PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Hopefuls/applicants self-intro thread

Madjawa
September 29th, 2016, 09:40
Good evening all,

Aside from the specific country-based threads for general QA, I thought it might be nice to have a general self-intro thread for us new, shiny, slightly-less-cynical JET hopefuls (and those re-applying!) for 2017.

Guess I'll start,

I'm madjawa, super-senior in college, fresh off a year studying abroad in Tokyo. Hobbies are making (and drinking) cocktails, gaming (tabletop and video), web design, and music.
Nice to meetcha.

jaejoa
September 29th, 2016, 10:30
Yeah sure, why not?

I'm a recent university graduate hoping to someday escape the great Canadian wilderness. This year I was an alternate and because I had such a great experience as one thanks to my consulate I'm pretty stoked to be reapplying. Never been to Japan but have a lot of friends scattered across the country. My hobbies include volunteering, creative writing, listening to a lot of music, collecting stuff, watching dramas and reading. I want to move somewhere I can learn archery and dancing. I have a weird love for a lot of Japanese bands and hate J-pop.

MayaMay
September 30th, 2016, 18:51
Good evening all,

Aside from the specific country-based threads for general QA, I thought it might be nice to have a general self-intro thread for us new, shiny, slightly-less-cynical JET hopefuls (and those re-applying!) for 2017.

Guess I'll start,

I'm madjawa, super-senior in college, fresh off a year studying abroad in Tokyo. Hobbies are making (and drinking) cocktails, gaming (tabletop and video), web design, and music.
Nice to meetcha.
I am an almost Science graduate from SA.

I'm into gaming (mostly PS3 and 4).
I like anime and manga.
The games I'm into are fantasy based. Some of them Japanese.

Also enjoy reading/watching sci-fi and horror. I love j-horror and looking forward to any related events that may be held in Japan.

Also heavily into nature conservation and hope to go down that path after JET.

cm2jr4
October 1st, 2016, 09:11
Hi all, I'm cm2jr4. I did JET in 2009-2011, and decided to apply for CIR this year just to try to give myself some more options.

TweedPawn
October 3rd, 2016, 03:58
Hello ITIL! It's been years.

I'm sort of a unique applicant. This is my fourth time applying (Never give up, never surrender!) and I think this year will be my best shot. I spent an entire semester substituting for a teacher on maternity leave who had ESL classes, and I also balanced teaching at a non-profit, whoo-hoo! The big thing is that I'm iffy on my references and I'm hoping to get as much feed back as possible. A big thing I'm nervous about is that after the school year let out, I moved to Los Angeles. IT's been great for exposure to Japanese culture but it means that I've been mostly temping until I got something reliable. Any way I can spin this as an "opportunity to broaden my horizons and experiences" ?

Things I love:

rabbits,
studying (no really)
cooking
animation (I got my degree in animation)

Looking forward to hanging out on here again!

mothy
October 3rd, 2016, 10:40
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

RPGDemaker
October 3rd, 2016, 10:43
Heya. I'm RPGDemaker, developer extraordinaire. I'm a relatively recent computer science graduate and am giving this whole JET thing another shot. I applied shortly after graduation but failed to make the cut. So I'm hoping to make it in for round two this time with more oomph.

I've been growing an interest in retro-computing but primarily i'm interested in indie development, modding and general niche games.

mrcharisma
October 3rd, 2016, 16:34
I've been growing an interest in retro-computing but primarily i'm interested in indie development, modding and general niche games.

Some highly relevant skills for your ALT career there!

mothy
October 3rd, 2016, 16:46
Only the worst kinds of JETs have interests relevant to JETing.

elmaldito
October 4th, 2016, 03:08
Hello ITIL! It's been years.

I'm sort of a unique applicant. This is my fourth time applying (Never give up, never surrender!) and I think this year will be my best shot. I spent an entire semester substituting for a teacher on maternity leave who had ESL classes, and I also balanced teaching at a non-profit, whoo-hoo! The big thing is that I'm iffy on my references and I'm hoping to get as much feed back as possible. A big thing I'm nervous about is that after the school year let out, I moved to Los Angeles. IT's been great for exposure to Japanese culture but it means that I've been mostly temping until I got something reliable. Any way I can spin this as an "opportunity to broaden my horizons and experiences" ?

I admire your persistence, but after failing three times I'd say there's something major that's affecting your chances and it's best finding out what that is and fixing it or accepting that you're not destined for JET.

Did you get feedback of any kind?
Why do you want to do JET?
Are you very bad at interviews? I mean how did the JET interviews go? Or did you not get that far?

Three times and failing doesn't sound good to me. "What's going to be different this year?", that's what you've got to ask yourself!

