PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Plans for Golden Week?

OatsCurrySummer
April 11th, 2016, 14:00
Doing anything fun for Golden Week this year? Tatami Timeshare is down at the moment so my plans to check out Fukuoka and Oita are pretty much down the shitter now.
What are the coolest things about your prefecture, and which ones are you still itching to see? Or are you just going to leave Japan altogether for vacation?

SparkMaster
April 11th, 2016, 14:02
Onsen, festivals, and beer. Same as always.

mothy
April 11th, 2016, 14:20
Nothing. Traveling in GW is a pain regularly. Now with a kid and a dog? No thanks. The in-laws will visit, I'll go to my local bar and drink beer til I'm shitfaced.

There's nothing in Saitama worth seeing and I've seen all the things that are rumoured to be worth seeing.

acpc2203
April 11th, 2016, 14:25
Would love to visit back home, but it is the worst time of the year. Maybe if I flew via Korea.

OatsCurrySummer
April 11th, 2016, 14:34
There's nothing in Saitama worth seeing and I've seen all the things that are rumoured to be worth seeing.
Au contraire, I really want to see the Iwatsuki doll museum and spend stupid amounts of money on a hina ningyou.

mothy
April 11th, 2016, 14:58
I suppose you also want to visit the train museum and see the in-breds of Chichibu?

Jiggit
April 11th, 2016, 14:59
You have an inbred museum?

mothy
April 11th, 2016, 15:01
No. It's two different things to see. I guess that would have been a good time for the old Oxford comma?

OatsCurrySummer
April 11th, 2016, 15:15
I suppose you also want to visit the train museum and see the in-breds of Chichibu?
Dolls and pottery are kinda my thing. Wanted to go to Fukuoka to see the Hakata doll museum as well. As you may have already guessed, I am a positively riveting person.

Jiggit
April 11th, 2016, 15:17
I'd go to Fukuoka if I were you. Don't worry about staying in some smelly foreigner's hovel, they have these things called "hotels". It's like a place where adults can stay once they grow up and get a job.

uthinkimlost?
April 11th, 2016, 15:20
Yeah, I'm not sure in what other circumstance you'd want to sleep on some random jackhole's floor. Only in Japan, it seems.

Granted, roofies are harder to get here, but bathtubs of sand are not.

acpc2203
April 11th, 2016, 15:23
Tell me more about these inbreds

Ananasboat
April 11th, 2016, 15:41
The boy got a new car and it's all roomy on the inside so a bunch of us are taking a couple cars on a road trip. Dunno where we're going, but it should be interesting.

ambrosse
April 11th, 2016, 15:52
My older sister is visiting so we're traveling the Kansai area. It'll be busy as fuck, but whatever. I was able to save a crap ton of nenkyuu because i'm cheap.

mothy
April 11th, 2016, 15:54
Tell me more about these inbreds

Well a lot of them have Gollum teeth and they smell like shochu.

Zolrak 22
April 11th, 2016, 17:35
My older sister is visiting so we're traveling the Kansai area. It'll be busy as fuck, but whatever. I was able to save a crap ton of nenkyuu because i'm cheap.
Please, take lots of pictures. [emoji75]

Fantasylife
April 11th, 2016, 17:49
I'm getting a hotel in my nearest major city (Hiroshima) and just chilling: food, shopping, a bit of sightseeing. Getting out of my little town a few days is Golden enough for me.

Zolrak 22
April 11th, 2016, 19:33
I'm getting a hotel in my nearest major city (Hiroshima) and just chilling: food, shopping, a bit of sightseeing. Getting out of my little town a few days is Golden enough for me.
Be sure to have fun, Fantasia. [emoji14]

Is it a tourist area? I would imagine so if it has hotels. (unless it's an area where businessmen tend to travel to)

Traveling alone is kind of a zen experience for me. What about you?

acpc2203
April 11th, 2016, 19:43
Well a lot of them have Gollum teeth and they smell like shochu.
So better smelling JETs

Fantasylife
April 11th, 2016, 20:53
Be sure to have fun, Fantasia. [emoji14]

Is it a tourist area? I would imagine so if it has hotels. (unless it's an area where businessmen tend to travel to)

It's mostly touristy because of the history of the city, so you get a lot of people coming to see the peace museum and remnants of the bombing. I wouldn't exactly call it a fun place for family vacationing, but it's fine for someone like me just looking to relax for a few days. And while I like doing the group thing time to time, I much prefer to travel on my own. Following just one itenarary (my own) is a lot better than being pulled in five different directions by five different itenararies.

