PDA

View Full Version : I need out of here.

Beer Baron
July 1st, 2016, 21:23
I'm looking to get back to Japan with the family.

Is anyone teaching here with Nova? Are they as bad as they were? Even if its just a stepping stone onto something else in Japan, I'd be willing to put up with a fair amount of abuse for a while.

Gizmotech
July 1st, 2016, 22:13
Baron, what's your skill set and where you looking to end up?

Beer Baron
July 2nd, 2016, 05:29
Well my current job is software engineering in PHP/JQuery/HTM5/CSS/Linux/PostgreSQL.

Did the 5 years as a JET. I'll be reapplying this year. Not particularly looking forward to the long application period again!

I'll be spending the weekend starting my job search in the computing field in Japan but I really don't expect much as my Japanese is far from business level.

Gizmotech
July 2nd, 2016, 06:52
Sorry one last Q, location wise where you looking to end up?

Beer Baron
July 2nd, 2016, 07:27
Osaka - have in laws there.

Ini
July 2nd, 2016, 07:39
Can't you do some freelance stuff from home while looking after the rugrat and send the lady wife out into the working world?

mothy
July 2nd, 2016, 08:15
Can't you do some freelance stuff from home while looking after the rugrat and send the lady wife out into the working world?

Yeah, with how little eikaiwas pay it wouldn't take that much to make the same off of freelance. I have a friend... Well, kind of friend, who does really well with freelance work.

But if one wants to do eikaiwa, seems to me Nova is about as good as any.

uthinkimlost?
July 2nd, 2016, 10:17
I didn't think you could do JET again if you'd already done 5?

Gizmotech
July 2nd, 2016, 12:40
I didn't think you could do JET again if you'd already done 5?

If he left just before completing all 60 months then he's technically capable of round two.

Baron, if you are willing to do teaching, I might know a company in osaka which would treat you fairly.

Beer Baron
July 3rd, 2016, 22:35
*Previously participated on the Programme for more than 5 years

Yea, I saw that in the criteria. It says "more than 5 years". I did 5. That's not more than 5 :D
I'll give it a shot in October when the applications open up again.

Gizmo, that sounds great - can you PM me some details?

Isola
July 4th, 2016, 08:35
Don't think I'd recommend Nova (http://www.generalunion.org/Joomla/index.php/alts-dispatch/1431-sapporo-dispatch-disaster-nova-interac-sapporo-city-board-of-education-all-to-blame).

weepinbell
July 4th, 2016, 13:25
I hear good things about Altia Central - they're mainly based in Kansai. I know they require basic-conversational Japanese. They have really fair paid vacation, too.

Beer Baron
July 4th, 2016, 15:11
Isola - I don't see a date on that article

mothy
July 4th, 2016, 15:31
It was relatively recent. But it was more a general clusterfuck than Nova specifically misbehaving.

Gizmotech
July 4th, 2016, 18:22
Baron, it's been all over the Hokkaido news. Like Mothy said a massive clusterfuck.

Beer Baron
July 4th, 2016, 18:28
OK, just haven't been keeping up to date on the forum, so its new to me :)

richief_611
July 4th, 2016, 18:35
Yea, I saw that in the criteria. It says "more than 5 years". I did 5. That's not more than 5 :D
I'll give it a shot in October when the applications open up again.

Unfortunately, you can't apply again since 5 years is the MAX. Unless the program changes in the future to be more than 5 years, there's no way.

For the 2016-17 U.S. application, it says applicants must: "Not have participated in the JET Program for three (3) years as of the year of departure, or for a total of five (5) years."

On the 2016-17 Canadian application, it says: "You are NOT eligible to apply
for this year's JET Programme if:
● You have participated in the JET Programme since 2013-2014 inclusive of April 2013 arrivals, or for more than five years in total."

This means you must wait until AFTER 2 "application" cycles have passed before you can apply again. But this is only if you participated for less than 5 years.

"For more than 5 years", means you can't participate if you already did 5 years. If you went on for 4 years, you could go back and do another year, but that's it. The U.S. application is more clear about it. Applications across different countries should be about the same, even if the wording is a little bit different.

It'd be best to try to get a direct hire offer from a BOE. This usually requires you to already be in Japan though, and only if there are openings. Or it's best to just find a whole different position, like in your specialty of being a software engineer.

Ini
July 4th, 2016, 18:56
uk says

former JET Programme applicants can reapply to the Programme provided they have not:

*Participated on the Programme in the last 3 years
*Previously participated on the Programme for more than 5 years
*Lived in Japan for more than a total of 6 out of the last 10 years
*Declined an offer of a position on the Programme without justifiable reasons (all applicants who have previously declined an offer of a position on the Programme should consult with the Programme Coordinator regarding their eligibility status)

Sounds ok to me.

Beer Baron
July 4th, 2016, 21:45
Sent them a mail just to be sure. No point in wasting time if it's an instant rejection.

Update:
Their reply is below.

To answer your query, five years is the maximum length of time that anyone may participate on the JET Programme. Therefore, we regret to inform you that you are ineligible to reapply. We would like to thank you for your continued interest in the JET Programme and we wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Kind regards,

UK JET Programme

:(

Ini
July 5th, 2016, 01:00
Time to break out the hair wax and silver suit and enter the lucrative world of hosting.

Beer Baron
July 5th, 2016, 01:08
Server Hosting? I don't need a suit for ........ ohhhh right. Hosting....

mrcharisma
July 5th, 2016, 03:02
Server Hosting? I don't need a suit for ........ ohhhh right. Hosting....

There's always "Executive Search", "Talent Acquisition" or whatever they're calling sitting in a room with a phonebook these days

Gizmotech
July 5th, 2016, 03:33
There's always "Executive Search", "Talent Acquisition" or whatever they're calling sitting in a room with a phonebook these days

It's just recruiting now.

Isola
July 5th, 2016, 11:00
Isola - I don't see a date on that article
As others have mentioned, it was this year in March/April. The fact that Nova underbid Interac should tell you something about the pay.

mothy
July 5th, 2016, 11:56
All the companies try to underbid each other. It's just business. Now not being able to supply what they promised to the BoE, that's bad business.

Ini
July 5th, 2016, 12:09
What the BOE's pay to the dispatch company has very little to do with what the company pays the ALT. Last time I sat through an interac pitch they were asking more than it would cost to get a JET.

GodInStrafeMode
July 5th, 2016, 15:50
Last time I sat through an interac pitch they were asking more than it would cost to get a JET.
But it still ends up being cheaper because you don't have to pay all those niggly things like Tokyo orientation, flights (international + domestic) etc. etc.
Imagine how much it costs bumf#ck 役場 if their JET only stays for a year :lol:

Wakuwaku
July 5th, 2016, 21:10
Osaka has an ALT program. I applied for a job with them last year. I ended up taking a position elsewhere but couldn't hurt to look it up. Osaka prefectural NET