PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Applications: Placements Megathread

Frap
May 11th, 2016, 10:42
Use this thread for everything related to placements for the 16/17 incoming applications.

fryfry
May 11th, 2016, 11:11
tell me my placement now, pls.

edit: seriously. just make up one.

tobio
May 11th, 2016, 12:31
tell me my placement now, pls.

edit: seriously. just make up one.

Bonin Islands!

Frap
May 11th, 2016, 12:36
Where did you request?

mothy
May 11th, 2016, 12:46
Bonin Islands!

Most JETs consider all of Japan Bonin' Islands.

Jiggit
May 11th, 2016, 12:47
Ayyyyyyy

fryfry
May 11th, 2016, 13:27
this thread is already off to a bontiful start.

Frap: oh, a bunch of places in the West. Tsuwano, Kagoshima, Tokushima.

Mega
May 12th, 2016, 12:26
The anticipation is killing me. Hoping that us in the U.S. hear this week or next week, but I wouldn't get my hopes up so high in case it doesn't happen.

Gizmotech
May 12th, 2016, 12:34
remember, just because placements go out, it doesn't mean that everyone will actually know where they are going. If you are lucky and get stuck working for a prefecture SHS, you will likely get a mail like Buttfucknowhere-ken, buttfucknowhere, rather than buttfucknowhere-ken,morebuttfucknowhere-shi,irrelevent-inbred-inaka-jhs-4

acpc2203
May 12th, 2016, 12:48
Hey I work at that jhs!

fryfry
May 12th, 2016, 13:27
remember, just because placements go out, it doesn't mean that everyone will actually know where they are going. If you are lucky and get stuck working for a prefecture SHS, you will likely get a mail like Buttfucknowhere-ken, buttfucknowhere, rather than buttfucknowhere-ken,morebuttfucknowhere-shi,irrelevent-inbred-inaka-jhs-4
I'm looking forward to finding out what the equivalent of Toadsuck, Arkansas is. An actual town, in case you didn't know.

acpc2203
May 12th, 2016, 13:33
I'm looking forward to finding out what the equivalent of Toadsuck, Arkansas is. An actual town, in case you didn't know.
I'm sure it is in Tottori.

Frap
May 12th, 2016, 14:15
raunch

TachikawaTruffle
May 12th, 2016, 21:26
I'm sure it is in Tottori.
My actual placement request. I crunched the odds, and it seems like they should have 10 slots, and 18 placement requests-ish.

Fingers crossed?

Ananasboat
May 13th, 2016, 16:25
As a district rep in an area with awful people, I'm eagerly trolling this thread to see if you're worth my time when you get here.

acpc2203
May 14th, 2016, 14:32
My actual placement request. I crunched the odds, and it seems like they should have 10 slots, and 18 placement requests-ish.

Fingers crossed?
There should be about 30ish slots open this year for ALTs, don't know why anyone would want to come to Tottori though.

jetting?
May 16th, 2016, 00:28
Anyone have the stats on Tokyo positions available?

webstaa
May 16th, 2016, 08:11
Anyone have the stats on Tokyo positions available?

If the statistics that CLAIR push out every year, then it'll be around 50-100. There's already supposedly 200 JET ALTs in Tokyo, with 1/4 leaving after one year, and they're still adding more IIRC.

Tomcat666
May 16th, 2016, 09:25
It's in the neighborhood of 100, give or take a little.

saikick
May 16th, 2016, 09:29
There should be about 30ish slots open this year for ALTs, don't know why anyone would want to come to Tottori though.

I'm still in Tottori and I love it here.

:|

LilMitsuko
May 16th, 2016, 15:37

Yeah, there's a lot of room for new ALTs in Tottori. I'm one of the ones who's leaving, but I'm anxious to know who's coming to replace me. :] Anyone know what day they should get to Japan (for Tokyo orientation) and to their placements this year?

fryfry
May 17th, 2016, 01:54
The timetable I was sent specified July 30 as the departure date. I believe July 31 was the orientation date? I think I'm in Group B.

Mega
May 17th, 2016, 02:48
I'm Group A and I leave July 22. Tokyo orientation from the 23-25, I believe, then off to our placements! Wherever that will be.

fryfry
May 17th, 2016, 03:35
hahaha... Megathread.

DornishFox
May 17th, 2016, 03:51
I didn't make any placement requests so I'm just hanging on to see where I'll end up.

Ogasawara looks beautiful though tbh. Seems like it'd be a once in a lifetime chance to live there sans the 25 hours to get to the mainland.

I'm just hoping to not get a placement with a clause against keeping pets written into the contract a la Hyogo.

fryfry
May 17th, 2016, 04:05
I didn't make any placement requests so I'm just hanging on to see where I'll end up.

Ogasawara looks beautiful though tbh. Seems like it'd be a once in a lifetime chance to live there sans the 25 hours to get to the mainland.

I'm just hoping to not get a placement with a clause against keeping pets written into the contract a la Hyogo.
ooh, looks exotic. To be honest, I never considered a placement request outside of the main islands. My requests were from either passing familiarity through studies, or flippant research I did during the app process. :P

But now the the application process is complete, I find myself actually wanting to go to one of my requests, Tsuwano, more and more.

KyMLS
May 17th, 2016, 05:09
I keep imagining my life in various pretty looking places as I stumble upon pictures of different towns and have to remind myself that I still don't know where I'm going to be living. It's driving me absolutely insane. So many stress dreams. So much refreshing of e-mails. Hurry up with the information!

LilMitsuko
May 17th, 2016, 08:17
I'm Group A and I leave July 22. Tokyo orientation from the 23-25, I believe, then off to our placements! Wherever that will be.

Oh, really? That's even better. I desperately wanted to stay to meet and help out my successor, but was worried I'd be missing them because of how early I'm going home. If that's when you guys head off to your placements, though, that works out great (provided my person is in group A)! :D Thanks a ton!

combjelly
May 18th, 2016, 12:53
Tokyo orientation from the 23-25
The Australian Embassy of Japan has listed July 24th as Arrival in Japan (we must all be Group A?), maybe this was a rough estimate?

Mega
May 18th, 2016, 13:59
The Australian Embassy of Japan has listed July 24th as Arrival in Japan (we must all be Group A?), maybe this was a rough estimate?

I remembered the wrong date. We leave on the 23, and arrive in Japan on the 24th (because yay 15 hour time difference). So I guess we are in the same group. I was curious how orientation worked for other countries!

weepinbell
May 18th, 2016, 15:56
Holy shit, you guys get here that early this year? When's group B? I'll be at back in America while the new JETs are occupied with keeping up appearances for the first week or so.... let's hope y'all reveal your true, shitty selves by the time I'm back....

OatsCurrySummer
May 18th, 2016, 16:56
Feel free to DM me if any of you get placed in Okinawa. The JETs here are super tight (raunch) and I want to know which of you will be replacing the amazing people that are leaving in August.

