PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to survive a not-so-great/bad interview?

7beachbum
February 2nd, 2016, 13:36
Hi! Today (Monday, February 1), I had my interview for the JET Program and... to say I bombed it would be a bit of a stretch. But I definitely don't feel it was my greatest interview. I felt more nervous than I should have and I don't think I aced it. I'm not sure if anyone reading this post has been shortlisted after a not-so-great/bad interview. But if you have, I would like to hear your story.

Also, at any one point during the interview, I was asked, "Are you nervous?" I said, "Yes." Do you think it's a bad sign for me that (a) one of the panelists asked me if I was visibly nervous? (b) asked me if I was nervous and (c) that I answered honestly.

trintrin
February 3rd, 2016, 04:46
I think I did a horrible job . Thought I was finished and they pulled a "but wait there's more." Conversation asseessment downstairs. It was a mental wtf

GodInStrafeMode
February 3rd, 2016, 10:22
Sure, have you seen the people that they let through the net?
Being nervous at an interview is natural and answering honestly is not going to hinder the outcome (at least in my opinion and I interview people all the time).

mothy
February 3rd, 2016, 10:48
Is it possible to survive a bad interview? Probably not. But is what you described a bad interview? No.
Interviewers go into the interviews looking for specific things, and unless you know what those things are, it's really not a worthwhile thing to dwell on the interview.

7beachbum
February 3rd, 2016, 12:46
Sure, have you seen the people that they let through the net?
Being nervous at an interview is natural and answering honestly is not going to hinder the outcome (at least in my opinion and I interview people all the time).

Just wondering, what do you mean by "have you seen the people that they let through the net?"

Jiggit
February 3rd, 2016, 12:47
Just wondering, what do you mean by "have you seen the people that they let through the net?"

80% of JETs are terrible.

Frap
February 3rd, 2016, 12:53

I'd say that was a generous statistic. You weren't at the Sapporo SDC.

mothy
February 3rd, 2016, 12:56
At what percentage of JETs being terrible do we just admit JET makes people terrible? I mean, I know it's true in my case.

Jiggit
February 3rd, 2016, 12:59
I dunno, I think most people who want to go to Japan do so because they're terrible people back home.

GodInStrafeMode
February 3rd, 2016, 13:18
I think all of your points are equally valid (and your statistics generous).

Gizmotech
February 3rd, 2016, 14:36

That's conservative.

GodInStrafeMode
February 3rd, 2016, 14:45
That's conservative.

Conservative but fair

acpc2203
February 3rd, 2016, 15:14
The number of self described otaku and neckbeards in JET is more than I thought.

ambrosse
February 3rd, 2016, 15:25
All the otaku folks in my area are jumping ship, lol.
They complain they need friends...but fail to realize that most of us don't want to spend our weekends in Nagoya at the Pokemon Center...

In short, dudebrobeachbum, I know of people here who I have no idea how they even functioned during their interview.
My panel asked me if I was nervous and I replied "yes" as well and I was shortlisted.
There is always a chance. Just as there's a chance for that one guy who shows up to the interview wearing jeans and an oil-stained hoodie and gets shortlisted.
JET isn't the end-all if you want to come to Japan. Don't fret. You've got a couple months of waiting. Don't make yourself miserable.
In the meantime, go on with life. Eat pizza. Be merry.

word
February 3rd, 2016, 15:54
They complain they need friends...but fail to realize that most of us don't want to spend our weekends in Nagoya at the Pokemon Center...

In short, dudebrobeachbum, I know of people here who I have no idea how they even functioned during their interview.
My panel asked me if I was nervous and I replied "yes" as well and I was shortlisted.
There is always a chance. Just as there's a chance for that one guy who shows up to the interview wearing jeans and an oil-stained hoodie and gets shortlisted.
JET isn't the end-all if you want to come to Japan. Don't fret. You've got a couple months of waiting. Don't make yourself miserable.
word

Frap
February 3rd, 2016, 16:07

oh i have a good friend in Mie

uthinkimlost?
February 3rd, 2016, 16:08
oh i have a good friend in Me

fixt.

mothy
February 3rd, 2016, 16:08
oh i have a good friend in Me

I bet you do.

mothy
February 3rd, 2016, 16:09
fixt.

