PDA

View Full Version : Economics

fryfry
June 26th, 2016, 09:12
So,

If I am REALLY trying to save up and think I am going to just barely scrape by on my first month's rent & deposit in Japan, should I convert most of my savings to yen before it gets any stronger? Stupid Brexit...

By the way, I know absolutely nothing about how money works.

uthinkimlost?
June 26th, 2016, 11:31
If anybody tells you that they know what to do, they are a liar.

Don't try to mess with playing with currency. Just get it at the most convenient time for you.

Ini
June 26th, 2016, 12:46
Might be worth waiting a bit as the BoE is looking to prop up the pound and the BoJ is looking to intervene to weaken the yen.

fryfry
June 26th, 2016, 12:47
nobody's told me what to do, yet I'm just a bit skittish at this time. My closest brush with the stock market having come from the movie "Trading Places".

Anyway, I've decided I won't do anything rash. There's still a month left to go.

mrcharisma
June 27th, 2016, 06:52
Back in 11' we got ¥115 to the pound for our savings. You young 'uns don't know you're born.

fryfry
June 27th, 2016, 08:05
whaaaat! I thought you guys were really smart, and that's why I come here. :(

mothy
June 27th, 2016, 09:50
People who understand the value of money don't go on JET.

JPNLKatie
June 29th, 2016, 02:23
How much are you planning to bring to Japan? When I realized the yen was getting stronger, I went ahead an ordered about 15 man in japanese yen. For me, that cost about $1500 USD. I think I can get by with that amount but I'll probably order another 5 man or so just in case. I'm just waiting to hear back from my supervisor about my first months costs before I decide on an amount. I've been told I'll have to pay for rent for both August and September when I arrive, but I still haven't been told how much that will be yet.

By the way, I'm an Economics major and even I don't understand money all that well.

Ini
June 29th, 2016, 04:55
You will need a lot more than 15man if you are paying 2 months rent. That could be as high as 12man right there.

fryfry
June 29th, 2016, 05:53
my rent is 43k. deposit plus shikikin appears to be 101k altogether. place looks nice.

fryfry
June 29th, 2016, 07:41
How much are you planning to bring to Japan? When I realized the yen was getting stronger, I went ahead an ordered about 15 man in japanese yen. For me, that cost about $1500 USD. I think I can get by with that amount but I'll probably order another 5 man or so just in case. I'm just waiting to hear back from my supervisor about my first months costs before I decide on an amount. I've been told I'll have to pay for rent for both August and September when I arrive, but I still haven't been told how much that will be yet.

By the way, I'm an Economics major and even I don't understand money all that well.

well, I'm planning to bring all I have. I currently work a $10.50/hour fulltime job, which is sufficient for living, but not for saving. My supervisor recommends I bring about 25man with me. As it stands I think I'll be able to manage closer to 20man, but I'm looking to make that last. I've already purchased furnishings from my pred.

tobio
June 29th, 2016, 09:05
tbh im only bringing like 1200CAD worth of yen to japan but i also get free rent and don't have to worry about deposit and key money so i have it pretty lucky

OatsCurrySummer
June 29th, 2016, 09:33
I brought 3,000CAD and used it all because I was the first woman to live in my house in thirty years and when I got there I found a broken sink, a busted washing machine and moldy curtains. Even without the furniture expenditures, you'd be hard pressed to survive six weeks in a new country on 1,200CAD (and my rent is almost free as well, so that wasn't an issue)

Ini
June 29th, 2016, 10:04
I spent 3man on hookers and blackjack at tokyo orientation and that was in the dark ages when a nickel would buy you a steak and kidney pie, a cup of coffee, a slice of cheesecake and a newsreel with enough change left over to ride the trolley from Battery Park to the polo grounds.

uthinkimlost?
June 29th, 2016, 10:05
I spent 3man on hookers.

I'm not sure if you got a good deal or regrettable hookers.

Frap
June 29th, 2016, 10:19
I spent 3man on hookers and blackjack at tokyo orientation and that was in the dark ages when a nickel would buy you a steak and kidney pie, a cup of coffee, a slice of cheesecake and a newsreel with enough change left over to ride the trolley from Battery Park to the polo grounds.

would love a steak and kidney pie right now

acpc2203
June 29th, 2016, 10:55
Ah the polo grounds

JPNLKatie
June 29th, 2016, 12:50
You will need a lot more than 15man if you are paying 2 months rent. That could be as high as 12man right there.

I currently have 15 man, but I plan to order at least another 5 man. So in other words, I am bringing at least 20 man with me. I may decide to bring more once I find out how much my rent will be. I'm not certain about this, but I believe my rent is subsidized. Someone told me before that Nagahama jets get a monthly rent subsidy of 3 man. I'm not sure if it is still like that though. I'm hoping that Aug + Sep rent will cost me no more than 10 man, which will leave me with another 10 man to survive on until my first paycheck. I've already been told I don't have to pay key money, and I'm assuming I don't also have to pay the deposit. So 10 man should be enough to live on for a month, right?

