PDA

View Full Version : Working with a JTE who doesn't speak English

Hypno-Bro
September 2nd, 2016, 09:34
tl;dr - I need help. My JTEs do not speak English - how do I explain games/activities/lesson plans to them.

Hey guys, hope all is well.

I have a question about working with JTEs who do not speak English at all.

What is the most effective way to use them in class? And what is the most effective way to have them help me teach the class? Obviously I can speak with them ("speak") before class and do my best to get them on the same page as me but what happens when I cannot do that in my Elementary school which I only visit once a week; and more likely than not, I will not have time to speak with them before my classes begin that day.

So what are the best ways y'all have found to get the JTE on the same page with you during class?

It sucks because to have a JTE who does not speak English really restricts me on what activities I can do. I feel that I cannot pick basic games/activities that require just a little bit more detail and explanation to the students because my JTE would not be able to explain it. (At least, that is how I feel - am I underestimating my JTE's abilities?) It certainly does not help to have both my class and JTE confused, know what I mean?

Any ideas, experience, or advice you can share with me?

Thanks guys.

Oh yea, frap is still cool. All hail Frap.

Ini
September 2nd, 2016, 12:13
arrange to go to the elementary the night before to meet with the teachers to discuss the next days lessons. While you are there you can double check the schedule so you wont have any unexpected surprises.

GodInStrafeMode
September 5th, 2016, 10:59
My JTEs do not speak English.
Oh Japan, never change <3

acpc2203
September 6th, 2016, 15:41
Oddly enough some of the elementary school teachers I teach with use more english in the classroom than the middle school JTEs.

OatsCurrySummer
September 6th, 2016, 15:50
Oddly enough some of the elementary school teachers I teach with use more english in the classroom than the middle school JTEs.
Can confirm, as was the case with my first JTE. Thankfully I only had to work with her a for a month before my new, awesome JTE moved here.

Also. Why are we answering common JET questions that so obviously belong to Frap's side account?

Jiggit
September 6th, 2016, 15:53
Is no one going to point out that elementary schools don't have JTEs?

Wasabi
September 7th, 2016, 13:38
Get better at Japanese. Unless you expect them to improve their English... Ha.

Honestly at ES kids are fine playing really simple games. Try to build up a repertoire of games that you can use in a wide variety of situations and cycle through them. I had the same issue at ES and really if you're into it and are super genki the kids don't care if it's karuta again or eraser man etc.

cloa513
October 10th, 2016, 10:56
How about read English? If read then give them simple English with some Japanese lesson plans for next time. Script them for actions. Demonstrate how to play the games.

alee50
April 9th, 2017, 22:04
Aren't there no JTEs in elementary schools??? If they do have, then there's no need for ALTs. But, I'm guessing you're teaching with an HRT.

First, doesn't your school have pre-made lesson plans in English and in Japanese. If so, use them and give a copy of the Japanese version to your HRT. Their lessons are usually in the school's server, so ask them!

But, if you making your own lessons, be patient. They can probably understand you, but they can't communicate back as well as they like to. And, you might want to learn some Japanese.

Ini
April 10th, 2017, 08:28
And, you might want to learn some Japanese.

I'd start with learning English if I were you.

mothy
April 10th, 2017, 09:06
They can probably understand you, but they can't communicate back as well as they like to.

Why has this myth about japanese people become a thing? No, most of them can't understand you if you're speaking english.

Jiggit
April 10th, 2017, 11:32
I dunno, a lot of people could understand if they listened carefully, they just freak out when they hear an American accent going way too fast and pronouncing rhotic sounds. Speak to them like you're a Blue Peter presenter and they do alright.