PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Alternates Thread

simplesam
March 31st, 2016, 05:07
Hey everyone! Now that the results are coming out, everyone is either starting to get excited about their shortlist status or coming to terms with rejection.

Well, that is, everyone except for all of us alternates. We get to enter JET purgatory, or as I like to call it, Interview Results: Part 2.

To avoid emoing up the other threads and give a safe place for us to discuss (read: complain about) various alternate issues and questions, I've made this thread.

First off, DO YOUR PAPERWORK. There is still a VERY GOOD chance you will be upgraded in the next few months. There are plenty of people who are going to drop out for various reasons, whether they found something better of just decided that they didn't want to be part of JET anymore. Your chances are actually still pretty good right now, up until about late May or early June (when some might start rejecting placements). And on top of that, you'll get a handful of flyjins - JET applicants who leave either DURING Tokyo Orientation or the first few weeks of being in Japan because they couldn't handle the transition. Upgrades will start pouring in before the reply deadline is even reached and start trickling to almost a full stop (but not completely) by the end of Summer. Just read the old threads here on ITIL if you don't believe me. Several frequent posters on here were once alternates, even late year alternates. It happens.

But at the same time, start coming to terms with the fact it may not happen. For every success story, there is a second year applicant who was a not-upgraded alternate the year before (or if you're truly unfortunate, alternate two years in a row like yours truly...), so start making back up plans. Apply for jobs, grad school, other study/work abroad, etc. if you haven't already. Now is the time. You don't want to regret not having anything else in the mix in case things don't go through.

The next couple months will be emotional, but hang in there. Sooner than you think, upgrades will start coming in. In the meantime, just live your life. It's what you were meant to do anyways.

DjgoofyG
March 31st, 2016, 05:50
Hey everybody long time lurker here.
I was interviewed at the LA consulate. Well when I received the news I felt well pretty empty, it's just the prospect of more waiting that kills me. Anyway I'll just continuing living my life. Still mulling my options if I don't get in. Probably look into other programs in Japan such as eikaiwas or private ALT dispatch companies, teaching esl in other countries in Asia, or do a working holiday visa in Australia.

WhiteFang
March 31st, 2016, 11:53
I'd love to fill out my paperwork, but they didn't send me any paperwork! :(

oh, and I'm an Alt ALT from ATL! :)

simplesam
March 31st, 2016, 12:38
I should have probably stated that I was an Alternate from Houston, lol...

Sorry to hear about your paperwork. Have you emailed them? Which departure group are in you in (A or B)? Houston, once again, made a snafu (this time, far less serious) and sent us BOTH sets of Reply Forms, so I can probably give you a gist of what you need to get together to send it off while you wait.

WhiteFang
March 31st, 2016, 12:50
Naw, they said in the email that we would be getting our stuff shortly and that we really shouldn't contact them until then! Sounds like Atlanta and Houston need to get their act together! I'm pretty sure Atlanta is group A, if I remember the application correctly. We didn't even get our reply forms. Basically I just got an email that said "You're an alternate. Stand by for more details."

simplesam
March 31st, 2016, 14:20
Lol, Atlanta sounds like fun. Bureaucracy!

Well, at any rate, the paperwork isn't too hard. As long as you've already done the FBI Background Check and made a photocopy of it, you should be fine. For me, the problem I'm facing is I don't have a passport (I know, right? I went to Mexico all the time, and I don't have one...but you didn't need one where I was from as long as you had a birth certificate...), so I don't know how I'm gonna send them a photocopy of that. There's an option for "currently applying for one" so I marked that and emailed my coordinator to see what else I can do.

simplesam
March 31st, 2016, 15:07
Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to say hey DjgoofyG! Welcome!

Right now the US Aspiring Thread has a discussion of JET alternatives going on if you want to join in. Some of the suggestion that have been thrown at me where Interac for Japan and South Korea, which is apparently popular.

WhiteFang
March 31st, 2016, 21:16
Welcome to limbo! :) don't worry! I was pretty upset yesterday, but I'm feeling better about it now! Keep smiling and living your life!

@sam
I actually do love Atlanta! :) I'd like to teach there if I don't get upgraded!

Yeah, about that background check. I did that like a month ago and sent it off, but nowhere did it say I needed a photo copy of it before I sent it, so I don't have one. Do you think they'd mind (or notice) if I just filled out an FBI Background check form again and sent that? I can't imagine that would be an issue, but you never know. Do they also want a copy of your fingerprints? Because I do have a copy of those.

I got got my passport when I traveled to Japan last year. Right now my only issue is that I don't have a copy of my FBI form.

simplesam
March 31st, 2016, 21:33
Ours specifically asked for a photocopy of the FBI form and specifically not for the fingerprints. They also asked for any receipts we have to verify we sent off the paperwork.

If your coordinator ever gets back to you, I would ask what you could do to verify you sent things off. They may ask you to refill the form just to have something on file, but idk. ESID, as always.

WhiteFang
March 31st, 2016, 21:44
I think I actually still have the mailing receipt in my car. One of the few times being messy will save my sorry butt! :)

what else do Alts do? Is it just a waiting game? Do they ever release how many are on the waiting list and if you are top or bottom half of it? Or are we just forever in a state of "I don't know?" :)

mothy
March 31st, 2016, 21:58
I wasn't an alternate, but after observing alternates for about 9 years on this site, my advice is just move on with your life. You'll never know if you'll be upgraded or not. You're in limbo, but don't act like you're in limbo. Move on with your life. If you end up getting upgraded later and you still want to go, cool. What a nice surprise. If you get upgraded and are now in a place where you don't want to go, cool. Sounds like life is going well. If you never get upgraded, oh well. At least you didn't waste anymore time on something that you have absolutely zero control over.

word
March 31st, 2016, 22:19
I wasn't an alternate, but after observing alternates for about 9 years on this site, my advice is just move on with your life. You'll never know if you'll be upgraded or not. You're in limbo, but don't act like you're in limbo. Move on with your life. If you end up getting upgraded later and you still want to go, cool. What a nice surprise. If you get upgraded and are now in a place where you don't want to go, cool. Sounds like life is going well. If you never get upgraded, oh well. At least you didn't waste anymore time on something that you have absolutely zero control over.

word

simplesam
April 1st, 2016, 02:18

Yeah, that's pretty much my attitude about it after my experience last year. Gotta keep that stiff upper lip and persistent optimism on while I do the paperwork, but offline, I'm feeling far more practical about my chances. I saw WAY too many people get upgraded in April and May to give up hope, but I was also one of the forgotten ones, so I realize Plan B needs to be Plan A pronto and JET is on the back-burner for now.

WhiteFang
April 1st, 2016, 02:45
I'm currently looking into Interac at the moment, but I'm not sure if I want to start this whole mess all over again so soon. I think I should just get myself a teaching job in the USA for a year and start my application for JET again in October. :)

simplesam
April 1st, 2016, 02:58
That's honestly what I did. Like almost exactly. I applied for some teaching and lab jobs, got part-time both around late August (wasn't fun to balance or lucrative, but eh, what can you do), and did the whole JET tango again in October. Honestly, it makes it easier to forget about it if you have a semi-decent job. After awhile, my thoughts were less "I can't wait until JET calls" and more "I can't wait until I can find a better job in this field."

Plus a year of doing something that can be related to JET (e.g. teaching) looks good on your application when you apply the next year. They will most certainly ask you what you did to "improve yourself" or some variation of that from the year before and teaching can be a plus if you spin it right.

WhiteFang
April 1st, 2016, 04:09
Unfortunately, any teaching position I get won't start until August anyway, so all these people who keep telling me to "move on with my life" don't seem to understand that I can't start my career until next school year anyway, so either way, I'm waiting for JET to call or for the next school year to start... So, yeah. Maybe I should go for Interac. It'll keep me busy. :)

simplesam
April 1st, 2016, 05:06
Totally feel you on that. Science jobs hire based on school terms too and are more likely to hire during the start of Fall and Spring Semesters since during the summer they get to take advantage of slave..err, I mean, intern labor from all the kiddos who work for free resume experience for grad/med school. Hence my not getting employment until late last year. I had enough to occupy my time for April and May (had a best friend wedding in a different state and a family medical emergency to attend to), but that summer of unemployment was brutal...

WhiteFang
April 1st, 2016, 08:20
Sounds brutal. :( I don't know what I'm going to do. It's not like JET was my only option, but I kind of wish I had gotten flat out rejected, because then I really could move on. Now I'll be applying with that knowledge that I MIGHT get called. It's so annoying! And even if I do get hired at a school, I'm still unemployed until August, so I'm waiting either way.

simplesam
April 1st, 2016, 08:56
Sounds brutal. :( I don't know what I'm going to do. It's not like JET was my only option, but I kind of wish I had gotten flat out rejected, because then I really could move on. Now I'll be applying with that knowledge that I MIGHT get called. It's so annoying! And even if I do get hired at a school, I'm still unemployed until August, so I'm waiting either way.

Welcome to being a JET alternate! Here's your complimentary blindfold and sense of paranoia!

Lol, been there, done that.

moonbeam
April 1st, 2016, 11:00
Hello my people!

I was an alternate two years ago and again last year for a grand total of a week. So don't lose heart, you could still get upgraded.

But yeah, I agree that you should basically move on with your life as if you won't be upgraded. It's easier on you in the long run. There's nothing worse than hearing everyone but you is being upgraded. But the worst thing you could do is nothing, still hoping for a call from JET. Be active in finding something else and do your paperwork.

WhiteFang
April 1st, 2016, 11:48
Lol! Limbo is totally fun! :) it's just business as usual here!

I don't hold much hope for being upgraded. It would be nice, but I've mostly accepted my fate! :)

WhiteFang
April 1st, 2016, 13:16
Sorry for the double post, but NOW I have a problem. I need a proof of graduation, which isn't that big of a deal, normally, but all these documents are due next Friday and all the schools are shutting down next week for Spring Break, which means I can't get a copy of my final transcripts in time. Now what?

Frap
April 1st, 2016, 15:40
Speak to the consulate. Always speak to the consulate.

WhiteFang
April 1st, 2016, 20:57
Yep! Gotta call them and my college! :) gonna be a fun day!

Mega
April 1st, 2016, 22:30
The proof of graduation isn't due until June I think. And when did you graduate? If you sent it in already with your app, I don't think you need to send another.

WhiteFang
April 1st, 2016, 22:39
I already went by my school and picked one up. They were very helpful. Slight crisis avert. I've got everything else, so all's good except this hurricane force weather we're having!

So, another dumb question. If we are so lucky to get upgraded, is it a phone call? How long do they give you to respond to the call or email? Just trying to cover all my bases. :)

simplesam
April 1st, 2016, 23:54
Depends on your consulate, but from what I hear, there will always be an email, possibly a phone call. If they need to get a hold of you, they're going to try whatever they can and give you a decent amount of time to respond. They understand most applicants are at work or school during business hours, so they're probably not gonna expect you to respond to a phone call right away and maybe just leave a voicemail. When they made the Houston mistake, they contacted each of us personally by phone and then emailed us if we didn't call them back or had a voicemail problem. My upgraded non-internet friends all had low-key emails, no phone calls.

Mega
April 2nd, 2016, 12:47
With the getting upgraded thing, last year when I was alternate, I think that they tried to upgrade me in late November. I got email saying they had been trying to call me. (I had recently changed my number because I had forgotten about being an alternate because I was reapplying...) and asked me to call. I called maybe a day later. I told them I wasn't interested in JET that year because I had a job at the time I couldn't leave. But, the point of the story is that it seems they give a few days at least, which is comforting!

Li'l Sebastian
April 2nd, 2016, 17:32
When I was upgraded through Houston in 2014, the head person called me. He didn't email because he said he liked to hear the happiness of the person.

Zolrak 22
April 2nd, 2016, 18:46
When I was upgraded through Houston in 2014, the head person called me. He didn't email because he said he liked to hear the happiness of the person.
That sounds just like Miami, he was an awesome coordinator [emoji75].

OatsCurrySummer
April 2nd, 2016, 19:11
Hi, former Alternate here, got upgraded on December 10th 2015, the last of my entire country (Canada). Not going to lie, being an alternate sucks. By the time I got upgraded, I had signed a lease on an apartment, started a new phone contract, applied to grad school, got a full time job, booked a trip to Thailand and gotten more serious with my boyfriend. However, when I got that email, it only took me three minutes to decide to "set my life on fire" and come here. And I would do it all again to end up here in Okinawa, because I definitely wouldn't have gotten this amazing placement if I had been on the shortlist to begin with.
Anyways, fast forward four months. Last week I found out I had gotten accepted into Oxford, and though it's been my dream to study there since I was 15 and only eight people get accepted into the program every year, I declined so that I could stay here instead. But it's still comforting to know that even if I hadn't gotten upgraded, I still would have pursued at least one of my dreams. So I will just reiterate what everybody else has said: Continue as you were. Pursue other goals, and if you get upgraded, fantastic. If you don't, at least you will have been able to make one of your other dreams come true. Alternate purgatory sucks, but it doesn't have to be completely devoid of happiness.

