PDA

View Full Version : I'll possibly be 36 when I start JET - would that be too old?

7beachbum
February 2nd, 2016, 17:05
I say "possibly" because I had a JET interview yesterday (February 1) but I think I bombed it. Of course, I could be wrong but I don't think I'll be getting into JET this year.

Anyway, I'm 35 now and I would really like to do JET again. But I would be 36 in July/August 2017 - assuming that (a) I don't get in this year and (b) I get in 2017. Do you think that would be too old and/or my age would be held against me? I know that CLAIR did away with the age limit and I know someone who was 36 when he started JET.

word
February 3rd, 2016, 00:16
Nah, I think Wicket did JET a second time when she was like 93 years old or something. You're fine. Your age *probably* won't be held against you, although the reasons why you're doing JET--an extremely low-paying, non-skilled, entry-level job with no opportunity of advancement--at your age may have been on the minds of the interviewers at the time.

That said, assuming you get in, you'll be a bit of an oddity, most likely. Most JETs are quite a bit younger.

Rekrab
February 3rd, 2016, 04:33
You'll be older, but not the oldest JET.

7beachbum
February 3rd, 2016, 05:32
You'll be older, but not the oldest JET.

Do you have any idea how old the oldest JET is?

Rekrab
February 3rd, 2016, 05:52
Nope, I've heard of 40+ year old ALTs though.

Ini
February 3rd, 2016, 06:04
Wasn't a JET but the oldest ALT I've ever worked with was 62.

7beachbum
February 3rd, 2016, 07:55
Nope, I've heard of 40+ year old ALTs though.

40+ year old ALTs in the JET Program?

webstaa
February 3rd, 2016, 08:10
There are several older JETs in my area - mid to upper 30s. You'll be fine.

There are also several other ALTs in my area that are older than the JTEs and HRTs they work with.

Jiggit
February 3rd, 2016, 08:18
Don't worry, being old in Japan isn't so bad. Just look at Ini and mothy.

uthinkimlost?
February 3rd, 2016, 08:18
40+ year old ALTs in the JET Program?

Yeah, it is only 40 "in principle". I've met several over 40.

mothy
February 3rd, 2016, 08:44
Wasn't a JET but the oldest ALT I've ever worked with was 62.

I just looked into my own future and had chills.

BifCarbet
February 3rd, 2016, 08:46
In my prefecture we have three ALTs and a CIR 36 or older.

uthinkimlost?
February 3rd, 2016, 08:53
I just looked into my own future and had chills.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z198/jimmyeightysix/Simpsons/Simpsons-ThatsaPaddlin_zps0ffeb18d.jpg

Ini
February 3rd, 2016, 10:06
Oldest Jet I met would have been 44. Came out at 39 and did 5 years.

uthinkimlost?
February 3rd, 2016, 10:08
You knew myargonauts?!?!1

GodInStrafeMode
February 3rd, 2016, 10:10
Second time on JET?
*alarm bells*
I wouldn't worry too much about the age thing but the majority of second time on JET people I've met (with the exemption of those who went ALT→CIR) are usually pretty psycho... Why do you want to do JET again?

acpc2203
February 3rd, 2016, 16:11
Second time on JET?
*alarm bells*
I wouldn't worry too much about the age thing but the majority of second time on JET people I've met (with the exemption of those who went ALT→CIR) are usually pretty psycho... Why do you want to do JET again?
Their life is in ruins

GodInStrafeMode
February 3rd, 2016, 16:24
Their life is in ruins

Hence my alarm bells. I've met a few second time ALTs in my time and WOW *shivers*

arumisan
February 3rd, 2016, 19:41
Re: OP's question

I think you'll be fine (assuming that you're only worried about your age). I spoke to one of the former JETs prior to my interview and he said that it's becoming more common for people who are older to apply for JET and it was around 50/50 in terms of working professionals and recent grads. All the people who I spoke to at the interview were working professionals (as I arrived early, I spoke to around 6 people). This is for Australia though.

7beachbum
February 4th, 2016, 04:33
Second time on JET?
*alarm bells*

How so? (in regards to being psycho). I want to do JET again because I would like to improve my Japanese and I enjoyed my JET experience the first time around.

Pup
February 4th, 2016, 08:16
We have a 42 year old JET currently in my BOE.

Though to his credit he looks like he hasn't aged over 30

Frap
February 4th, 2016, 08:25
the older jets dont seem to talk at orientation and skills development so they're alright by me

uthinkimlost?
February 4th, 2016, 08:27
How so? (in regards to being psycho). I want to do JET again because I would like to improve my Japanese and I enjoyed my JET experience the first time around.

-and you'll still enjoy it all these years later, making (much) less money for the same job?

Virgil
February 4th, 2016, 09:35
Just because they lead miserable lives in Japan they expect you to as well.

Well that odds are against you, but you could get lucky twice. Or you could just direct your life in a manner that gives you fulfillment, without having to rely on your job. I'm sure you're all going to find the dream job in your home country.

