PDA

View Full Version : News from Interac

Ananasboat
February 4th, 2016, 20:17
There's apparently an email coming to Interac workers that will ruin the company's image? I'm not sure what this is entirely, and I'm not Interac myself, but I'm awaiting confirmation from other people right now.

Let's discuss in this thread.

uthinkimlost?
February 4th, 2016, 20:19
Interac's got an image?

mothy
February 4th, 2016, 21:01
All Interac ALTs will get paid a livable wage?

word
February 5th, 2016, 01:05
http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20160204/p2a/00m/0na/015000c

Gizmotech
February 5th, 2016, 15:59
Reddit has been going on about it since last night.

simplesam
February 6th, 2016, 13:15
http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20160204/p2a/00m/0na/015000c

Does JET have anything to do with that? I'm honestly not to clear about the various ALT organizations and how/if they're related to each other.

word
February 7th, 2016, 10:06
Does JET have anything to do with that? I'm honestly not to clear about the various ALT organizations and how/if they're related to each other.

No. But also yes, a little.

Interac is a private dispatch company. It provides ALTs to schools. The ALTs in question work for Interac, not the local board of education. Interac is known for its sh*tty pay but is essentially the largest and possibly most "legitimate" private dispatch company. JET is a program that screens ALTs and flies them over to Japan, but the ALT is then hired directly by the local (or prefectural) board of education. JET is known for its slightly less sh*tty pay, the free flights, and the general sort of shared sense that it is the "best" way to become an ALT (well, better than a dispatch company, anyway). JET and Interac have nothing to do with one another, aside from the fact that they both have something to do with ALTs/teaching English.

However, to lots o' Japanese people, the differences between the two probably mean f*ck-all. ALTs are ALTs, and this will probably reflect negatively on everyone involved in the English education field in the minds of more than a few J-folks.

Ebi - Teaching & Lesson Plans

simplesam
February 7th, 2016, 10:35
Hmm, okay, I think that makes a little more sense to me. Thanks for explaining.

Torinn88
February 7th, 2016, 17:14
Bribery and political favors in Japan?! *gasp*

What's next? You gonna tell me that the theme park my school has field trips to every year might have some under the table dealings with us.