Damn you! Seconds late!

acpc2203
February 3rd, 2016, 16:09
Only one?

Frap
February 3rd, 2016, 16:15
fixt.

I bet you do.

LOL

simplesam
February 4th, 2016, 01:08
RE: OP's Question

As many people have mentioned, your perception of your interview isn't really representative of your actual performance. Most of the time, people feel they did poorly and were shortlisted. Sometimes it's even the other way around, where they feel they did superb in the interview but didn't get the results they expected. I felt good about my interview last year and thought I crushed it but was only an alternate. It's really hard to predict how you come across. Just gotta keep calm and carry on while you wait for the results.

7beachbum
February 5th, 2016, 08:26
Is it possible to survive a bad interview? Probably not. But is what you described a bad interview? No.
Interviewers go into the interviews looking for specific things, and unless you know what those things are, it's really not a worthwhile thing to dwell on the interview.

It's nice to know that (a) appearing nervous in a job interview (b) apparently looking so nervous one panelist was compelled to ask, "Are you nervous?" (at least, I thought she was compelled to ask that question because of my body language) and (c) answering the question honestly doesn't qualify - in your opinion, at least - a bad interview.

Now that I think of it, the panelist who asked, "Are you nervous?" may have planned to ask that question since I don't think interviewers would ask that on the spur of the moment.

Anyway, one of the things I didn't like about my interview performance was that I didn't answer questions with enough enthusiasm. Not that I have to be super genki while interviewing for the position, but I thought that I should have responded with more enthusiasm. Also, when I was asked while I wanted to do JET again (I did JET from 2008-10), I focused on the fact I wanted to work in tourism in Japan - but maybe not enough on the working with the kids. Even when I spoke about wanting to work in tourism in Japan, I didn't do so enthusiastically. I did mention a desire to improve my Japanese - which would help me work in tourism in Japan and better ingratiate myself in my community.

I did have some good points during the interview - there were no filler pauses. I stated that - when asked differently - I would try institute pen pal writing and postcard exchange "schemes" (I should have used the word "programs). Also, I think I answered the following questions well - what was the biggest challenge I faced when I lived in the U.K. (I did my Master's there and I would say that the biggest challenge I faced was learning how to produce high quality work for British academia), situations where I faced conflict and stress and how I dealt with them.....

I could blabber about the interview. But I think I handled the mock lesson well - I was asked to teach students shapes. Pretty easy and I don't think I seemed too shocked to ask to do so. I think I came across as genki enough.

I'll stop for now because I could go on and on - maybe I will say more about the interview later. But I'm upset at myself because I got myself nervous for no reason, appeared nervous, wasn't as genki‚Äč as I would have liked and didn't expound on my answers like I should have.

weepinbell
February 5th, 2016, 08:46
I mean if you did JET and were shortlisted before, you know as much as any of us do about the interview process and shit... even if you don't get in this year, clearly you'd just be using JET this time around as a crutch to get into Japan to do something that's not ALTing, right? Why don't you apply to eikaiwa? The contracts and hours are more flexible and you'd mostly be working at night so you could use the day time to network and interview or take Japanese classes instead of just sitting at a desk in all your down time and looking at this damn website.

simplesam
February 5th, 2016, 09:41
I have a question that's kinda related to the interviews. How big of a deal is it to talk about them? I know some consulates had their applicants sign non disclosure agreements, but does anyone know anyone who had actually been disqualified for this?

webstaa
February 5th, 2016, 09:52
I've never seen or heard of an NDA for JET interview...

uthinkimlost?
February 5th, 2016, 09:54
I've never seen or heard of an NDA for JET interview...

You sign it when you arrive at the embassy.

GodInStrafeMode
February 5th, 2016, 10:36
I have a question that's kinda related to the interviews. How big of a deal is it to talk about them? I know some consulates had their applicants sign non disclosure agreements, but does anyone know anyone who had actually been disqualified for this?