Jiggit
April 11th, 2016, 21:12
Is it a tourist area?

Interviewer: "What would you do if a student asked you about Hiroshima?"

Zolrak: "Dunno, is it a tourist area?"

Wonder why you got rejected...

Gizmotech
April 11th, 2016, 21:20
My plans for golden week is to wank. And wank some more.

Zolrak 22
April 11th, 2016, 21:52
Interviewer: "What would you do if a student asked you about Hiroshima?"

Zolrak: "Dunno, is it a tourist area?"

Wonder why you got rejected...
I wasn't talking about the city as a whole, but the area she's going.

It's the difference between going to New York to see the towers' memorial and going to New York to see Brooklyn.

mothy
April 12th, 2016, 07:40
So better smelling JETs

Bad teeth aren't on my list of JET flaws.

acpc2203
April 12th, 2016, 08:51
Bad teeth aren't on my list of JET flaws.
Yeah actually it's the bad breath.

mrcharisma
April 12th, 2016, 09:44
Fantasylife is a functioning adult.
Anna.Mod is not.
Zolrak is still a creepy pervert.
Every day is a school day (literally and figuratively) on ITIL!

Frap
April 12th, 2016, 09:45

Zen or necessary?

Need a hand?

OatsCurrySummer
April 12th, 2016, 09:50
Anna.Mod is not.

Yes yes, I'm acutely aware that my Japanese is shit and I'm probably incapable of booking a hotel or finding my way around alone.

Frap
April 12th, 2016, 09:55
Anna.Mod is not.
Zolrak is still a creepy pervert.
Every day is a school day (literally and figuratively) on ITIL!

You Light Up My Life by Debbie Boone - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3ssmH8vjf4)

acpc2203
April 12th, 2016, 10:04
Zolrak will be cyberstalking "girls" long after the sun has gone out.

GodInStrafeMode
April 12th, 2016, 14:38

Knocked out 6 over the weekend, might give myself a break and actually go outside for GW

Jiggit
April 12th, 2016, 14:41
So do you guys not get the death grip or have you given up on having sex with a real woman again? It's a question I constantly ask myself.

GodInStrafeMode
April 12th, 2016, 14:52
Oh mang, sex with women is good too BUT they aren't going to let me do that type of stuff with them

uthinkimlost?
April 12th, 2016, 14:54
Giz's left hand self-identifies as a 15 year old virgin schoolgirl, cis-scum! She's every bit a real woman! Check your privilege!

GodInStrafeMode
April 12th, 2016, 15:02
When I'm in that dark place I can always revert back to Tenga products

mothy
April 12th, 2016, 15:08
Week after golden week is beerfest week, so that's what I'm excited for.

OatsCurrySummer
April 12th, 2016, 15:09
Week after golden week is beerfest week, so that's what I'm excited for.
Saitama has like 35 sake breweries, right? Have you toured some of them?

mothy
April 12th, 2016, 15:14
No, because nihonshu is terrible. I have toured wineries and a whisky distillery in Yamanashi before. Those were... Cool? Interesting? Hm. Oh, I think "an excuse to drink alcohol" were the words I was looking for.

Jiggit
April 12th, 2016, 15:25
Oh come on, nihonshu is far too bland to describe as "terrible".

GodInStrafeMode
April 12th, 2016, 16:14
Doing anything fun for Golden Week this year? Tatami Timeshare is down at the moment so my plans to check out Fukuoka and Oita are pretty much down the shitter now.
What are the coolest things about your prefecture, and which ones are you still itching to see? Or are you just going to leave Japan altogether for vacation?

Not sure how much you want to give away about yourself online but you literally just popped in my FB feed. KI WO TSUKETE NE

OatsCurrySummer
April 12th, 2016, 16:28
Not sure how much you want to give away about yourself online but you literally just popped in my FB feed. KI WO TSUKETE NE
Crap, was it my Prefectural Block FB post?