I do have another $600 I can access, but I want to leave that in my home bank to take care of my first two student loan payments, which are due Aug. 21st and Sep 21st. The monthly loan payments will be $287 each month.

Ini
June 29th, 2016, 12:56
depends if you want to socialize or not. couple of 5000-10,000yen nights out and that 10man will soon disappear.

JPNLKatie
June 29th, 2016, 13:17
delete

mrcharisma
June 30th, 2016, 06:05
What would I possibly be spending that money on, besides on food? I don't think I'd be spending $100 on a single meal unless its a 5 star restaurant. I don't drink alcohol, by the way.

Come on Katie, live a little. A few jars never hurt anyone.

webstaa
June 30th, 2016, 08:11
What would I possibly be spending that money on, besides on food? I don't think I'd be spending $100 on a single meal unless its a 5 star restaurant. I don't drink alcohol, by the way.

Doesn't matter - if you go a "nomihoudai" (all you can drink - but not really) restaurant, you pay the same as everybody else - drinking or not. And the majority of such JET/ALT socializing "events" tend to be in said restaurants. Sometimes they're really cheap - 2000-4000 and sometimes they're far more expensive... And enkais will probably be at nicer ones - bonenkai last year ran around 11000, but that included a night in the onsen/hotel, and the school welcome party was around 8000.

If you've got a Visa debit card through your bank, you can pull out money via Japan Post (the post office) ATMs. It's usually less advantageous than ordering in advance, but it's always an option. And if money is going to be tight and you've got loan payments, see if you can get a couple months forbearance/deferment due to move abroad.

fryfry
July 2nd, 2016, 06:51
beginning to consider bringing $1-200 worth of yen on the plane and exchanging most of my money in Japan when I get there. Seems like inside the banks in the destination country usually offer the best exchange rates (?).

Ini
July 2nd, 2016, 07:28
If you do that then you'll probably want to change it in Tokyo as your shitty provincial bank might not be big on doing foreign currency exchanges.

Penguinonfire
July 2nd, 2016, 13:11
That's what I did, brought 1000 yen and took out large chunks of money from the JPost bank every day of orientation. Definitely was the best option in terms of exchange rate (my bank has no fees for international withdrawals). If you go this route you might be in trouble on the very slight chance that something goes wrong, though.

fryfry
July 2nd, 2016, 16:15
whtamight be in trouble on the very slight chance that something goes wrong, though.
what do you mean?

uthinkimlost?
July 2nd, 2016, 16:19
Lost or stolen card, for starters.

fryfry
July 2nd, 2016, 16:21
true.
I'm a little drunk right now, having a hard time seeing the blindingly obvious.

TachikawaTruffle
July 2nd, 2016, 22:07
Check your banks' international daily withdrawal limit if you go this route. My bank had a $300 limit on my checking account - that was a fun suprise when I discovered it.

Ebi
July 2nd, 2016, 23:16
That's what I did, brought 1000 yen and took out large chunks of money from the JPost bank every day of orientation. Definitely was the best option in terms of exchange rate (my bank has no fees for international withdrawals). If you go this route you might be in trouble on the very slight chance that something goes wrong, though.
I did this too. I ran into one brief snag when I tried to withdraw too much at once, however. When I reduced the withdrawal amount, it worked just fine. If you get an error message that could be the issue. I don't remember the exact limit though.

But you definitely want to be sure that your card is cleared in advance for usage abroad.

Ini
July 2nd, 2016, 23:23
When I first came to Japan American Express travelers cheques were the preferred method of bringing over cash.....

i'll go back to rocking in my chair while listening to Bobby Darin on the wireless.

fryfry
July 3rd, 2016, 00:55
thank you grampa Ini.

yeah, checking with my credit union (poor man's bank) is pretty high on my list now. also haven't asked my pred for recommendations yet, guess I should.

patjs
July 14th, 2016, 05:04

Oh my sweet summer child...

mothy
July 14th, 2016, 07:22
Oh my sweet summer child...

Yeah, we already piled on her about that. A certain mod moved the posts to the lounge.

Frap
July 14th, 2016, 08:32
Yeah, we already piled on her about that. A certain mod moved the posts to the lounge.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/stare-and-wink.gif

JPNLKatie
July 14th, 2016, 14:22
oh no, here it comes again...

Frap
July 14th, 2016, 14:31
oh no, here it comes again...

I'll take "things Zolrak's victims say" for 1000, Alex!

Jiggit
July 14th, 2016, 14:35
You having a go at Zolrak for being a creep would be like me ragging on mothy's alcoholism.

Frap
July 14th, 2016, 14:44
You having a go at Zolrak for being a creep would be like me ragging on mothy's alcoholism.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o_IuUluFCl4/U8_Nmui49QI/AAAAAAAADu8/MPcrih15t94/s1600/doing-alcohol-is-cool.gif

Jiggit
July 14th, 2016, 14:57
https://gfycat.com/ShadowyUnawareGuillemot