PDA

View Full Version : Facebook worry

BabyKing
December 6th, 2015, 09:17
So there is a JET pg on FB and alot of people are talking about what got them into their interest in Japan. Many people were influenced from when they were really young, like 6/7 young...I can barely remember what I had for breakfast let alone what I was doing at 6yrs old. There's also alot of people who are really good at Japanese, love anime, and love Japanese movies in the mix too. I think that these are all valid interests and pretty cool to read but I'm not anything like these people. I developed an interest 2yrs ago (@20yrs old) because I was volunteering with my local international organization. We put on an annual folk fair and I was in charge of keeping a couple of departments in line and overseeing their work and the Japan dept was one of my responsibilities for those 2 yrs. I never gave Japan a second thought before that but working with people from Japan and helping to organize events for american children to understand their culture is what made me interested in Japan. Hearing all these confessions of people loving Japan forever made me feel bad since I haven't been that way....I guess JET is looking for the anime/kangi/karate lover???? IDK current/former JETS what are your thoughts?

Gizmotech
December 6th, 2015, 10:31
Remember, this is in applying, not accepted JETs. There is a pretty big difference between people who are actually here, and the general dredges that actually apply.

Ini
December 6th, 2015, 12:38
Nobody likes a anime nerd. They crawl out the woodwork around jet application season, fail at the interview stage then slink back into their parents basements. JET isnt a "who loves Japan the best" contest. you'll be fine.

BabyKing
December 6th, 2015, 12:42
Ok! Its really fun to read everyone's interests though. I think I'm going to try to forget about JET til January an d focus on these finals!! I can't do JET if I don't pass European Federalism 1st...uggggghhhh

n107
December 6th, 2015, 20:24
Nobody likes a anime nerd. They crawl out the woodwork around jet application season, fail at the interview stage then slink back into their parents basements. JET isnt a "who loves Japan the best" contest. you'll be fine.

It seems as if fewer and fewer anime nerds are failing at the interview stage in recent years. I think more than half the ALTs I've met in this prefecture who have come within the last 3-4 years are all cosplaying anime fanatics.

Jiggit
December 6th, 2015, 22:16
That's because JET isn't really worth it anymore so the only people who want to take it are useless nerds who need their hands held all the way.

mrcharisma
December 7th, 2015, 08:13
Yeah since about 2013 each batch of fresh meat has gotten steadily more emotionally damaged, needy and obsessed with Sailor Moon.

Jiggit
December 7th, 2015, 08:20
Each batch of fresh meat serves as a timely reminder of why I'm probably better off not going home.

weepinbell
December 7th, 2015, 08:35
It seems as if fewer and fewer anime nerds are failing at the interview stage in recent years. I think more than half the ALTs I've met in this prefecture who have come within the last 3-4 years are all cosplaying anime fanatics.

Most of the ones I've met are p chill about it if they like any anime, but I'm sure that kind exists. The type of Japanophile I've most encountered here so far are the ones who think they're gaijin gods and goddesses of the land of the rising sun because they passed their N2 or have lived here/studied abroad prior to JET.

Also I think the emotionally damaged/nerdy factor comes from the change in generation tbh... us millennials are all suffering from crippling depression and anxiety and everyone else needs to cater to our obscure emotional triggers, didn't you know?

mothy
December 7th, 2015, 08:52
I think there's about the same amount of people anime obsessed who get in now as in my day. The change is more people who are very familiar with it because it was commonplace growing up.

x_stei
December 7th, 2015, 08:55
I think weep is right.

I think the people who come to Japan understand the social connotations of being an otaku and don't talk about it unless being asked about it by others.

There is nothing wrong with not being interested in Japan from a younger age. Rather, you stand to gain more from the JET experience because you don't know a lot of things regarding Japanese culture (I'm assuming). More things will be new to you. If you remain open-minded and refrain from quick judgement, I think you'll be fine.

uthinkimlost?
December 7th, 2015, 10:03
1. JET has a stable number of applicants per year.
2. JET cuts salaries.
3. JET opens up hundreds more vacancies.
4. JET accepts people it would have rejected in previous years.

Virgil
December 7th, 2015, 10:30
Yes, I'm sure previous JET participants were of a much higher standard.

Ini
December 7th, 2015, 10:31
stop, you're making me blush

Jiggit
December 7th, 2015, 10:38
1. JET has a stable number of applicants per year.
2. JET cuts salaries.
3. JET opens up hundreds more vacancies.
4. JET accepts people it would have rejected in previous years.

5. ????
6. PROFIT?

BabyKing
December 7th, 2015, 10:58
So I guess I'm left wondering, what type of people did JET accept before? All of the blogs that I've read vehemently denounced even whispering the word "anime" so I'm surprised that that so many otakus and weeaboos have gotten in. Lol should I be concerned?

Frap
December 7th, 2015, 11:00
So I guess I'm left wondering, what type of people did JET accept before? All of the blogs that I've read vehemently denounced even whispering the word "anime" so I'm surprised that that so many otakus and weeaboos have gotten in. Lol should I be concerned?

In my opinion, I think you should stop worrying about other applicants and just concentrate on yourself. Who cares who else gets on and what they're interested in? Just do the best you can and hope it is enough.

Jiggit
December 7th, 2015, 11:19

People who are smart enough to not reveal every aspect of their personality to prospective employers? It's not like I told them I was coming to Japan for better access to Junior Idol DVDs.

Frap
December 7th, 2015, 11:22
People who are smart enough to not reveal every aspect of their personality to prospective employers? It's not like I told them I was coming to Japan for better access to Junior Idol DVDs.

Ya, and I left out that I love thin eyed men.

Pup
December 7th, 2015, 12:45
It seems to me that interviewers tries to avoid those who are obsessed with Japan (as if it's their whole being) so I'd say you would be fine.

Also stop giving two shits about other people, you should just do your best

uthinkimlost?
December 7th, 2015, 12:55
Ya, and I left out that I love thin eyed men.

You just like to be the best hung in the bedroom.

Frap
December 7th, 2015, 13:02
You just like to be the best hung in the bedroom.

Now that was in my personal statement.

Jiggit
December 7th, 2015, 13:06
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/40391044.jpg

Claude Hammer
December 8th, 2015, 09:54

Frap
December 8th, 2015, 10:40
Something about Mary quiff

fryfry
January 13th, 2016, 13:43
I developed an interest 2yrs ago (@20yrs old) because I was volunteering with my local international organization. We put on an annual folk fair and I was in charge of keeping a couple of departments in line and overseeing their work and the Japan dept was one of my responsibilities for those 2 yrs. I never gave Japan a second thought before that but working with people from Japan and helping to organize events for american children to understand their culture is what made me interested in Japan.

I think if you get the chance to drop something like that during your interview, then go for it. You'll be fine.
Of course, this is coming from someone who hasn't interviewed at all yet, but that was genuine, brief, and showcased both your experience and interest in Japan.

I'll come out with it and say I LIKE anime, but it has been a recurring means of entertainment for me and nothing else. I'm also pretty jaded with TV shows in general, and the Land Of The Rising Sun has produced its fair share of crap. There's no way I would think this knowledge would help me out in a job interview (unless I was specifically asked about it, of course). And as far as the Japanese language is concerned, again I like it, but I expect to struggle through the Japanese portion of the interview if there is one. From what I hear, these people are more interested in your strengths and experience as a person than any lack of knowledge.