PDA

View Full Version : SIM Cards and Mobile Phones

Fyrey
May 24th, 2004, 11:09
Greetings all, I noticed someone else has posted something similar, but my question is slightly different.

I have a phone which I know will work in Japan (i.e. its quad band) however I'm on Orange, and those lovely people there have told me that if I'm going to make a call from Japan to anywhere, regardless if its local or International its going to cost me at least £1.15 a minute. Ouch. Furthermore, if anyone tries to call me its going to cost me £0.90 a minute just to receive the call. Ouch Ouch.

Clearly I'm being fucked harder than a male Jennifer Lopez lookalike in a shared prison cell by the telecommunication companies.

As I understand it, Japanese mobile/cell phone tariffs aren't exactly cheap, but nonetheless won't completely humiliate me bukkake style like Orange is trying to do. :evil:

Is it possible, provided I unlocked my phone here in the UK before I left to just get a Pay as you Go style sim card there? and then just slot it into my phone? I'm not particularly bothered about having the latest ketai, just about being able to make calls.

(although obviously I'll get the ketai bug and splash out on one - because I'm a bloody gadget freak.... but I want Skyline first :D )

zkac054
May 24th, 2004, 15:12
Hey Fyrey, well there are vodafones here which have SIM cards, even the pay as you go version. However they are calling them USIM cards. Frankly I don't know what the difference is and I have never tried to using it, even though I brought my phone with me (which is unlocked).

If it won't cost you much to unlock the phone you could always do that and bring it here anyway (always good for self-intros) and besides you might be able to use it when you go traveling near by (such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Thailand)

Alpot
May 24th, 2004, 16:06
Hey. I would recommend getting a mobile in Japan. Last time I was there I was a student, so had a slightly cheaper rate, but it cost me about 1 yen to chat (like texting), 3 yen to send e-mails, and as far as I know nothing to receive calls from home. I never called home from it, I just use phone cards. I recommend everyone going to Japan to get a Japanese mobile because they are so useful for texting everyone you'll meet out there. You can also check hotmail etc on them. They always have loads of free phones which are a few months old, but you can pay lots for a really up-to-date one. If you do get one, I suggest you get a bilingual one. I didn't (the people in the shop thought it was when they sold it to me!), and although I managed ok in the end, it was a major hassle at first!