Good question. If I worked there I would be scouring these pages to connect dots/ collect evidence. It's not really "fair" if you are giving up questions etc. before some people have even interviewed is it? [/back in my day rant]

Shincantsen
February 5th, 2016, 12:35
It's a possibility that both embassy and consulate staff are reading JET forums and groups. I heard of one person who was contacted and told to take his description of the interview down from Facebook, but he wasn't DQ'ed. Not a great idea to test the limits, though.

7beachbum
February 5th, 2016, 13:12
I mean if you did JET and were shortlisted before, you know as much as any of us do about the interview process and shit... even if you don't get in this year, clearly you'd just be using JET this time around as a crutch to get into Japan to do something that's not ALTing, right? Why don't you apply to eikaiwa? The contracts and hours are more flexible and you'd mostly be working at night so you could use the day time to network and interview or take Japanese classes instead of just sitting at a desk in all your down time and looking at this damn website.

I've actually done the eikaiwa route - and not super enjoyed it. Besides, don't they want ALTs to use their JET experiences as a stepping stone for Japan-related careers?

uthinkimlost?
February 5th, 2016, 13:30
I've actually done the eikaiwa route - and not super enjoyed it. Besides, don't they want ALTs to use their JET experiences as a stepping stone for Japan-related careers?

Why would they want that?

Ini
February 5th, 2016, 13:45
They want people to use their experience for Japan related careers outside of Japan..... The point of the JET programme is Japanese kids get to interact with a roundeye for a year or two so they hopefully dont end up as korean flag burning nationalist nut jobs who cant operate in a global society and then after a year or two said roundeye goes back to their own country full of warm memories of Japan so they can teach all their friends and colleagues that despite what they have heard Japan isnt full sandal wearing goldfish tenders. The plan wasn't to import huge numbers of unskilled foreign workers to contaminate the gene pool with their tainted blood and bring about the downfall of Japan with all their drugs and gun crimes.

GodInStrafeMode
February 5th, 2016, 13:56
They want people to use their experience for Japan related careers outside of Japan..... The point of the JET programme is Japanese kids get to interact with a roundeye for a year or two so they hopefully dont end up as korean flag burning nationalist nut jobs who cant operate in a global society and then after a year or two said roundeye goes back to their own country full of warm memories of Japan so they can teach all their friends and colleagues that despite what they have heard Japan isnt full sandal wearing goldfish tenders. The plan wasn't to import huge numbers of unskilled foreign workers to contaminate the gene pool with their tainted blood and bring about the downfall of Japan with all their drugs and gun crimes.

Probably the most serious/ on point post you've ever written *claps*

webstaa
February 5th, 2016, 15:15
You sign it when you arrive at the embassy.

Interesting. I never signed anything when I got to the Embassy, just turned in my paperwork and showed my ID. They marked me off on the list and that was it...

uthinkimlost?
February 5th, 2016, 15:18
Interesting. I never signed anything when I got to the Embassy, just turned in my paperwork and showed my ID. They marked me off on the list and that was it...

Mighta been a sub-clause in your stack of paperwork? It's possible your embassy didn't do it, but you'd be the first one I remember talking to that didn't sign one.

simplesam
February 5th, 2016, 15:19

It was in the paperwork. If you read the information release form, it was in there as a box to check off. If you guys had that, that is...every consulate has the same basic paperwork, just slight variations. At least that is my understanding.

fryfry
February 5th, 2016, 15:19
It's a possibility that both embassy and consulate staff are reading JET forums and groups. I heard of one person who was contacted and told to take his description of the interview down from Facebook, but he wasn't DQ'ed. Not a great idea to test the limits, though.
Great. and once they find your online persona, there's nothing to stop them from seeing how fucked up I a- I mean you are.
The other side of that coin, though, it that maybe it's a breach of protocol to observe a candidate's behavior online.

uthinkimlost?
February 5th, 2016, 15:21
Great. and once they find your online persona, there's nothing to stop them from seeing how fucked up I a- I mean you are.
The other side of that coin, though, it that maybe it's a breach of protocol to observe a candidate's behavior online.