What does "iffy" on references mean? Does it mean you don't have good references?

MayaMay
October 4th, 2016, 04:37
Wow! Great that you have such a positive attitude, I hope you make it in this time around.

If I may ask, the previous times that you have applied, were you given an interview and were you made alternate or rejected?

hohoEMI
October 14th, 2016, 02:05
Hello everyone :)
I'm slightly late to the party, but I'd like to make a self-introduction nevertheless.

I’m hohoEMI, a Singaporean who’s about to finish a degree in communications. Hobbies include language learning, gaming (both tabletop and consoles), reading tons of books, and enjoying great music. I’m applying for a CIR position :)

Monty
October 19th, 2016, 22:11
Hi All,

Monty here, applying via the UK JET Programme, to start in 2017!

Graduated in 2010 (BSc Computer Science), worked in IT for 3 years in the UK but wanted a change in life. Ended up teaching English at schools in Thailand for a year (Secondary and Primary Students) and at a private school (owned by a certain famous mouse) in China for 15 months. Moved to Australia, November 2015 on a working holiday visa. Currently in Sydney, so had to post my application to London....sigh. Best of luck everyone :-)

Currently hold a TEFL/TESOL, TEFL-C (Advanced) and a CELTA

Hobbies include: Travelling, Scuba Diving, Martial Arts, Skiing, Gym'in, Running, Chilling

Frap
October 20th, 2016, 08:04
Hobbies include: Travelling, Scuba Diving, Martial Arts, Skiing, Gym'in, Running, Chilling

remember those

never have i been asked "what are your hobbies?" as much as my first few months in japAn

started to just make stuff up cause i didnt wanna sound boring

The Buddha Hulk
October 23rd, 2016, 11:01
Hi Team,

I'm Starkey - 30 year old Aussie applying for the first time. I'm an English teacher hoping to expand my skills into Japan and eventually an international school.
I've travelled most of Europe and I'm keen into BBQ and brewing beer.

Monty
October 23rd, 2016, 18:37
Hi Team,

I'm Starkey - 30 year old Aussie applying for the first time. I'm an English teacher hoping to expand my skills into Japan and eventually an international school.

Sweet, where in Australia are you mate? I am currently in Sydney but fly to Cairns on the 29th of October to spend my final week in Australia up at the Great Barrier Reef. If you're about in Sydney at all this week.....fancy a beer?

The Buddha Hulk
October 23rd, 2016, 18:38
Sweet, where in Australia are you mate? I am currently in Sydney but fly to Cairns on the 29th of October to spend my final week in Australia up at the Great Barrier Reef. If you're about in Sydney at all this week.....fancy a beer?

Mate, I would love to but I'm down in Adelaide.
Where are you off too after oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monty
October 23rd, 2016, 18:50
No probs mate... who knows maybe see you in Japan if we both get lucky! I too am a 30 year-old. Happy to share Facebook if you like?

I will try not make you too jealous with my current plans:
29th October - 6th November: Cairns/Port Douglas (Scuba diving and running Great Barrier Reef Half Marathon)
6th November - 12th November: Bali (Chilling)
12th November - 14th November: Kuala Lumpur (Travel Hub)
15th November - 27th November: China (I need to go back to try get a Police Clearance Certificate from when I worked there, as I will need it should I get accepted to JET. But also catch up with some friends)
27th November - 17th December: Philippines (Cannot wait to get back there!!!)
17th December - 20th December: Kuala Lumpur (Travel Hub)
20th December: Back to UK :-( after 3 and half years away. But going back on the hope that I get accepted, as I will have to interview there. If I don't get accepted, I need to get a new passport anyway (running out of pages and expires Jan 2018). Kinda putting all my eggs in the JET basket at the moment, if I don't get accepted I will worry about it when the time comes.....

The Buddha Hulk
October 23rd, 2016, 19:13
No probs mate... who knows maybe see you in Japan if we both get lucky! I too am a 30 year-old. Happy to share Facebook if you like?

29th October - 6th November: Cairns/Port Douglas (Scuba diving and running Great Barrier Reef Half Marathon)
15th November - 27th November: China (I need to go back to try get a Police Clearance Certificate from when I worked there, as I will need it should I get accepted to JET. But also catch up with some friends)
20th December: Back to UK :-( after 3 and half years away. But going back on the hope that I get accepted, as I will have to interview there. If I don't get accepted, I need to get a new passport anyway (running out of pages and expires Jan 2018). Kinda putting all my eggs in the JET basket at the moment, if I don't get accepted I will worry about it when the time comes.....

Haha you failed... I'm peanut butter and jealous.

That sounds great mate, add away. Name is Paul Starkey.

