PDA

View Full Version : Moving On~

Frap
October 18th, 2016, 09:20
So, it's creeping up to "Recontracting" Time!

Whether you're a JET or not...

Who has been given their papers for next year?
Who is planning on doing another year and why?
Who is planning on saying no and why?
What are your plans if so? Stay in Japan or go back home?
Anybody not on JET looking for a new job out there?

Let's talk about the future!

OatsCurrySummer
October 18th, 2016, 09:25
Got my papers, going to recontract but only because the money's good, life is cheap and I'd feel like a little bitch for leaving after a year and a half. Had I not been a six-month late upgrade, I'd have no problem calling it a day after two years and returning home to do my Masters.
There's still a lot more to do and experience here, but it's getting harder and harder to ignore the fact that this isn't bringing me any closer to my future career goals. So, I'll stay until 2018.
This is definitely the homesickness talking though.

acpc2203
October 18th, 2016, 09:33
I'll see what I can get out of the BoE since they know my placement is bad.

Frap
October 18th, 2016, 09:39
Got my papers, going to recontract but only because the money's good, life is cheap and I'd feel like a little bitch for leaving after a year and a half. Had I not been a six-month late upgrade, I'd have no problem calling it a day after two years and returning home to do my Masters.
There's still a lot more to do and experience here, but it's getting harder and harder to ignore the fact that this isn't bringing me any closer to my future career goals. So, I'll stay until 2018.
This is definitely the homesickness talking though.

What're you hoping to do a Masters in? What are your future career goals? No plan to be a Nihon Lifer?

I'll see what I can get out of the BoE since they know my placement is bad.

What do you mean?

mothy
October 18th, 2016, 09:54
I'll still be here, cursing younger mothy for not developing skills of any use.

Ini
October 18th, 2016, 10:03
what else am I going to do? I'll be here until the cancer slowly consumes me.

Gizmotech
October 18th, 2016, 10:08
Lifers till death! (Where else am I allowed to be such a raging alcoholic and treated with respect for doing it)

acpc2203
October 18th, 2016, 10:13
What do you mean?
Better coffee and snacks at my base school.

Frap
October 18th, 2016, 10:19
Better coffee and snacks at my base school.

aiming high as always, i see

acpc2203
October 18th, 2016, 10:25
eh pretty sure that is the most i can get

acpc2203
October 18th, 2016, 10:28
Also a better chair.

OatsCurrySummer
October 18th, 2016, 10:44
What're you hoping to do a Masters in? What are your future career goals? No plan to be a Nihon Lifer?
Doing my Masters in Information Sciences because I don't have the time or money to follow through with History until the PhD level. Still haven't decided whether I'm going into Library or Museum stream. With the digitization of texts and the need to preserve them physically, both have a lot of options. Gonna be the most boring two years of my life, learning to use cataloging programs and transcribing texts into digital formats, but once I'm done it'll be a job that constantly brings me into contact with strange objects and their histories.
Realized that I don't have what it takes to be a lifer. I'm an outsider and I can accept that.

mothy
October 18th, 2016, 10:54
I think being able to accept being an outsider is exactly what it takes to be a lifer.

OatsCurrySummer
October 18th, 2016, 10:56
I think being able to accept being an outsider is exactly what it takes to be a lifer.
Now I just need babby

vaterross
October 18th, 2016, 12:15
If last year serves as any guide, the BOE should be handing out recontracting papers any day now with an internal deadline well before the JET-wide one. Get the first years in the honeymoon period!

At the this point I'm about 60% sure I want to stay. I think I can eke out another year of feeling fairly satisfied with the job, it'll be my 4th contract of EFL work. The local area has grown on me, I've broadened my social circles and just feel more comfortable here than last year. I haven't given up on Japanese yet and I'd like to see that keep improving. Despite me listing all the positives first, one of the biggest reasons for staying is that I don't have a concrete plan for home yet. I've seen what happens to people who go back without a plan and it's not something I want to go through. If I had family or an SO here, my life would be pretty set (for a couple years at least). But quite soon I need to face the music and transition to whatever's next, teaching certification back home perhaps.

