PDA

View Full Version : How are you notified of your JET status in April? Email, mail, or both? JET 2016

JPNLKatie
February 16th, 2016, 02:40
Hello,

I applied to JET 2016, did the application, went through the nerve-wracking interview and everything. Now I just need to wait to hear back from the JET Office about my results in April. The thing is, I intend to move across country mid-April and I'm worried about letters from the JET Office being lost in the mail once I switch addresses. What I want to know is how the JET Office notifies aspiring JETs about their status in April? Is it by email, by letter, or will they send both? I realize that the JET Program changes their MO slightly year to year, but I'm hoping someone who applied to JET last year can tell me how they were informed.

Thanks in Advance

Edit*: I'm American, by the way.

(Note: "you JET" should be "your JET" in the title. I can't fix it)

Fantasylife
February 16th, 2016, 18:44
It varies country to country. I'm American and was notified by email. where are you from?

JPNLKatie
February 16th, 2016, 22:49
Oh, sorry, forgot to mention it. I'm American as well. If we are notified by email, then that's great.

thecatalyst
February 16th, 2016, 23:04
I'm in the same boat. I am moving in March, so I have set up a mail redirection and am hoping for the best. I suppose, in the event that we don't receive letters and we don't hear back by a reasonable time, it would be fine to email and receive the good news (or crushing blow) over the phone from a consulate member at the embassy. I don't think it's a case of "well we couldn't reach them by this method, too bad/so sad" kind of thing, and if it is then... well.

webstaa
February 17th, 2016, 08:11
Several years on now, but I got both - a short email with a letter attached, and the actual letter in the mail a few days later. However, you might want to contact your consulate/JET coordinator and let them know your address is changing.

simplesam
February 17th, 2016, 16:57
Last year, I was notified by email only. I don't think I got any physical mail except for the letter saying my application had been processed in January a few weeks before the interview list was released. Otherwise, everything was pretty much by email, and even then, that was all by email or JET Inbox this year. You can ask your coordinator at the consulate you interviewed at if you're concerned. From this point on, they're your main point of contact for anything JET related.

Ananasboat
February 17th, 2016, 18:45
You should get an email as well as a letter. Like webstaa said, tell them that you intend to change your address, but keep in mind that when you actually leave for Japan you need to leave from the consulate location you applied to.

Gizmotech
February 17th, 2016, 21:02
I was notified by telepathic kittens.

JPNLKatie
February 17th, 2016, 23:09
Yes, thank you. I suppose I will do that. I was a bit worried though that if I mentioned to them that I am moving to the other side of the country that it would hurt my chances, but that shouldn't be the case right? I'm suppose to leave from the Washington DC location which is part of B Group, and all the departure locations near where I'm going to live are all part of A Group, so that is a bit of a bummer. I'm planning on just buying myself a one-way ticket to DC the day before departure.

By the way, I heard there is a pre-departure orientation. Is the orientation the day of departure or the day before departure? If it is the day before departure, does the JET program provide hotel accommodations?

webstaa
February 18th, 2016, 08:17
By the way, I heard there is a pre-departure orientation. Is the orientation the day of departure or the day before departure? If it is the day before departure, does the JET program provide hotel accommodations?

Pre-departure orientation is usually just a couple of lectures, preceded by a roll call, and followed by consular staff handing out your paperwork and passports (with brand spanking new visas in them.) When I left via Chicago, it was the day before departure - at a hotel, with accommodations provided at the same hotel. There was also a dinner hosted by the Consulate-General. In the morning, they then shuttle everyone to the airport (just down the road) and make sure everyone gets on the plane (consular staff goes through security and sees you off at the gate.)

If short-listed, I'd plan on heading out to DC two days early - just in case. Should you miss PDO or the flight JET provides, it's going to be fun.

uthinkimlost?
February 18th, 2016, 09:08
Pre-departure orientation is usually just a couple of lectures, preceded by a roll call, and followed by consular staff handing out your paperwork and passports (with brand spanking new visas in them.) When I left via Chicago, it was the day before departure - at a hotel, with accommodations provided at the same hotel. There was also a dinner hosted by the Consulate-General. In the morning, they then shuttle everyone to the airport (just down the road) and make sure everyone gets on the plane (consular staff goes through security and sees you off at the gate.)

If short-listed, I'd plan on heading out to DC two days early - just in case. Should you miss PDO or the flight JET provides, it's going to be fun.

We didn't get our passports back until we were at the airport, as apparently there had been 'issues' in the past.

moonbeam
February 18th, 2016, 11:41
Did you interview at DC? Because they call if you're shortlisted. Everything else is by email.

JPNLKatie
February 18th, 2016, 12:44
Yes, I interviewed at DC. So they are going to call me? I suppose that'll work too. But if I'm not shortlisted, will they still call me? Or will I get an email saying I'm an alternate/not accepted?

weepinbell
February 18th, 2016, 12:52
Pretty sure the only place that still does snail mail is the UK? Correct me if I'm wrong but last year I don't think anyone in the US got a letter, only by email, phone, or both.

moonbeam
February 18th, 2016, 13:05
Yes, I interviewed at DC. So they are going to call me? I suppose that'll work too. But if I'm not shortlisted, will they still call me? Or will I get an email saying I'm an alternate/not accepted?

They'll email if you're an alternate/not accepted. But yeah, give them a call and let them know about your change of address. They'll definitely want to know--don't worry, they're pretty nice lol.

fryfry
February 18th, 2016, 13:23
They'll email if you're an alternate/not accepted. But yeah, give them a call and let them know about your change of address. They'll definitely want to know--don't worry, they're pretty nice lol.
edit: nevermind. I didn't interview in D.C., so I guess it might be different for me. But every communication I've had so far has been through the computer. Do they generally prefer to let shortlisted's know via other means?

moonbeam
February 18th, 2016, 13:33
Do they generally prefer to let shortlisted's know via other means?

DC does, though I don't know about other consulates. I think the Miami coordinator said he prefers calling shortlisters as well.

acpc2203
February 18th, 2016, 13:36
I got an email followed up by a letter. They also called me in between to check that I got the email.

moonbeam
February 18th, 2016, 15:45
If it is the day before departure, does the JET program provide hotel accommodations?

Oh, and they miiight not provide accommodation. Last year they didn't but apparently Tokyo started phasing it in for some locations? So who knows, you might get it this year. But it's also a ways off so I doubt you have to worry about it now.