PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Earthquake 2016 victims

Numerouno
April 16th, 2016, 18:18
As I'm sure most people here are aware Japan has been hit with two earthquakes in the last few days measuring 7.0 and 6.3 - leaving 29 dead and 1500 injured. This figure is expect

mothy
April 16th, 2016, 19:01
This should probably be moved out of applying and into the general Japan section.

word
April 16th, 2016, 20:49
This should probably be moved out of applying and into the general Japan section.

Good call.

Beer Baron
April 17th, 2016, 08:19
Hope all JETs are ok. Tragically, there have been a number of deaths reported. Please check in with people you know in the area to ensure they are safe. Thoughts are with those injured and killed :(

Shincantsen
April 18th, 2016, 23:57
From the information I have as of this morning (in Japan), of the 779 JETs in Kumamoto and surrounding prefectures, 588 have been confirmed as safe, 34 have been evacuated (but still safe and uninjured), and 47 are unconfirmed.

Beer Baron
April 19th, 2016, 01:21
Did facebook activate their safety check?

webstaa
April 19th, 2016, 08:20
Well, at least CLAIR is going to get their money's worth with that whole ATOK system they bought. So long as JETs have internet or phone they should be able to check in.

I didn't see anything about Facebook, but I'm on the other side of the country. Yahoo has their disaster relief stuff active though (for what that's worth.)

Ananasboat
April 19th, 2016, 09:18
Yeah, there's the safety check on Facebook, and everyone I know's checked it off. I heard from a friend that there are a lot of ALTs in shelters right now.

So, my question, I'm nearby and want to go in at some point to help clean up. Where and when would you guys suggest I do it?

Ini
April 19th, 2016, 09:35
Do you have any skills? First aid? Translation? Disaster response? Construction?
Do you have any resources? A truck full of drinking water? Blankets? Food?
If not then just donate some cash and hang back. The last thing people in shelters want are a bunch of slack jawed tourists getting in the way and high fiving each other about how awesome they are for giving up their Saturday mornings.

Ananasboat
April 19th, 2016, 10:15
I saw a newspaper article this morning how they're asking for unskilled people (yay me) to help with the clean up, because there are lots of destroyed houses needing to be cleaned up. I'm just wondering what direction I should look in.

GodInStrafeMode
April 19th, 2016, 13:37
Wow, I'm agreeing with Ini...

mrcharisma
April 20th, 2016, 02:24
I saw a newspaper article this morning how they're asking for unskilled people (yay me) to help with the clean up, because there are lots of destroyed houses needing to be cleaned up. I'm just wondering what direction I should look in.

Most of those unskilled people will be able to speak fluent Japanese and will be there for reasons other than self-congratulatory selfie potential. Leave it to them.

Ananasboat
April 20th, 2016, 07:06
Datto I want to help the savages!

Ini
April 20th, 2016, 07:32
If you really want to help then contact the Kumamoto city volunteer center (096-288-2748), turn up and fill in a questionnaire and then they will send you where you are needed based on your skill set. Don't just turn up with the AJET mutual masturbation goon squad or the Nigerian missionary church of Jesus Christ.

Frap
April 20th, 2016, 09:00
AJET mutual masturbation goon squad

Looool

uthinkimlost?
April 20th, 2016, 09:35
If you really want to help then contact the Kumamoto city volunteer center (096-288-2748), turn up and fill in a questionnaire and then they will send you where you are needed based on your skill set. Don't just turn up with the AJET mutual masturbation goon squad or the Nigerian missionary church of Jesus Christ.

Surely winning internet arguments is a highly-sought skill for volunteers.

Jiggit
April 20th, 2016, 14:43
Surely winning internet arguments is a highly-sought skill for volunteers.

Sure but what does that have to do with Ananasboat?

uthinkimlost?
April 20th, 2016, 14:54
Sure but what does that have to do with Ananasboat?

https://media.giphy.com/media/WuGSL4LFUMQU/giphy.gif

GodInStrafeMode
April 20th, 2016, 15:04
Kyushu's shaking again!

OatsCurrySummer
April 21st, 2016, 09:27
Kyushu's shaking again!
That one was in Yufuin, right? Goddamn, why didnt I just pay the extra twenty bucks for travel insurance, I just want to stay home for Golden Week now.

Ananasboat
April 21st, 2016, 10:22

Holy shit an actual answer. Someone get the smelling salts I'm about to faint.

GodInStrafeMode
April 22nd, 2016, 10:48
That one was in Yufuin, right? Goddamn, why didnt I just pay the extra twenty bucks for travel insurance, I just want to stay home for Golden Week now.

Central Oita it seems, but Yufuin looks like it's been hit pretty hard too :(