Ini
October 18th, 2016, 12:38
if you have a place in some other country that you call "home" then you probably aren't cut out to be a lifer.

Frap
October 18th, 2016, 12:40
if you have a place in some other country that you call "home" then you probably aren't cut out to be a lifer.

ini-sama if u dont mind me asking, what kind of work do u do atm?

when you first came to japan, was it with jet?

Ini
October 18th, 2016, 12:51
My first job in Japan was with JET but I had passed through a few times before on my magical mystery world tour. At the moment I split my time between researching if video conferencing is the future of ALT-ing and building lego mindstorms with a bunch of kids with aspergers

acpc2203
October 18th, 2016, 13:30
building lego mindstorms with a bunch of kids with aspergers
how do i get this job?

Lianwen
October 18th, 2016, 14:42
I screwed up and I didn't do a proper hiatus for my masters program so I pretty much have another year left here before I really need to go back to America to complete it. I'm hoping that I can go back with my boyfriend and maybe things will get more serious from then. Right now my job is sort of meh, but it pays the bills. Honestly I would really like to go back to ALT work so I just sit around on my butt and finish the easier part of my masters with all the free time.

Ananasboat
October 18th, 2016, 23:33
My first job in Japan was with JET but I had passed through a few times before on my magical mystery world tour. At the moment I split my time between researching if video conferencing is the future of ALT-ing and building lego mindstorms with a bunch of kids with aspergers

Wait, are you to blame for the cancer that they're currently testing in Saga? With the Filipino skype lessons?

hypatia
October 18th, 2016, 23:59
My supervisor at the BOE already asked me if I was planning on staying another year for budget purposes, but I haven't gotten any official paperwork yet. It's looking like I'll do another year just because other life plans fell through and I need that extra year to figure things the fuck out.

Ini
October 19th, 2016, 07:57
Wait, are you to blame for the cancer that they're currently testing in Saga? With the Filipino skype lessons?

No, but everyone is looking into it at the moment. Its part of the panic surrounding the ES English expansion. Skype and filipinos sounds a bit ghetto. Saying that we are using some over priced proprietary conferencing software with a bunch of Australians and its a massive disaster so I cant imagine a bunch of snack bar girls on skype being much worse.

mothy
October 19th, 2016, 08:08
Saying that we are using some over priced proprietary conferencing software with a bunch of Australians and its a massive disaster so I cant imagine a bunch of snack bar girls on skype being much worse.

So you're saying they're going to roll it out nationwide.

Frap
October 19th, 2016, 08:09
imagine the americans' reactions when they find out they're being replaced by a projector

OatsCurrySummer
October 19th, 2016, 08:16
Honestly, I wouldn't mind being one of the last generations of the program. As much as I'm enjoying the ride on this gravy train, I'd much rather see the money get reinvested back into the education system to hire actual TESOL-holding professionals. I live with the constant guilt that I'm a monumental waste of money and my annual salary could send seven more kids to Seattle for homestay programs.

mothy
October 19th, 2016, 08:17
imagine the americans' reactions when they find out they're being replaced by a projector

Why only americans? Are you turning into jiggle now?

acpc2203
October 19th, 2016, 08:29
Honestly, I wouldn't mind being one of the last generations of the program. As much as I'm enjoying the ride on this gravy train, I'd much rather see the money get reinvested back into the education system to hire actual TESOL-holding professionals. I live with the constant guilt that I'm a monumental waste of money and my annual salary could send seven more kids to Seattle for homestay programs.
glad i have no moral scruples

Ananasboat
October 19th, 2016, 08:36
No, but everyone is looking into it at the moment. Its part of the panic surrounding the ES English expansion. Skype and filipinos sounds a bit ghetto. Saying that we are using some over priced proprietary conferencing software with a bunch of Australians and its a massive disaster so I cant imagine a bunch of snack bar girls on skype being much worse.