TachikawaTruffle
May 19th, 2016, 00:36
I'm still in Tottori and I love it here.
How are the winters? I applied after visiting it on a lark in the summer.

fryfry
May 19th, 2016, 04:53
just got my invitation to the June JETAA Orientation/Q&A/seminar/optional lunch/orgy thingy. My coordinator says placement info will be in soon.

KyMLS
May 19th, 2016, 05:59
just got my invitation to the June JETAA Orientation/Q&A/seminar/optional lunch/orgy thingy. My coordinator says placement info will be in soon.

I know in reality they probably can't give us an accurate date estimate, but man, "soon" could be tomorrow or two weeks from tomorrow. Trying so hard to remain chill.

tobio
May 19th, 2016, 06:18
I need the Americans to find out their placements so that I know I have to wait about a week after that to get mine LOL

fryfry
May 19th, 2016, 06:46
I know in reality they probably can't give us an accurate date estimate, but man, "soon" could be tomorrow or two weeks from tomorrow. Trying so hard to remain chill.

Yeah, "soon" basically means "I don't know yet". But, hey, we were given a time-table (which coordinators are presumably at the mercy of too), and it seems to be one that JET sticks to very well.

ThroneofBlood
May 19th, 2016, 08:41
I need the Americans to find out their placements so that I know I have to wait about a week after that to get mine LOL

Haha, same. So much for the date of notification matching previous years'.

saikick
May 19th, 2016, 08:44
How are the winters? I applied after visiting it on a lark in the summer.
It's f*ing cold...in school.

weepinbell
May 19th, 2016, 11:44
It's f*ing cold...in school.

lol yeah it's gonna be about 10 degrees colder in the actual school than it is outside get excited.

mothy
May 19th, 2016, 11:52
That's every school in Japan during winter, not just Tottori.

Frap
May 19th, 2016, 11:55
That's every school in Japan during winter, not just Tottori.

I wish :l

weepinbell
May 19th, 2016, 12:58
Girl I know I ain't in Tottori. Why would u wish that.......................

Frap
May 19th, 2016, 13:11
No, I mean I wish my school was cold during the winter!

weepinbell
May 19th, 2016, 14:10
Yea, why would you wish for a cold school?!?

acpc2203
May 19th, 2016, 14:46
He needs the cold to cool down his loins

Isola
May 19th, 2016, 15:13
A typical winter day in Hokkaido.
Outside: -20
Classroom: 25
Teacher's Room: 35
Hallway: 0
Dress appropriately.

Jiggit
May 19th, 2016, 15:20
Wyrd.

Frap
May 19th, 2016, 15:21
Dress appropriately.

ikr

uthinkimlost?
May 19th, 2016, 15:46
Restroom: -10
Toilet seat: 300
Dress appropriately.

Omissions fixed.

Frap
May 19th, 2016, 16:23
Omissions fixed.

I love the cold toilet. I go there to air my testicles after a morning in the teacher's room.

Jiggit
May 19th, 2016, 16:38
Omg me 2

fryfry
May 20th, 2016, 03:02
Just found out.
Nagasaki ken
Shimabara shi.

excited enough to have to pee, hope that feeling doesn't wear out in the coming months. Of course, I guess I'll have to pee often in that case.
Hoping to meet my pred soon.

Gizmotech
May 20th, 2016, 06:20
My buddy used to live there. Nice place.

ThroneofBlood
May 20th, 2016, 06:54
Sendai-shi! Looking forward to catching some Eagles games!

JPNLKatie
May 20th, 2016, 06:55
I got my placement Today!!!

Shiga-ken
Nagahama-shi

I'm super happy about it.

Shincantsen
May 20th, 2016, 06:56
I got my placement Today!!!

Shiga-ken
Nagahama-shi

I'm super happy about it.

:D

My placement back in the olden days! It's one of the best ones in Japan.

JPNLKatie
May 20th, 2016, 06:59
:D

My placement back in the olden days! It's one of the best ones in Japan.

Oh!! That's great to hear! Can you tell me a little about it? Also, how did you commute to work?

Ananasboat
May 20th, 2016, 07:09
Just found out.
Nagasaki ken
Shimabara shi.

excited enough to have to pee, hope that feeling doesn't wear out in the coming months. Of course, I guess I'll have to pee often in that case.
Hoping to meet my pred soon.

Oi let's chill.

Shincantsen
May 20th, 2016, 07:15
Oh!! That's great to hear! Can you tell me a little about it? Also, how did you commute to work?

City placement means you'll either be full time Elementary or Jr High. It's one of the rare cities where English is taught in ES grades 1-6. There are a few schools in Nagahama that have two ALTs because they're so big.

Soon after I got there Nagahama annexed some other smaller cities, so you may actually be more out in the country a couple of train stops away. It's really beautiful up there.

Pretty much everyone in Nagahama biked everywhere - there were a couple people whose schools were quite far away (20 min bike ride +), so eventually they figured out it would be more comfortable for them to get a car, but not 100% necessary. From my apartment I biked about 10 minutes to work, and could bike to the Nagahama train station in 20 minutes or less.

Nagahama (at least in 2011, when I left), has quite a few large grocery stores, a Seiyu (Japanese WalMart that has a Muji and Uniqlo inside), a McDonalds, pretty much anything you'd ever need. There are a LOT of JETs in the city, so it's not hard to make English-speaking friends, if that's your jam.

From Nagahama station, you can get to Maibara (a shinkansen stop) in 15 minutes, Kyoto in an hour, and Osaka in an hour and a half without switching trains.

Congrats on the wonderful placement! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Ini
May 20th, 2016, 07:32
ES English for grades 1-6 isnt that rare these days.... More and more places are starting it at preschool as well and starting this year public yochiens are opening up to 3 year olds so you might have the pleasure of trying to teach the past participle to toddlers who consider it a good day if they make it till 2pm without shitting themselves.

Ebi
May 20th, 2016, 07:47
Sendai-shi! Looking forward to catching some Eagles games!
Hey, someone excited about going to Tohoku for once! Have you been there before?

Mega
May 20th, 2016, 07:50
Seems I am going to Hiroshima-ken. Prefectural ALT though, so I'll have to wait to know the city!

Ini
May 20th, 2016, 07:51
hey, someone is a glutton for punishment if this season is anything to go by.

bludbeard
May 20th, 2016, 08:01
Miyazaki-ken, Nichinan-shi here. Opposite end of the country than I was expecting but from the photos it looks beautiful and the people I've contacted already seem very nice so I'm looking forward to working with them.

fryfry
May 20th, 2016, 08:09
Oi let's chill. too late, sorry. already ultra prideful about my city. looking up the flag and stuff.

JPNLKatie
May 20th, 2016, 08:13
City placement means you'll either be full time Elementary or Jr High. It's one of the rare cities where English is taught in ES grades 1-6. There are a few schools in Nagahama that have two ALTs because they're so big.

Soon after I got there Nagahama annexed some other smaller cities, so you may actually be more out in the country a couple of train stops away. It's really beautiful up there.

