PDA

View Full Version : Cinemas in Japan - Dolby Atmos, HDR, etc?

Amleth
December 21st, 2015, 10:56
Probably heading over Tokyo way this coming break and since I heard Toho Cinemas have installed Dolby Atmos at a number of their venues I thought I might try to catch the new Star Wars while I'm over there. Can any local cinephiles recommend a good venue in particular? The "Atmos" check box can be achieved at a wide range of price points, so chains generally set up one or two "statement" venues where they do it up right, then cheap out on the rest. This will be my first chance to listen to an Atmos soundtrack and I want to experience its full potential. I've been waiting ages for cinema sound to go truly 3D.

Video-wise, I suppose Dolby HDR is bit too much to hope for? The Force Awakens is supposed to use it and I'd really like to see what high dynamic range 3D can do for a movie. I can't find anything searching in English that indicates any venues here are equipped for it yet, though, and there's only like 120 of them in the US so far...

Does anyone know if any other chains using Atmos yet? Or any flavour of HDR projection?

mrcharisma
December 21st, 2015, 11:18
You need to get laid.

webstaa
December 21st, 2015, 13:06
You're too early for Dolby Vision. A bunch of theaters have Atmos - unless you're in Tohoku or Hokkaido, I don't think you need to go all the way to Tokyo for an Atmos screening. And it's mostly a gimmick anyways. The only sounds that benefit from Atmos are non-stationary, panning sounds. It's barely an upgrade on reasonably well-mixed 7.1

Ini
December 21st, 2015, 13:17

3D・字幕・Dolby Atmos採用劇場は以下のとおり。

・千葉:TOHOシネマズ ららぽーと船橋
・千葉:イオンシネマ 幕張新都心
・大阪:TOHOシネマズ くずはモール
・和歌山:イオンシネマ 和歌山
・東京:TOHOシネマズ 日本橋
・名古屋:イオンシネマ 名古屋茶屋
・山口:シネマサンシャイン 下関
・京都:イオンシネマ 京都桂川
・千葉:USシネマ 木更津
・岡山:イオンシネマ 岡山
・東京:TOHOシネマズ 六本木ヒルズ
・埼玉:TOHOシネマズ ららぽーと富士見
・大分:TOHOシネマズ アミュプラザおおいた
・東京:TOHOシネマズ 新宿
・兵庫:アースシネマズ姫路
・大阪:TOHOシネマズ 梅田

webstaa
December 21st, 2015, 15:00
There's a searchable map on Dolby's website, just plug in Japan and navigate to whereever you want by region. It even filters by 7.1 and Atmos depending on what you're looking for.

Amleth
December 21st, 2015, 15:06
You're too early for Dolby Vision. A bunch of theaters have Atmos - unless you're in Tohoku or Hokkaido, I don't think you need to go all the way to Tokyo for an Atmos screening. And it's mostly a gimmick anyways. The only sounds that benefit from Atmos are non-stationary, panning sounds. It's barely an upgrade on reasonably well-mixed 7.1

I'm not going to Tokyo just to find an Atmos cinema, but I know there's a number there and if I'm in the area anyway... Basically, there's a grand total of one Atmos cinema I can find in all of Kyuushu and it's like five hours' drive from me, so if I'm gonna stay in a city where I have a choice of several, I'm gonna take advantage of that. I just don't know which one to choose, not being familiar with any of them.

I don't think Atmos is that much of a gimmick, though. It's the first format that genuinely takes surround out of the 2D plane and allows 3D positioning of virtual sources in space. Stuff can now go up and down as well as left and right and back and forth. There's a lot potential there to make 3D movies seem more lifelike and convincing given sounds can follow the "objects" that are ostensibly emitting them more closely. And that's before talking about channel-independent, virtualised sounds and individual addressing of speakers in the surround arrays, etc, which means even stationary sources can be located much more sharply. Yeah, a lot of sound engineers will still mix in a mostly channel-based fashion just for familiarity's sake, I'm sure, and the format allows them to do that, so just being Atmos doesn't guarantee anything new. However, if they fully embrace the new approach to mixing, it's just never been possible to define such a precise and three-dimensional soundscape before and some productions are going to take advantage of that. I'd expect Star Wars to be one such property; They certainly seem to be using any new tech they possibly can.

I figured Vision probably wasn't here yet, but I was kinda hoping at least a couple places might rush an install in time for Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if SW sets some box office records here and Dolby HDR could be used as a marketing chip for a location to try to snag a larger slice of that pie. Play up the location-exclusivity and "The way it's meant to be seen!" angles and make it a destination theatre for the title.