Frap
April 12th, 2016, 16:33

Only a dedicated serial killer could be bothered to travel to your island, don't worry

Frap
April 12th, 2016, 16:33

Like maybe Zolrak but you've got time to delete your post before he sees it

GodInStrafeMode
April 12th, 2016, 16:37

;) To be honest I don't know you from a bar of soap but I do know you're in Okinawa so I connected the dots in all of about 3 seconds.
LOL @ the guy offering you to crash at his place that is nowhere ANYWHERE even near the places you want to visit.

OatsCurrySummer
April 12th, 2016, 20:41
Wow, it took me long enough to discover Airbnb but I've booked my trip to Fukuoka and Oita. I'm terribly excited now! Hakata mingei museum and Yufuin Onsen are my must sees thus far.

acpc2203
April 12th, 2016, 21:03
Only a dedicated serial killer could be bothered to travel to your island, don't worry
So only half of ITIL?

Jiggit
April 12th, 2016, 21:54
Wow, it took me long enough to discover Airbnb but I've booked my trip to Fukuoka and Oita. I'm terribly excited now! Hakata mingei museum and Yufuin Onsen are my must sees thus far.

I'm still not sure what you have against hotels.

OatsCurrySummer
April 12th, 2016, 22:00
Got nothing against 'em, I'm just a dumbass who decided last minute to take a vacation during golden week when all that remains are wildly overpriced one-star hovels.

mothy
April 13th, 2016, 07:16

It doesn't give the sense of danger that airbnb does.

OatsCurrySummer
April 13th, 2016, 08:26
It doesn't give the sense of danger that airbnb does.
What can I say, being so close to the sweet embrace of oblivion gets me all hot.

uthinkimlost?
April 13th, 2016, 08:30
What can I say, being so close to the sweet embrace of oblivion gets me all hot.

You're gonna fit in allllllright.

Jiggit
April 13th, 2016, 10:00
You're alright with me, Anna.Mod

Are you an Asean?

vaterross
April 13th, 2016, 11:10
Was thinking about hopping on the bike and riding around for a few days. I've done a few overnight trips but I've been meaning to do a multiday.

OatsCurrySummer
April 13th, 2016, 13:18
Was thinking about hopping on the bike and riding around for a few days. I've done a few overnight trips but I've been meaning to do a multiday.
I know a JET who walked from the bottom to the top of Okinawa for fun. It was 104km and took him four days!! I'd love to do the same by bike.

acpc2203
April 13th, 2016, 13:58
I sure wouldn't

uthinkimlost?
April 13th, 2016, 14:16
It was 104km and took him four days!!

That's a remarkably unimpressive walking speed. Was he only actually walking like 4 hours a day?

OatsCurrySummer
April 13th, 2016, 14:47
You're alright with me, Anna.Mod

Are you an Asean?
No, just a self-hating Italian.

That's a remarkably unimpressive walking speed. Was he only actually walking like 4 hours a day?
Probably about 5 hours a day, but I'm impressed by his dedication nonetheless.

uthinkimlost?
April 13th, 2016, 14:59
No, just a self-hating Italian.

Be still Jiggle's throbbing erection!

Zolrak 22
April 13th, 2016, 15:07
you literally just popped in my FB

And I'm the stalker? [emoji14]

I don't like the idea of airbnbs, same with Uber and etc (it's why I've seldom used them).

I mean, sure you can go by reviews, but their refund policies and ways to help the customer if anything goes wrong are lacking at best.

GodInStrafeMode
April 13th, 2016, 15:23

It's not like I was trying or anything. As I said, she just popped up!

Jiggit
April 13th, 2016, 15:24
No, just a self-hating Italian

Oh well, nobody's perfect.

acpc2203
April 13th, 2016, 15:24
He is such a great stalker that his victims come to him without any effort, I'm impressed.

ambrosse
April 13th, 2016, 15:36

I don't like the idea of airbnbs, same with Uber and etc (it's why I've seldom used them).

I mean, sure you can go by reviews, but their refund policies and ways to help the customer if anything goes wrong are lacking at best.

I used Airbnb once since coming here and it's not thaaaat bad. My friend and I had a really nice stay at a small inn in the middle of nowhere Hyogo. The young woman who ran it was awesome and cooked breakfast and dinner for the other guests and ourselves and even drove us to and from the station!
Reviews are king.