Pretty much everyone in Nagahama biked everywhere - there were a couple people whose schools were quite far away (20 min bike ride +), so eventually they figured out it would be more comfortable for them to get a car, but not 100% necessary. From my apartment I biked about 10 minutes to work, and could bike to the Nagahama train station in 20 minutes or less.

Nagahama (at least in 2011, when I left), has quite a few large grocery stores, a Seiyu (Japanese WalMart that has a Muji and Uniqlo inside), a McDonalds, pretty much anything you'd ever need. There are a LOT of JETs in the city, so it's not hard to make English-speaking friends, if that's your jam.

From Nagahama station, you can get to Maibara (a shinkansen stop) in 15 minutes, Kyoto in an hour, and Osaka in an hour and a half without switching trains.

Congrats on the wonderful placement! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Oh my goodness!! This is exactly the kind of placement I was hoping for! I'm actually hoping I'll get placed in a Elementary full time, and I'm glad I won't need to get a car. I also love that I'm close enough to Kyoto and other major cities that won't break the bank getting there, or waste half the day commuting (or having to get a hotel).

Thank you for all this information. I will definitely contact you if I have any more specific questions.

Thank you again!

Ananasboat
May 20th, 2016, 08:22
too late, sorry. already ultra prideful about my city. looking up the flag and stuff.

My town's flag is cooler. I promise.

I know AJET gets a bad rep here but block 10 is pretty friendly. Nagasaki always has the best parties.

Crush-destroy
May 20th, 2016, 08:24

I got placed in Nagahama, too. That sounds like an awesome place to be and I'm even more excited after reading your post. Thanks!

fryfry
May 20th, 2016, 08:30
My town's flag is cooler. I promise.

I know AJET gets a bad rep here but block 10 is pretty friendly. Nagasaki always has the best parties.

One thing I've noticed: no prefectural website, and JET online resources for the area seem scarce. Don't know if that's on AJET or not. The most word-of-mouth I've seen so far is an old ITIL thread I might resurrect.

I'll look forward to those parties, and nice to know someone in the area. I might have questions for you later.

tobio
May 20th, 2016, 09:14
fukushima-shi waddup

time to get a million radiation comments from family

Ini
May 20th, 2016, 09:33
Fukushima-shi is so boring it hasn't even got radiation to make it interesting.

BabyKing
May 20th, 2016, 09:34
I got Shizuoka-ken, Shizuoka! Super stoked! I guess I'm a prefectural JET? If anyone has any advice on Shizuoka gimme gimme gimme! Google doesn't have much info!

Ananasboat
May 20th, 2016, 10:05
One thing I've noticed: no prefectural website, and JET online resources for the area seem scarce. Don't know if that's on AJET or not. The most word-of-mouth I've seen so far is an old ITIL thread I might resurrect.

I'll look forward to those parties, and nice to know someone in the area. I might have questions for you later.

The Saga-jet page is, ironically, way more full of useful information.

For such a useless prefecture, they've got their internet situation figured out.

moonbeam
May 20th, 2016, 10:27
Fukushima-shi is so boring it hasn't even got radiation to make it interesting.

This is true. No one voluntarily goes there for fun.

fryfry
May 20th, 2016, 10:52
fukushima-shi waddup

time to get a million radiation comments from family
I felt the same way about the Kumamoto quake this year.

I mean, fuck those guy's problems; I'm the one trying to convince the fam it's safe to go on JET.

Ananasboat
May 20th, 2016, 11:05
Tell them there's not likely to be another big earthquake like that in the area for another 40 years.

DornishFox
May 20th, 2016, 11:11
Kyoto-fu, Joyo-shi

Was not expecting Kansai and I've only spent a week in the area but it's in a great location if Google Earth is anything to go by.

fryfry
May 20th, 2016, 11:16
yeah, and it's actually my current locale that's holding its breath for the big one.

jetting?
May 20th, 2016, 11:31
Tokyo. My contracting organization itself? So I guess private school?

teabot
May 20th, 2016, 11:34
I got Shizuoka-ken, Shizuoka! Super stoked! I guess I'm a prefectural JET? If anyone has any advice on Shizuoka gimme gimme gimme! Google doesn't have much info!

nope, that's a municipal placement (Shizuoka-shi). there's a bunch of us leaving, so let's talk.

JPNLKatie
May 20th, 2016, 12:03
I got placed in Nagahama, too. That sounds like an awesome place to be and I'm even more excited after reading your post. Thanks!

Oh! A fellow Nagahama JET! Maybe we'll be able to meet and hang out along with the other JETs in the area after we get settled.

Where are you from? I'm from Virginia, USA.

ThroneofBlood
May 20th, 2016, 12:45
Hey, someone excited about going to Tohoku for once! Have you been there before?

No, unfortunately I haven't. But I've heard a lot about it from friends who've been. Pretty much the best placement for me. Are you in Sendai?

ChasingTheSun
May 20th, 2016, 13:10
Miyazaki-ken, Nichinan-shi here. Opposite end of the country than I was expecting but from the photos it looks beautiful and the people I've contacted already seem very nice so I'm looking forward to working with them.

Welcome to Miyazaki! Nichinan is one of my favorite places in the prefecture and it is a pretty interenationally-minded city compared to the rest of Miyazaki. It's absolutely beautiful down there.

Ebi
May 20th, 2016, 13:27
No, unfortunately I haven't. But I've heard a lot about it from friends who've been. Pretty much the best placement for me. Are you in Sendai?
I've spent a lot of time in Sendai. It's a nice place! But usually people aren't very keen about being placed in Tohoku which is why I asked. Was it one of your preferences?

Also, if you haven't seen it, the JET Sendai (www.jetsendai.com) website is a good resource for newbies.

naginataonthebrain
May 20th, 2016, 17:49
Welcome to Miyazaki! Nichinan is one of my favorite places in the prefecture and it is a pretty interenationally-minded city compared to the rest of Miyazaki. It's absolutely beautiful down there.

AHAHA my neck of the woods. If this is who I think it is, I've already contacted you on other social media platforms. HA. Apparently Nichinan is a lighting rod for ITIL folk.

Phifo
May 20th, 2016, 22:28
Heading to Kobe city! I've heard the community there is pretty densely populated and tight-knit. Anyone here in Kobe/Hyogo at the moment?

jaejoa
May 21st, 2016, 03:11
Heading to Kobe city! I've heard the community there is pretty densely populated and tight-knit. Anyone here in Kobe/Hyogo at the moment?
I've never been there but I live with exchange students from Hyogo. :) Everyone I know loves Hyogo.

ThroneofBlood
May 21st, 2016, 04:48
I've spent a lot of time in Sendai. It's a nice place! But usually people aren't very keen about being placed in Tohoku which is why I asked. Was it one of your preferences?

Also, if you haven't seen it, the JET Sendai (http://www.jetsendai.com) website is a good resource for newbies.

Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to read it over. I didn't request it, but was hoping for a placement exactly like it.

I'm not sure about why people wouldn't want to be up there (maybe because it's cold or fear stemming from 3/11), but to each their own. The more I'm reading about it now, the more I'm asking myself why I didn't put it down as a placement request lol! Any more info about Sendai/Miyagi and your time there would be greatly appreciated!