Oh and one bit of advice: Don't be a salty little bitch like I was. GO TO THE ORIENTATION AND WORKSHOPS. Yes, I know it sucks to hear everyone talk excitedly about their placements as you secretly hope they back out last minute, but it will help you so so much. I had to scramble to watch all the training videos in the weeks before I left, and they certainly weren't as informative as actually attending the workshops would have been.

simplesam
April 2nd, 2016, 19:47

Houston has a female coordinator now. That's all I'm gonna say about the matter here...

@Anna.Mod: those sound like some tough decisions. I don't think I could ever decide that easily. Oh, and some consulates here in the US don't have workshops and training. They have a pre departure workshop, and that's about it. Not all of them are that way, but ours is.

Zolrak 22
April 2nd, 2016, 19:53
Yeah... I don't think I would have said no to Oxford, just saying.

OatsCurrySummer
April 2nd, 2016, 21:40
Yeah... I don't think I would have said no to Oxford, just saying.
I was smart enough to get in, but not enough to get funded. 60 grand for a year would have cost me my entire life savings plus 20k of debt. I figured learning Japanese would open as many doors for me as a Master's degree would.

thatitguy
April 2nd, 2016, 23:29
Alternate from U.K reporting in :(

WhiteFang
April 3rd, 2016, 01:44
Hello UK Alternate! :)

all my paperwork is in now! Spent forever trying to find my original passport photos, but now it's all good!

simplesam
April 3rd, 2016, 02:11
Hey thatitguy. Welcome to our first aid center for JET Alternates. Here is a picture of a kitten comforting a puppy to depict my sentiment.

thatitguy
April 3rd, 2016, 03:32

WhiteFang
April 3rd, 2016, 04:13

Lakhuton
April 4th, 2016, 15:35
Alternate from NZ, just got the paperwork so filling that in now. At least there's a few of us in purgatory I guess..

vanillacoke
April 4th, 2016, 18:05
I just got an email saying I'm an alternate CIR. I have no idea why they sent an email when sydney consulate sent out letters, nor do I know why, if they could send emails, they didnt send it sooner. I'm really disappointed because I honestly really needed to know if I was going or not within the week because I can not make plans for the rest of the year otherwise. Sydney was taking long enough as it was so to finally hear back, only to learn that I have to wait even longer to know, really irritates me. I honestly would have preferred to have been refused because at least that's a concrete answer. I have a lot less hope of being upgraded to a CIR than an ALT - there's a lot more ALT positions to go round after all. (This is actually my second time applying for JET, I was an ALT in 2011-2012. I...dont really know if I want to do that again.)

What I joined to ask about though was Anna.Mod's post, which shocked me. In my email, it says I will know if I am upgraded by the 'first week of December'. I immediately took this as a ridiculous typo and error from whoever wrote the email, and that the sloppiness of sydney consulate was another reason to make me mad. Then I saw your post saying you actually did get notified in December. Is this really that common? It seems unbelievably bizarre to me. Not to mention a nightmare, I would have completely forgotten about it by then.

So...it isnt a typo? Also has anyone ever been an alternate CIR?

Gizmotech
April 4th, 2016, 19:44
The december window is because there are enough ALTs who bugger off after coming in August that they need to be replaced within their fiscal year.

I've never heard of an upgraded CIR though... I mean, anyone who was driven enough to actually apply for CIR likely wouldn't be turning down that chance.

patjs
April 5th, 2016, 00:13
The fact that there are so few CIRs compared to ALTs would mean your chances of upgrading to CIR probably aren't all that great.

I have to imagine it happens though. They may still get people who break contract after arriving. I know in some cases some placements use CIRs basically as glorified ALTs which doesn't go over well with some...

Zytheta
April 5th, 2016, 04:15
Hey everyone, I'm an alternate out of SF. It sucks, but I've got a few questions about upgrades. If I were to start applying to other companies like Interac, Alita, AEON etc and I find a position in Japan, would I still be able to switch over to the JET Program while on a that visa? Are there any drawbacks, other than completion bonuses on contracts, that I might be incurring by bailing on one of the larger ESL companies in Japan? I think the April intake for most of these companies are over, but would it still be a good idea to apply anyway and see what happens? I'm hoping to teach for a couple of years, and then return to the US and complete a Masters in TESOL or Linguistics. Also, for one final question, on Gaijinpot there are many jobs that require you to be in Japan. Right now, I am free to drop things in the US, go to Japan and walk around for on the ground interviews. Would this be a good idea, or is it safer to apply here in the US, and once accepted fly out to the job?

I'm staying hopeful that I might be upgraded, but since I have so much free time I'd like to spend it on doing more research about teaching English in Japan.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully things get brighter as summer approaches! :)

Dallas306
April 5th, 2016, 06:21
Can a Canadian join the pity party?
Waitlisted out of Calgary..
On paper I'm the perfect candidate. My application was excellent, interview went very well (i thought). Still an alternate which is a blow to my confidence. I really do not understand the selection progress.

Im really going to have to refocus here. I made a personal promise to myself that i would land a job abroad by the end of summer and thats what Im going to do.

Trying to be positive, does purgatory have cookies? Here's hoping for early upgrades.

WhiteFang
April 5th, 2016, 06:44
Canadians are more than welcome to join the pity party. We have Purgatory Cookies here as well, so try to enjoy your stay! Hopefully it won't be very long. :)

Seriously, though, I'm sure you will achieve your dream one way or another! Don't give up hope!

OatsCurrySummer
April 5th, 2016, 07:08
What I joined to ask about though was Anna.Mod's post, which shocked me. In my email, it says I will know if I am upgraded by the 'first week of December'. I immediately took this as a ridiculous typo and error from whoever wrote the email, and that the sloppiness of sydney consulate was another reason to make me mad. Then I saw your post saying you actually did get notified in December. Is this really that common? It seems unbelievably bizarre to me. Not to mention a nightmare, I would have completely forgotten about it by then.

I'd say its common enough...I flew with six others from Canada to Tokyo and we were all upgraded late November/early December.

jaejoa
April 5th, 2016, 07:42
Another Canadian Alternate here! :) From the east coast.

I'm not overly upset about being an alternate. Actually, for some reason I'm really happy right now. At first, my friend and I read the email together and she was confused by what it meant. One of my friends got short listed and I'm really happy for her and look forward to hearing about her placement. My plans are pretty much up in the air no matter what I do. Still really hoping I'll be short listed.

For now, I'll probably be living as a residence assistant with a group of Japanese exchange students this summer and working odd jobs. :)

RTCA
April 5th, 2016, 08:41
Toronto alternate, the best way to describe the situation would be this quote right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4icEbjtb9vA

Just gotta keep our chins up and wait for those emails/phonecalls...

AyaReiko
April 5th, 2016, 13:51

This is my third year as an alternate CIR. Believe me, it's just like not being accepted, unless you're also on the ALT list (and even then, that's a maybe).
As for upgrades, the dates may depend from country to country, but you can be upgraded until the first or second week of December.

I'd say its common enough...I flew with six others from Canada to Tokyo and we were all upgraded late November/early December.
SIX others? Wow!

OatsCurrySummer
April 5th, 2016, 14:05
SIX others? Wow!
Yeah but only six of us made it to our final placements. As soon as we touched down in Tokyo, one of the others found out about a medical emergency in the family and he went back home the same day. I was absolutely heartbroken for him, imagine coming off a 12 hour flight only to go back home in a few hours...

tobio
April 5th, 2016, 14:46
Someone from Chicago already got upgraded, so there's hope for alternates! I've had two friends who were alternates last year and both of them got upgraded.

Anaïs
April 6th, 2016, 05:42
Hello everyone! I'm an alternate from the San Francisco consulate. Any other SF people here? I'm glad there's a space to talk with others in the same boat. Good luck to you all!

torachan
April 6th, 2016, 08:31
Hey guys, not a long-time lurker, but someone who has checked in maybe 4 or 5 times during this year's application process.

Last week I found out I got alternate status from the Nashville consulate. Words cannot explain how bummed I am, and a week later I'm not quite over it. No matter what people around me tell me it doesn't really help. So maybe some people in a similar situation can help me feel better or move on.

I have applied to other things as a backup (waiting on a final hiring decision from Interac) but like many of you, JET is the way to go. I haven't always wanted to do the JET Program--I actually just found out about it about it about a year ago. But I really don't want to do anything else at this point. I'm a music education/performance major about to graduate in April. For the longest time I was going to go into performance for graduate school but some thumb problems (pretty important when you play the clarinet) and burn out has led me to think of a career change. Currently I want to get a PhD in ethnomusicology with a specialty in Japanese traditional music but would like some time off from school while getting some language/international experience, and that's why I decided to apply for the JET program.

Anyway, I can't quite get over the blow of alternate status. I know I still have a chance, but the uncertainty is killer. I would like to know what my future holds and I am not one to be idle so I would hate to have to wait until possibly December with no guarantee and maybe not even get a position. And I'm afraid to apply to too many other things in fear of getting a call and already having accepted something that would be hard to get out of and look bad on me. Today someone was upgraded from my consulate which makes my anxiety and frustration even worse. I know I shouldn't be lurking on forums, Reddit, and Facebook, etc. but I can't help myself.

jaejoa
April 6th, 2016, 10:06
One of my friends got short-listed and I'm super happy for her. I started congratulating her before she confirmed she got in. haha Hopefully I will too, this is probably the curse of everyone being certain I would get in and me telling them to stop saying that. I haven't known anyone else personally who's been an alternate. I've been looking around to see if there are any others in the Montreal-Atlantic area.. D:

OatsCurrySummer
April 6th, 2016, 14:03
Toronto alternate
Ahh, I was too. Keep your head up, there is still hope! UofT graduate?

WhiteFang
April 6th, 2016, 21:08
Welcome alternates! :) I haven't met any from my area. Atlanta is slow at getting things done, so I don't expect too much right now.

As for being bummed and not wanting to look into other things, I know that feeling. I can't get myself motivated to get a teaching job because of teaching contracts and things. The uncertainty is terrible.

Mega
April 6th, 2016, 23:32
Not a present alternate. But I do keep following this thread because I was there last year, and I feel your pain. So, some advice to first year applying alternates (Not advice for you, Sam. Since you've done this already and You know I'm still sacrificing goats to pagan goddesses to get you upgraded!) from a previous alternate who did not get to go to Japan, I would say look for other options, and reapply next year. If you want to (and can) definitely hold out until probably around June (that's how long I kept hope).

But, just remember, this isn't the end of the road. Being an alternate (even though it SUCKS) does not mean JET did not think you were fit to be a JET. The opposite, you are a JET, they just don't have a spot for you. Try to do something teaching and/or japan related this year (I did ESL tutoring and started working in a Japanese restaurant :P though the latter was more of an accident). When you reapply, I would be happy to look over your SOP, and I know others in the forum would as well.
But, here's to hoping all of my advice is useless for everyone of you and you all get upgraded ASAP :kaos_cactus_kanpai:

TBDR2D2
April 7th, 2016, 10:32
Fellow SF alternate here :(
Fingers crossed for both of us!

Anaïs
April 7th, 2016, 11:12
Fellow SF alternate here :(
Fingers crossed for both of us!

Yes! Hopefully we'll both get in and will see each other this summer (or perhaps fall) :)

TBDR2D2
April 7th, 2016, 11:35
Yes! Hopefully we'll both get in and will see each other this summer (or perhaps fall) :)

I hope so too! Good luck!
Nice to know I'm not alone in this perpetual state of anxiety...

When was your interview? I was Feb 2!

Anaïs
April 7th, 2016, 13:03
I hope so too! Good luck!
Nice to know I'm not alone in this perpetual state of anxiety...

When was your interview? I was Feb 2 at 3pm!

Thanks, you too! My interview was on the 1st. Yeah seriously, it's so nice to be able to talk with people in the same situation!

zakharych
April 7th, 2016, 23:04
One of my friends got short-listed and I'm super happy for her. I started congratulating her before she confirmed she got in. haha Hopefully I will too, this is probably the curse of everyone being certain I would get in and me telling them to stop saying that. I haven't known anyone else personally who's been an alternate. I've been looking around to see if there are any others in the Montreal-Atlantic area.. D:
Fellow alternate here from Canada! I also had a friend who got shortlisted, and was really unhappy with my results until I realized I would actually be quite happy with the result if I didn't have someone I know get in. Now that I've reined in my bitterness I'm just going to focus on finishing school and hope for the best!

jaejoa
April 7th, 2016, 23:57
Fellow alternate here from Montreal consulate! I also had a friend who got shortlisted, and was really unhappy with my results until I realized I would actually be quite happy with the result if I didn't have someone I know get in. Now that I've reined in my bitterness I'm just going to focus on finishing school and hope for the best!
Yaaaay, someone else! I take it you interviewed in Montreal? I did mine in Halifax. :) I wasn't disappointed when I heard my friend got short-listed, mainly because we both come from the same small town and university. I have a lot of friends who move to and from Japan every year so I guess I'm a bit unfazed. haha Everyone has been pretty happy for me to at least be on the alternate list. If not, I'm sure I can next year. Except I might move to Toronto or to the west coast by the fall if I don't hear anything by then.

