PDA

View Full Version : Who should I ask to write my reference letter?

chronophile
October 26th, 2016, 14:40
I already have 1 good reference letter in the works from my boss at a tutoring center I've been working at for nearly a year. The second one though, I'm uncertain about. I graduated from college 5 years ago, and while I did have good relationships with my Dept. Head and a few other profs, I haven't kept in touch with them. One of them could be willing to write it, but it might be too big of a time gap. Unfortunately, the last job I had for a year and a half ended on bad terms and while my my boss at my current job is impressed with me, I've only been working there for about 6 weeks. I could ask him to fudge the times a bit. Lastly, is a guy I worked for free-lance designing his educational website. He was a retired professor coincidentally. Me and a friend would go to his house with our laptops and code for 3-4 hours a few times a week, but nothing formal and I was paid by cash in hand.

So, who do you think my best choice is?

thanks!

mothy
October 26th, 2016, 15:33
I'd probably go with your old department head or your boss, depending on how good your job is. Like if it's a mcdonald's I wouldn't bother.

mrcharisma
October 26th, 2016, 16:19
I'd avoid anything where it looks a bit like the person was grooming you, so maybe avoid the randy old former prof.

chronophile
October 28th, 2016, 07:55
I'd probably go with your old department head or your boss, depending on how good your job is. Like if it's a mcdonald's I wouldn't bother.

I'm a software engineer. I said a bit in SoP about enduring the stress of fast approaching deadlines and the importance of team communication. I think that's my best bet, but I was worried about the short time that I'd worked there.

mothy
October 28th, 2016, 12:05
Yeah, it's not perfect, but neither is a department head who probably at this point only vaguely remembers you.