PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing Location?

GATTACA
July 19th, 2016, 02:40
Hello all,

I am an aspiring JET and I am thinking of locations to put on my application this fall. I know that what I pick may not be where I end up, but even general locations (even the island) I am having trouble with.

Things I know about the location I'd like:

- Situation wise I'm thinking Kyushu - everything from the weather to the landscape I like about it, ---but--- southern Honshu seems nice as well. I'd really love to be near the mountains but also near the ocean, best of both worlds kind of thing. If there are local hot springs that's even better.

- I'd like a small city/large town sort of thing. Large enough to be interesting where one meets new people often, and small enough to be laid back and homey. Slow and steady wins the race. I guess situated where travel to other places is not difficult, like visiting another city for the weekend kind of thing.

- Someplace unique I guess - I want the full steep in Japanese culture, from traditional housing to (most importantly) awesome local food!

That's all I really look for - a place with mountain and ocean views, slow but interesting and where I can live the traditional life. I've never have been to Japan, but have been working so I can go. I really don't know which locations I should put down, so if anybody can recommend places they think are awesome please put them down! They don't even have to be on Kyushu! :023:

Ananasboat
July 19th, 2016, 08:37
You're way jumping the gun.

Don't worry about where you're getting placed, as you have super little to do with where you get placed. Applications aren't even up. I bet you're excited, but there are other aspects of the application you should focus your energy on.

I don't know what you've heard about Kyushu, but it's hot as balls. Also it's inaka af.

acpc2203
July 19th, 2016, 08:39
Tottori

Ananasboat
July 19th, 2016, 08:41
ACPC you must really hate this guy.

acpc2203
July 19th, 2016, 08:43
Well if you request Tottori or Shimane you will get it.

mothy
July 19th, 2016, 09:07
Sounds like just about anywhere in Tohoku would work for you.

OatsCurrySummer
July 19th, 2016, 09:22
I don't know what you've heard about Kyushu, but it's hot as balls. Also it's inaka af.
I just came back from Kyushu and it felt like a glorious spring day compared to the fiery death trap I returned home to.
It was nice to be reminded what my hair feels like when its not 95% humidity though.

And also, agreed. OP is way jumping the gun. First, focus on getting in and then you can enjoy watching JET completely disregard any placement preference you had.

Ini
July 19th, 2016, 09:34
just pick Suburban/Rural anywhere other than Kanto, Okinawa or Hokkaido.

GATTACA
July 19th, 2016, 09:53
Yeah I probably am jumping the gun a little, but you're right - just excited. I know that you have to put down 3 locals in your application, so I started to think about it and came to the conclusion I really have no idea where to start.

I know Kyushu is definitely hot and humid, but that's what I'm used too. I'm thinking Kyushu has mountains, pretty countrysides, and small townships everywhere to visit.

What's in Tohuku?

Gizmotech
July 19th, 2016, 11:51
Sounds like just about anywhere in Tohoku would work for you.

That's kinda what I was thinking actually.

mothy
July 19th, 2016, 12:10
Yeah I probably am jumping the gun a little, but you're right - just excited. I know that you have to put down 3 locals in your application, so I started to think about it and came to the conclusion I really have no idea where to start.

I know Kyushu is definitely hot and humid, but that's what I'm used too. I'm thinking Kyushu has mountains, pretty countrysides, and small townships everywhere to visit.

What's in Tohuku?

Mountains. Ocean. Small villages and moderate sized cities. Pretty much the same as Kyushu, but colder and, in my opinion, less likely to be placed in an area that's too countryside.

Ini
July 19th, 2016, 12:12
tohoku? big booty bitches and raw horse meat.

OatsCurrySummer
July 19th, 2016, 12:21
raw horse meat.
What a vulgar way to refer to a penis

TachikawaTruffle
July 20th, 2016, 04:30
Can confirm.

fryfry
July 20th, 2016, 04:40
I requested a town inside Shimane pref. and didn't get it. But you guys might be talking about the cities.

GATTACA
July 20th, 2016, 10:01
I guess I'll need to do some digging into Tohoku - mountains, oceans, and medium-sized townships sound about right to me. Plus take away the humidity of Kyushu and that sounds like a pretty scene.

First, focus on getting in and then you can enjoy watching JET completely disregard any placement preference you had.

So in most likelihood will they completely disregard placement options, and I don't really need to think this much about placement?

