PDA

View Full Version : FBI Background Check

jetting?
March 23rd, 2016, 17:57
I might have royally screwed myself by how late this is......

BUT! How do people who applied from Japan do their FBI checks?

Thanks!!

JPNLKatie
March 23rd, 2016, 22:58
My consulate emailed me in February saying something along the likes of "It is not required to start submitting background checks until notification of acceptance status but we recommend that applicants get started on submitting their background checks early." This is because the FBI is taking longer to do background checks this year. Backed-up on background checks. In the email my consulate provided me instructions on how to submit the background check, including the address they want it sent to. Not every consulate has sent out emails like this. They usually don't send this information until your shortlisted/alternate status has been confirmed. However, if you want to get started on the background check, you will need to email your consulate to get the directions and the address it will need to be sent to. My consulate is DC, by the way.

But you're in Japan? I'm not really sure how people who are currently in Japan do their FBI Checks. I'm sure they should still inform you how to do it when you get your status notification. Still, it doesn't hurt to email them and ask ahead of time.

fryfry
March 24th, 2016, 02:56
Well. It's not that hard to find out HOW to do it through Google. (Though I believe the FBI website refers to it as an "Identity Summary History".) The instructions are pretty straightforward. Fingerprinting was probably the most time/energy-intensive part. On that subject, how did everyone here go about the fingerprinting? I decided it was safer to go with a professional fingerprinter, and ended up having it done at one of the World Trade Center buildings in my city. Gave me an official-looking card for it and everything.

Anyway, I printed/filled out the forms, combined them with the fingerprinting card, and sent it in to the specified address. Note:There is an option on the main form to have results mailed somewhere besides your return address. My consulate preferred results to be sent directly back to them, since this is time-sensitive.

Edit: Even with that, I agree it is best to contact your embassy/consulate JET coordinator guy/gal about this process.

JPNLKatie
March 24th, 2016, 03:29
I had my fingerprinting done by a fingerprinting technician down at my local police department. I had two cards filled out just in case one got rejected. It cost $10 for the first one and $5 for the additional one. I sent that in over a month ago. When I sent it in, I put a tracking number on the package. I'm sure they received it but I have no idea how to go about checking my current status of my application. Of course, I'm sure they haven't gotten to it yet, but I want to know if it has been accepted or not.

fryfry
March 24th, 2016, 03:53
The technician who did my fingerprints did sort of a guffaw when I told him about the FBI's 13+ week turnaround. He said they just tell you that to make you do it early, and that he's sure It'd get done a few days. :p Anyway, here's hopin'. Same here; I assume it'd only serve as an annoyance to call and check on it.

simplesam
March 24th, 2016, 05:52
My background check took 3 months to complete last year. Apparently, it used to be faster, but in 2014 they switched to an automated system that somehow made the whole process take MUCH longer, yet was somehow more "efficient" than how things used to be done. I don't get it, but oh well. At any rate, although it was recommended to most candidates that they got the background check out of the way early, they probably won't penalize you if you wait until results come in. Our consulate told us we could wait if cost was an issue, so maybe that's the same for everyone else?

ESID and always ask your consulate for verification. There's nothing WE can do really about the government taking their dear sweet time for no real discernible reason.

berikyuu
March 24th, 2016, 06:32
Got mine done about a week after I got the email from my consulate.

ThroneofBlood
March 24th, 2016, 06:41
I recall reading that you go to the consulate/embassy of your home country in Japan and that's where they do everything. In any case, your consulate/embassy will definitely point you in the right direction.