PDA

View Full Version : Candles

CherryChieri
March 15th, 2016, 20:04
Maybe a strange one, but can I pack candles to take to Japan?

I make them as a hobby and don't really want to sell/chuck all my remaining stuff. I'd take maybe a small bag's worth? Tealights for the most part, with a few bigger ones (small jars) to repel mosquitoes.

I can't really see the answer as being no, and I doubt I wouldn't be allowed them in my apartment, but y'know, thought I'd ask.

Thoughts?

Zolrak 22
March 15th, 2016, 20:12
As long as it's not a Gel type candle, then you should be able to fly with them.

You could probably give them away as presents if you felt you needed to hand anything out.

Though I gotta ask, wouldn't it be more entertaining to start from scratch in Japan? Maybe find new variations of tools you couldn't get in your area?

CherryChieri
March 15th, 2016, 20:49
Nah, they're soy.

I probably won't take my making materials with me just yet (too much bulk in any case, maybe after a trip home?), so if I decided to continue making them I'd probably buy stuff in Japan. Kitchen goods are cuter too ;p

But I'd definitely love to give Japanese candle making a try! Might be a good thing to look into for winter break actually...

Thanks for answering!

Jiggit
March 15th, 2016, 23:04
Your hobby is making vegan candles? Jesus fucking Christ.

mrcharisma
March 16th, 2016, 00:26
You can bring your candles but there's no Muslim Lesbian One-Armed Outreach Centres to hang around in here.

CherryChieri
March 16th, 2016, 04:42
Aren't you guys a riot?

Soys easier to get and doesn't smoke up the place. Nothing more.

Ananasboat
March 16th, 2016, 07:25
Yes, we're all very welcoming of new people and their questions and their hobbies. This place totally isn't full of trolls.

My friend made candles the other weekend, they turned out really nice. You should be able to buy supplies on rakuten or amazon or iherb if you were looking to get your hobbie done in Japan.

uthinkimlost?
March 16th, 2016, 07:40
The unlabeled candles might be an issue, but your bigger issue is that odds are good they'll melt in the summer heat of Japan.

CherryChieri
March 16th, 2016, 07:55
Yes, we're all very welcoming of new people and their questions and their hobbies. This place totally isn't full of trolls.

My friend made candles the other weekend, they turned out really nice. You should be able to buy supplies on rakuten or amazon or iherb if you were looking to get your hobbie done in Japan.

Clearly ;p

It's a surprisingly easy hobby to get into! I made ones in pineapple shaped jars recently, but I know they'd get smashed to bits before arriving, so they'll have to be gifted away :( Thanks for the site suggestions :)

The unlabeled candles might be an issue, but your bigger issue is that odds are good they'll melt in the summer heat of Japan.

Ah never thought of that. Might be able to get some labels cheaply. Could always box it up as a gift too. Maybe. We've been having 40C+ lately and they did fine, even ones sitting in full sun. Japan's summer is a bit different to my summer, but there's only one way to find out!

Thanks again for the responses :)

Ananasboat
March 16th, 2016, 08:16
I'll take your pineapple jars...

Frap
March 16th, 2016, 08:23
There's a nice candle shop in Sapporo.

BambooTelegraph
March 16th, 2016, 08:35
You'll definitely be a hit with the shibari crowd!

Ananasboat
March 16th, 2016, 09:08

Soy candles burn too hot if you've got scents and dyes in them. This PSA was brought to you by G.I. Joe.

CherryChieri
March 16th, 2016, 10:01
There's a nice candle shop in Sapporo.

I'll keep that in mind :)

Why do you think I'm really asking about candles?? ;p

Soy candles burn too hot if you've got scents and dyes in them. This PSA was brought to you by G.I. Joe.

Very true! Pick your candles carefully folks!

GodInStrafeMode
March 16th, 2016, 16:14

I, for one, welcome our new soy candle queen.

Seriously though, don't let the trolls get you down Cherry, I'm sure their "hobbies" are waaay more cringeworthy than making candles

uthinkimlost?
March 16th, 2016, 16:57

Is Cherry the new Boxxy?!?!

acpc2203
March 16th, 2016, 20:18

Seriously though, don't let the trolls get you down Cherry, I'm sure their "hobbies" are waaay more cringeworthy than making candles
Pretty much everyone's hobby here is getting black out drunk.

CherryChieri
March 16th, 2016, 20:35

-puts on crown- Finally! My one talent getting the respect it deserves!

I just don't get trolling in general, but trolling about candle making? Like, whats there to troll about?? haha

Is Cherry the new Boxxy?!?!