I'm not testing the curriculum, it's in another town, but basically the lesson goes like this: The people selling the program hand the HRT/ALT a list of 40 words and basic sentences 10 minutes before class. The class has 20 minutes to learn the words. Then they open up skype and call the Philippines where teachers with vastly different accents from the ALT shout at the kids "YOU KNOW THIS YOU KNOW THIS!" for the second half of class while they're meant to practice dialogues.

So to call it a train wreck is a bit of an understatement.

Frap
October 19th, 2016, 08:37
Why only americans? Are you turning into jiggle now?

haha im not implying other nationalities wouldnt react in whatever way

but the americans would be the most loud and fun to watch

acpc2203
October 19th, 2016, 09:16
american jets are pretty bad tbh

Ananasboat
October 19th, 2016, 09:37
I'M THE BEST WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NO ONE CAN REPLACE ME WITH A COMPUTER!

*remembers the textbook software*

Hmm...

Ananasboat
October 19th, 2016, 09:42
Anyway, I'm staying another year at least. Hopefully I can get my n2 done after so long, and maybe see where the teaching license thing goes. Bof wants to not teach for the rest of his life, and makes references to how nice HK would be to live/work in, so we'll see.

mothy
October 19th, 2016, 09:50
jets are pretty bad tbh

I know.

acpc2203
October 19th, 2016, 14:23
So apparently if I stay another year I get to choose if I become strictly an ES or JHS ALT at the start of the 2018 school year. Need to see which one offers the best desk/chair and snack/drinks combination.

OatsCurrySummer
October 19th, 2016, 14:38
omg if I could be just ES I'd probably never leave.

acpc2203
October 19th, 2016, 14:53
eh my elementary schools have a few too many feral kids to make it an easy choice.

Jiggit
October 19th, 2016, 16:30
There are a lot of jobs out there teaching babbies if that's what you want to do instead of making your own.

OatsCurrySummer
October 19th, 2016, 16:38
There are a lot of jobs out there teaching babbies if that's what you want to do instead of making your own.
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/49235330.jpg

mothy
October 19th, 2016, 16:38
Yeah, mini-mothy's nursery employs three dirty foreigners to make sure the squirts can hanashi the english.

OatsCurrySummer
October 19th, 2016, 16:40
Yeah, mini-mothy's nursery employs three dirty foreigners to make sure the squirts can hanashi the english.
Where do I sign up.
The preschool here is absolutely overflowing, and theres a waiting list for kids to get in. If they ever wanted a foreigner, I'd say yes in a heartbeat.

mothy
October 19th, 2016, 16:46
From the looks of the foreigners, I'd say you sign up in either the Philipines or a gutter somewhere.

Lianwen
October 20th, 2016, 07:32
My work contracts with a private kindy. Not that we teachers ever see the money, but the kindy pays 30man a month for 2.5hrs of classes a week. Not sure why they won't drop our contract and hire a full time foreigner to English for the kids. Lord knows it'd be cheaper.

Ananasboat
October 20th, 2016, 14:06
WTF is a kindy?

webstaa
October 20th, 2016, 14:28
Kindergarten perhaps?

Lianwen
October 20th, 2016, 14:35
Kindergarten.

...now I feel like I've been on itil for way to long. Kindy used to be obvious for kindergarten l.

acpc2203
October 20th, 2016, 18:26
dont preschools pay poverty tier wages compared to JET?

Lianwen
October 20th, 2016, 19:28
This school is the private, rich students only, every child has an iPad type.

Jiggit
October 20th, 2016, 21:22
Compared to jet, sure. Most jobs for unqualified morons like us pay about the same. I've seen some preschool positions for more than jet though.

GodInStrafeMode
October 21st, 2016, 11:51
Lifer/ non-English teacher here
*raises hand*