Ini
May 21st, 2016, 05:10
I'm not sure about why people wouldn't want to be up there

The girls in tohoku tend to be shorter and chunkier. If fat dwarfs don't do it for you then Sendai isn't the place for you.

fryfry
May 21st, 2016, 05:27
The girls in tohoku tend to be shorter and chunkier. If fat dwarfs don't do it for you then Sendai isn't the place for you.
I'm kinda wondering why my placement didn't receive any disparaging comments.
I wish they all could be Nagasaki giiiiiiiirls....
Beach boys cover band, here I come.

ThroneofBlood
May 21st, 2016, 08:02

Lol. Maybe the litany of colleges in Sendai will have some foreign, non fat-dwarf types. If not, I'm sure CLAIR will let me transfer based on that.

Ebi
May 21st, 2016, 08:34
Any more info about Sendai/Miyagi and your time there would be greatly appreciated!
Well, if you have any specific questions I might be able to help. I'm not really sure what else you want to know.

But you're right that there are a lot of young people from outside Sendai in the city for university. A lot of those universities hold international parties and events throughout the year too. I didn't take notice of the women, but there were a lot of tall guys from Scandinavia/Finland~

Fantasylife
May 21st, 2016, 09:25
Seems I am going to Hiroshima-ken. Prefectural ALT though, so I'll have to wait to know the city!

Maybe you'll be my successor :O

But it's a great prefecture. I'm going to miss it.

setyoursightsnorth
May 21st, 2016, 10:12
I also got placed in Sendai-Shi! I'm kinda bummed that I didn't get Nara, but it'll be fun! For those of you that have lived in Sendai, how is it? How is Miyagi Prefecture? Any information will help! I'm still in that initial disappointment phase and the websites that I've visited don't really paint it as a very interesting place.

Ananasboat
May 21st, 2016, 11:20
I'm kinda wondering why my placement didn't receive any disparaging comments.
I wish they all could be Nagasaki giiiiiiiirls....
Beach boys cover band, here I come.

If you're white everyone will think you're in the Navy.

mothy
May 21st, 2016, 11:22
Tokyo. My contracting organization itself? So I guess private school?

By itself do you mean the school? If so, then in all likelihood, yes. A private school. Which could be good or could be bad, depending on the school.

fryfry
May 21st, 2016, 11:54
If you're white everyone will think you're in the Navy.
so, we can also cover The Village People. we could get a regular gig on the ferries across the bay.

Actually, I do have a question... given the locale, do you know the likelihood I'll need a car?

Ebi
May 21st, 2016, 14:32
I also got placed in Sendai-Shi! I'm kinda bummed that I didn't get Nara, but it'll be fun! For those of you that have lived in Sendai, how is it? How is Miyagi Prefecture? Any information will help! I'm still in that initial disappointment phase and the websites that I've visited don't really paint it as a very interesting place.
If you're looking at it as a tourist, then Sendai definitely isn't that interesting of a place. But I would argue it's one of the better placements to get. If you're placed in the city proper, then you don't need a car to get around since the city has a good network of bus, subway, and train routes. You can get around easily by bicycle depending on where you live too.

The city has pretty much anything you might want/need save for a Greek restaurant (let me know if you find one). There are a lot of restaurants by the way, so many that you could never visit them all. I've heard the nightlife is so-so since there are only a handful of "clubs", but there no shortage of bars and izakaya.

The downtown area has long covered shopping streets, department stores and malls. You have to go away from downtown to get to the big box stores, but there are plenty of those too, including an Ikea and a Costco one town over.

The JET community itself has about 70 ALTs I think in Sendai and maybe 50 spread around Miyagi. (Not sure on the exact numbers.) The Sendai JETs are usually based at a single JHS and the Miyagi ones visit a bunch. There are Interac ALTs at the high schools and private contract ALTs at the various private schools. And like BloodThrone mentioned there are a lot of universities with international students from all over the world. It's not a place where you get stared at much and there are a lot of support programs for foreigners if you need it.

If you have any specific concerns I might be able to help, but I think I'd sum up Sendai as "an easy place to live".

mrcharisma
May 21st, 2016, 18:33
so, we can also cover The Village People. we could get a regular gig on the ferries across the bay.

Actually, I do have a question... given the locale, do you know the likelihood I'll need a car?

You won't "need" one exactly if you're in Nagasaki city, but life will be easier and more enjoyable with one.

cassual
May 22nd, 2016, 04:42
Nagasaki-ken, prefectural ALT. Waiting on the city.

fryfry
May 22nd, 2016, 05:06
cool. I'm going to be in Shimabara, hope to meet ya. Nagasaki spans a few big islands so your prospects seem pretty varied for now.

cassual
May 22nd, 2016, 23:42
Hope to meet you too! Hopefully the city I'm placed in is somewhere decent. I don't know much about this prefecture. Time to research.

TachikawaTruffle
May 24th, 2016, 01:19
Tottori-Ken. There appear to be both beaches and mountains. Okay.

fryfry
May 24th, 2016, 05:33
So, apparently there's an often visited but scarcely official sight-seeing tour in my new city: buried houses from the 1991 pyroclastic flow of Mt. Unzen. Creepy.
http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//f/f7/ShimabaraPyroFlow.JPG

acpc2203
May 24th, 2016, 08:46
How did you edit your post in 1985?

acpc2203
May 24th, 2016, 08:47
Kotoura-Cho, Tottori-Ken. Jazzed to be in a nice area!
I heard there is a 7 11 there.

LilMitsuko
May 24th, 2016, 08:51

Not in Kotoura. But we do have some in Tottori-ken now. Along with a Starbucks (in Tottori-shi). lol

mothy
May 24th, 2016, 08:54

Warging probably.

Frap
May 24th, 2016, 08:55

LOL

fryfry
May 24th, 2016, 09:14

it's my sig.

acpc2203
May 24th, 2016, 09:16
Not in Kotoura. But we do have some in Tottori-ken now. Along with a Starbucks (in Tottori-shi). lol
Ah maybe they are still building it then, I did hear someone was talking about a 711 there.

acpc2203
May 24th, 2016, 09:17
it's my sig.
It twas a ruse

TachikawaTruffle
May 24th, 2016, 09:21
TWO Lawson's, a Daiso and a Can Do (If Google Street-view is to be believed). And a Uniqlo only 20min by train away.

acpc2203
May 24th, 2016, 09:25
Yeah Kurayoshi has pretty much anything you would need shopping wise. Though Yonago is the only place that shows movies not dubbed into Japanese I think.

Frap
May 24th, 2016, 09:46
It twas a ruse

lol how embarrassing

acpc2203
May 24th, 2016, 09:50
lol how embarrassing
Literally crying at work right now

fryfry
May 24th, 2016, 09:53
it was so obvious.
gawd I am so internet-savvy.