Unfortunately, if I don't get in this year, it means I'll be in a long distance relationship as my partner is moving back to SE Asia soon. We were really hoping I'd get in to close the distance between us. :/ So the waiting game is going to slowly kill me as time progresses.

Dallas306
April 8th, 2016, 02:29
Im curious, for you guys that are in Eastern Canada, when is your first round of paperwork due? Ours has to be at the consulate by monday. Pretty crazy considering the large area some colsulates serve. But 4 business days is scary. That being said, it likely means I have a better chance at being upgraded if some cannot get their paperwork in on time.

Calgary consulate by the way.

jaejoa
April 8th, 2016, 03:52
Im curious, for you guys that are in Eastern Canada, when is your first round of paperwork due? Ours has to be at the consulate by monday. Pretty crazy considering the large area some colsulates serve. But 4 business days is scary. That being said, it likely means I have a better chance at being upgraded if some cannot get their paperwork in on time.

Mine is due next Friday, the 15th. I have to express mail it because it probably won't arrive in time otherwise. My friend sent hers out today but I can't until tomorrow (last week of classes/project hell).

tobio
April 8th, 2016, 05:34

I'm like snooping on the alternates thread but holy geez I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the one week deadline to be a bit crazy, especially as someone who doesn't live in Calgary. I zoomed to get passport photos taken and zoomed that sucker in.

Dallas306
April 8th, 2016, 07:29
It's absolutely insane. Luckily, I didn't have school on Tuesday, but had to work in the afternoon. I got up early, went and got photos taken, filled out the paperwork and got it sent off with overnight shipping. Tracking says it was accepted at the consulate a 9:00am on Wednesday.

I live in Saskatoon, so had I not been able to go for a few days, or have shipped it standard, there is no way it would have arrived on time.

I better get upgraded dammit. :lol:

OatsCurrySummer
April 8th, 2016, 08:17
Oh, I'm going to chime in right now and say please please please fill out all the necessary documents, even the optional ones because when I got upgraded (and I had long since given up hope by then) I had to get passport photos, a physical, bloodwork, xrays and a police check in the span of three days. Stupid of me for not doing these things before, I know. Just have all the necessary things ready in case you get that upgrade!

mrcharisma
April 8th, 2016, 10:37
Being an alternate (even though it SUCKS) does not mean JET did not think you were fit to be a JET. The opposite, you are a JET, they just don't have a spot for you.

I've heard that said before and I expect it's actually more damaging than telling the truth.

Dallas306
April 8th, 2016, 11:06
You really are a big bundle of sunshine, aren't you?

acpc2203
April 8th, 2016, 15:37
This forum is full of big bundles of sunshine :D

mrcharisma
April 8th, 2016, 16:45
You really are a big bundle of sunshine, aren't you?

Well it's better someone brings a sense of reality with them. The truth is that if you're an alternate, something went wrong in the interview, so it's best to know that and be prepared to address it next time if you have to. Living on Cloud Cuckoo Land won't help anyone.

Dallas306
April 8th, 2016, 17:46
I have to agree that living with your head in the clouds is certainly setting yourself up for failure, but here's the thing:
Nothing went wrong in my interview. It went very well actually. My application (i think) was very good. My letters of reference were exceptional (maybe too good).
I have a degree in applied linguistics and a university-taught 250 hour comprehensive tesl/tefl certificate. I also work in my university's esl department as well as it's linguistics department. I speak decent Chinese, and basic Japanese. I also have experience studying abroad.
If Jet was solely about quality education, I should be an easy pick.
If anything, I am overqualified for Jet.
I was still made an alternate.
To assume that somebody was made an alternate because 'something went wrong in the interview' is ridiculous.
I don't pretend to understand how they choose who gets in and who doesn't because lets face it, plenty of people who are accepted do not deserve to be (sorry). Unfortunately for us, the entire process is shrouded in smoke and mirrors.
Who knows, maybe I didn't come off as overly genki or obsessed with anime like many applicants are.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here, but to assume someone on the alternate list because they were not 'good enough' to be shortlisted is crap.
My 2 cents.

mrcharisma
April 8th, 2016, 18:13
I have to agree that living with your head in the clouds is certainly setting yourself up for failure, but here's the thing:
Nothing went wrong in my interview. It went very well actually. My application (i think) was very good. My letters of reference were exceptional (maybe too good).
I have a degree in applied linguistics and a university-taught 250 hour comprehensive tesl/tefl certificate. I also work in my university's esl department as well as it's linguistics department. I speak decent Chinese, and basic Japanese. I also have experience studying abroad.
To assume that somebody was made an alternate because 'something went wrong in the interview' is ridiculous.
I don't pretend to understand how they choose who gets in and who doesn't because lets face it, plenty of people who are accepted do not deserve to be (sorry). Unfortunately for us, the entire process is shrouded in smoke and mirrors.
Who knows, maybe I didn't come off as overly genki or obsessed with anime like many applicants are.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here, but to assume someone on the alternate list because they were not 'good enough' to be shortlisted is crap.
My 2 cents.

I never said anything about "not good enough". There's no difference between alternates and shortlisters once you get to Japan.

What stands is that something happened at interview which suggested to the interviewers you weren't as good a fit as others. Considering your views that many accepted applicants are undeserving or simply "obsessed with anime", I can see where they were coming from.

hypatia
April 8th, 2016, 18:42

My 2 cents.

Whew, man, some bitter fruits there. The fact of the matter is that you don't know a) how your interview came off to the people interviewing you and b) how well other people who applied at your consulate did. Even if you did give a supposedly flawless interview, obviously there were some people who presented themselves as better.

As far as being "shrouded in mystery", MiamiCoordinator did a fantastic job of patiently explaining the process multiple times last year. I highly recommend an archive search. And perhaps a dose of humble pie or something to turn down the ego. Jesus.

hypatia
April 8th, 2016, 18:51
From the thread "Terrible interview, still got into JET?" (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/threads/20174-Terrible-interview-still-got-into-JET/page2)

While I cannot say for sure what other coordinators have done in the past, I know that this is not the case now. The original DC score is on the spread sheet that we send to Tokyo, but that score does not determine your ranking on our recommendation list. Our recommendation list is solely based off the interview. I have never once interviewed someone and said "Well, their interview was lack luster, but they look great on paper, I am recommending him/her."

Granted, there are a large amount of people who do make it into JET that people wonder how they ever made it in, but it could be that they were a low ranking alternate that got lucky, or the more qualified people got better jobs and the socially awkward person got in because of that. I can guarantee though it is not because they had a strong SoP. The paper application is only for getting an actual interview.

For clarification, since he's referring to the U.S. process, and you seem to be in Canada, the DC score is the tally that the Embassy (which, in the case of the US is located in Washington D.C.) gives when you send in your paper application that gives you enough points to be invited to an interview at a consulate at all. Then, once you are invited to the consulates to interview, the coordinator at the consulate makes a ranking based off of the interview. This is what gets sent off to Tokyo. Tokyo decides how many shortlisters each consulate get (this number varies), and that's how the cut off happens between shortlisters and alternates. This ranking also determines who gets upgraded before placements happen (e.g. Consulate X has 20 people interviewed, and Tokyo says they get 5 shortlisters, then the people ranked 6-20 are alternates. If any of the top five turn it down, it's offered to 6, then 7, and so on, going down the list.) After placements happen the upgrade process leaves the hands of the consulates and is something that Tokyo figures out. But, again, I recommend an archive search for more in depth information and/or before shooting off your mouth next time.

Jiggit
April 8th, 2016, 18:58

My 2 cents.

I got enough of your character from a single forum post that I'm surprised you managed to make alternate.

uthinkimlost?
April 8th, 2016, 20:09
Truly overqualified people don't use JET anyway.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
April 8th, 2016, 20:23

My 2 cents.

Just to throw my own incredibly rarely-seen dog on the pile, your post makes two things wonderfully clear.

The first is that this is exactly the kind of attitude that, if it's a good representation of your actual character, will ensure you a short, lonely and ultimately unfulfilling stay in Japan... if you're upgraded, of course.

The second, and probably more important, is that it is damn lucky JET doesn't hire solely on the quality of someone's education, and that there's a really, really good reason for that.

mrcharisma
April 8th, 2016, 20:38
Just to throw my own incredibly rarely-seen dog on the pile, your post makes two things wonderfully clear.

The first is that this is exactly the kind of attitude that, if it's a good representation of your actual character, will ensure you a short, lonely and ultimately unfulfilling stay in Japan... if you're upgraded, of course.

The second, and probably more important, is that it is damn lucky JET doesn't hire solely on the quality of someone's education, and that there's a really, really good reason for that.

Welcome home old fruit.

word - Non-JET Career / Education

jaejoa
April 8th, 2016, 21:08
I know a few things went wrong during my interview. It was one of my first "big" job interviews so I was overly nervous. I also arrived to my interview just after my friend was leaving from hers and she was in tears so I comforted her, but I think it threw me off a bit. haha I think my nervousness made me blank out a bit and I didn't come across as strong of an applicant as my application said. They focused a lot on my application and I think that they actually quite liked it from their questions, but my anxiety got the better of me. But afterwards, I was thinking, wait that's it? I thought it was actually fun by the end and kind of look forward to doing it again if I have to (although hoping not).

Anyway, shit happens. Being an alternate isn't the worst fate. I've had friends be rejected despite putting tons of effort in and having great interviews and who've since found alternative ways to live and teach abroad. What I found helped during my interview was my years of experience assisting Japanese exchange students with their English conversational skills in different settings and talking about how to develop relationships with co-teachers. But I understand why I didn't get in over others and accept it. *shrugs*

Gizmotech
April 8th, 2016, 22:25

My 2 cents.

Hello Dallas, how are you?

I would like to begin by apologising for the JET program for not picking you. It's unfortunate that someone of your immense qualifications was over looked for our humble program. In the future, we will work towards ensuring individuals with such extensive qualifications are given the proper respect they deserve. We feel it was an oversight on the part of your consulate, to not choose an individual so certain in their abilities and experiences, that we have made a special request to the Interac program to take you in. We feel, while this is genuinely insufficient compensation for your trials and tribulations, it might provide you a more flexible starting point for your future career in education in Japan.

Sincerely,
No-one who gives a shit.

Now..

Dude, I have seen people with similar (and better) qualifications than you not get in. You must have come off as something in your interview that was sufficient for the judging panel to low grade you. I know two people personally from my own program who on paper were MUCH better candidates than me (outside of educational experience and mine is about yours), and they weren't even alternated.

And for the record, yes being on the alternate list means everyone in your consulate who was shortlisted scored higher than you. That should give you one of two view points. Either a) If you are that good they must be somewhere near amazing or b) something about yourself needs polishing.

Cheers,
A retired fifth year shortlister who ever thought must have been an alternate.

Dallas306
April 9th, 2016, 02:58
I think you guys missed the point.

I'm not at all trying to be bitter or upset, believe me I'm not. My point was that it is a big mystery what a candidate is actually scored on.

The only purpose of me posting my qualifications is to show that even if you are actually qualified to teach (without a program like jet), that it makes no guarentees of acceptance.

Again though, i am confident that both my application and interview were very good; thinking back there is honestly nothing i would change.

Im not going to speculate as to where i might have lost points because that is just torturous. All I know is, i worked hard and did my best. My only purpose of going on that rant was I was under the impression that it had been implied that being a waitlist candidate must simply mean you bombed your interview or there is something wrong with you as a candidate.

The only purpose of that post was to use myself as an example. I was just trying to showcase that you can look nearly perfect on paper and still not make it.
I do apologize if it came off as an arrogant pity party, but I promise it was not that at all.

Maybe I shouldn't make long forum posts while exhausted late at night; It didn't translate well.

Shincantsen
April 9th, 2016, 03:42
Hey there alternates. I may or may not have been involved in interviews this year as an interviewer (I try to keep things low-key around here).

Being an alternate doesn't mean you're 'not good enough.' Every single person has good and bad aspects of their interview, places where they shine or where they don't quite match up with interviewer's expectations. Being on the alternate list just means you had slightly more bad aspects the next guy, but it doesn't say anything about your character or your intelligence.

Speaking from experience, your consulate does not know where the exact line will be between shortlist and alternate. There are a lot (a lot!) of people on our alternate list who I 100% want on the short-list. Rest assured that if your interviewers thought you were stupid, or weird, or unfit to teach, you would not be on the alternate list.

On the other hand, it does bother me some when people act over-confident about their interview (not going to name any names, but...). At the interview, we are not judging only your credentials - we are mostly judging things that aren't/can't be written in your application - your personality, your flexibility, your reaction to stress.