Likewise for anyone else who is keen to add me. We can discuss and help each other out during the application process.

Wild Rover
October 30th, 2016, 09:45
Tom, 22
BA in applied linguistics

Gym, clubs, words, snow

Supes
October 31st, 2016, 02:14
Hey all! Let's see Name: David Education: A year out of the university with a bachelors Career: Working around Seattle on little, independent film sets (translation: volunteering on people's hobby projects) Hobbies: Reading, Photography, Hiking, Movies,Superheroes, Star Wars, Pop Culture in general *hopes he answered everything, types some meta bs just in case*

Isola
November 1st, 2016, 08:08
I hope that's not your real name that you're posting here?

Supes
November 1st, 2016, 08:19
Haven't we been using real names? Or did I miss something?

Jiggit
November 1st, 2016, 08:34
Haven't we been using real names? Or did I miss something?
If you saw a pair of Bogans jump off a cliff, would you copy them?

acpc2203
November 1st, 2016, 08:48
If you saw a pair of Bogans jump off a cliff, would you copy them?
what's a bogan?

The Buddha Hulk
November 1st, 2016, 08:56
what's a bogan?

Think like a Australian hill billy/red neck.

They are the worst type of Australian - ignorant, racist, sexist... etc

Jiggit
November 1st, 2016, 11:25
Think like a Australian hill billy/red neck.

They are the worst type of Australian - ignorant, racist, sexist... etc
OK but how do you tell them apart from the rest?

mothy
November 1st, 2016, 11:54

Zing!

But yeah people, I'd say don't use real names. One of the advantages of using a place like ITIL is that you're anonymous and can ask questions/make complaints that you wouldn't necessarily want just anyone seeing.

acpc2203
November 1st, 2016, 13:36
wait your real name isn't mothy?

mothy
November 1st, 2016, 14:21
It's actually Buggy.

Wild Rover
November 1st, 2016, 15:48

What's with all the old people applying?

acpc2203
November 1st, 2016, 16:03
It's actually Buggy.
I think I know your father

mothy
November 1st, 2016, 16:11

Old people do things too.

mothy
November 1st, 2016, 16:14
Hey all! Let's see Name: David Education: A year out of the university with a bachelors Career: Working around Seattle on little, independent film sets (translation: volunteering on people's hobby projects) Hobbies: Reading, Photography, Hiking, Movies,Superheroes, Star Wars, Pop Culture in general *hopes he answered everything, types some meta bs just in case*

Oh, hey. Didn't see the mention of Seattle before. I also was from Seattle in the long ago before Japan.

Frap
November 1st, 2016, 16:16

ikr?

Hi Team,

mothy
November 1st, 2016, 16:17
Are you sure they aren't a father son team?

Monty
November 1st, 2016, 20:01

Australian + Support for Donald Trump = Bogan

Monty
November 1st, 2016, 20:05

Age is only a number my friend ;-)

We "old people" are wiser and won't go crying home to mummy and daddy, as we are immune to culture shock :-p

OatsCurrySummer
November 1st, 2016, 20:09
Age is only a number my friend ;-)

We "old people" are wiser and won't go crying home to mummy and daddy, as we are immune to culture shock :-p
Really? Because the way you substitute sideways smileys instead of actual punctuation suggests that you are in fact a 13 year old girl on msn.

Monty
November 1st, 2016, 20:21
Really? Because the way you substitute sideways smileys instead of actual punctuation suggests that you are in fact a 13 year old girl on msn.

Are sideway smileys no longer in? Damn...back in my day everyone was doing them!

Does MSN even still exist?

BifCarbet
November 1st, 2016, 20:58
Hi all, I'm cm2jr4. I did JET in 2009-2011, and decided to apply for CIR this year just to try to give myself some more options.

Huh.

tamama
November 2nd, 2016, 20:16
Hey, I'm Tamama. I'm a Linguistics major applying for the CIR position. First learned about JET when I was an exchange student in high school down near Kumamoto and had the... interesting experience of being 'taught' English by an ALT. Hobbies include video games, writing, fan translation projects, and being a general nerd about linguistics especially in the realm of semantics and discourse analysis.

katamadama
November 17th, 2016, 14:09
Hi, everyone! I recently graduated with my BA in Anthropology and Japanese, and I'm currently taking informal Japanese classes and doing some part-time work. I really enjoy video games and I want to localize them someday (adventure, story, visual novel, experimental/indie, puzzle, rpg, and more...buuuuut I'm not into competitive/multiplayer at all, save for occasional sessions with friends). I also like board & tabletop gaming, cartoons, manga, cooking, beading, animals, and bugs. ✌

mothy
November 17th, 2016, 16:20
Sounds like a future JET to me.