Frap
May 24th, 2016, 09:58
Literally crying at work right now

it fooled me as well tbh dw

acpc2203
May 24th, 2016, 10:08
Makes feel better that I wasn't the only one rused

thecaptaincooper
May 24th, 2016, 10:20
Prefectural Miyazaki - seems like it'll be beautiful. Not sure how I'll handle the climate difference (my cold, long winters are over) but eager to learn more about where I'll be placed. At this point, I'm assuming some total backwoods inaka. Should be fun.

mothy
May 24th, 2016, 10:38
TWO Lawson's, a Daiso and a Can Do (If Google Street-view is to be believed). And a Uniqlo only 20min by train away.

Edit: It also all seems pretty walkable or bikeable, which is a plus. Many of the schools are closer together than my university parking lot was to my classes.

Lawson's is superior anyway.

fryfry
May 24th, 2016, 10:44
Makes feel better that I wasn't the only one rused

eh it's a pretty dumb sig. it loses it's purpose the instant I have to edit something, which is practically always.

saikick
May 24th, 2016, 11:33
Ah maybe they are still building it then, I did hear someone was talking about a 711 there.
The 7/11 is located in Yonagi-shi, Tottori.
There are rumours that a) 7/11 will come to Tottori station and b) we're getting a Don Quijote.

thao181
May 24th, 2016, 19:03
Hello all, Melbourne JETer here, I just found out that I will be heading to Nagano. Anybody else out there? :)

KyMLS
May 24th, 2016, 22:08
Found out yesterday that I'll be moving to Miyazaki-ken! I know very little about this area as it's not even a place that popped up on my radar. However, my husband and I really wanted to live somewhere with farmland, beautiful mountains, and not a lot of people--It seems that the powers that be at JET have done well with their selection. Also really stoked about the mythology of the area.

Any tips? I heard the bugs are big--not something I asked for in my placement request.

LilMitsuko
May 24th, 2016, 22:28

Edit: It also all seems pretty walkable or bikeable, which is a plus. Many of the schools are closer together than my university parking lot was to my classes.

Haha, the UNIQLO is in Yonago, but it takes about 40 min to get there by train (unless you catch the rapid), and you definitely need a car to get to it. There's Popura in Kotoura, some Lawsons, too, yeah. All the schools in the area require a car to get to, though (one is literally up at the very base of a mountain).

mrcharisma
May 25th, 2016, 00:29
unless you catch the rapid

Jesus Christ they're not even off the boat yet, don't encourage them to take up the penny-pinching student lifestyle some Jets choose to endure.

What next, recommend they sneak their own tins of Chu-Hi into the karaoke?

fryfry
May 25th, 2016, 00:35
Found out yesterday that I'll be moving to Miyazaki-ken! I know very little about this area as it's not even a place that popped up on my radar. However, my husband and I really wanted to live somewhere with farmland, beautiful mountains, and not a lot of people--It seems that the powers that be at JET have done well with their selection. Also really stoked about the mythology of the area.

Any tips? I heard the bugs are big--not something I asked for in my placement request.cool! I'll be moving to Shimabara; not too close, but it's cool noticing other people moving to Kyushu, at least. ^^

LilMitsuko
May 25th, 2016, 07:05
Jesus Christ they're not even off the boat yet, don't encourage them to take up the penny-pinching student lifestyle some Jets choose to endure.

The rapid costs the same as the regular train...it just comes at different (maybe not-so-useful) times, and it's not as frequent. I wasn't talking about the limited express trains (which you couldn't really do from Kotoura to Yonago anyway).

I wasn't at all encouraging anyone to "penny-pinch;" I was just stating the facts about the placement.

TachikawaTruffle
May 25th, 2016, 07:15
It looks like there is one in Kurayoshi as well, just a short walk from the JR station (http://frsp.mapion.co.jp/b/uniqlo_taxfree/)

LilMitsuko
May 25th, 2016, 07:26
It looks like there is one in Kurayoshi as well, just a short walk from the JR station (http://frsp.mapion.co.jp/b/uniqlo_taxfree/)

Ohhh! That one I didn't know about! I don't remember seeing one...I wonder where it is. That would be so much nicer than heading into Yonago all the time.

saikick
May 25th, 2016, 13:18

I'd rather bring 4 cans of my own chu-hi than pay 480 yen for a glass of watered down pos.
I don't know about other karaoke boxes in Japan, but some of the ones here in Tottori let you byod, so why not take advantage of it?

Jiggit
May 25th, 2016, 13:30
I'd rather bring 4 cans of my own chu-hi than pay 480 yen for a glass of watered down pos.
I don't know about other karaoke boxes in Japan, but some of the ones here in Tottori let you byod, so why not take advantage of it?

http://i.imgur.com/XY4Mn.gif

acpc2203
May 25th, 2016, 13:45
I can't believe there are "people" who don't get blackout drunk pregaming before heading to the bar where they spend a minimum of 2 man on drinks.

Frap
May 25th, 2016, 13:47
I can't believe there are "people" who don't get blackout drunk pregaming before heading to the bar where they spend a minimum of 2 man on drinks.

And what is it with people wanting to go to a club at like 9pm?! I've never met as many people who don't understand that we'd be basically sitting in a practically empty place for 2 hours.

acpc2203
May 25th, 2016, 13:49
And what is it with people wanting to go to a club at like 9pm?! I've never met as many people who don't understand that we'd be basically sitting in a practically empty place for 2 hours.
Well they are JETs, I'm pretty sure they were not allowed in clubs in their home country.

mothy
May 25th, 2016, 14:15

If it allows it, sure. But sneaking in chu-hais is low class.

Says the guy who usually sneaks in a bottle of vodka to add to the karaoke box's weakass drinks.

Jiggit
May 25th, 2016, 14:45
Only weebs drink chu-hai.

Ini
May 25th, 2016, 14:56
Only weebs go to karaoke

acpc2203
May 25th, 2016, 15:05
I concur

mothy
May 25th, 2016, 16:53
Only weebs go to karaoke

No, also drunks trying to pretend they're 15 years younger than they are.

mrcharisma
May 25th, 2016, 17:01

I bet the NHK guy loves coming to yours.

Note the word "sneak" in my comment, I obviously wasn't referring to anywhere that was byod.

WhiteFang
May 26th, 2016, 02:00
I got upgraded! ^^ Now waiting for placement!

TachikawaTruffle
May 26th, 2016, 04:24
Yeah no thanks to that. I'm looking to buy a kayak after arrival.

Frap
May 26th, 2016, 08:36

Congratulations!

missshin
May 26th, 2016, 08:36
Hey there!

I heard you are coming to Kotoura-cho! Congratulations!

You'll be replacing either myself in Akasaki or the guy who lives in Urayasu. If you have any questions or want to talk about life in Kotoura-cho feel free to message me.

acpc2203
May 26th, 2016, 08:40
Congratulations!
Congratulations on your congratulations!

ChasingTheSun
May 26th, 2016, 15:59

Any tips? I heard the bugs are big--not something I asked for in my placement request.

