PDA

View Full Version : The Block system

Madjawa
November 3rd, 2016, 10:10
So this is mostly for the past JETs floating around out there, when you guys listed your preferences did they use the block system in years past? I like it as I can just kind of select a region instead of an exact location.

Trying to decide where to list as preferences... I live in the frigid north so the A block is looking tempting, but that is a huge space so something a little more precise might be better...

tamama
November 3rd, 2016, 10:54
Well, I'm not a past JET, but I can say that if you're looking at A block for cold weather I would rule out Yamagata and Akita right away. They have super cold winters that can go -12 and they get ridiculous amounts of snow, but the summer is equally brutal. And long. And humid. As for the other prefectures, I'm not overly familiar with them.

Gizmotech
November 3rd, 2016, 16:41
It depends on the country you're applying from. When I did it, we didn't list blocks, we listed prefectures/designated cities.

mrcharisma
November 3rd, 2016, 16:48
B and E are your best bets.

Ini
November 3rd, 2016, 19:03
no blocks back in my day

mothy
November 3rd, 2016, 21:08
It depends on the country you're applying from. When I did it, we didn't list blocks, we listed prefectures/designated cities.

This makes sense, as when I applied we didn't do blocks but I remember some chatter about blocks.

acpc2203
November 4th, 2016, 09:38
B and E are your best bets.
F and G are the worst

mrcharisma
November 4th, 2016, 09:57
F and G are the worst

A good chunk of A is worse than either of those, most of C isn't a barrel of laughs either.

Ini
November 4th, 2016, 10:05
D is as far west as any sane man would go

acpc2203
November 4th, 2016, 10:23
O yeah C is pretty bad