Jiggit
November 17th, 2016, 22:55
He'll be complaining about not being properly utilized at work and microaggressions in no time!

mrcharisma
November 18th, 2016, 05:14
He's definitely single, that's all I can tell.

Jiggit
November 18th, 2016, 09:09
Is he ready to bingo?

tamama
November 18th, 2016, 09:31
Is he ready to bingo?

I had to google what that meant and now I'm getting 'nam flashbacks because I saw a picture of Super Junior o.o

mrcharisma
November 18th, 2016, 09:32
Is he ready to bingo?

Bingo sounds good. A 3x3 board to start with. Cross one off each time an incomer mentions or alludes to one of the following:

- manga!
- randomness!
- traditional Japanese hobbies!
- JLPT ambitions!
- underlying emotional damage!
- cards against humanity!
- cosplay!
- unrealistic job expectations!
- what do I bring the janitor as omiyage?!

Bonus points if they pepper their post with poorly-translated kanji / kana.

acpc2203
November 18th, 2016, 10:19
Real talk, how do I become a school janitor in Japan? That is my life goal but people just laugh when I say that ;_;.

mothy
November 18th, 2016, 11:19
Drop out of high school.

Ini
November 18th, 2016, 11:40
apply to a local BOE when they are advertising for a janitor. its not the most coveted of positions.

acpc2203
November 18th, 2016, 11:50
Will do. Should I mention my Masters in the Custodial Arts? Worried about being labeled as overqualified.

Madjawa
November 18th, 2016, 23:50
Will do. Should I mention my Masters in the Custodial Arts? Worried about being labeled as overqualified.

Of course not, they want you as inexperienced as possible so they can "train you the right way."

hopefulltraveller
November 29th, 2016, 17:26
By some miracle I managed to get my application in before the UK deadline (sent guaranteed next day delivery the day beforehand...). It was annoying because the reason was I was hospitalised with a tropical diseases after returning from a summer in India and had to get my doctors to verify I am now fit and well. If it wasn't for that, I wouldve had no issues! I can't wait to hear back to the point where I'm dreaming about getting an interview invite.. If I don't get in, my back up plan is China. What about anybody else? Also I put no preference for the regional preferences ... I don't know if they'd see that as good or bad !

Monty
November 30th, 2016, 12:03
Tropical Disease? Sounds like you got a case of the fabled Delhi-belly haha. I used to teach in China and it was a great and unique experience let me know if all fails and I can give you some advice.... however, hopefully see you in the interview hall in London! haha - unless you're one of those Scottish applicants?

hopefulltraveller
November 30th, 2016, 17:53
Tropical Disease? Sounds like you got a case of the fabled Delhi-belly haha. I used to teach in China and it was a great and unique experience let me know if all fails and I can give you some advice.... however, hopefully see you in the interview hall in London! haha - unless you're one of those Scottish applicants?

Haha, it wasn't Delhi Belly it was an actual tropical disease, dengue fever. I was in intensive care for a week! Awesome, id love to hear about China! I don't know which my heart is set on yet, both look like fantastic countries. And no, I'm not a Scott , I live in Essex! So hopefully see you at the interviews ! Really hope I hear back soon....

mrcharisma
December 1st, 2016, 08:56
Or Northern English, some of them get sent up to Edinburgh.

Couple of years ago I interviewed a little cracker of a Geordie fresh out of uni in Edinburgh. Got to know her pretty well!

Frap
December 1st, 2016, 09:28
raunch

Monty
December 1st, 2016, 11:10
Haha, it wasn't Delhi Belly it was an actual tropical disease, dengue fever. I was in intensive care for a week! Awesome, id love to hear about China! I don't know which my heart is set on yet, both look like fantastic countries. And no, I'm not a Scott , I live in Essex! So hopefully see you at the interviews ! Really hope I hear back soon....

Essex, nice I am a Sussex lad myself. But ouch on the Denque that stuff is bad! I've been lucky not to get it considering I have spent a lot of time in SE Asia and Mosquitos love my blood. Yea, this waiting is gonna kill me too as I really want in on JET as should be a sweet new adventure and a great way to experience Japanese culture. Kinda putting all my eggs into the JET basket.....only like what 2 more agonising months of waiting now?

Drop me a PM with your Facebook. Will be able to tell you all about China there...as don't want to bore people about China adventures on a Japan forum. Also, I spent a year teaching in Thailand, if Thailand interests you at all too?

Hopefully, both of us will get an interview and then maybe see you in the Embassy whilst waiting, however I think the odds for that would be crazy!

