PDA

View Full Version : Any '17/18 aspirers out there?

LeBron
August 9th, 2016, 21:29
Hi all!

I'm Le Bron! Infrequent lurker and new member, from the oh-so, not sunny UK!

Quick question. Do we have anyone looking to apply this year for the '17/18 intake?

If so, it'd be nice to get talking to some people who'd like to do it :^_^:

Eibig
August 10th, 2016, 08:49
Hi! I'm getting ready to apply for 2017, too.

Do you know what position you'll go for yet? I'm aiming for CIR.

ALTInsiderFY
August 10th, 2016, 23:55
Good luck guys/gals. Start/Intensify your Japanese studying now!

Cheese
August 11th, 2016, 01:20
I was gonna but then I went and got impregnated, so I'm pushing my application back a few years. Good luck!

Eibig
August 11th, 2016, 04:57
Anyone heard of JET coordinators who we can talk to during the application process?

I thought that the only communication channels we got before getting a placement were from embassies/consulates, and only receptive?

Also, for US applicants, do we need a letter of reference from a professor if we're currently in university?

GATTACA
August 12th, 2016, 01:53
Hi!

I'm a hopeful applying for 2017 as well. I am a frequent lurker and newbie member here :)

Is anyone else trying to cram as much Japanese as they can into their heads as well? I understand so much, but there is so much more that I don't.

elmaldito
August 12th, 2016, 22:24
Anyone heard of JET coordinators who we can talk to during the application process?

I thought that the only communication channels we got before getting a placement were from embassies/consulates, and only receptive?

Also, for US applicants, do we need a letter of reference from a professor if we're currently in university?

There used to be 2 as far as I remember: Miami and SF but they don't seem to post anymore

For example last time the Miami coordinator posted was June 2015
View Profile: miamicoordinator - ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/members/8071-miamicoordinator?tab=activitystream&type=all)

And same for SF Coordinator
ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/search.php?searchid=845831)

Anyone know why they both appeared to stop posting about the same time?

Shincantsen
August 12th, 2016, 22:34

You can always just call or email your local consulate's coordinator if you have specific questions. They're generally pretty happy to answer, as long as the questions aren't easily google-able.

Zolrak 22
August 13th, 2016, 00:28
There used to be 2 as far as I remember: Miami and SF but they don't seem to post anymore

Anyone know why they both appeared to stop posting about the same time?

Miami stopped working as a coordinator. They left the login details for the next person, but I don't think they decided to do the same.

elmaldito
August 13th, 2016, 02:26
Miami stopped working as a coordinator. They left the login details for the next person, but I don't think they decided to do the same.

Thanks for the info Zolrak.

Eibig
August 21st, 2016, 13:09
That's cool that they were open.

I asked because I saw some people talking about contacting JET coordinators to help with the application process like mentors, and I was like I don't think that they even have that kind of time for every applicant.

Thekatelynn
August 27th, 2016, 10:30
Im trying for 17-18 this year too. 2nd year applying.

phthalocyanine
December 20th, 2016, 17:44
hi! anyone around? i'm reviving this thread, i guess.
anyway, i'm from canada and will be applying for an ALT position for 2017/18. i've known about jet for a long time and have always thought about applying, looks like this upcoming year will be the one!