PDA

View Full Version : Using Unlocked Iphone with Sim card in Japan

JPNLKatie
July 20th, 2016, 12:05
Hi.

So I have a Iphone 5c (from sprint), that was locked, but I have recently unlocked it internationally, for sim cards only.

So, I thought I'd try a sim card on the phone to see if it works before I go out and buy a Japanese phone. (I'd rather not have to do that unless I have to). I want to ask if anyone here has any experience using a sim card with their unlocked phone? How did it go? Do you have any recommendations for where to get sims cards?

Thanks in advance

OatsCurrySummer
July 20th, 2016, 12:15
Hi.

So I have a Iphone 5c (from sprint), that was locked, but I have recently unlocked it internationally, for sim cards only.

So, I thought I'd try a sim card on the phone to see if it works before I go out and buy a Japanese phone. (I'd rather not have to do that unless I have to). I want to ask if anyone here has any experience using a sim card with their unlocked phone? How did it go? Do you have any recommendations for where to get sims cards?

Thanks in advance
I caused my co-ordinator hours of stress and had to sit in an electronics store with the same thirty second theme song playing in the background for three hours straight because I did this. Just shell out for a new phone and don't make your BOE's job harder than it has to be.

JPNLKatie
July 20th, 2016, 12:17
I caused my co-ordinator hours of stress and had to sit in an electronics store with the same thirty second theme song playing in the background for three hours straight because I did this. Just shell out for a new phone and don't make your BOE's job harder than it has to be.

Hmm. I can't go out and get the sims card myself? Anyway, after all the waiting, did you get the sims card? Did it work? Why did it take you 3 hours just to get a sims card?

OatsCurrySummer
July 20th, 2016, 12:19
I did get one, but only because my co-ordinator had to makes lots of phone calls and do research since my language skills were next to nothing when I arrived. I feel so bad for making her do all that (and always make sure she gets omiyage when I leave the island as a show of eternal indebtedness)

JPNLKatie
July 20th, 2016, 12:21
I did get one, but only because my co-ordinator had to makes lots of phone calls and do research since my language skills were next to nothing when I arrived. I feel so bad for making her do all that (and always make sure she gets omiyage when I leave the island as a show of eternal indebtedness)

Did it work though? The sims card? What kind of phone did you have? My Japanese level is intermediate/advanced so I can handle this by myself if I need to.

OatsCurrySummer
July 20th, 2016, 12:24
iPhone 5S, and yes it works. 10GB data a month with PlaySIM (under the docomo network) for $30 a month. Then I have a separate flip phone with unlimited Japan-wide calling with YMobile! for $25 a month.
For $55 a month, 10GB data and unlimited calling is not a bad deal I think.

Ini
July 20th, 2016, 12:26
You still want to use a 5c in 2016? Why not just use carrier pigeons?

Gizmotech
July 20th, 2016, 12:31
Hmm. I can't go out and get the sims card myself? Anyway, after all the waiting, did you get the sims card? Did it work? Why did it take you 3 hours just to get a sims card?

You can, but the point is, if you're asking here first, then your japanese probably isn't good enough to manage it without your supervisor around. Also, it has to be done at the bigger stores as many of the more rural outlets of places like say BicCamera don't deal in sim cards.

JPNLKatie
July 20th, 2016, 12:38
You still want to use a 5c in 2016? Why not just use carrier pigeons?

I don't see why I need to upgrade. My phone works perfectly fine. Goes on the internet, lets me check my email, lets me text, listen to music, play the occasional game app. That's all I need it to do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why should I waste $400 on an upgraded phone, that is what, a little bit shinier? a little bit faster? Not worth it in my opinion.

Then again, I'm very abnormal for someone of my generation, as you already know. I didn't get my first cellphone until right before I graduated high school in 2011, and that was just a slider cellphone. It was actually my mother that forced me to upgrade to the iphone 5c a couple years back. lol

Ini
July 20th, 2016, 12:45
I graduated high school in 2011

http://www.relatably.com/m/img/feeling-old-memes/53733663.jpg

JPNLKatie
July 20th, 2016, 12:47
http://www.relatably.com/m/img/feeling-old-memes/53733663.jpg

Haha, well this proves my point even more. Even people that are in older generations than me are more into smart phones than I am.

JPNLKatie
July 20th, 2016, 12:53
You can, but the point is, if you're asking here first, then your japanese probably isn't good enough to manage it without your supervisor around. Also, it has to be done at the bigger stores as many of the more rural outlets of places like say BicCamera don't deal in sim cards.

I'm asking here first because I don't really know much about sims cards. Also, I'm not in Japan yet, so I can't actually go out and physically shop around myself. My Japanese is probably good enough to do this on my own, but I will probably have some issues, nonetheless. It also never hurts to ask people for advice about things you don't know much about, especially since those people have probably dealt with this situation themselves before.

webstaa
July 20th, 2016, 14:02
Yes, you can just get sim-only plans fairly easily. The biggest issue is if you're phone's radios are compatible with the Japanese carriers' bands. Look up what specific model of 5s you have and compare it to the big three's LTE bands. IIRC from the 5s and up they're mostly fine (I haven't checked myself) - the Softbank, AU, and Docomo are still fairly strict about forcing their phones and 2 year contracts on people, but the MVNO (resellers) use their networks.