Monty
December 1st, 2016, 11:15
Or Northern English, some of them get sent up to Edinburgh.

Couple of years ago I interviewed a little cracker of a Geordie fresh out of uni in Edinburgh. Got to know her pretty well!

Probably because the poor soles at the Embassy in London cannot understand half their accents, unless they watch a whole series of Game of Thrones first. Yorkshire peeps be like "Goin t'JET interview"

Frap
December 1st, 2016, 11:18
Probably because the poor soles at the Embassy in London cannot understand half their accents, unless they watch a whole series of Game of Thrones first. Yorkshire peeps be like "Goin t'JET interview"

classic southerner

mrcharisma
December 1st, 2016, 17:37

What a twat.

Monty
December 1st, 2016, 17:48
What a twat.

Cmon play nice, I love you Northerners really. Don't take it to heart, its only what, a 1000 year old bit of banter between the north and south?

mrcharisma
December 1st, 2016, 18:44
Cmon play nice, I love you Northerners really. Don't take it to heart, its only what, a 1000 year old bit of banter between the north and south?

Not actually a "Northerner" as such I'm from Edinburgh. The only people I irrationally resent are from Glasgow.

Monty
December 1st, 2016, 19:06
Not actually a "Northerner" as such I'm from Edinburgh. The only people I irrationally resent are from Glasgow.

Oh gotcha, I must apologise....just assumed the picture of Thatcher en all..... Any consolation, I actually think the Edinburgh accent is possibly the best accent north of the Watford gap, assuming we are talking about the UK and not England.

Just thank your lucky stars we are not from the Midlands! I spent 7 years in Coventry during and post University. Neither North or South want to claim ownership of them haha

mothy
December 1st, 2016, 20:03
I spent some time in coventry.

I wish there were more ITIL old timers around to get that reference.

Monty
December 1st, 2016, 20:13
I spent some time in coventry.

I wish there were more ITIL old timers around to get that reference.

I must say though, Coventry did have its charm and will always hold a place in my heart as had many good times there during and after University. Also the city did actually improve a lot! I was there 2005-2012. If you ever have to spend time there again check out this amazing bar called "Quids Inn", assuming it's still there. I kid you not, best bar in the world!.....and I have been to quite a few bars around the world to compare it to.

mrcharisma
December 1st, 2016, 22:41
Oh gotcha, I must apologise....just assumed the picture of Thatcher en all..... Any consolation, I actually think the Edinburgh accent is possibly the best accent north of the Watford gap, assuming we are talking about the UK and not England.

Just thank your lucky stars we are not from the Midlands! I spent 7 years in Coventry during and post University. Neither North or South want to claim ownership of them haha

Can't work out if you're a troll or just inherently awful!

Monty
December 4th, 2016, 11:50
Can't work out if you're a troll or just inherently awful!

Neither really. Its just a bit of fun/banter between the different regions of England, we all give it out to each other. Sorry if I actually offended anyone as that was not the purpose.

mrcharisma
December 4th, 2016, 12:34
Neither really. Its just a bit of fun/banter between the different regions of England, we all give it out to each other. Sorry if I actually offended anyone as that was not the purpose.

It wasn't really offensive. Being patronised about my local accent by someone who went to Coventry University was bordering on hilarious.

Monty
December 4th, 2016, 20:14
It wasn't really offensive. Being patronised about my local accent by someone who went to Coventry University was bordering on hilarious.

Haha, touche! you win. However, I may have actually gone to Warwick University as that is also in Coventry too.....

But, I must say Coventry University is slowly working its way up the ranks of Universities within the UK.

Ini
December 4th, 2016, 20:42
I wouldn't admit to going to either.... Generally speaking if your university is younger than the lecturers it's not really a center of excellence.

Jiggit
December 4th, 2016, 20:53
Mine was older than the Aztecs.

Monty
December 4th, 2016, 21:12
I wouldn't admit to going to either.... Generally speaking if your university is younger than the lecturers it's not really a center of excellence.

Does having a CELTA allow me to say that I attended The University of Cambridge?....even though I took the course the other side of the world in Australia!

Jiggit
December 4th, 2016, 21:46
It does not.

Frap
December 5th, 2016, 08:46

looool

mothy
December 5th, 2016, 09:56
Now, now. We're all equals on JET.

Frap
December 5th, 2016, 10:41
Now, now. We're all equals on JET.

that's the meanest thing you've ever said

Zolrak 22
December 11th, 2016, 11:22
that's the meanest thing you've ever said
Everyone is equally awful in their own special way.