Ini
July 20th, 2016, 10:19
the will take legitimate reasons into consideration. (health reasons for requesting hot/cold areas, family living nearby, preexisting ties to a region etc etc) just saying "I like mountains, ocean and sun" makes you sound like an advertisement for MOS burger and probably wont stop them sticking you anywhere they feel like.

Frap
July 20th, 2016, 10:46
Depending on where you're applying from, they may not even ask you for reasons why you picked your preferences.

If I remember correctly, there was no option to include a reason for your preferences on the online form. You had the option of choosing a "top three" from a drop down box. They didn't even bring up my choices in the interview. Literally wasn't even mentioned.

FYI, my top choice was Hokkaido and I got Hokkaido.

OatsCurrySummer
July 20th, 2016, 10:51
So in most likelihood will they completely disregard placement options, and I don't really need to think this much about placement?
Like Ini said, legitimate health reasons will be taken into consideration (for example, a diabetic would not be placed on my island because there is no hospital and medical emergencies require a helicopter airlift), but for the most part, its mostly up to chance and whatever mysterious happenings take place behind CLAIR's doors.
For example, I requested all the northern prefectures because I hate the heat...and they sent me to a tropical island with 95% humidity every day. I've come to tolerate (dare I say, like?) it now.
Also, being an alternate means my preferences probably got zero consideration. It was all dependent on somebody breaking contract early.

Ini
July 20th, 2016, 11:07
Depending on where you're applying from, they may not even ask you for reasons why you picked your preferences.

If I remember correctly, there was no option to include a reason for your preferences on the online form.

If your reasons are strong enough they probably cropped up elsewhere in your app (SOP, intercultural experience, japan-related studies)

Frap
July 20th, 2016, 11:18
If your reasons are strong enough they probably cropped up elsewhere in your app (SOP, intercultural experience, japan-related studies)

Hmmm, I don't remember mentioning preferences anywhere other than picking them on the online form.

I didn't write about my preferences in my SOP because my main reason was "colder climate = less insects" and I didn't want to seem pathetic~

I was also never asked "why JET?" or "why Japan?"

OatsCurrySummer
July 20th, 2016, 11:28
I didn't want to seem pathetic~

I was also never asked "why JET?" or "why Japan?"
Too bad, I don't think "because Japanese men" is a pathetic answer at all.

fryfry
July 20th, 2016, 12:46
If I remember correctly, there was no option to include a reason for your preferences on the online form. You had the option of choosing a "top three" from a drop down box. They didn't even bring up my choices in the interview. Literally wasn't even mentioned.

FYI, my top choice was Hokkaido and I got Hokkaido.
U.S. Form for 2016 had the 3 dropdowns, and space to give reasons. But, IIRC, the character limit on each reason was something like 20-50. (Understandable.)

fryfry
July 20th, 2016, 12:54
The one piece of helpful advice I have to give is that I picked 3 southwestern Japan choices for mostly climate reasons (it was brought up it my interview, as well), and lo and behold, I received a placement in SWhweaty balls Japan.
But as others have said (and my application pointed this out as well), there's only so much JET can do to accommodate placement requests. That's why they're called requests.

My 2nd piece of advice is to lurk and explore every single section of this forum, especially "Aspiring and Applying". There are treasure troves of good advice, even in the archives.

webstaa
July 20th, 2016, 14:06
Realistically, the "unique" places in Japan probably won't have JET ALTs, and even if they do, openings vary year to year.

Remember that you don't need to list preferences. And that sometimes your preference for location will be in conflict with your level (for example, some cities only hire JET ALTs for elementary school positions.) Don't feel pressured to pick 3 places in Japan you really, really want to live in - more than likely you won't get them anyways.

But doing research into regions of Japan never hurts - I wouldn't have chosen my location (I didn't put any preferences) and I'm very happy with it. Even though it was on the far side of the country from where I had lived before.

johnny
July 22nd, 2016, 12:58

I lived in Yamaguchi and loved it. Mind you, I lived 8 minutes away from a Shinkansen stop. That was nice.

mrcharisma
July 23rd, 2016, 06:18
Otsu city is a good strategic pick. Right in the middle of Japan, 10 minutes on the train to Kyoto yet a big enough city itself that allows you a slice of Japanese suburban life.

alee50
July 24th, 2016, 23:41
The hot springs in Kyushu are awesome!! Give it a try and perhaps, you'll get it. (Wow! I can't believe the JET application have all gone online.)

Zolrak 22
July 25th, 2016, 01:34
Wow! I can't believe the JET application have all gone online.

The applications open around October.

Some people just like to be prepared.