PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth

weepinbell
April 14th, 2016, 13:31
Anyone gotten them out here? I'm going home either summer or winter, so I can always wait it out, but I'm wondering if I should just do it here if it's inexpensive? I've heard they don't put you under though, so if that's the case, no thanks...

Satori Shinobi
April 14th, 2016, 14:23
I got mine done in the states. They put me under and used laughing gas at first so I went down laughing at everything the dentist said before blacking out. Although, considering dentists here can be hit or miss, I would do some research as to what options are available in your location. Also propwer pain meds here might be nonexistent.

Isola
April 14th, 2016, 14:34
Dental things (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/threads/20387-Dental-things?highlight=wisdom+teeth)

word
April 14th, 2016, 16:54
I didn't go under for mine (in the US). They'd already popped, though, and really, were fine, but were crowding my other teeth (in hindsight I wish I'd found a way to keep them). I was dismayed to discover, after the fact, that my wisdom teeth were my favorite chewing teeth.

The most annoying thing was that I couldn't eat all the sh*t that I wanted to eat.

If you have a decent dentist, it would probably be fine to have it done here. I wouldn't hesitate; my dentist is all right. I've been pretty happy with most of the work he's done on me.

Fantasylife
April 14th, 2016, 19:02
My dentist here recommended I get mines out, but they've never bothered me so they're staying in. I never had a dentist mention it back in the states.

sourdoughsushi
April 15th, 2016, 09:03
I had an impacted wisdom tooth on the bottom row removed in 2 stages last year. They wanted to preserve the nerves, so they knocked out half of it and let the rest work it's way up over time...then cut me open again and yanked/broke the rest out.

The scariest part was looking up and seeing them with a mallet raised over my face, ready to strike. But if you can manage that anxiety and happen to not have insurance in your home country, I'd say go for it. No, I wasn't given any gas or put under and I was basically given Ibuprofen, but I was living alone and needed to be able to take care of myself, anyway. I paid around 1man overall, doing pretty well.

If your tooth isn't impacted you're likely to go through less trauma and a mixture of OTC pain meds is actually quite effective at treating pain granted you ice that mofo in the beginning. The price point outweighed the emotional scarring, and not taking opiates is always a good thing.

mothy
April 15th, 2016, 10:02
not taking opiates is always a good thing.

Whaaaa? You're a boring person, sirdouglassushi.

Satori Shinobi
April 15th, 2016, 10:30
Whaaaa? You're a boring person, sirdouglassushi.

What mothy said.