Hotels are nice though. The privacy!! When you have someone who has travel status with you, the nice hotels get cheaper and cheaper~
Golden Week will be full of millions of people trying to get on the same train and trying to get the same picture of the damn bamboo grove, but at least I'll get free full breakfast every morning and a private shower!

Jiggit
April 13th, 2016, 15:47
Hotels are nice though. The privacy!! When you have someone who has travel status with you, the nice hotels get cheaper and cheaper~
Golden Week will be full of millions of people trying to get on the same train and trying to get the same picture of the damn bamboo grove, but at least I'll get free full breakfast every morning and a private shower!

You mean you don't want the chance to chat with a smelly, backpacking Kiwi when you go on holiday???

ambrosse
April 13th, 2016, 16:04
You mean you don't want the chance to chat with a smelly, backpacking Kiwi when you go on holiday???

Nope. Not at all.
Hotels are always the top choice if I can spare some extra cash.

Shinwa Academy
April 25th, 2016, 16:12
Going to 3 VR game events, seeing Civil War in 4DX and also going to ride a Honda UNI-CUB.
Can't wait for the holiday!

GodInStrafeMode
April 26th, 2016, 11:53
Got a discount on tissues at my local DoraMori, this is gunna be the best GW EVER!

acpc2203
April 26th, 2016, 13:40
If the weather holds I'm going to go to the beach.

Frap
April 26th, 2016, 14:45
Like this?

http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/sunburn-sunblock-mask-design-4.jpg

acpc2203
April 26th, 2016, 14:51
yup

OatsCurrySummer
April 27th, 2016, 09:29
Like this?

http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/sunburn-sunblock-mask-design-4.jpg

You mean you dont​ go to the beach like this? Weird.

uthinkimlost?
April 27th, 2016, 09:42
You mean you dont​ go to the beach like this? Weird.

Why would he wear his sleepwear to the beach?

His safeword is muchalucha, btw.

Frap
April 27th, 2016, 09:48
i think im actually quite vanilla in bed :(

acpc2203
April 27th, 2016, 10:40
What a loser.

Frap
April 27th, 2016, 11:47
'ere c3p0, wats ur kink?

acpc2203
April 27th, 2016, 12:26
Floor tiles

Frap
April 27th, 2016, 12:48
kinda raunch

vaterross
April 27th, 2016, 13:22
Going to Osaka for a concert this weekend, been awhile since I've seen any live music.

acpc2203
April 27th, 2016, 15:36
kinda raunch
Also mexican sugar dancing

Frap
April 27th, 2016, 15:45
imagine mexican sugar dancing on a well-laid tiled floor

acpc2203
April 27th, 2016, 15:58
now that's what im talking about, as long the floor tiles are in a tasteful pattern of course

GodInStrafeMode
April 28th, 2016, 10:22
Terracotta or it doesn't count

Amleth
April 28th, 2016, 16:01
So if driving somewhere distant, in terms of cutting down travel time, is it better to drive overnight late on the Thursday night, or wait 'til, say, Friday morning/afternoon? When does the initial rush die off?

GodInStrafeMode
April 28th, 2016, 16:19
Whatever you do, avoid the highways over the holiday break - people drive like they're on crack during any form of public holiday here

Amleth
April 28th, 2016, 16:24
I'm too cheap for the highways anyway. Happy to take the extra 50% or so driving time (and it's usually only slightly further in actual distance, so fuel cost tends to be about the same) to save 1-2 man in toll fees. It can get totally crazy if driving cross-country. The highway only really makes sense if car-pooling.

Ananasboat
April 28th, 2016, 20:58
Lol. I'm taking a road trip. Awesome.

mothy
April 28th, 2016, 21:07
The highway only really makes sense if car-pooling.

Or if you value your time at all.

Mothy checks what site he's at.

Oh, nevermind.

mrcharisma
April 28th, 2016, 21:38
I'm too cheap for the highways anyway. Happy to take the extra 50% or so driving time (and it's usually only slightly further in actual distance, so fuel cost tends to be about the same) to save 1-2 man in toll fees. It can get totally crazy if driving cross-country. The highway only really makes sense if car-pooling.

By that measure a 4 day road trip would become a 6 day one so you'd have to spunk a couple of man more on hotels anyway.