Some are just more special than others. [emoji75]

nikol
December 20th, 2016, 12:22
Hello fellow JET hopefuls,

I'm also late to the party but I thought I would still introduce myself. I'm a Canadian currently working at a private English academy in South Korea and I've been here for 2.5 years. I graduated in 2010 with a BSc in Biology and then worked as an assistant manager at a gym for 4 years. I have my TEFL certificate and I am the head foreign teacher at my current job. My hobbies include watching a copious amount of anime, reading manga, working out, travelling, and hiking. I've travelled to Japan three times. My amazing experiences there encouraged me to make the jump from my current job.

I was wondering if anyone else is applying from abroad like I am. My director is a little frustrated as I can't tell her when I need my vacation because I won't find out about my interview until the end of January and the interview will take place sometime in the beginning of February. Also, buying my ticket to Canada will be quite pricey given that I'm purchasing it last minute. Any thoughts? I don't think anything can be done but to wait it out. However, I would love to here other peoples perspective on the matter. Thanks!

Good luck with your applications everyone!

mrcharisma
December 20th, 2016, 23:25
Heard of this happening before but never anyone who's found a way round it. The main issue is whether you think Jet is worth the $2000 or so you'll need to spend on flights to get to the interview. That's a big chunk of your salary and for no guarantees.

Don't give manga or anime anything more than the most cursory of mentions in the interview / statement.

Monty
December 21st, 2016, 18:35
K
Hello fellow JET hopefuls,

I'm also late to the party but I thought I would still introduce myself. I'm a Canadian currently working at a private English academy in South Korea and I've been here for 2.5 years. I graduated in 2010 with a BSc in Biology and then worked as an assistant manager at a gym for 4 years. I have my TEFL certificate and I am the head foreign teacher at my current job. My hobbies include watching a copious amount of anime, reading manga, working out, travelling, and hiking. I've travelled to Japan three times. My amazing experiences there encouraged me to make the jump from my current job.

I was wondering if anyone else is applying from abroad like I am. My director is a little frustrated as I can't tell her when I need my vacation because I won't find out about my interview until the end of January and the interview will take place sometime in the beginning of February. Also, buying my ticket to Canada will be quite pricey given that I'm purchasing it last minute. Any thoughts? I don't think anything can be done but to wait it out. However, I would love to here other peoples perspective on the matter. Thanks!

Good luck with your applications everyone!

Hey nikol, I actually applied abroad too. It's a chore as the application pack itself is hard enough to compile and then also 10x harder when doing it abroad. For example, one of my references from when I taught in China, now lives in Colombia, so had to get her to post it to Sydney (where I was living at the time) and also I had to get transcripts from my University in the UK and get them to post to Sydney, only for me to post back again with the JET application.

Not only is obtaining the documents harder abroad, but also you have to plan and risk a lot.....

For the flight back to the UK for the interview. I booked that back in July 2016 to fly back 20th December 2016 (I arrived back yesterday and its cold and I only have summer based cloths at the moment!) on the hope I would get offered an interview (which I have!), but even if I did not get offered an interview, I need to renew my passport anyway, so that would have been my back up reason for coming back to the UK if not worked out with JET.

But your situation is a tricky one, as you're currently working. For me I knew I was going to be applying for JET this year, so I finished an Australian working holiday visa in November and just been chilling/travelling cheap South East Asia for the past 6 weeks after leaving Australia (also went to China for 2 weeks to get a PCC, which I will get to further down this post). I have kind of put all my eggs in the JET basket for now, which is risky, but hopefully worth it.

My recommendation to you is make sure JET is what you want (as you seem in a good position in South Korea). if JET is what you then apply, continue to work, if you get offered the interview book a flight then try maybe use holiday but understandable about the uncertainties, and your manager frustrations but at least you should know up to 14 days before interview I think? do you know when Canada will send out notifications? but also another bit of advice! look into sorting a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from South Korea! if accepted onto the JET Programme, you will need a CRB check or PCC from any country that you have lived in for over 12 consecutive months in the past 5 years, for the Japanese visa (That is what it is like for UK JETs anyway). I wish I knew about it when I used to live in China as getting it after leaving the country was a ball ache, I had to go back to China mid November to get one, whilst I was in the Australia/Asia time zones and luckily found cheap flights, I did this once again on the hope that I get accepted because now I am back in the UK and flying to China will cost a lot more IF I get shortlisted around April.....just for a piece of paper that says I committed no crimes in China! so I recommend looking into getting one now'ish.....

mothy
December 22nd, 2016, 09:15
Congrats on the interview, good luck.

My recommendation to you is make sure JET is what you want (as you seem in a good position in South Korea).

