PDA

View Full Version : Indicate change of location preference at interview?

Meow
January 20th, 2016, 14:08
Hi all,

What are your thoughts on mentioning a new preference at the interview? The reason I ask is that I'm likely to be going with my partner (who isn't going to be with JET) and he has had a (yet to be confirmed) offer for a gig at Universal Studios Osaka. Is it just too late to throw that into the mix?

Let me know your thoughts!

R

Ini
January 20th, 2016, 14:46
You could mention it but unless you are married it wont make much difference.

Meow
January 20th, 2016, 14:54
You could mention it but unless you are married it wont make much difference.

Sorry - brain fart! We are. I'm just so used to saying 'partner'. If we aren't near USJ, he'll be going on a dependent visa.

weepinbell
January 20th, 2016, 16:40
Will you know for sure by the interview? They'll probably ask about your preferences anyway so just use that as an excuse to to bring it up. Can't hurt.

Jiggit
January 20th, 2016, 17:50
Like others have said, it can't hurt to ask, but I doubt they'd make any big effort to move you so if you don't know whether he's working there for sure. You will probably be able to apply for transfer after you arrive though if he does get the job.

webstaa
January 21st, 2016, 08:12
At my interview (now years ago) the double checked my location preferences with me and asked about other prefectures that had a lot of openings (a la the entire Tohoku region.) They might do the same for you.

Ini
January 21st, 2016, 08:29
theres no harm in bringing it up and they will probably stick a note on your application but theres no guarantee that it will make any difference. If by the grace of Odin the rest of your application/interview is pant wettingly good and you get shortlisted and then there is a contracting organisation within commuting distant of USJ that requests an ALT with your exact skill set then you could get it. If you just scrape by onto the shortlist/get made an alternative/every organisation around USJ is requesting Irish men of chinese origin who speak Portuguese and hold a heavy goods vehicle driving license then you could find yourself at the other end of the country. thats just the beauty of the JET programme.