GodInStrafeMode
February 4th, 2016, 09:51

Fair enough. Most 2nd timers I met were desperately clinging to the past/ their time on JET and wanted to relive it ... guess what didn't happen (because they sat around talking about "the good old days" every chance they got)? I'm pretty sure there are a plethora of other ways you could improve your Japanese and/ or make your way back to Japan but by all means knock yourself out if JET really is your thing...

AreAmEye
February 5th, 2016, 10:59
I interviewed a couple of days ago. If all goes well, then I'll be 36 by the departure date.

There's a really tiny voice in the back of my brain telling me that I'm too old, that I'll be surrounded by twenty-somethings and that I'll be a pariah for it... but that voice can go fuck itself. I'm in my thirties, not my seventies.

...and even if I was in my seventies, it could still go fuck itself.

KyMLS
February 5th, 2016, 12:11
My husband and I just interviewed today. He's 32 and I'll be 30 by the time we go, if we get accepted.

7beachbum
February 5th, 2016, 13:05
I interviewed a couple of days ago. If all goes well, then I'll be 36 by the departure date.

There's a really tiny voice in the back of my brain telling me that I'm too old, that I'll be surrounded by twenty-somethings and that I'll be a pariah for it... but that voice can go fuck itself. I'm in my thirties, not my seventies.

...and even if I was in my seventies, it could still go fuck itself.

I like that attitude. Maybe I'm obsessed with returning to Japan, I've already started the next JET application - in my head. I'm prepared for not being shortlisted so I'm thinking how I can improve in all facets.

Jiggit
February 5th, 2016, 13:08
Come now, it's not just having zero social life that makes you unsuited. ALTs are meant to be hip young things who show kids that English is cool and exciting. How are they gonna feel when they end up with some crusty old loser with a paunch?

Ini
February 5th, 2016, 13:09
Why do you think JET is the only way to come to Japan?

Ini
February 5th, 2016, 13:12
How are they gonna feel when they end up with some crusty old loser with a paunch?

dunno, ask your current students? You're no spring chicken yourself these days.

7beachbum
February 5th, 2016, 13:15
Why do you think JET is the only way to come to Japan?

It isn't but it's the way I want to come to Japan

Jiggit
February 5th, 2016, 13:15
dunno, ask your current students? You're no spring chicken yourself these days.

How old do you think I am?

Ini
February 5th, 2016, 13:17
I'd guess around 26

AreAmEye
February 5th, 2016, 13:22
Come now, it's not just having zero social life that makes you unsuited. ALTs are meant to be hip young things who show kids that English is cool and exciting. How are they gonna feel when they end up with some crusty old loser with a paunch?

I'm hoping my awesome Naruto headband and sweet Infernape tattoo will distract them from the beer belly and jowls.

Jiggit
February 5th, 2016, 13:22
Don't tell me the term Christmas Cake applies to men too!

uthinkimlost?
February 5th, 2016, 13:35
It isn't but it's the way I want to come to Japan

Why?

uthinkimlost?
February 5th, 2016, 13:36

Better start the hunt for foolish young gaijinesses to impregnate you!

GodInStrafeMode
February 5th, 2016, 13:43
Why?

Because tourism udinkimhost, can't you read?

Ini
February 5th, 2016, 13:50

At your age you should have one kid in preschool, another on the way, be paying off the mortgage on your house and your wife should be slowly starting to resent you.

Jiggit
February 5th, 2016, 13:56
That's fine, 2d women are better than real women anyway.

7beachbum
February 5th, 2016, 14:25
Why?

It just is. It's hard to explain but that's the case.

Jiggit
February 5th, 2016, 14:55
It's hard to explain

To us or to yourself?

the4ork
February 5th, 2016, 15:04
At your age you should have one kid in preschool, another on the way, be paying off the mortgage on your house and your wife should be slowly starting to resent you.

:lol: 5408

Making for some great late night reads here.

uthinkimlost?
February 5th, 2016, 15:08
It just is. It's hard to explain but that's the case.

That sounds like nostalgia, bruh. That gets a little dangerous. Even for me, re-entering into a different school immediately on JET would not be the same experience, even without the years separating runs.

Plus, the honest truth is that JET isn't much different than Interac-ing, these days. The pay has gone way down, the pay you do get is being taxed, and some of the benefits are being stripped. (I'm in the last group under the old pay scale.) The only thing keeping the JET Programme going is the weeb perception of it being a path to the promised land.

Through other means, you can come in on your own time, and do your own thing, with the only tangible difference being the flight.

uthinkimlost?
February 5th, 2016, 15:09
:lol: 5408

Making for some great late night reads here.

the fourork?

the4ork
February 5th, 2016, 15:13
the fourork?

Supposed to be "the4rk", but I've been going by the handle "the4ork" instead for over a decade elsewhere. Long story. :roll:

GodInStrafeMode
February 5th, 2016, 15:16
To us or to yourself?

What about to the interview panel?

Gizmotech
February 5th, 2016, 16:02
Ini what is this? you're being nice for some reason...

start to resent you... they resented you the minute the first one was out of their cooch, and they only let you do number two because they were drunk and lonely one night.