This is really important and struck me as I was reading your post, nickel. Your job as a JET would be a step down, or maybe even two or three steps down. JET will pay less, and you'll be in a position with a lot less say over anything than the job you have now. If you carefully consider all that and you want to anyway, then cool. But Korea is pretty damn close to Japan. I think I would just stay in Korea and visit Japan a few times a year if I were in your shoes.

Monty
December 22nd, 2016, 16:42
Congrats on the interview, good luck.

Thank you very much mothy! I got the E-mail on the 14th December and it was like Christmas had come early, as making it passed round 1 I feel is achievement itself. Would be nice to hear if any other UK applicants received their E-mails....

Emjyc
December 31st, 2016, 17:35
Wow I am super late getting in here.

Basically:
Australian, 22, female, Graduated a duel degree with a Bachelor of Arts (Japanese and Linguistics) and Bachelor of Secondary Education. Homestayed in Minokamo, Gifu for 3 months after high school and heard about JET 8 years ago from a mentor who lived there for 13 years as an English teacher (not with JET). Just got the letter informing I've got an interview a few days ago and didn't want to join into discussions until I at least got this far.

That's it basically. Good luck hopefuls.

mothy
January 1st, 2017, 23:36
Good luck with your interview. The only advice that seems true no matter what country you interview from is bring the positive energy.

Tara
January 5th, 2017, 03:58
I studied international business management and currently do service work at a nonprofit that helps refugees--to be as vague as possible. I've wanted to do the JET Program for a while and think it will be a good international working experience I can add to my resume and use to network. Granted, I need to make it in first.

Nice to meet you all.

hamu
January 6th, 2017, 03:38
Hello! I'll be joining the "better late than never" crew with my intro I suppose. :)

I'm 22, from the US, and graduating with my first degree after this semester! I studied abroad in Japan for one year and and am hopeful to return with my husband. JET seemed like a good goal to make when I heard about it in high school, and I'm happy to finally have the chance to apply. Currently, I'm still waiting to hear if I have received an interview or not. Good luck to everyone and nice to meet you!

Frap
January 10th, 2017, 08:12
omg

i'll try and give everybody who got an interview their award but if i forget someone pls tell me

Turtle Scarf
January 10th, 2017, 09:01
Can I have a cookie instead?

Hi all, I'm a 21-year-old graduating senior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. I decided to wait to join the discussion until I recieved an interview, and I just got the email today! I took four semesters of Japanese, but I have gotten rusty in the past six months. I guess it's time to use this month leading up to my interview to brush up on my skills. I've also never been outside of the continental U.S., so I hope the panel considers me worthy of an ALT position.

P.S. I thought message boards were dead and I'm so excited to have found an active one about something I enjoy.

Madjawa
January 10th, 2017, 09:38
Can I have a cookie instead?

Hi all, I'm a 21-year-old graduating senior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. I decided to wait to join the discussion until I recieved an interview, and I just got the email today! I took four semesters of Japanese, but I have gotten rusty in the past six months. I guess it's time to use this month leading up to my interview to brush up on my skills. I've also never been outside of the continental U.S., so I hope the panel considers me worthy of an ALT position.

P.S. I thought message boards were dead and I'm so excited to have found an active one about something I enjoy.

welcome, fellow lurker.
Rumor has it there are even people who still use IRC out there. I think message boards will last a few more winters at least.

mothy
January 10th, 2017, 11:15

An "active" one.

Frap
January 10th, 2017, 11:24
Tumblr (http://fan-tastig.tumblr.com/post/113204426559/musical-theatre-songs-appreciation-im-still-here/embed)

this went wrong sorry

psd25
January 13th, 2017, 06:32
Hi all!

My name is Presilla and I just received the email about an interview! I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'll take this as a small victory if it doesn't end well. I haven't read or know of anyone else in the same boat as me, but I'm currently finishing up at graduate school now, getting my Masters in TESOL. Besides teaching, I love playing the guitar, singing and writing, so I'm ready for a jam sesh if anyone's down! Good luck to everyone waiting/re-applying/got it! :)

nutelladonatella
March 13th, 2017, 06:40
I am veeeery late to this, but I've been lurking on the site for a few hours and decided to join.

21 year old from the UK, currently studying animation in my 2nd year at Staffs Uni. I'm in the process of listing what paperwork I need to submit for October, but I had a really good think about why I actually want to do this, but I feel like I can bring back some awesome cultural knowledge and history (it's a pastime hobby, including other things) whilst bringing whatever the heck is great about the UK to Japan. I always felt the UK doesn't pay much attention to Japan that much in terms of history and our cultural ties which we had in the past. Hobbies include writing prose, reading (currently on my 4th murakami novel), drawing/working on stories and concepts for little animated films/comics (I know this sounds bad already) learning about history and gathering information on historic sites, exercise, going to coffee shops (I love love love coffee culture, i worked as a barista for a couple of years and loved every minute of it), cooking (i'd love to have my own garden for fruits/veggies), collecting art pieces that catch my attention, printmaking/screenprinting. I used to do karate from the age of 6 but quit once I got to college to focus on uni, that really shaped me as a person and the main reason why I'm even interested in Japan.