Anyway, if you're on the alternate list, please don't feel like you were rejected and are JET's back-up or last option. It's been said before, but you were accepted as a JET - there just aren't enough spaces for you. Good luck to everyone, though - hoping for lots of upgrades!

mothy
April 9th, 2016, 08:37
Although dullard306 hasn't showed the greatest attitude, as the local JET programme hater, I feel it my duty to point out he does touch upon some valid concerns about the program and process.
Yes, on paper qualifications don't mean much, but you know what else doesn't mean much? Passing a single 20 minute interview. Not only is it likely that better candidates get passed over for inferior ones, it's about as close to a certainty as we can get in this crazy world of ours.
Every year JET sends far too many people who are unqualified and terrible at their job to fill positions that could be filled by experienced and well qualified people. Whether or not dumbo306 is one of those passed over who should not have been, I can't say. But it happens often enough that I'm willing to let the poor reject blow off some steam.

Dallas306
April 9th, 2016, 09:01
Thank you?

ThroneofBlood
April 9th, 2016, 09:15
Dallas, as someone who was waitlisted for their university program, I can understand your frustration. I agree with others that it is important to keep it real, but there's a crapshoot aspect to any kind of large scale hiring process like JET.

Hang in there, man. There's a chance you can still fly out in July, and I hope you do.

Frap
April 9th, 2016, 09:16
Thank you?

!*

http://49.media.tumblr.com/a28bfff1637cb865b68eb7499149028f/tumblr_njkswhSrTU1tf2izko1_500.gif

Fantasylife
April 9th, 2016, 09:58
Although dullard306 hasn't showed the greatest attitude, as the local JET programme hater, I feel it my duty to point out he does touch upon some valid concerns about the program and process.
Yes, on paper qualifications don't mean much, but you know what else doesn't mean much? Passing a single 20 minute interview. Not only is it likely that better candidates get passed over for inferior ones, it's about as close to a certainty as we can get in this crazy world of ours.
Every year JET sends far too many people who are unqualified and terrible at their job to fill positions that could be filled by experienced and well qualified people. Whether or not dumbo306 is one of those passed over who should not have been, I can't say. But it happens often enough that I'm willing to let the poor reject blow off some steam.

* Sees Mothy's comment. Scrolls up to see wtf I missed *

Edit: That was a good read. It's been a long time since I've seen a good ol' fashioned rejected/alternate rant.

richief_611
April 9th, 2016, 12:32

My 2 cents.

Do realize that you did get in, but that you're just on the wait list. Many people I know were overqualified and put on the alternate list like you too, but were eventually upgraded. The JET Program wants to accept people from many different areas, so it's possible that your consulate just had too many qualified individuals and you just happened to be placed on the alternate list at that consulate. Since you do have many qualifications, you'll probably get upgraded before July. Most people get upgraded. Not all, but most. The first influx is in April (when people are declining/accepting positions), then in late May/early June (when placements are announced), and then the last one is in late June/early July (when people decide "for sure" if they will participate in the program or go on a different path). It's after July when it's more unlikely for an upgrade to happen.

The best steps is to stay on the alternate list, do all of the paperwork, and wait until at least July for an upgrade. Along with that, look into doing other things just in case you don't get upgraded.

Also, since you are on the alternate list, your placement may not be as random as someone who got accepted right away in April. Someone who gets accepted in April may be placed anywhere in Japan since the JET Program is trying to fill in all of the open positions. When you are an alternate, your placement preferences may be taken into more consideration. I say this because I was also on the wait list, but then got upgraded later. After 1-2 weeks, I found out that I got my 1st choice preference for my placement. So there could be an upside or downside to being on the wait list. The only downside is that you're basically in limbo right now, not knowing if you'll be upgraded or not. But there's still hope.

Good luck!

Dallas306
April 9th, 2016, 13:54
Thank you all, for the kind words (and not so kind) i appreciate any and all of it. I realize that I came off as an ass in my earlier post and that was not at all intentional. I promise that I actully a very down to earth person, but Im also human, so its difficult not to become frustrated.

Anyway, if we could move on from me it would be appreciated. I'll start off, are any alternates considering other esl related options or other options in general? I've looked at a few dispatch agencies myself but am mostly interested in direct boe jobs. I would also consider going back to Taiwan for the right gig but in general the teaching landscape there is pretty grim these days.

Keen to here what other's plan Bs might be.

Zytheta
April 9th, 2016, 15:48
Hey Dallas306, since I still have to get my posts authorized by a mod many people didn't see what I wrote/asked a few pages ago.

I'm an alternate out of SF. I've been looking to apply to some other places like Interac, AEON, and I was also lucky enough to meet a recruiting division manager from Alita when he came by my college last Spring semester. So my thoughts for my plan B and on being an alternate flows like this: over the next few weeks I apply to other ALT positions in Japan, if those fail I hit my Dad's contacts with friends who own businesses in Japan/have reliable contacts in Japan, after that I'll try applying on gaijinpot, Dave's ESL cafe, and if all of these fail I cry my way to apply for a teaching track/masters in education/increasing my alcohol tolerance in Missouri while living with my parents.

I think I'm also pretty frustrated with the program and how vague some responses can be sometimes. I don't think this is a bad reaction to being given an alternate position, with no ranking, no criteria or explanation from the consulate. I am very grateful for being offered an alternate position, but on that same note I'll be applying to other places and seeing if I can't find a comparable job that leads me towards working in an International school or working as a college professor. That's my dream at least, and I'll be following it! :)

Dallas306
April 9th, 2016, 16:03
I have to say, its nice to see someone with similar views and aspirations. Its refreshing to see others who wish to pursue teaching as a career and see jet as a viable starting point. It's definately frustrating being in purgatory but Im hopeful for now. Upgrades could happen as early as next week from my consulate so its going to be hard to focus on other things. Im certainly going to be focusing on other options but as of now, im not exactly sure which to pursue.

I give you big props for looking at your future as sometimes that is a difficult thing to do.

Good luck!

Zolrak 22
April 9th, 2016, 16:12
Just to throw my own

http://45.media.tumblr.com/7c9c82419d9b0e5f02b78af9e706caf6/tumblr_nmy0oybGBw1qjmus3o1_540.gif

Do my eyes deceive me? [emoji81]

Is the ol' dog back in town ?

Is #MakeITILGreatAgain back in motion?

Doubtful.... [emoji20]

(Sorry for the off topic post)

Gosh, no need to pile on the guy though. Even as an example it sounded at the very like a humble brag.

Coordinators have stated that the interview scores are what determine your final "slot" in the list.

Now keep in mind, the list doesn't necessarily go by number when choosing a candidate, if the placement wants a Canadian alt with knowledge in French, then the American Genius isn't even gonna be considered (Even if he's first place).

But that subpar Canadian with the basic French might get it if he's the only one that fits the criteria.

WhiteFang
April 9th, 2016, 20:06
This place has been quite active lately, hasn't it? :) so, bit of an update. I took the whole "get on with your life" thing a bit too seriously and applied like a mad man for other overseas teaching jobs... And now I have interviews. I guess if I get any other overseas position, it wouldn't be feasible for me to take JET if I do get called, hm?

Also, hi, Dallas! I am also pursuing teaching as a career! :)

jaejoa
April 9th, 2016, 20:16
I'm not looking at any alternatives for this year, but if I don't really hear anything by September I was thinking of at least going for my TESL certificate with some of the money I have saved. South Korea was also my first option over Japan, but JET was the easiest one for me to apply to this year. Other than that, I'm pretty open to moving just about anywhere. I may have to move to SE Asia for personal reasons but that's also where I have the most teaching connections.

I'm not currently looking to make a career out of teaching, but want to work in some vicinity with recent immigrants and refugees to Canada in the future. I haven't lived abroad before nor am I sufficient yet in another language but I'm trying to change that. I didn't have this revelation until about halfway through my degree. I'm hoping to move somewhere where I can at least have the option of taking language courses, as my university didn't offer many. I'd like to study more French, Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean if I can.

In the meantime, I'm probably going to have to move back home until I can save a bit of money to move somewhere else in Canada. Besides work, I really want to find some volunteer opportunities and to work on writing. Moving somewhere in Asia is a priority because my partner will be there until he can move back to Canada. I'm also really partial to Taiwan because that is where most of my friends have enjoyed visiting/living.

I have a lot of friends in Japan and some who are licensed English teachers there. One Japanese friend in particular is awesome and he's going to make a great English teacher. He's nervous about his English but he's also taken every opportunity he could to study and become fluent in it. We both agreed we would try our best to become ESL teachers. Another friend I recently made is also working towards becoming an English teacher and had an ALT in her high school whom she really liked and inspired her to go that route. The students I've met in the past four years have been huge contributors towards the reason I want to teach in Japan. They've also been crazy supportive of me wanting to teach there.

Nomad
April 10th, 2016, 15:17
Hey there everybody, another Alternate here to lick my wounds.

In my case I am pretty sure I know where I went wrong in my interview, and am surprised I made it in as an Alternate! Of course, I can be a bit of a sad person so that might just be the negativity talking, ha ha. I actually graduated in December, so I am just working at my part time job now while sulking here and there. My class walks in May, so I think I will wait until then before I start looking at serious jobs. I have been sending my resume out to places I think "Hey, I might pass up a job with JET if I could get THIS", and got a few offers to come interview for better jobs than where I am at, but I am not going to jump on them quite yet. Playing the field helps a bit. The way I see it the first wave of upgrades will start after the paperwork is due, with a second after placements, and a smaller one in June, and since I already spent some money on getting my graduation stuff in order I figured I may as well wait for that then if I hear nothing fully throw myself into a new adventure.

As for me, this year, just coming out of college, I think I was on paper the strongest I could be for the program so I am not certain if I will apply again next year. Most people who applied and put on the list are still young, so I can only hope we are all in pretty good places!

This place has been quite active lately, hasn't it? :) so, bit of an update. I took the whole "get on with your life" thing a bit too seriously and applied like a mad man for other overseas teaching jobs... And now I have interviews. I guess if I get any other overseas position, it wouldn't be feasible for me to take JET if I do get called, hm?

Good luck on your interviews! You could find something that would be even more amazing than JET while you are out there, life has a way of surprising us when we least expect it! :)

WhiteFang
April 11th, 2016, 04:56
Good luck on your interviews! You could find something that would be even more amazing than JET while you are out there, life has a way of surprising us when we least expect it! :)

thanks! They are just language schools, so, you know, not great jobs, but something to do until I can apply for JET next year. I'm still holding my breath for an upgrade before I lock myself into a contract with either a language school or something here in the USA.

I'm on my first semester out of college as well. :) what did you major in?

Nomad
April 11th, 2016, 08:52
I'm on my first semester out of college as well. :) what did you major in?

English, the sexiest of all disciplines. I figure a bit more waiting won't kill me, and I can take it a little easy while I try to find some good opportunities and think about where I want to go from here.

Up note! The deadline for turning stuff in is this week!

MikeCarter
April 11th, 2016, 08:56

My 2 cents.

You should know those that get in are incredibly defensive of critiquing the JET Programme (as seen by how they all immediately jump on you and attack your character, lol).

With that in mind, you're still wrong. They most definitely thought you made a mistake at some point in time to be put on the alternate list rather than the shortlist. They still think you're suitable for the programme though, hence why you weren't just flat out rejected.

Notice that I said "they thought" and not that you actually did make a mistake. Your JET application has a lot of not flawless people to go through before reaching the end. Their perspective and biases are different from yours.

Jiggit
April 11th, 2016, 09:09
You should know those that get in are incredibly defensive of critiquing the JET Programme (as seen by how they all immediately jump on you and attack your character, lol).

Au Contraire, my moose-fucking friend. We've seen how shabby the JET programme is and assume anyone who failed their interview enough to be rejected must have taken a dump on the floor halfway through.

acpc2203
April 11th, 2016, 09:26
Yup, after you meet your fellow JETs it is hard to be very proud of being selected.

mrcharisma
April 11th, 2016, 09:27
Au Contraire, my moose-fucking friend. We've seen how shabby the JET programme is and assume anyone who failed their interview enough to be rejected must have taken a dump on the floor halfway through.

Nonsense! It's usually because the interviewers think they're overqualified and will get bored.

mothy
April 11th, 2016, 09:32
A good number of the interviewers are actually underqualified to interview someone for JET, so... The whole process is a shit show.

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2016, 09:33

Can confirm shitting on the floor during interview does not get you rejected.

Source: Shat on floor during interview.

acpc2203
April 11th, 2016, 09:35
They see it as you being willing to share all parts of your culture.

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2016, 09:37
They see it as you being willing to share all parts of your culture.

*links a video to the Salo dinner scene*

Dallas306
April 11th, 2016, 09:47
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bf2nhEoZNm0/maxresdefault.jpg

Nomad
April 11th, 2016, 09:55

Ha ha ha, this site is a hoot!