I dunno, if they'd done it a few years ago they might have noticed ini's UKIP membership and word's beliefs on the nature of vulcan genitalia.

simplesam
February 5th, 2016, 15:21

Idk, part of that paperwork said they can ask you basically whatever they want in the interest of ensuring a primo candidate. Considering it's technically a government job, who knows....I mean, it's not like our government has ever breached the privacy of its citizens...

fryfry
February 5th, 2016, 15:23
I dunno, if they'd done it a few years ago they might have noticed ini's UKIP membership and word's beliefs on the nature of vulcan genitalia.
Things like these are why I foresee a long and fruitful non-life for myself on here.

fryfry
February 5th, 2016, 15:26
Idk, part of that paperwork said they can ask you basically whatever they want in the interest of ensuring a primo candidate. Considering it's technically a government job, who knows....I mean, it's not like our government has ever breached the privacy of its citizens...
Yeah, I know. Probably having a little too much fun playing with fire, here.

simplesam
February 5th, 2016, 15:35
Yeah, I know. Probably having a little too much fun playing with fire, here.

*speaks up loudly* I for one welcome our overlords...err, I mean leaders with open arms and trust their judgement! America!

fryfry
February 5th, 2016, 15:45
too bad I can't do a Bernie Sanders impression through text.

acpc2203
February 5th, 2016, 19:06
This needs to be on the official website.

CherryChieri
February 7th, 2016, 20:24
Re being nervous and interviewers asking about it - the former JET who nabbed me from the waiting room asked me that as we were going to the interview, maybe 10 seconds after grabbing me. I think it's just a general question, small talk - obviously if you're a weeping mess, they'll take it as bad nerves, but being nervous isn't necessarily bad. Being obviously nervous isn't necessarily bad. Since it was the former JET asking, I'm sure she was being kind and considerate, and probably thinking back to her own interview and how she felt. You're reading too much into it.

You just have to be less crap than most people, and it sounds like you weren't a horrible mess, so I'd say you didn't do too badly (but what would I know??). Not everyone can be on their A game 24/7.

Also, I never signed anything at the consulate (and haven't heard of other Australians doing it either). I don't think people should talk about it until interviews are over (at least in your country) because hey, competition! I've read stories about people getting out of their interview and having people who have yet to interview harass them on the spot, so clearly, some people need to just chill and be more confident in how they've prepared - if you aren't prepared, there's next year or another company or even another country.

If you want to work in tourism, why not work in tourism? Getting a diploma of travel/tourism isn't the hard (at least in my country) (and I'd say other formal studies of tourism wouldn't be too hard, especially if you already have a masters) or you could try to work for a tour company (not necessarily as a tour guide), build connections and go from there. Seems faster and without the pain of the application and waiting time... Not sure why you think the programme is there to bound off into other careers - after JET, they're done with you unless you get involved in interviewing or being a spokesperson for JET or something. There's plenty of foreigners in Japan, they don't really need more permanent ones and there's plenty of ways to get into Japan related careers without JET, so....

7beachbum
February 9th, 2016, 10:25
Re being nervous and interviewers asking about it - the former JET who nabbed me from the waiting room asked me that as we were going to the interview, maybe 10 seconds after grabbing me. I think it's just a general question, small talk - obviously if you're a weeping mess, they'll take it as bad nerves, but being nervous isn't necessarily bad. Being obviously nervous isn't necessarily bad. Since it was the former JET asking, I'm sure she was being kind and considerate, and probably thinking back to her own interview and how she felt. You're reading too much into it.

You just have to be less crap than most people, and it sounds like you weren't a horrible mess, so I'd say you didn't do too badly (but what would I know??). Not everyone can be on their A game 24/7.

Also, I never signed anything at the consulate (and haven't heard of other Australians doing it either). I don't think people should talk about it until interviews are over (at least in your country) because hey, competition! I've read stories about people getting out of their interview and having people who have yet to interview harass them on the spot, so clearly, some people need to just chill and be more confident in how they've prepared - if you aren't prepared, there's next year or another company or even another country.