Hey! Welcome to the Jurassic Park of Japan. Our bugs are big, our summers are swampy, but we have the best beaches in the country.* Depending on where you end up, you might be in a really rural area, but the majority of our ALTs are in moderately "urban" areas. I would say that 80% live in urban areas and the remaining few live in the mountains. There are still plenty of farms, even in the more urban areas, though, so at least there is that.

*This is a completely un-biased statement and should definitely be taken as fact.

KyMLS
May 26th, 2016, 23:08
Hey! Welcome to the Jurassic Park of Japan. Our bugs are big, our summers are swampy, but we have the best beaches in the country.* Depending on where you end up, you might be in a really rural area, but the majority of our ALTs are in moderately "urban" areas. I would say that 80% live in urban areas and the remaining few live in the mountains. There are still plenty of farms, even in the more urban areas, though, so at least there is that.

*This is a completely un-biased statement and should definitely be taken as fact.

Any pattern to where prefectural JETs are placed (urban-ish vs rural)? How are the winters? I'm planning to bring my regular winter clothes that get me through a Kentucky winter adequately, I'm assuming Miyazaki will be pretty moderate in the winter.

I'm going to have to adjust to the size of bugs. My husband is a defender of all creepy-crawlies and refuses to allow me to commit bugacide. I definitely have a size limit as far as what I can tolerate in the house. I'll have to get him a net so he can rescue them from my rolled up magazine of death.

mothy
May 26th, 2016, 23:15
Miyazaki winters should be significantly warmer than Kentucky's.

ChasingTheSun
May 27th, 2016, 06:08
Any pattern to where prefectural JETs are placed (urban-ish vs rural)? How are the winters? I'm planning to bring my regular winter clothes that get me through a Kentucky winter adequately, I'm assuming Miyazaki will be pretty moderate in the winter.

I'm going to have to adjust to the size of bugs. My husband is a defender of all creepy-crawlies and refuses to allow me to commit bugacide. I definitely have a size limit as far as what I can tolerate in the house. I'll have to get him a net so he can rescue them from my rolled up magazine of death.

It typically is directly related to your Japanese level. If you have decent Japanese and you said you were willing to drive, you might be placed in a more rural area. Actually, most of our rural ALTs are leaving this year, so there are a lot of rural positions open. However, there are always cases of someone who speaks 0 Japanese getting a rural placement and then blowing everyone away with how quickly they become conversational out of necessity. As for the winters, where you are will determine how bad it is. In the mountains there is snow and maybe negative temperatures, but I'm not sure about that. On the coast, where I live, I think the low was around 32 F/ 0 C. But it was a record cold year, I think. We had a lot of pipe-freezing problems. When it comes to clothes, remember that your school might not have heat. Mine doesn't. With the exception of my coat, I have thicker winter clothes (and more layers) here than I ever needed in Iowa or Missouri. Stuff like underarmor coldgear is your friend, but you can get similar stuff here at uniqlo.

For bugs your two main concerns will probably be huntsman spiders and mukade. I don't know how to defend against huntsmen (because thankfully I never had to deal with them), but they are harmless and if you can get over their size, they will actually help defend your apartment from the real threat: mukade. Thankfully, mukade are only a problem in the warmer months, typically, and there are lots of products out there to help you deal with them.

uthinkimlost?
May 27th, 2016, 08:05

Unless you're super big, you'll be able to get winter clothes here. Don't waste the space.

KyMLS
May 27th, 2016, 22:14
Unless you're super big, you'll be able to get winter clothes here. Don't waste the space.

Ah, we don't really have that much stuff to bring so I'm not worried about fitting my coat in a suitcase. We also lucked out because prior to learning we were joining JET my mother was already planning to attend a conference in Japan in August, so she'll be using her checked luggage to bring our winter stuff and anything we forgot. The only thing I'm really worried about is bringing enough shoes for my giant Peggy Hill feet.

darfurorphan
May 29th, 2016, 04:19
Got placed in Nara-ken. That's good, right? I think that's good.

weepinbell
May 30th, 2016, 08:41

Nara is inaka af unless you're in the city. But it's close enough to everything else in Kansai so you're prob good. If you're all the way out in southern Nara then you're still like 3 hrs away from Kyoto and Osaka though.

Virgil
May 30th, 2016, 10:40

Still trying to figure out if anyone on here got my placement.
It will definitely be an early upgrade person since I popped out of existence in April.

Fantasylife
May 30th, 2016, 18:35
Still trying to figure out if anyone on here got my placement.
It will definitely be an early upgrade person since I popped out of existence in April.

Hmm so that's why you went MIA for awhile. I noticed I didn't see you on the Fbook group anymore.

OatsCurrySummer
May 30th, 2016, 20:28
You got my first choice. Don't squander it.
(congrats though!)

darfurorphan
May 31st, 2016, 07:59
Nara is inaka af unless you're in the city. But it's close enough to everything else in Kansai so you're prob good. If you're all the way out in southern Nara then you're still like 3 hrs away from Kyoto and Osaka though.

Hopefully, I will learn to enjoy the inaka. I once lived in a town of just under 20,000 people in the Gobi desert for two years during my Peace Corps days, so I figure anything the inaka could throw at me should be a breeze. Especially since I am unlikely to be living in a felt tent this time. :002:

Ini
May 31st, 2016, 08:29
20,000 people???? thats a mid sized city.

darfurorphan
May 31st, 2016, 08:50
20,000 people???? thats a mid sized city.
It's hard to feel like a city when most of the population lives in ger slums. Basically, it was a Mongolian Hooverville surrounding a few blocks of buildings no taller than three stories in the center of town. Plus no running water and there was electricity for about half a week on average. I really hope the Nara-ken inaka isn't so similar on those last two points, especially.

Ini
May 31st, 2016, 08:56
3 story buildings??? yeah, you will be in for a shock.

OatsCurrySummer
May 31st, 2016, 10:58
there was electricity for about half a week on average.
This is going to be my life once typhoon season hits. I've been told to fill my washing machine with water and tape down the machine door so it doesn't break and fly off in the storm.

Ini
May 31st, 2016, 10:58
your washing machine is outside? how ghastly

OatsCurrySummer
May 31st, 2016, 11:02
your washing machine is outside? how ghastly
Life in Okinawa can be described as such: summer camp without the lesbian encounters.

Ini
May 31st, 2016, 11:04
thats not life in okinawa, thats life in a small apartment with a cheap washing machine.

OatsCurrySummer
May 31st, 2016, 11:12
thats not life in okinawa, thats life in a small apartment with a cheap washing machine.
I have my own house, but you're right about the rest. Small and cheap. I wouldn't mind shelling out extra for a better place if there was one.

uthinkimlost?
May 31st, 2016, 11:54
I have my own house, but you're right about the rest. Small and cheap. I wouldn't mind shelling out extra for a better place if there was one.

Get all Bear Grylls on that shit. He'd have built a hut from his own dung be drinking his own piss by now.

mothy
May 31st, 2016, 11:57
I'd think a dung house wouldn't be the most reliable in a typhoon.

uthinkimlost?
May 31st, 2016, 11:59

What if he used Les Stroud's dung?