This is really long winded, apologies, but I always think it's best to not overthink and stress on certain things when applying for the programme but I like the journey of it, and what I can give to others. Hopefully I remind myself to not be a lurker because it's comfortable to observe rather than reach out, otherwise nice to meet you all!

mothy
March 13th, 2017, 09:14
Too... Much... Positivity... Must... Look... Away...

acpc2203
March 13th, 2017, 09:30
Too... Much... Positivity... Must... Look... Away...
Wow that was a close one.

mrcharisma
March 13th, 2017, 09:37
I am veeeery late to this, but I've been lurking on the site for a few hours and decided to join.

21 year old from the UK, currently studying animation in my 2nd year at Staffs Uni. I'm in the process of listing what paperwork I need to submit for October, but I had a really good think about why I actually want to do this, but I feel like I can bring back some awesome cultural knowledge and history (it's a pastime hobby, including other things) whilst bringing whatever the heck is great about the UK to Japan. I always felt the UK doesn't pay much attention to Japan that much in terms of history and our cultural ties which we had in the past. Hobbies include writing prose, reading (currently on my 4th murakami novel), drawing/working on stories and concepts for little animated films/comics (I know this sounds bad already) learning about history and gathering information on historic sites, exercise, going to coffee shops (I love love love coffee culture, i worked as a barista for a couple of years and loved every minute of it), cooking (i'd love to have my own garden for fruits/veggies), collecting art pieces that catch my attention, printmaking/screenprinting. I used to do karate from the age of 6 but quit once I got to college to focus on uni, that really shaped me as a person and the main reason why I'm even interested in Japan.

This is really long winded, apologies, but I always think it's best to not overthink and stress on certain things when applying for the programme but I like the journey of it, and what I can give to others. Hopefully I remind myself to not be a lurker because it's comfortable to observe rather than reach out, otherwise nice to meet you all!

How many double espressos have you had today?

Frap
March 13th, 2017, 09:40

Welcome to the forum! It's good you'll be still at Uni during your application process. The waiting part of it is the worst, so you'll appreciate the distraction.

Also, are you a girl or a gay guy?

acpc2203
March 13th, 2017, 10:40
How many double espressos have you had today?
Not as many as me.

acpc2203
March 13th, 2017, 10:40

Why not both?

OatsCurrySummer
March 13th, 2017, 11:41
Welcome to the forum! It's good you'll be still at Uni during your application process. The waiting part of it is the worst, so you'll appreciate the distraction.

If you're a straight guy, hmu before Japan ruins you.
But welcome!

nutelladonatella
March 14th, 2017, 02:25
A lot...more than I should have.

nutelladonatella
March 14th, 2017, 02:26
Thanks!

And I am a girl, sorry for not clarifying earlier.

Frap
March 14th, 2017, 09:43
are you having fun here? oh god please stay

OatsCurrySummer
March 14th, 2017, 10:06
are you having fun here? oh god please stay

The stench of your desperation will drive her away!!!

nutelladonatella
March 16th, 2017, 06:52
Let it not be said I didn't bring more people to ITIL!!
-Frap probably

When it comes nearer to application time you've got your chance to coax more folks in, heh.

OatsCurrySummer
March 16th, 2017, 07:28
When it comes nearer to application time you've got your chance to coax more folks in, heh.

You'd think so but here's what happens:

>Some starry-eyed weeb will ask some stupid question that's been answered a million times (oh mah gawd, how do I cell phone in Japan?! Do they even have banks? What do?) or in my case, create problems for themselves before they even arrive (my first post was about wanting to continue to be vegan in Japan. Needless to say, I didn't).
>Then their ass gets roasted by the jaded fucks who roam here.
>Then they never come back here, preferring instead the safety of facebook where everyone is supportive and coddles them because they don't have the veil of anonymity to say what they really think (but trust me, they're all talking shit in private chats anyways).

>And then for some unknown reason, probably brain damage, maybe 5% of new users stick around and become the needlessly petty veterans who flamed their ass to a crisp in the first place.

word
March 24th, 2017, 13:28
Stahp describing ITIL so accurately

Madjawa
March 30th, 2017, 07:59
Well, results have been coming in!
I made the short-list. Now for the piles of glorious paperwork!

Frap
March 30th, 2017, 08:09
Congr4ts!