If you want to work in tourism, why not work in tourism? Getting a diploma of travel/tourism isn't the hard (at least in my country) (and I'd say other formal studies of tourism wouldn't be too hard, especially if you already have a masters) or you could try to work for a tour company (not necessarily as a tour guide), build connections and go from there. Seems faster and without the pain of the application and waiting time... Not sure why you think the programme is there to bound off into other careers - after JET, they're done with you unless you get involved in interviewing or being a spokesperson for JET or something. There's plenty of foreigners in Japan, they don't really need more permanent ones and there's plenty of ways to get into Japan related careers without JET, so....

I won't stay long - and might say more later - but actually, it as the Japanese panelist who asked me, "Are you nervous?"

simplesam
February 9th, 2016, 12:09
I don't think people should talk about it until interviews are over (at least in your country) because hey, competition! I've read stories about people getting out of their interview and having people who have yet to interview harass them on the spot, so clearly, some people need to just chill and be more confident in how they've prepared - if you aren't prepared, there's next year or another company or even another country.

On the subject of competition, if I remember correctly, at this point, you're pretty much only competing with the people at your consulate. I could be wrong, but I feel like one of the coordinators that was on the forum expressed that to some effect...could be mistaken, though...

Virgil
February 9th, 2016, 12:18

Given the high volume of gay JETs, the last part probably won't be a problem.

uthinkimlost?
February 9th, 2016, 12:47
Given the high volume of gay JETs, the last part probably won't be a problem.

The ratio of gay/bisexual/frapposexual to straight does seem to be a bit above the average. Wonder why that is?

Do gays get "the fever"?

Inb4 ini jokes about depressed immune systems.

mothy
February 9th, 2016, 12:49
I always figured it was because Japanese people couldn't tell the difference between fabulous and genki.

Ananasboat
February 9th, 2016, 12:50
I've got a friend who's into Japanese "Dads," so he's got a bit of the fever.

simplesam
February 9th, 2016, 12:51
...I'm afraid to ask (because this is the internet), but what does that even mean...

mothy
February 9th, 2016, 12:52

Does this mean he's into drunks who are distant and angry with him for trapping him in a loveless marriage?

uthinkimlost?
February 9th, 2016, 12:54
I always figured it was because Japanese people couldn't tell the difference between fabulous and genki.

It is a fine line, to be sure.

DILF? DILF?! DILFDILFDILFDILF!!

Jiggit
February 9th, 2016, 12:59
I can see that, yeah. If you absolutely must have a slant eyed and want someone with a modicum of confidence.

Frap
February 9th, 2016, 13:07
loooooool

Virgil
February 9th, 2016, 13:07

I'm the opposite of this :kaosotnpmimikira:

Frap
February 9th, 2016, 13:11

ikr my slant eyed bf is older than me but looks half my age

what a dream~

uthinkimlost?
February 9th, 2016, 13:13

You're into young hispanic girls?

CherryChieri
February 9th, 2016, 13:45
On the subject of competition, if I remember correctly, at this point, you're pretty much only competing with the people at your consulate. I could be wrong, but I feel like one of the coordinators that was on the forum expressed that to some effect...could be mistaken, though...

I kinda assumed that, but never had it confirmed haha it would make sense, with each set of interviewers probably/possibly looking for different things and all

RoflCopter
February 9th, 2016, 23:12
...I'm afraid to ask (because this is the internet), but what does that even mean...

Sometimes it's better to not know.

AreAmEye
February 10th, 2016, 07:56

Frap
February 10th, 2016, 08:14
3 of my teachers love that show and told me i should watch it so i watched 7 episodes and then i stopped cause i had no actual clue what was going on

Rekrab
February 10th, 2016, 08:31
3 of my teachers love that show and told me i should watch it so i watched 7 episodes and then i stopped cause i had no actual clue what was going on

I think in addition to being very "Of the moment" That show suffers from the "You'll never understand so just enjoy it while it's happening" Effect.

Jiggit
February 10th, 2016, 08:33
I understand it. You just have to use your brain a little and not have the attention span of a child/American.

mothy
February 10th, 2016, 08:41
I have no idea what that show is, so I think I win here.

Frap
February 10th, 2016, 09:12
I understand it. You just have to use your brain a little and not have the attention span of a child/American.