There is a good amount of subjective reasoning that goes into the JET interview. I am curious, from what people know are the later upgrades also somewhat subjective? I know there is a ranked list for now, but when people get sent off suddenly Tokyo starts looking for specific types of people, right?

acpc2203
April 11th, 2016, 10:04
I'm just glad I have all the essentials to be a good JET such as a complete lack of self respect, the ability to warm a desk for hours on end, a drinking problem, complete apathy, and no prior teaching experience. Perhaps the alternates are lacking in one or more of these categories.

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2016, 10:10
In all seriousness, if you are as overqualified as you think, there's no real reason to do JET. There's no real reason to be an ALT, for that matter.

ThroneofBlood
April 11th, 2016, 10:13

+1

*adds video to jikoshoukai slideshow*

mothy
April 11th, 2016, 10:20
In all seriousness, if you are as overqualified as you think, there's no real reason to do JET. There's no real reason to be an ALT, for that matter.

Cuts to the heart.

acpc2203
April 11th, 2016, 10:21
There's no real reason to be an ALT, for that matter.
But who will warm my poor desk?

Dallas306
April 11th, 2016, 10:39
You are probably right, but teaching abroad is something I Really want to do for the next while. Yes the Japanese educational system is really a mixed bag and debatedly less than successful when it comes to English proficiency. But a lower responsibility position like alt teaching seems like a good way to ease into it. That being said, there are a lot of things in Japan in particular that I would like to experience, and not just as a tourist and jet is, at the very least, a good way to get one's foot in the door.

This is just my oppinion of course, but I have my own reasons for pursuing something like this at this particular juncture in my life.

WhiteFang
April 11th, 2016, 11:41
English, the sexiest of all disciplines. I figure a bit more waiting won't kill me, and I can take it a little easy while I try to find some good opportunities and think about where I want to go from here.

Up note! The deadline for turning stuff in is this week!

Oh, same! English and Secondary Education! Which is why I went on to apply for some jobs in Japan that require teaching certificates!

The deadline for my consulate was Friday, actually. And they sent a PSA about things pretty late on Thursday...Why would they send something when there was no way your stuff would get there on time if you hadn't already sent it...? Or unless you plan on hand delivering it, which I guess isn't impossible. (that was my back up plan, after all) It was odd, to say the least. Kind of hoping a lot of people didn't submit their stuff! I don't want to work in a language school for a year, but I also don't want to actually teach high school in America! (My goal is college.) I guess I could go into publishing...

What about you? What other options if no upgrades come?

OatsCurrySummer
April 11th, 2016, 13:37
Ha ha ha, this site is a hoot!

There is a good amount of subjective reasoning that goes into the JET interview. I am curious, from what people know are the later upgrades also somewhat subjective? I know there is a ranked list for now, but when people get sent off suddenly Tokyo starts looking for specific types of people, right?

I suspect it may be so...I pretty much bombed my interview, but I honestly believe that because I requested a rural placement, I was higher up on the list when an inaka-as-hell placement opened up. Having my driver's license may have been a contributing factor as well, since Okinawa lacks a public transit system and pretty much all the JETs here have cars. In all honesty, I'm sure there were many people more qualified than I, but perhaps not willing to be the only gaijin on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere.

Nomad
April 11th, 2016, 13:49
Oh, same! English and Secondary Education! Which is why I went on to apply for some jobs in Japan that require teaching certificates!

The deadline for my consulate was Friday, actually. And they sent a PSA about things pretty late on Thursday...Why would they send something when there was no way your stuff would get there on time if you hadn't already sent it...? Or unless you plan on hand delivering it, which I guess isn't impossible. (that was my back up plan, after all) It was odd, to say the least. Kind of hoping a lot of people didn't submit their stuff! I don't want to work in a language school for a year, but I also don't want to actually teach high school in America! (My goal is college.) I guess I could go into publishing...

What about you? What other options if no upgrades come?

My consulate, Denver, has been pretty quiet all around, it makes me a little nervous to be honest. I sent an email asking if my stuff made it, but I assume they are too busy and did not reply, and I didn't want to be a pest so it should be okay... hopefully. Yeah, I am also hoping people don't submit their stuff! Being on a wait list like this makes me feel bad, because I keep wishing moderate misfortune on people. Not enough to really hurt them, just enough for them to think the JET program could wait another year.

If no upgrades come by mid-May I will put in my two weeks notice for my part time job, then hit up everyone I know from college and start crafting more serious cover letters. I have been just doing random online probing, and none of the places I applied to called me back for an interview, but places I haven't reached out for have, so I might consider one of them. If I hear back from JET I will keep on working where I am until then, but otherwise I will leave. It should give me enough to afford the start up costs, and having something to look forward to makes the whole thing tolerable. I will just keep on sending out my information like a mad man and try to get hired. I am not sure if I will try again next year. If I can find an ESL volunteer position that looks doable I might, but on paper I think I was the strongest I could be this year. It is all very up in the air really. Publishing would be cool, I may send some emails out about that soon.

acpc2203
April 11th, 2016, 14:27
I suspect it may be so...I pretty much bombed my interview, but I honestly believe that because I requested a rural placement, I was higher up on the list when an inaka-as-hell placement opened up. Having my driver's license may have been a contributing factor as well, since Okinawa lacks a public transit system and pretty much all the JETs here have cars. In all honesty, I'm sure there were many people more qualified than I, but perhaps not willing to be the only gaijin on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere.
IIRC being willing to drive does help as an alternate, simply because there are more placements available.

WhiteFang
April 11th, 2016, 23:50
My consulate, Denver, has been pretty quiet all around, it makes me a little nervous to be honest. I sent an email asking if my stuff made it, but I assume they are too busy and did not reply, and I didn't want to be a pest so it should be okay... hopefully. Yeah, I am also hoping people don't submit their stuff! Being on a wait list like this makes me feel bad, because I keep wishing moderate misfortune on people. Not enough to really hurt them, just enough for them to think the JET program could wait another year.

If no upgrades come by mid-May I will put in my two weeks notice for my part time job, then hit up everyone I know from college and start crafting more serious cover letters. I have been just doing random online probing, and none of the places I applied to called me back for an interview, but places I haven't reached out for have, so I might consider one of them. If I hear back from JET I will keep on working where I am until then, but otherwise I will leave. It should give me enough to afford the start up costs, and having something to look forward to makes the whole thing tolerable. I will just keep on sending out my information like a mad man and try to get hired. I am not sure if I will try again next year. If I can find an ESL volunteer position that looks doable I might, but on paper I think I was the strongest I could be this year. It is all very up in the air really. Publishing would be cool, I may send some emails out about that soon.

Sounds like you have a plan! :) My first interview with a school in Japan is at noon tomorrow their time, so like 11:00 pm tonight for me. I don't want to turn down an opportunity in the hopes that JET will call me up later. I guess I could apply to JET again this year from Japan. That might help my chances next year... Or not, since they might not want people who already live in Japan. Here's hoping I get upgraded in the first wave, which should be sometime this week since our deadline was Friday.

I'll stay with my part time job until I get another one. Unfortunately, even if I do decide to stay in the USA and teach, I can't start until August anyway.

Sortoa235
April 12th, 2016, 00:33
Best of luck, man! Hope you get that upgrade. :)

I guess I could apply to JET again this year from Japan. That might help my chances next year... Or not, since they might not want people who already live in Japan.

I thought that they don't allow you to apply from Japan? Or were you planning on flying home for the interview?

jaejoa
April 12th, 2016, 03:02
Good luck on your interview, WhiteFang! That sounds exciting. :) I don't see how it could hinder your chances at getting into JET later on if you applied while living in Japan, but I'm unsure. My friends who've been accepted into the program for the most part had all previously lived in Japan, although none of them applied while there.

MikeCarter
April 12th, 2016, 03:35

The savages. Everyone knows the key to a great interview is to use the complementary ficus plant they include in every interview room.

WhiteFang
April 12th, 2016, 05:07
They don't allow you to apply for JET if you have citizenship in Japan, but you can live there. Unfortunately, you have to fly back to your country for the interview. :) that wouldn't be so bad.

TBDR2D2
April 13th, 2016, 08:19
Thanks, you too! My interview was on the 1st. Yeah seriously, it's so nice to be able to talk with people in the same situation!

I've been upgraded! And I wish the best for you!

OatsCurrySummer
April 13th, 2016, 08:24
Congratulations!! That was quick!

WhiteFang
April 13th, 2016, 08:28

Yay! Congrats!

When end was the deadline for the response forms for your consulate?

Anaïs
April 13th, 2016, 08:41

Awesome, congratulations! :D You're the first SF upgrade I've heard of, it's good to know they've started! Did you get a phone call from the coordinator?

Nomad
April 13th, 2016, 13:09

On one hand I have to say, congratz! I am glad you managed to get in! On the other hand I have to shake my fist in frustration that it wasn't me, lol.

When was your paperwork due?

TBDR2D2
April 13th, 2016, 13:15
Awesome, congratulations! :D You're the first SF upgrade I've heard of, it's good to know they've started! Did you get a phone call from the coordinator?

Thank you!! I'm beyond excited, and so grateful! It was an email, and I really hope that you get the same one soon!

Anaïs
April 14th, 2016, 01:19
Thank you!! I'm beyond excited, and so grateful! It was an email, and I really hope that you get the same one soon!

Thank you! Have fun with all the prep and let us know how everything goes! :) WhiteFang and Nomad, our forms aren't due till Friday 4/15, so it's started early!

TBDR2D2
April 14th, 2016, 01:51
Congratulations!! That was quick!

Thank you! I am very grateful.
My advice to everyone is to stay positive.

Lakhuton
April 14th, 2016, 11:34
Another upgrade here! This time out of New Zealand.

vanillacoke
April 14th, 2016, 12:50
Well, I just got upgraded too. I was really shocked, I'd pretty much accepted the fact that being an alternate CIR meant I had little to no chance - especially because I dont have a drivers license which probably disqualifies a few potential locations for me. For me it was by phone, from the Sydney consulate. I'm pretty sure the deadline to return the forms was only the day before, so I was surprised it happened so fast.
Just in case there's any other alternate CIRs reading - it's not necessarily the end! I'm still surprised though.
I was a JET in 2011-2012 so I'm glad I'll get the chance to compare that to being a CIR, for better or worse.

Dallas306
April 14th, 2016, 13:00
Damn you!
Er.. umm. I mean.. congrats.

Anaïs
April 14th, 2016, 13:53
Another upgrade here! This time out of New Zealand.

Congratulations! :)

mothy
April 14th, 2016, 15:20
Damn you!
Er.. umm. I mean.. congrats.

Finally someone with the right attitude. JET hopefuls are way too nice to their rivals for my taste.
Come on, alternates! Show me that you want it!

jaejoa
April 14th, 2016, 21:54
Well, I just got upgraded too. I was really shocked, I'd pretty much accepted the fact that being an alternate CIR meant I had little to no chance - especially because I dont have a drivers license which probably disqualifies a few potential locations for me. For me it was by phone, from the Sydney consulate. I'm pretty sure the deadline to return the forms was only the day before, so I was surprised it happened so fast.
Just in case there's any other alternate CIRs reading - it's not necessarily the end! I'm still surprised though.
I was a JET in 2011-2012 so I'm glad I'll get the chance to compare that to being a CIR, for better or worse.
Wow, that's awesome!! Congrats. :D My friend was an alternate CIR last year but never heard back, he's living in Japan now doing something else. That's so great to hear an alternate CIR got in!

WhiteFang
April 15th, 2016, 08:50
Congrats on the upgrade!

Also, I have a bit of an odd question... Well, not odd... I actually got a job offer from NOVA, a language school. They are who I interviewed with... I'm really struggling on taking the job and going for it, or staying in the states for another year and going for JET again when the time comes. I've heard some pretty terrible horror stories about language schools in Japan, but I also feel like it would be dumb to reject a job offer in the hopes that JET calls me for an upgrade... I guess the biggest reason I'm hesitating is because I know so much more about JET than I do this company, as I've been preparing for JET as my abroad job since high school.

Advice? :^_^:

Dallas306
April 15th, 2016, 09:04
Well I actaully have a slightly informed oppinion on Nova. Ive heard some good and some bad. Im also aware that they went bankrupt a few years back and were bought up by another company. That being said I do know someone who works for them in Fukuoka (i think) and he seems pretty happy. I think its been about a year for him.

I do think that the average jet alt position would be better in many ways, but Im a little biased as I refuse to work evenings and weekends with an Eikaiwa.

What other options have you looked into?

Im in contact with altia central right now but ive been informed that they arent conducting any interviews in Canada for some reason which sucks for me as a trip to one of the stateside locations would be 1000 in airfare alone. If you're stateside I would look into them. They have a much better reputation than most dispatch agencies and eikaiwas.

Is there a way you can delay Nova for a month or two?

WhiteFang
April 15th, 2016, 09:18
I'm fine with working nights and weekends! :| I actually prefer nights. (Good job on me for deciding to be a teacher, hm?) Is there anyway I can get in contact with your acquaintance?