OatsCurrySummer
May 31st, 2016, 12:06
Literally shit hitting the fan.

uthinkimlost?
May 31st, 2016, 12:09
Literally フン hitting the fan.

fixed!

ai_za_onigiri
June 4th, 2016, 09:41
Oh! A fellow Nagahama JET! Maybe we'll be able to meet and hang out along with the other JETs in the area after we get settled.

Where are you from? I'm from Virginia, USA.

I have Nagahama too! I'm from CT. Nice to meet you!

JPNLKatie
June 5th, 2016, 01:42
I have Nagahama too! I'm from CT. Nice to meet you!

Oh! Greetings! I'm sure we'll be meeting each other in the near future then. I look forward to it!

Zolrak 22
June 6th, 2016, 12:32
I popped out of existence in April.

You'll be missed. [emoji53]

Magictonay
June 6th, 2016, 20:37
Sendai-shi. I thought I'd finally post rather than just lurking :-)

Virgil
June 7th, 2016, 11:00
You'll be missed. [emoji53]

Aww that`s sweet. I still lurk around, but my new 'better' job has me quite busy. I miss the JET days. Never thought I'd say it. Farting around in the office with only 15 classes a week is like a dream now.

NatDoug
June 10th, 2016, 06:22
Just got upgraded from Jamaica. Waiting on my placement now.

fryfry
June 17th, 2016, 16:47
first contact with my BOE happened today via email. turns out my apartment is going to cost close to the same in rent as what I'm paying currently. They're asking me to reply, stating whether I consent to live there. The only thing that bugs me about this email is that I've only got info on how much the rent and deposit are. No pictures or other info on the apartment itself. Then again, I don't know if I have any other options, so replying with questions might be a waste of time.

Zolrak 22
June 17th, 2016, 17:13
No pictures or other info on the apartment itself. Then again, I don't know if I have any other options, so replying with questions might be a waste of time.

Even if there wasn't a choice, it doesn't hurt to ask for pictures.

With an excuse of knowing what to look forward to, or another "positive sounding" reason.

fryfry
June 18th, 2016, 04:45
I guess I'll reply with my consent but ask for other information, if available, as well (pictures, furnishing, location, etc.). Since my contact says he is "in charge" of the ALT for my city, I'm assuming that means he is my supervisor. Also my predecessor hasn't contacted me yet, so I'm not even sure that I have one. Guess I'll throw that on my list of questions.

WhiteFang
June 18th, 2016, 05:23
Just got my placement! Got placed in Yosano-cho, Kyoto! Which is great because the Kyoto prefecture was my second choice! There's not a lot of information on it online! Anyone know anything? XD

mrcharisma
June 18th, 2016, 18:12
Just got my placement! Got placed in Yosano-cho, Kyoto! Which is great because the Kyoto prefecture was my second choice! There's not a lot of information on it online! Anyone know anything? XD

Make sure you have a car it's quite rural up that way. In terms of time your nearest big city might actually be Kobe, there's an expressway straight there from Maizaru.

downloadablecontent
June 20th, 2016, 06:41
Is anyone else headed to Gunma-ken? My placement is in Tamamura-machi, but I haven't been able to find out much about the area online. My predecessor started off by saying it's not as bad as the horror stories I'd likely heard...wondering if that should be cause for concern, haha.

Isola
June 20th, 2016, 08:55
For those who haven't heard from their predecessors or even their BOEs, or if the contact you've gotten has not really been what you were expecting, please let me explain.

I am the person who has been at my BOE the longest. That means that not a single person in my BOE has ever dealt with a new JET. Staff changes are frequent, and I'd say it's likely that your supervisor or other people that you are dealing with do not know what they're doing. They also probably don't speak English.

No one at the BOE told me about my successor. I had to go in and ask myself. Then no one could find my successor's application because it had gotten misplaced, so I had to wait to get the contact info. The reason I went out of my way to contact my successor was because my predecessor was a selfish twat who never contacted me, so I remember very clearly how anxious I was to hear from someone in my town as soon as possible. A lot of departing JETs are probably thinking more about what they'll be doing in August than thinking about talking to the newb.

Just some perspective for those who are still waiting.

mothy
June 20th, 2016, 10:08
Is anyone else headed to Gunma-ken? My placement is in Tamamura-machi, but I haven't been able to find out much about the area online. My predecessor started off by saying it's not as bad as the horror stories I'd likely heard...wondering if that should be cause for concern, haha.

I know nothing about the job part, but I do know a little about the town, for private reasons I won't go into.
Tamamura doesn't have a lot, but compared to other towns without a lot going for it, I'd say it's pretty nice. It's got a university there, so it doesn't skew as old as most Japanese small towns. It's close to Takasaki and Maebashi which are both decent small cities. From Takasaki you can catch one train into Tokyo, which takes, if I remember right, an hour and a half. So, while it's not something you'd want to do every day, it's something you can do occasionally to break the small town monotony.
Although it's possible to survive without a car there, if I lived there I'd want one.

fryfry
June 20th, 2016, 16:21
For those who haven't heard from their predecessors or even their BOEs, or if the contact you've gotten has not really been what you were expecting, please let me explain.

I am the person who has been at my BOE the longest. That means that not a single person in my BOE has ever dealt with a new JET. Staff changes are frequent, and I'd say it's likely that your supervisor or other people that you are dealing with do not know what they're doing. They also probably don't speak English.

No one at the BOE told me about my successor. I had to go in and ask myself. Then no one could find my successor's application because it had gotten misplaced, so I had to wait to get the contact info. The reason I went out of my way to contact my successor was because my predecessor was a selfish twat who never contacted me, so I remember very clearly how anxious I was to hear from someone in my town as soon as possible. A lot of departing JETs are probably thinking more about what they'll be doing in August than thinking about talking to the newb.

Just some perspective for those who are still waiting.

this fits well with what I've seen in the past week. a rep of my BOE went ahead and contacted me to let me know about my housing and documents pertaining to my position. I asked a few questions, but also asked for my pred's contact info since I don't want to make a lot of demands of the guy (he's trying with me, but doesnt seem fluent in English). he got right back to me with that. Now that I'm in touch with my pred they seem very helpful, but for a while I was starting to get nervous about the coming month.

it did kind of make me wonder if my pred had been given any info about me before I emailed them.

Fantasylife
June 20th, 2016, 20:53
Here in Hiroshima prefecture we are anxiously awaiting news of our successors. Even are supervisors would like to know. The BOE told my supervisor it will be July 1st.

fryfry
June 21st, 2016, 06:17
I suppose it's not surprising that it would take a while to distribute all the information on every JET that gets placed every year. if it's just a matter of sending accepted applications to BOE's, though, it's slightly perplexing. ;p

Mega
June 22nd, 2016, 23:26
Here in Hiroshima prefecture we are anxiously awaiting news of our successors. Even are supervisors would like to know. The BOE told my supervisor it will be July 1st.

