticket to thailand?

Pup
December 7th, 2015, 08:15
In total I stayed in the airport for 24 hrs.

naginataonthebrain
December 15th, 2015, 09:51
When it comes to flying outside of Japan (especially in Southeast Asia), I would cough up the extra money and fly with a non-budget airline. I also give a thumb up to Cathay Pacific.

weepinbell
December 15th, 2015, 10:12
Probably what I'll end up doing. I'm gonna lay low for a little while and see what I can on the major airlines find before buying. Am I looking at the wrong Cathay Pacific? A roundtrip Osaka-Bangkok is 43man for economy... that's more than a little extra lol.

naginataonthebrain
December 15th, 2015, 10:56
Probably what I'll end up doing. I'm gonna lay low for a little while and see what I can on the major airlines find before buying. Am I looking at the wrong Cathay Pacific? A roundtrip Osaka-Bangkok is 43man for economy... that's more than a little extra lol.

Yeah, that's a bit high. I'm not sure what dates you're looking for but I just went on Thai Airways and for Golden Week, they have a roundtrip early escape saver advantage fare, KIX-Bangkok (non-stop) for 94,840 yen.

weepinbell
December 15th, 2015, 11:35
Yep it's for golden week. Looks like that's the normal fair though because I looked at other dates and that's the only price-point I saw- and that's with 1 stop, too. Basically all of their other routes are really decently priced though. Weird!

Found some decent prices on United/ANA, like 7man. I'll look into Thai Airways too, roundtrip is always a plus. Thanks for the suggestions!

edit - just out of curiosity, I looked up a roundtrip flight from US-Bangkok on Cathay at the same trip time and it's like 2000USD cheaper... and Tokyo-Bangkok is the same as KIX-Bangkok... what the hell going on with the Japan-Bangkok route? That is seriously bizarre. Really wish this airline were an option, legit every other deal besides Japan-Bangkok is great.

Ini
December 15th, 2015, 12:59
Why don't you just go to a travel agent and say "what's the cheapest return ticket to Bangkok on these dates"?