7 episodes in and it didnt explain who that creepy emo girl was, why she followed that guy who isn't her dad even tho she's clearly depressed, what the numbers of the angels mean, etc, etc - i except at least to understand the direction something is going in after 7 episodes but i didnt n it put me off

Jiggit
February 10th, 2016, 09:18
i except at least to understand the direction something is going in after 7 episodes but i didnt n it put me off

Watch something simpler then. There are plenty of shows out there which take that long or longer to get to the big reveal(s).

AreAmEye
February 10th, 2016, 09:20
It's basically just Growing Pains for god-babies, test-tube-babies and crybabies.

...with robots n' stuff.

Frap
February 10th, 2016, 09:20
i like the theme tune~

Jiggit
February 10th, 2016, 09:22
It's basically just Growing Pains for god-babies, test-tube-babies and crybabies.

...with robots n' stuff.

... Aren't you thinking of Akira?

AreAmEye
February 10th, 2016, 09:25
I wasn't... but now that you mention it, I guess I could have been.

uthinkimlost?
February 10th, 2016, 09:30
... Aren't you thinking of Akira?

No, Trapper Keeper.

Jiggit
February 10th, 2016, 09:30
I don't remember God-babies in Evangelion, unless they've really fucked with it in these new movies.

AreAmEye
February 10th, 2016, 09:36
They've fucked with a fair bit... So far I seem to be the only one who doesn't mind.

But I was thinking of Ayanami in EoE - and sacrificing accuracy for (admittedly poor) humour.

simplesam
February 11th, 2016, 01:19
7 episodes in and it didnt explain who that creepy emo girl was, why she followed that guy who isn't her dad even tho she's clearly depressed, what the numbers of the angels mean, etc, etc - i except at least to understand the direction something is going in after 7 episodes but i didnt n it put me off

It probably doesn't help that the creator was having a mid-life crisis with simultaneous bouts of clinical depression and created the whole series as a middle finger to the very otaku that worshiped him. Every character and concept is basically supposed to be a twisted version of an anime archetype/stereotype almost to a degree of parody. Throw in a story that was made up as they went along, buckets and buckets of symbolism that means nothing other than "it looked cool at the time so we threw it in," and finish it off with the fact that they ran out of money before production was over, and you have a convoluted mess that's praised as one of the most quintessential anime of all time, or at least the late 90's/early 2000's before whatever cash cow franchise came out next (which ironically included remakes of the same freaking series...).

It's aight.

OatsCurrySummer
February 11th, 2016, 10:07
To answer your first question: yes, yes absolutely yes it is possible.
During my interview I froze up at the teaching portion and kept trying to use Japanese to help me despite the interviewer repeatedly telling me I couldn't. Also, I botched the Japanese language portion as well because I mixed up "nani" and "doko" like an idiot. Oh and did I mention my interviewer was the JET program co-ordinator for my entire city?

But guess what? I leave for Japan in four days.

I got put on the alternate list and got the upgrade call ten days before the December 18th cutoff for the program. Don't give up, you truly never know how its going to turn out!

Vancouver3
February 11th, 2016, 19:30
What do you mean by that that we are terrible people back home?

hiddenlee22
February 12th, 2016, 05:13
But guess what? I leave for Japan in four days.

Wouldn't happen to be leaving out of JFK would ya? I'm also leaving on Monday too.

OatsCurrySummer
February 12th, 2016, 05:26
Wouldn't happen to be leaving out of JFK would ya? I'm also leaving on Monday too.

Afraid not, I leave from Toronto Pearson with a stopover in Vancouver the same day. Congrats though!! You got a great placement!

uthinkimlost?
February 12th, 2016, 08:03
Aww, no steamy ALT mile-high club stories!

tetrishermit
February 14th, 2016, 01:06
I think I did a horrible job . Thought I was finished and they pulled a "but wait there's more." Conversation asseessment downstairs. It was a mental wtf

Really? They stopped you and talked to you downstairs? What happened?

fryfry
February 15th, 2016, 05:41
Really? They stopped you and talked to you downstairs? What happened?lol. To be frank, it sounds like trin might've done better than most of us, if his interviewers saw fit to spend even more time with them after the interview. I know I would've LOVED to be given a second chance afterwards.