I'm aware that JET is a better deal all around, but it feels almost silly to deny a job offer when I don't have anything else. (kind of hoping a JET upgrade comes soon!) I actually haven't really focused on anything else. I went to Gaijinpot and applied for just about everything. I didn't expect to be interviewed and offered a position in less than a week, so it all happened super fast!

I will look into Altia. I've never heard of them. The visa process itself takes a few months. I figured I could at least send them my paperwork and then work on finding something better before the VISA is complete and then halt the process if I do... But would that be wrong? I wouldn't want them to invest any money in me coming to work for them only to turn them down a month from now...

Edit:: I have heard of Altia. I didn't apply to them because I'm not conversational in Japanese... Maybe NOVA is a good entry level position.

Dallas306
April 15th, 2016, 09:44
Well, in that case, and Eikaiwa job might be for you.

Unfortunately, my acquaintance, is just that, and acquaintance. I wouldn't know how to get in contact with him directly.

I suggest you research potential companies as much as possible. (glassdoor is a good place to start)

If you're in a big hurry, take the job, but if you aren't you can always hold them off or re-apply I suppose. Right now is a bad time to be looking though as you've just missed the big hiring season (march hires for april/may starts). Within the next month, I imagine that there will be more listings for august/september starts.

In the end, you're making a big commitment my moving to Japan, so you certainly don't want to walk into a nightmare.

It's a tough decision for sure.

For me, I fully planned on applying for other jobs even if I were shortlisted, just in case I receive a really rural placement (personal reasons for this).
I just hope that when/if and upgrade comes, I won't get caught in that situation.

I guess you have plenty of thinking to do.

WhiteFang
April 15th, 2016, 10:02
Ah, that's okay! Thanks for giving me his opinion, though, that does help!

I've been on Glassdoor, Reddit, Gaijin Pot forums... basically anything I could get my hands on. Reviews are about 60% positive and 40% negative. I imagine JET has its fair share of horror stories as well.

A lot of people get hired at these English schools, so I'm not under any illusion that they will wait for me to debate my options. Right now I'm under the guise of getting paperwork done (which I am. Transcripts take a while to get around here.) Either way, unless I'm drowning in debt in six months, I would stay my entire contract. Love it or hate it, I signed something that says I would do a job, and I've also had my fair share of terrible jobs and working conditions.

My plan was to apply in America if I didn't get JET and then try again next year. I had one real goal for Japan, but failure was always an option. I have a teaching degree, so I will be a teacher no matter what!

Thanks for the advice! It was actually very helpful to sit here and type all this out and to get an outside opinion! I do have a lot of thinking to do!
But, again, here's hoping for a swift upgrade!

vanillacoke
April 15th, 2016, 11:05
I've worked for NOVA (interestingly, also in Fukuoka). I did it after my ALT contract ended because I wanted to stay in Japan at least another year.
There are both good and bad things about it, definitely. However, I feel like I definitely would have disliked it a LOT more if it had been my introduction to working in Japan.

The Good:
-By and large, the customers/students are coming there because they want to learn. They might not be any good at it, but the difference between teaching someone who WANTS to learn and listen and teaching a classroom of kids who have to learn english whether they like it or not is a huge difference. I could count on one hand the kids I taught at JET who actually wanted to be in the classroom. (With JET, for some reason they tend to mostly stick ALTs in the low level english classes instead of the higher level ones filled with kids who want to learn english because there's a belief that they will all magically get better at english solely by sharing airspace with an english-speaker I guess.) I dont know if you've ever been forced to learn a language you have zero interest in learning, but its very ineffective. Also, I really did like a lot of my regular students.
-The maximum amount of students in the class is 4 (at least at my branches), and I guess this depends on the person but that's a lot easier to manage than the massive classes with up to 40 kids.

The Bad
-Less pay than JET
-Less holidays than JET - you get zero public holidays whereas JETs get all the public holidays off. In fact, public holidays are some of the busier days for NOVA, since its everyone else's day off so they wanna come learn english.
-The hours kinda got to me after a while. My 'weekend' was wednesday and thursday, which was fine (it was kinda nice going out into town on my days off when most other people were working so it wasnt as busy) except for the fact that every single person I knew was busy on those days so I basically never got to see any of my friends. While I did appreciate most days starting late (1 to 9 or something like that I believe), meaning I didnt have to wake up at the asscrack of dawn like I did sometimes as a JET, the late finish was daunting to me, especially when there were so many weirdos who hung around my local train station late at night. My health got kinda bad too because by the time I got home it was way too late to cook anything healthy so fast food on the way home became a bad habit, even if I didnt do it every day.
-the kids classes. Maybe some people will disagree with me here but the kids classes were the worst part of my week. Every NOVA teacher has to have at least one day a week where they teach one or more kids classes. If you're unlucky enough to end up too much in one of the branches inside a shopping mall, the kids classes dominate the day because way too many parents think of NOVA as a fancy daycare they can dump their kids while they're shopping. Some of the older kids arent too bad, but the younger ones (as young as 3-4 I believe) have zero interest in you, in hearing weird english words or in engaging with the weird foreigner trying to get them to dance and sing. We had a 4 year old kid who would regularly shit on the floor, I'm not even kidding. All we could really do was just make sure we always had the cleaning stuff/disinfectant handy, but it would always set the rest of the kids off, pointing and screaming at the turd, and it was a real adventure getting them all under control again. Your mileage may vary but if you have a dislike of/little patience with very young children I would strongly advise against this job.

Some other people dont like the lack of 'freedom' in NOVA lesson plans, but I actually did kind of like this, I like having some kind of structure to work off of and it does allow you to put your own spin on things.
There's people who hate being occasionally sent to branches really far away. I didnt mind it too much cos it didnt happen to often - every now and then I'd get sent to a branch that took me about an hour or so to get to by express train but I actually kind of enjoyed that novelty as it was a place I otherwise never really went.

In all, it's hard for me to say which is better. To be brutally honest, I actually enjoyed the conversation classes with the older/middleaged students a hell of a lot better than teaching classes in JET - however all the negatives kind of balance that out. I guess it depends on individual preference.

WhiteFang
April 15th, 2016, 12:38
Well, that was an extremely comprehensive post!

As for the negatives, I've worked with all ages of children and adults (seriously, daycare to nursing home and basically everything in between) and I have the patience for young kids who are unruly for the sake of being unruly (when you've been cussed out by a kid in kindergarten, you learn to let it roll of your back and get the class back on track.)

So, I'm assuming we don't get Golden Week off, hm?

As for late nights, as someone who is and has always been a night owl (is us used to getting home and cooking around midnight), do you think that I would have the same issue? Or were you a night owl too and that didn't prepare you for the late nights?

Is the less salary livable? I mean, how did you do on it? i'd be coming over there with a few (6-7) thousand dollars... Could I make it?
Did you stay in company housing or your own apartment?

I feel like I'd be okay with being sent all over because that's an excuse to see more of the country. As for the freedom of lesson planning, I'm sure it's stricter than what I'm used to in America, but the american school system isn't exactly a free for all as far as lesson planning goes, so I am used to that.

Motivated students and smaller class sizes seriously seems like a major plus in my book, having dealt with huge classes of kids who'd rather be anywhere else.

I realize no place is perfect to work for, but how is the company itself? Does it function? Does it screw over its employees (anymore than Walmart does, I suppose... or the American school system...) What about Unions? Can I join the General Union while working for NOVA?

I'm sorry for all the questions... Any answers will be appreciated! I'll be asking them a lot of questions too...

Ini
April 15th, 2016, 12:52
Well nova is a lot smaller now than it used to be after the whole embezzlement thing and all its employees were found penniless and unemployed over night being owed 1-2 months in salary that never appeared. Now it's run by two separate companies both using the name so you never really know who is running your particular branch. I mean if you are desperate to come to Japan go for it but Eikaiwa is on the same level as executive recruitment when it comes to crappy jobs for desperate westerners.

vanillacoke
April 15th, 2016, 14:16
To answer your questions in order:

1. I think they let us have a few of the days off for Golden Week but not all of it, solely because a lot of the regular students had gone elsewhere. They basically gave us a choice in the matter - and technically it stil wasnt holidays because we had to make it up later. I took the time off so I could go travelling with friends, i think 2 or 3 days. I made this back by working the full day on the day I usually only got half a day for a few weeks. (so, technically you actually have 2.5 days off a week, the two break days and one day where you have only half the classes you usually do. For me, this was a day that started around 4 and lasted till 9.
You do also get I think about 10 paid holidays to use throughout the year,but then they tend to get kinda mad when you use them. Then again, so does JET, so figure that one out.

2. I'm definitely a night owl, I just dont like being -out- late and I'm used to getting off work around 5. This is just my own preference though.

3. I think the salary is perfectly liveable but this is only going by my experience in Fukuoka. My rent for a small apartment (1 room, miniscule attached kitchen/bathroom/toilet) was about 44000 yen a month, which is amazing to me because the same size apartment would probably be that much per week in Sydney. I've only ever lived in Fukuoka so I dont have experience with how its like to live in more expensive cities like Tokyo. Someone else might be able to help with this. But I also kind of live a bit frugally - I saved heaps of money while I was there, from both my NOVA earnings and what I had left over from JET. I came back with about AUD9000.
However, even when I was on JET I would frequently hear of other JETs complaining about living pay check to pay check so I have absolutely no idea what they do with their money, they must be going out clubbing and buying fancy clothes every other night or something. I never had to starve myself or deprive myself of things I find fun. So while I can say the salary is liveable it does depend on individual lifestyle.
As for the apartment NOVA helped me find one - since I had to move out of my JET one and navigating Japan's weird real estate system is a bit of work.

As for the company itself? It depends. I heard it used to a LOT worse back before the bankruptcy and before it got revived under the new company (G Networks or something?), I heard rumours of people being fired for joining unions even. No idea if its still like that. I think the worst thing is that it's impossible to contact anyone higher up than the staff at your branches; or at least it was for me. It's kind of a cliche of japanese beaurocracy but it was almost like a parody here. I really needed them to give me a certain document that would allow me to claim my tax return when I got back to Australia, but it was impossible. I would ask the staff, and they'd say they'd act the next people up and get back to me, but nothing ever happened. I was asking for -months- before I left about this, by the way, but my request never went anywhere, as opposed to my employers on JET who gave it to me within a day of asking. After my contract with NOVA finished I was still living in Japan for just a month or so without working and one of the NOVA staff told me I could come in one day to get the document then. I came in about 3 times and they never seemed to have it, and one of the staff eventually told me that they would send it to me when I was back in Australia. Once I was, I wasnt able to contact anyone who worked there, and even the other teachers whose emails I had (They were all emails attached to NOVA though) I couldnt find - their emails bounced right back. I think my supervisor stopped working there shortly after me or so. Meanwhile, I accidentally lost my JET one, emailed my old supervisor to see if she could send me a new one, and I got it in the post within a week. Eventually I just accepted I wasn't ever going to get my tax return for NOVA and gave up.

It's a shame about all the negatives because like I said I actually did enjoy the work itself at NOVA. I just prefer the way JET is handled and set up and the available support.
I'm not trying to discourage you, and I actually get annoyed when people just trashtalk NOVA completely because I do not regret working for them. I think it's a decent enough option, but its important to know these things beforehand.

WhiteFang
April 15th, 2016, 14:33
Well, that was just about the most helpful thing I've gotten so far, and you've given me a lot to think about, so thank you!

That tax thing might be an issue in America... But I'll be sure to research that a bit more. That's actually not something I've come across.

And my job right now has me getting home at midnight or 1:00 am, so i don't think the late nights would bother me so much, especially since the days start later, but you never know.

I'm not exactly a spender... I went to Japan with $700 last time for a trip and came back with $500 of that, and that included most meals, so I don't really anticipate running out of cash, but again, never say never. I just know that if I take this one, I won't be able to take the upgrade for JET if it comes... But it doesn't sound like NOVA is the evil cooperation that I've seen some people try to paint it as, but it's not perfect.

Thanks again for the information! It will be paramount in my decision making!

Cheese
April 16th, 2016, 00:45
If you do decide to go with NOVA, I'd be super interested in hearing how it works out for you--I know it's pretty early still, but are you considering documenting your time via blog or anything like that?

WhiteFang
April 16th, 2016, 02:15
If you do decide to go with NOVA, I'd be super interested in hearing how it works out for you--I know it's pretty early still, but are you considering documenting your time via blog or anything like that?

Regardless of how I get there, I will be doing a vlog. I have a semi-large following on YouTube and will most likely be posting videos to document my time. :)

WhiteFang
April 16th, 2016, 05:19
@vanillacoke:

Someone mentioned textbook sales quotas for NOVA. Did you run into that at your branch?

mrcharisma
April 16th, 2016, 10:39
The Eikawa monkey round our way used to regularly beg a couple of us for petrol money so he could get to work. It's a miserable existence and you'll be considered effectively subhuman by the ALTs you encounter.