You can always get a "sim-free" phone and get a similar sim-only plan later on if your 5s doesn't work. There's a fairly wide variety of options now, especially compared with 2012-2013.

JPNLKatie
July 20th, 2016, 14:19
Yes, you can just get sim-only plans fairly easily. The biggest issue is if you're phone's radios are compatible with the Japanese carriers' bands. Look up what specific model of 5s you have and compare it to the big three's LTE bands. IIRC from the 5s and up they're mostly fine (I haven't checked myself) - the Softbank, AU, and Docomo are still fairly strict about forcing their phones and 2 year contracts on people, but the MVNO (resellers) use their networks.

You can always get a "sim-free" phone and get a similar sim-only plan later on if your 5s doesn't work. There's a fairly wide variety of options now, especially compared with 2012-2013.

I have a 5c actually, not a 5s. The model is A1456. I tried looking this up earlier but couldn't find anything on this particular model of the 5c.

Ini
July 20th, 2016, 14:24
iPhone 5c (CDMA/US/Japan/A1456) 8, 16, 32 GB Specs (iPhone 5c, A1456, ME565LL/A*, 2644*, iPhone5,3) @ EveryiPhone.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/specs/apple-iphone-5c-a1456-cdma-sprint-kddi-softbank-specs.html)

should work on the AU and Softbank network

JPNLKatie
July 20th, 2016, 15:01
iPhone 5c (CDMA/US/Japan/A1456) 8, 16, 32 GB Specs (iPhone 5c, A1456, ME565LL/A*, 2644*, iPhone5,3) @ EveryiPhone.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/specs/apple-iphone-5c-a1456-cdma-sprint-kddi-softbank-specs.html)

should work on the AU and Softbank network

Woah, this link was super helpful! Thanks Ini!

JPNLKatie
July 21st, 2016, 00:13
Ok, I have decided I'm going to try the Sims card thing when I arrive. I have a question though. I will still have service with sprint up til August 20th, but I plan to get the international sim as soon as possible after I arrive at my placement. Will the overlap in service be an issue? I don't really understand much about how sims cards work, but I'm guessing the sprint (domestic) service will be disabled once I remove the sprint sim? I just don't want to turn airplane mode off on my phone after I insert the Japanese sim and then get hit with international roaming fees from sprint.

webstaa
July 21st, 2016, 08:37
Ok, I have decided I'm going to try the Sims card thing when I arrive...

Shouldn't be an issue - just take the Sprint card out of your phone and et voilĂ  - the phone can't connect with the Sprint credentials. In fact, with out a sim card, you can connect to any network - but only to emergency services.

JPNLKatie
July 25th, 2016, 15:42
Hey again. Just a thread update.

I've been researching sims like crazy over the last couple days and I think I pretty much got it figured out. Appling for and obtaining a SIMS card is a lot easier than people made it out to be. I have pretty much decided on this sim from bic camera: http://www.biccamera.com/bc/disp/CSfGoodsPage_001.jsp?GOODS_NO=1993050

I'm going for the BIC Camera, IIJ sim, with Data + Voice. The only thing left to decide now is to either get the 6GB data/month plan for 2,220 yen/month, or the 10GB data/month plan for 3,260 yen/month. I'm not sure which one to go for. Which do you guys recommend?

Ini
July 25th, 2016, 16:00
depends if you will need/want to tether your laptop and/or tablet. if you can use the school internet while at work 6gb is probably enough. if you are sharing it accross multiple devices on a regular basis you'll probably want 10

JPNLKatie
July 25th, 2016, 16:20
depends if you will need/want to tether your laptop and/or tablet. if you can use the school internet while at work 6gb is probably enough. if you are sharing it accross multiple devices on a regular basis you'll probably want 10

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. My school pred told me that the school doesn't have wifi, so I'll need to use my phone to tether to my kindle and 3ds. I'll also probably be doing a lot of tethering to my laptop during the first month while I'm waiting to get my apartment internet set up.

Alright, 10gb plan it is. It's only $10 a month extra anyway.

Ini
July 25th, 2016, 17:30
Why would you be using a kindle or 3ds at work?

JPNLKatie
July 25th, 2016, 17:36
Why would you be using a kindle or 3ds at work?

no, I meant at home. Even when I get my internet for my apartment set up, it will most likely only work through lan cable (unless I buy and set up a wireless router), and I need a way to connect my kindle and 3ds to the internet in order to download more books/games. The 3ds and kindle don't have Ethernet ports so being able to use my phone's tethering function will solve that issue.

Jiggit - Japanese Study

johnny
August 2nd, 2016, 16:39

Amen. I didn't get access to the Internet at my schools, and I burned through a lot of data doing my work.

no, I meant at home. Even when I get my internet for my apartment set up, it will most likely only work through lan cable (unless I buy and set up a wireless router), and I need a way to connect my kindle and 3ds to the internet in order to download more books/games. The 3ds and kindle don't have Ethernet ports so being able to use my phone's tethering function will solve that issue.

Yeah, but if your ISP's modem doesn't come WiFi ready, you can buy a router for less that $50 CAD. It's pretty easy to set up.