I'm an incoming Hiroshima peep, so good to know a possible date range, bad to know its about as far away as expected. (Although just realized thats only a little over a week away) But then I am sure it will take a few days for the news to trickle down to us incoming JETs.

Skywise
June 30th, 2016, 07:05
Damn, Hiroshima was one of my preferences. Pretty much anywhere would've been okay besides where I ended up. Heck, I was begging for a rural placement. Wouldn't be so bad if one could transfer or swap.

OatsCurrySummer
June 30th, 2016, 22:35
Damn, Hiroshima was one of my preferences. Pretty much anywhere would've been okay besides where I ended up. Heck, I was begging for a rural placement. Wouldn't be so bad if one could transfer or swap.

And a few threads down there are dozens of alternates who would kill to be placed anywhere at all.

Gizmotech
July 1st, 2016, 00:21
Any alternate who would be killed to be placed ought to be killed. They are exactly the type of overly focused person jet DOES NOT NEED.

Fantasylife
July 1st, 2016, 17:56
If any Hiroshima people are reading this, you will definitely hear from your Preds next week. My neighbor recieved her successor information today and I will get mines Monday.

Mega
July 2nd, 2016, 23:35
If any Hiroshima people are reading this, you will definitely hear from your Preds next week. My neighbor recieved her successor information today and I will get mines Monday.

This is so great to hear. I have been dying to know my placement. *Tries to remain calm and stoic*

Zolrak 22
July 3rd, 2016, 02:14
My neighbor recieved her successor information today and I will get mines Monday.

Going to give out words of wisdom, or a warning of what's to come?

Fantasylife
July 3rd, 2016, 09:25
Going to give out words of wisdom, or a warning of what's to come?

Yeah, I've been thinking long and hard about this. I don't want to kill the new guy (girl's) excitement about coming here, but I don't want to hold back information the way my pred did. The one thing I do plan to do is keep my personal feelings about the situation out of my report, so no gripes about certain teachers, etc.

I think I'm going to take a don't ask, don't tell approach, for example, start by giving them only the facts about the placement (you'll be living here, working here, teaching these grades, etc.) but only give them additional information if they ask for it and be honest in my responses.

To to tell the truth I'm a little worried about who I get. I've been talking to one possible successor and she seems like a delicate little thing. She's scared about lesson planning and teaching on her own. She said she wouldn't know what to do. When I gave her bits of information about my placement (100% lesson planning on your own, little to no JTE support, extremely unmotivated, low level students) she said something of the equivalent that my placement would be her worse nightmare. I personally hope I get a guy because I think a guy would be able to rough it out more. The only reason I didn't end up being a flyjin is because my own high school was similar to the ones I'm teaching at.

Well, whoever I get, I just hope they aren't delicate. If you're fresh out of school with no real life experience, my placement will grow you up fast.

Zolrak 22
July 3rd, 2016, 11:27
The only reason I didn't end up being a flyjin is because my own high school was similar to the ones I'm teaching at.

I always pegged you as a survivor, so I knew you'd make it through the whole thing. [emoji14]

Still, I certainly would appreciate a fair warning in regards to the general situation. (Even if it might be a bit biased) Better than going in blind.

Oh and the stories about the teachers and etc, those would have been nice to hear in the rant threads (or VIP section if you were worried about sharing personal information).

mrcharisma
July 4th, 2016, 03:53
I certainly would appreciate a fair warning in regards to the general situation. (Even if it might be a bit biased) Better than going in blind.

Thankfully that's not something you've had to worry about since you started applying for Jet.

acpc2203
July 4th, 2016, 08:52
kek

Phifo
July 6th, 2016, 06:03
Yeah, I've been thinking long and hard about this. I don't want to kill the new guy (girl's) excitement about coming here, but I don't want to hold back information the way my pred did. The one thing I do plan to do is keep my personal feelings about the situation out of my report, so no gripes about certain teachers, etc.

I think I'm going to take a don't ask, don't tell approach, for example, start by giving them only the facts about the placement (you'll be living here, working here, teaching these grades, etc.) but only give them additional information if they ask for it and be honest in my responses.

To to tell the truth I'm a little worried about who I get. I've been talking to one possible successor and she seems like a delicate little thing. She's scared about lesson planning and teaching on her own. She said she wouldn't know what to do. When I gave her bits of information about my placement (100% lesson planning on your own, little to no JTE support, extremely unmotivated, low level students) she said something of the equivalent that my placement would be her worse nightmare. I personally hope I get a guy because I think a guy would be able to rough it out more. The only reason I didn't end up being a flyjin is because my own high school was similar to the ones I'm teaching at.

Well, whoever I get, I just hope they aren't delicate. If you're fresh out of school with no real life experience, my placement will grow you up fast.

It's stuff like this that makes me glad I've worked with difficult populations of people the past few years. After you've had to deal with the parents of mentally ill/challenged kids, you're pretty much prepared for anything. My only fear is that I'm not going to have enough work to keep me busy. Still, I'm a little concerned that I haven't heard from my predecessor. We've been told that Kobe has a record of incoming JETs this year and to be patient, but that still doesn't soothe my anxiety.

mrcharisma
July 6th, 2016, 08:08
After you've had to deal with the parents of mentally ill/challenged kids, you're pretty much prepared for anything.

Wait till you start dealing with parents who are mentally challenged themselves.

Phifo
July 6th, 2016, 08:29
Wait till you start dealing with parents who are mentally challenged themselves.

Oh, some of them definitely were. Not to mention parents who think their children are special snowflakes who are capable of no wrong. I feel like I applied for the right job in potentially dealing with obscene levels of bullshit.

NatDoug
July 8th, 2016, 01:30
Hey all, I have finally received my placement. I'm heading to Ashikita, Kumamoto in August. Does anyone have an overview of what the area is like? I'm still waiting to get accepted into the block group FB page.

mothy
July 8th, 2016, 01:37
Googld apocalyptic wasteland.

NatDoug
July 8th, 2016, 01:48
Googld apocalyptic wasteland.

Lol... good to know.

mrcharisma
July 8th, 2016, 07:12
Lol... good to know.

Kumamoto city was crawling with prime trim when I briefly visited. If you like 'em trashy you'll be happy as a pig in shit.

acpc2203
July 8th, 2016, 10:00
Kumamoto city was crawling with prime trim when I briefly visited. If you like 'em trashy you'll be happy as a pig in shit.
what did he mean by this?

Satori Shinobi
July 8th, 2016, 10:47

Which part?

acpc2203
July 8th, 2016, 11:44
Which part?
All of it

mrcharisma
July 8th, 2016, 18:31

Kumamoto city was full of trashy gyaru types when I visited.

NatDoug
July 9th, 2016, 02:14
Kumamoto city was full of trashy gyaru types when I visited.

They are not my type as I am female. Won't be a problem for me.

Zolrak 22
July 9th, 2016, 07:19
Whatever floats your boat.

http://nevar.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/5/3/2653711/9471867_orig.jpg

uthinkimlost?
July 9th, 2016, 10:24

I know a couple of females that go for trashy girls. Sure you don't want them to give you some tips?