...Should I want to be the new Boxxy..??

Jiggit
March 16th, 2016, 23:58
I'm not trolling, I'm being entirely honest.

Ananasboat
March 17th, 2016, 00:03
Jiggit, u no u my b00, but:

Your hobby is making vegan candles? Jesus fucking Christ.

is not something you can be "honest about." There is one restatement of the OP and the name of a fictional superhero, neither of which are opinions for which you can give a level of honesty to.

CherryChieri
March 17th, 2016, 05:49
Have fun with that then.

Not really sure what's wrong with candle making? If it's the soy thing, that's lame on your part so w/e

mothy
March 17th, 2016, 07:41
Ignore them. They're just so used to answering questions about bringing life size dolls to Japan that they don't know how to handle questions about legitimate hobbies.

Frap
March 17th, 2016, 08:18
People throw around "troll" too much these days.

As soon as someone shows a little sass, they're "trolling." The word is almost as annoying as "neckbeard."

Instead of perpetuating the misuse of "trolling", just ignore any posts that you disagree with. Easy!

acpc2203
March 17th, 2016, 08:21
People throw around "troll" too much these days.

As soon as someone shows a little sass, they're "trolling." The word is almost as annoying as "neckbeard."

Instead of perpetuating the misuse of "trolling", just ignore any posts that you disagree with. Easy!
ty for standing up for neckbeard trolls like me

Ananasboat
March 17th, 2016, 08:26
You could also just as easily not hit "send" when you're being sassy at someone.

acpc2203
March 17th, 2016, 08:28
You could also just as easily not hit "send" when you're being sassy at someone.
Heh

Frap
March 17th, 2016, 08:29

o ya because you're all strawberries and sunshine!!~~

Frap
March 17th, 2016, 08:30
strawberries and sunshine!!~~

coincidentally would make a lovely candle flavour

GodInStrafeMode
March 17th, 2016, 09:04
Not really sure what's wrong with candle making? If it's the soy thing, that's lame on your part so w/e

Yeah, not sure how you gunna hate on someone for this? "Yo! you make soy candles in your spare time, what a loser you must be"
Grasping at straws I guess (or more like clamouring for attention)?

Jiggit
March 17th, 2016, 09:10
Buncha hippies and hippy lovers in here.

Frap
March 17th, 2016, 09:11

http://www.temptationgifts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/a/yankee-candle-season-of-peace-sampler-candle-1275354e.jpg

Ananasboat
March 17th, 2016, 10:14
o ya because you're all strawberries and sunshine!!~~

We're trying to encourage the new people. You tea sippers are open season for me.

GodInStrafeMode
March 17th, 2016, 10:24

Look out, honesty bombs :roll:

Hypno-Bro
March 17th, 2016, 14:22
Hahaaha

Frap is the funniest

Frap
March 17th, 2016, 14:24
Hahaaha

Frap is the funniest

um

i swear this isn't a fake account i made

uthinkimlost?
March 17th, 2016, 14:26
um

i swear this isn't a fake account i made

We already knew you had sockpuppet accounts, Azrael.

Hypno-Bro
March 17th, 2016, 14:27
Hahahaaha

Frap has done it once again - he has made me laugh

but he needs everyone else in order for him to be funny kind of like Seinfeld - the show not the person :|

GodInStrafeMode
March 17th, 2016, 14:44
So we've got our newly-appointed soy candle queen and a very genki vault dweller.
Everything's comin' up milhouse if you ask me

uthinkimlost?
March 17th, 2016, 14:49
Wasn't Vault 77 in his neck of the woods?

Hypno-Bro
March 17th, 2016, 14:49
Haha

I easily laugh so even that statement showed me a good time "genki vault dweller" hehehe

Frap
March 17th, 2016, 14:51
lol wtf am i getting punk'd ?!?!

Hypno-Bro
March 17th, 2016, 14:53
Hahaha Frap stop it - seriously I can only take so much

Virgil
March 17th, 2016, 14:53
Haha

I easily laugh so even that statement showed me a good time "genki vault dweller" hehehe

Just do each other already. I'll watch :popcorn:

uthinkimlost?
March 17th, 2016, 14:55
frap, this is pretty sad. Do the other people in the staffroom wonder why you're typing on your phone and your comp?

Hypno-Bro
March 17th, 2016, 14:56
ew stop - no. Frap is a forever friend - even if that may turn out to be a one-way street

wait a second - who is doing the doing? And to whom?

Frap
March 17th, 2016, 14:57
frap, this is pretty sad. Do the other people in the staffroom wonder why you're typing on your phone and your comp?

LOLOL