No matter how desperate you are to get to Japan, wait until something else comes along. If you have a teaching qualification already you're selling yourself short by applying to Nova.

Nomad
April 16th, 2016, 12:11
Looks like the first major wave of upgrades is beginning. Seeing a few posts about Canada and Cali that are getting upgraded.

agrossman1
April 16th, 2016, 17:08
I interviewed in NYC and just got upgraded on Thursday! So excited!!

WhiteFang
April 16th, 2016, 21:41
Congrats!

I have decided odes to continue with my original plan: get a job in the USA and pray JET calls me for an upgrade! Thanks for all the advice! :)

mothy
April 16th, 2016, 21:51
Personally I'm glad of this choice. The only way eikaiwa work will ever change is if their labor supply dries up.

WhiteFang
April 16th, 2016, 23:20
I'm not overly thrilled with my choice, but I don't think I'd be happy either way, so might as well be unhappy closer to home.

mothy
April 16th, 2016, 23:36
Honestly, if teaching english is your desire, then you shouldn't come to Japan. At this point the only reason to come to Japan to teach is if you're obsessesed with Japan. Pretty much every country pays better and Japanese is rated as one of the hardest languages to learn.

torachan
April 17th, 2016, 13:12
Guys, keep your chin up! I got upgraded from the Nashville Consulate on Thursday--the day after our reply forms were due.

It's funny because that morning I got a job offer from Interac and I was going to wait a couple days to reply to see if I got in on the first JET upgrade wave. I was also looking into joining an Army Band and when I got the upgrade call I was on the phone having a preliminary phone interview with the Army Band recruiter. I saw it was from Nashville and I thought "there is no other person this could be... I know no one from Nashville" so I told the recruiter to hold on, that I was getting a very important call. I switched the calls and it was the JET Coordinator asking me if I was still interested in upgrading. Of course I jumped on the offer.

Anaïs
April 19th, 2016, 09:53
Congratulations to all the recent upgrades! Wishing you the best for your JET adventures :)

Zytheta
April 19th, 2016, 14:40
Congrats torachan! :) Hopefully there'll be more upgrades as summer draws closer.

Dallas306
April 19th, 2016, 15:02
Ive only seen a few upgrades online so far. I dont know if thats usual or if theres normally more. Hopefully there will be more this week.

mothy
April 19th, 2016, 17:15
Not everyone runs out to tell the internet first thing.

thatitguy
April 19th, 2016, 22:42
I got upgraded

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p762/n--o--x/Reaction%20Gifs/happy/tumblr_inline_mxd60htDck1ryhp22_zps03fd2d47.gif

Anaïs
April 19th, 2016, 22:50
I got upgraded

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p762/n--o--x/Reaction%20Gifs/happy/tumblr_inline_mxd60htDck1ryhp22_zps03fd2d47.gif

Congratulations!!!

mothy
April 19th, 2016, 23:00

That's the look of a man that's gotten away with something he shouldn't have.

thatitguy
April 19th, 2016, 23:08
That's the look of a man that's gotten away with something he shouldn't have.

We all got away with it when we got accepted to JET :)

Frap
April 20th, 2016, 00:10
Nice one!

thatitguy
April 20th, 2016, 04:02
Thank you. I keep re-reading the email, still can't believe it.

acpc2203
April 20th, 2016, 08:12
Now you too can warm a desk

zakharych
April 22nd, 2016, 01:05
So should alternates bother going to pre-departure orientation events? My consulate is offering japanese lessons, so I'm interested in that but does the benefits of the orientation outweigh the emotional burden of being the sad alternate in the corner?

mrcharisma
April 22nd, 2016, 01:22
So should alternates bother going to pre-departure orientation events? My consulate is offering japanese lessons, so I'm interested in that but does the benefits of the orientation outweigh the emotional burden of being the sad alternate in the corner?

At the pre-departure drinks I went to back in the day a couple of alternates got hammered and found comfort in their shared purgatory. Later on they headed off to a grubby hotel to make the beast with two backs.

Every cloud...

jaejoa
April 22nd, 2016, 03:25
I'm going to some, but with my shortlist friend. Might as well.

zakharych
April 22nd, 2016, 05:09
I'm going to some, but with my shortlist friend. Might as well.
Yeah that's my attitude about it as well. They look interesting at least!

At the pre-departure drinks I went to back in the day a couple of alternates got hammered and found comfort in their shared purgatory. Later on they headed off to a grubby hotel to make the beast with two backs.

Every cloud...
This made me laugh. Nothing brings people together like shared misery.

WhiteFang
April 22nd, 2016, 06:56
Your consulate has sent you things like a schedule? Atlanta hasn't had any contact with us (Alts or short listers) in over 2 weeks... No upgrades from Atlanta and no new information about what we're supposed to be doing... They didn't want us to contact them about if they even got our paperwork. Basically my consulate has been silent for weeks.

OatsCurrySummer
April 22nd, 2016, 07:34

I'll just reiterate what I said on page 2: seriously, go to the events. I was so salty about being an alternate that I only went to one, but when I got upgraded I sorely regretted it. And even if you don't get upgraded, now you have orientation under your belt and can use it to your advantage at the interviews next year.

jaejoa
April 22nd, 2016, 07:42
My consulate is pretty nice and quick from what I've gathered. They emailed me when they received my paperwork and then sent another email saying they'd send a schedule out this week. Got the email yesterday and was planning which events to attend with my friend. Might be because we're probably a pretty small consulate. I'm not sure if anyone from mine has been upgraded yet.

I wanted to go to two of the weekend events but my friend and I are pretty broke and it's an expensive, long bus ride to another province. At least we don't have to go all the way to Montreal. The events do sound pretty fun. Gives me something to look forward to after I move back into the backwoods next week.

BabyKing
April 22nd, 2016, 10:50
ATL consulate has been pretty silent but Melissa has always answered my call and has been extremely helpful with any questions I had. I forgot to check a box on my shortlist reply form about my SO and she called me personally for clarification. I do wish that we got updates from the ATL consulate like others though lol. I do wonder why there hasn't been ANY ATL upgrades so far though. I guess no one in the region has dropped out yet

WhiteFang
April 22nd, 2016, 11:56
Yeah. I'm beginning to think that there are no upgrades from Atlanta... Guess I'll just have to wait until placements come up and hope for the best then...

BabyKing
April 22nd, 2016, 13:02
I bet a few open up then!

DjgoofyG
April 29th, 2016, 04:29
Hey guys I just received the news that I was upgraded from the LA consulate. Actually it was yesterday that I received an inquiry email, asking me if I was still interested in the position. Of course I said yes, and I still can't believe it. When I received the inquiry email I was pretty cautious about it, I didn't want to jump the gun. Anyway for those who are still waiting I'm cheering for you guys and, I hope you get upgraded.

Dallas306
May 2nd, 2016, 06:27
Since it's been so quiet in here lately I figured I would give an update on my situation.

Although my Jet coordinator has not called me for an upgrade, I have been fairly busy applying for other positions. I have been very picky in my search because I do not want to work for a disreputable alt dispatch company nor do eikeiwa work.

One particularly good option has come through from Altia Central and I have accepted an interview with their recruitment manager in June. The only catch is that I am in the Canadian prairies and the interview is in Seattle. As luck would have it, I will already be on Vancouver island visiting family up until a few days prior to his arrival in Seattle. So, I have decided to extend my vacation and spend a few days in Vancouver, (one of my favorite places), and then drive down to Seattle for a night, interview, and then drive back to Vancouver to fly home.

Although this is not exactly a cheap ordeal for me, I'll take any excuse to spend time in Vancouver. The added bonushttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://s.igmhb.com/click?v=Q0E6MjM1Nzk6MTA5Njpib251czoxODdkODg1Y2Q1NzIyNjY0YTY4ODY4YTU2ZWE3MWQ4Nzp6LTI0NDktODc4NTg1MDM6d3d3Lml0aGlua2ltbG9zdC5jb206MTEzNTk0OjBlNzU1YjIyYzg4ZWUyZWQyZGM0Yzk0YWQ5Y2IwYWNiOmUwMDRkNDViNjU4MjQxODU4MjI0NGU0MTcxZDM1YjNmOjE6ZGF0YV9zcyw4NjB4MTYwMDtkYXRhX3JjLDE7ZGF0YV9mYixubzs6NDQwNDkyOTp2d29wdCww&subid=g-87858503-cd9c8189ae4142f5894c459ad18cb10b-&data_ss=860x1600&data_rc=1&data_fb=no&data_tagname=A&data_ct=image_only&data_clickel=link&data_sid=700dbdd70a5bd656764f0e203c9d71bd) is that last time I was in Seattle, I only had about 3 hours to spend in the city as a certain American border officer thought that my car was 'stupid' and decided to hold me at the border all day. He could not wrap his head around a right hand drive car on US soil. So, this will hopefully give me a chance to redeem the day I missed in Seattle last time.

So, best case scenario, I get an upgrade and an offer from Altia, then my choice will really come down to placement. I really want to relocate to a big (ish) city, and that is more important to me that the slight salary boost that a Jet job will afford me.

The one big benefithttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/#53482595) of working for Altia over Jet is that you are guaranteed all holidays off paid 100%. Which amount to almost 2 months of paid time off, which although the salary for Jet is higher, that doesn't mean much if I am unable to do the travelling that I want to.

So..., How are my fellow job-searchers doing? WhiteFang, have you had any more luck?

jaejoa
May 2nd, 2016, 07:26
That sounds good. I don't know much about Altia, I guess I should look into it. Right now, I'm really restricted by location (the boonies of Atlantic Canada). I have to save up some more money before I can move to a bigger city in Canada. I might stay at home for awhile and get my driver's license, work whatever jobs. Right now, I can't make any certain long-term plans for a lot of reasons.

Right now, I'm going to be living with a group of Japanese college kids. I'm in charge of activities during their time in Canada. Really looking forward to meeting them all soon, this is my tenth group and my fourth year of involvement in the program. haha The job ends in August and then I can move on and do whatever.

tobio
May 2nd, 2016, 11:42
You mentioned a big city placement is important to you, Dallas, but how big is big-ish? You'll most likely INITIALLY be placed in Gifu City but the thing with Altia is that they have a bit of a reputation of moving people away from their initial placements whether you like it or not - so if placement in a big city is a big deal for you I'd actually recommend ECC to you instead of Altia. Altia has also hired people and then pulled their contracts away from them once they've realized they've hired too many people, which seems to happen a disappointing amount in that company. It seems to be a pretty okay company to be with once you're settled, but reading your post and how you DEFINITELY want a big city placement... Maybe look into ECC?

jaejoa
May 2nd, 2016, 12:01
I have a friend who works for ECC and lives in Osaka, I think. I'm pretty sure he's happy with his job.

Dallas306
May 2nd, 2016, 12:15
When I say 'big', I mean like 750,000 people or more. Few reasons for this;
One, I live in Saskatoon, which is like 250,000, and soooo boring. Biggest city in the province, but still 5 or more hours to Edmonton or Calgary. Very isolated.
Two, My long-time girlfriend will be accompanying me, but will likely not have a job lined up prior to relocating. Since we're Canadian, she plans to get a working-holiday visa and then hunt for a job. So, being in a larger city provides far more employment opportunities that a smaller one.

I wouldn't even be against living in a smaller city, as long as it is in a reasonable commuting distance of a larger one.

I could have sworn that I wrote off ECC for some reason, But I'll take a second look.

mothy
May 2nd, 2016, 12:57
Pretty much every company like that practices some sort of shadiness so you're bound to find someone bitching about them online, if that's why you decided against ECC. Not saying ignore the complaints, they're quite likely true. But know that pretty much all of them are the same in that regards, and if it's a deal breaker, then maybe teaching in Japan isn't for you.

Dallas306
May 2nd, 2016, 13:07
Ignore my previous statement on ECC. Must not have been a deal-breaker. I've been keeping a list of positions I've applied to and ECC was one of them. I applied about a week ago, but completely forgot about it somehow...

I'm well aware of the shady-tales out there, but one or two burnt employee reviews are not going to throw me off.
I would guess that scorned ex-employees are far more likely to hop online and bitch about their terrible experiences, than an employee/ex-employee who is relatively satisfied.

That being said, there are some schools/companies that have been consistently badmouthed for years. I'm much more inclined to be weary of them.

jaejoa
May 2nd, 2016, 19:58
I currently live in a town of roughly 5500, which includes the entire undergrad university population, with a hometown of less than 300. I think on my application I put small cities or towns because just about anywhere is going to be bigger than where I'm from.

One of my best friends used to commute from Aichi everyday to Tokyo for work, but that was only two hours one way, so not bad. Hopefully if you're placed somewhere smaller you'd live in close enough distance with a bigger city for your girlfriend. My partner had wanted to come with me, but we were worried about that. His citizenship isn't Canadian and it was going to be a heck of a lot harder for him to find employment.

mothy
May 2nd, 2016, 22:38
One of my best friends used to commute from Aichi everyday to Tokyo for work, but that was only two hours one way, so not bad.

What??? That's insanity.

jaejoa
May 3rd, 2016, 03:17
What??? That's insanity.

She was living with her parents at the time. Her older bro and his girlfriend moved to Tokyo for work and she eventually joined them. But yeah, two hours. She's not the only one of my friends to do that there either, although for most of the others it was 1-2 hours to get to their university campus from home.

I guess to me that doesn't seem like much because I know people who drive 1-2 hours to work everyday. It's pretty common here.

Oh hey, I have a question about some paperwork. I'm a little worried my Certificate of Health may arrive a day late. I wasn't able to get in to see my family doctor until today and he gave me the forms to have my x-ray and everything else taken care of. I won't be able to send everything off until early Wednesday afternoon next week and it's due that Friday. I'm just paranoid it won't reach Montreal until the 16th, although all my documents I've express posted to them have normally arrived in less than two days. Do I just email them to let them know or what if I think it might be late? I was supposed to be able to send them off next Monday and belatedly found out that appointment hadn't been scheduled..

ThroneofBlood
May 3rd, 2016, 14:22
Oh hey, I have a question about some paperwork. I'm a little worried my Certificate of Health may arrive a day late. I wasn't able to get in to see my family doctor until today and he gave me the forms to have my x-ray and everything else taken care of. I won't be able to send everything off until early Wednesday afternoon next week and it's due that Friday. I'm just paranoid it won't reach Montreal until the 16th, although all my documents I've express posted to them have normally arrived in less than two days. Do I just email them to let them know or what if I think it might be late? I was supposed to be able to send them off next Monday and belatedly found out that appointment hadn't been scheduled..

If I was in your shoes, I would just call them instead of emailing. I don't think it'll be a big deal, just briefly explain the situation and tell them it'll be there on Friday most likely, but if it isn't then it will be by Monday at the latest.

jaejoa
May 3rd, 2016, 23:17
If I was in your shoes, I would just call them instead of emailing. I don't think it'll be a big deal, just briefly explain the situation and tell them it'll be there on Friday most likely, but if it isn't then it will be by Monday at the latest.
Okiedoke, thanks! My consulate has always been fast to tell me when my packages have arrived and whatnot but I'll call and let them know.

ThroneofBlood
May 4th, 2016, 10:18
Okiedoke, thanks! My consulate has always been fast to tell me when my packages have arrived and whatnot but I'll call and let them know.

ESID strikes before we're even in Japan? You're lucky your consulate lets you know when they've received your docs. Mine doesn't unless there's something wrong with the docs, so I've been tracking my packages and hoping it's all good lol.

jaejoa
May 4th, 2016, 12:25
ESID strikes before we're even in Japan? You're lucky your consulate lets you know when they've received your docs. Mine doesn't unless there's something wrong with the docs, so I've been tracking my packages and hoping it's all good lol.
I think it's just because mine is smaller so less people to manage. I received email notifications each time I sent something in, usually twice, the second time thanking me and letting me know what to expect to do next. I normally have tracking on my documents because I'm mailing out of province.

zakharych
May 13th, 2016, 00:11
I went to my first pre-departure orientation event a couple days ago and realized that A. There are lot of JETs that are way more qualified than I am and B. There are a lot people in my consulate that were alternates last year and are shortlisted this year. Made me realize that if I do really want to go on JET it may be a bit of a longer process. Also I met someone that had been upgraded already so I guess I wasn't that high up on my consulate's list lol

mrcharisma
May 13th, 2016, 02:16
I went to my first pre-departure orientation event a couple days ago and realized that A. There are lot of JETs that are way more qualified than I am

JET attracts a huge amount of CV padders, crawlers and blowhards that love the sound of their own voice. Don't be intimidated by them and take everything these polyester-suited clowns say with large pinch of salt.

As long as you can turn up for work in a Pokemon t-shirt and gurn like a trained chimp for the kids when asked, you meet the required "qualifications."

jaejoa
May 13th, 2016, 02:49
I'm kinda excited to go to one of the pre-departure orientation events next month. My friend and I are really curious how many people from our area get shortlisted every year, we haven't found any other shortlisters or alternates. Still hoping I might get upgraded by then but looking into other stuff to do with my life in the meantime that are pretty unrelated.

My consulate is split between two areas, am I only competing with those from my interview location or my entire consulate? I forget if I've asked this. lol Because if it's just interview location I probably don't have a very good shot. But we'll see.

Right now I live with and supervise a large group of Japanese exchange students and plan out activities for them. I realized the students ask me the same questions as I was asked during my interview. lol At least working with them causes me to think about how I can better my application and interview for next year. I have almost four years of volunteer and work experience with Japanese students, which is kind of crazy when I think about it.

OatsCurrySummer
May 13th, 2016, 09:54
JET attracts a huge amount of CV padders, crawlers and blowhards that love the sound of their own voice. Don't be intimidated by them and take everything these polyester-suited clowns say with large pinch of salt.

As long as you can turn up for work in a Pokemon t-shirt and gurn like a trained chimp for the kids when asked, you meet the required "qualifications."
^ Truth.
On paper I looked great but now I'm fairly certain I'm the worst ALT ever. Come September, they'll be taken down a few dozen notches.

Penguinonfire
May 13th, 2016, 11:28
My consulate is split between two areas, am I only competing with those from my interview location or my entire consulate? I forget if I've asked this. lol Because if it's just interview location I probably don't have a very good shot. But we'll see.

At this point (or at least once placements are out) you are competing with every other alternate in the world. This sounds bad, but at least you are now also being considered for all replacement possibilities.
It's actually a little more complicated than that, because COs can request specific types of ALTs, like: "We want a British female who can drive."

jaejoa
May 13th, 2016, 20:06
At this point (or at least once placements are out) you are competing with every other alternate in the world. This sounds bad, but at least you are now also being considered for all replacement possibilities.
It's actually a little more complicated than that, because COs can request specific types of ALTs, like: "We want a British female who can drive."
Oh, that's fine. I wasn't sure if it was now with everyone or just my consulate, I thought that came a little later. I knew I wouldn't likely get upgraded if it was just my consulate. :) I'm pretty aware of the process otherwise.

BabyKing
May 21st, 2016, 20:55
Anyone get upgraded yet?

Dallas306
May 25th, 2016, 03:53
Not me. Not sure when placement acceptance is due for shortlisters but I imagine there will be some upgrades following.

ThroneofBlood
May 25th, 2016, 05:59
It was due by the 24th for us, so I think we'll be seeing some soon. Hope it's some of you guys in here!

WhiteFang
May 25th, 2016, 23:27
I just got upgraded! But now I have a problem! I have a position already, but the paperwork with just completed and I haven't moved over there yet! I don't want to turn down JET, but I feel obligated to take this job! Anyone want a job in Ube, Yamaguchi? It's actually a really good gig!

mrcharisma
May 26th, 2016, 00:04
I just got upgraded! But now I have a problem! I have a position already, but the paperwork with just completed and I haven't moved over there yet! I don't want to turn down JET, but I feel obligated to take this job! Anyone want a job in Ube, Yamaguchi? It's actually a really good gig!

I imagine they'd rather re-advertise the role, as opposed to taking your word that someone you don't know from an anonymous Internet forum deserves it.

WhiteFang
May 26th, 2016, 00:36
That's kind of how I got the job in the first place. It's a small school that employs one teacher at a time, plus the manager, who is doing the hiring. Their current teacher is leaving for JET also.

Dallas306
May 26th, 2016, 01:47
Just as I see this, I get an email from my Jet coordinator (about pre-orientation events....) ughh!

Congrats WhiteFang! - on whatever you decide.

WhiteFang
May 26th, 2016, 02:02
Thanks, Dallas! Hey, if you want a job, there's an opening at a school in Ube!

jaejoa
May 26th, 2016, 10:52
Ohhhh awesome!! I would love Yamaguchi, one of my good friends is from there. :D But hopefully wherever you're placed on JET is even better!

I haven't been upgraded.

Jamie Solo
May 26th, 2016, 20:42
Thanks, Dallas! Hey, if you want a job, there's an opening at a school in Ube!

Would they take a Brit? =p

WhiteFang
May 26th, 2016, 20:52
Would they take a Brit? =p

I don't know, but I can ask.

Jamie Solo
May 26th, 2016, 21:09
I don't know, but I can ask.

Well, I'm about to take a job around here that I don't really want. So if I can be saved from that, you'd be a hero! ;)

WhiteFang
May 26th, 2016, 21:22
Well, I'm about to take a job around here that I don't really want. So if I can be saved from that, you'd be a hero! ;)

Are you already in Japan? If not, you'd have to be prepared to leave pretty quickly!

Jamie Solo
May 26th, 2016, 21:43
Are you already in Japan? If not, you'd have to be prepared to leave pretty quickly!

Not in Japan but I can move pretty quickly personally. The visa would be the only definite time limit.

WhiteFang
May 26th, 2016, 21:58
Not in Japan but I can move pretty quickly personally. The visa would be the only definite time limit.

give me like 24 hours. The previous employee might want her job back now that I don't want it, and I'm waiting to hear from her.

Jamie Solo
May 26th, 2016, 22:43
give me like 24 hours. The previous employee might want her job back now that I don't want it, and I'm waiting to hear from her.

Cool, just let me know!

zakharych
May 27th, 2016, 01:08
Ohhhh awesome!! I would love Yamaguchi, one of my good friends is from there. :D But hopefully wherever you're placed on JET is even better!

I haven't been upgraded.

Me neither! Although I do know someone who dropped out from our consulate. So if I haven't been upgraded and you haven't...who is flying the plane?

WhiteFang
May 27th, 2016, 21:49
Is there an actual interview / résumé submission process for this sweet gig or do you just send them a link to your Facebook feed?

Theres an interview and resume submission process, but not really an application. It's a very small school.

Also, does anyone know how long you have to send in your reply form, or is your verbal consent a solid "yes" to hold your spot until it becomes a "no?" I'm having a little trouble getting this company to release my CoE application...

NatDoug
May 28th, 2016, 01:30

CONGRATS FANG.!!!!! I'm glad one of us made it.

NatDoug
June 10th, 2016, 04:58
UPGRADED!!! I just got the call. Now I'm waiting on paperwork and my placement.

WhiteFang
June 10th, 2016, 08:10
Yay! Congrats and welcome to the upgrade list! ^^ were you super excited to get the call?!

OatsCurrySummer
June 10th, 2016, 08:12
Congrats! Shoot me a message if you get placed in Nago city, Okinawa, we just had a shortlister chicken out last week.

NatDoug
June 11th, 2016, 01:29
Very excited Fang. I only have until tomorrow to hand in my paperwork and the seminar is tomorrow as well. Talk about good timing.

Summer I definitely will. Hoping to get my placement soon.

zakharych
November 9th, 2016, 23:57
In a bizarre twist of fate, I've just been upgraded! Equal parts excited and terrified, getting ready to uproot my life.

I got the call just as I was about to book a trip in February, timing could not have been more key.

mothy
November 10th, 2016, 06:11
Wow. That's a pretty late upgrade. Someone must have got the seasonal culture shox pretty hard.

OatsCurrySummer
November 10th, 2016, 08:07
Wow. That's a pretty late upgrade. Someone must have got the seasonal culture shox pretty hard.
A JET in Okinawa just fucked off a few weeks ago I think. But he was much older and didn't ever talk to the rest of us so I'm not entirely sure.

OatsCurrySummer
November 10th, 2016, 08:09
Also, congrats!! I was a December upgrade myself, so if you have any questions, as Virgil put it, about "setting your life on fire before boarding a plane" feel free to ask!

Frap
November 10th, 2016, 08:49
In a bizarre twist of fate, I've just been upgraded! Equal parts excited and terrified, getting ready to uproot my life.

I got the call just as I was about to book a trip in February, timing could not have been more key.

congrats! i recommend you read as much as possible on this forum and it should prepare you somewhat for the JET experience

also, join in and post more!

zakharych
November 10th, 2016, 14:07
congrats! i recommend you read as much as possible on this forum and it should prepare you somewhat for the JET experience

also, join in and post more!

Thank you! And yes, I believe i will have to read more as my life had made a sudden change from maintaining a cool yet reasonable distance from all things JET to oh my god this is actually happening.

Jamie Solo
November 11th, 2016, 05:56
Add me to that upgrade list and heading there next month!

Call came out out of nowhere and couldn't say no in the end ;)

Frap
November 11th, 2016, 08:05
nice, congrats!

3 posts until your next badge FYI x

OatsCurrySummer
November 11th, 2016, 10:22
Add me to that upgrade list and heading there next month!

Call came out out of nowhere and couldn't say no in the end ;)
Congratulations!! Let me know if you want any advice about late upgrades and settling in!

Jamie Solo
November 12th, 2016, 19:22
Thanks guys!

And Oats, I think I will! All I know so far is the day I leave and what prefecture I'm off to!