PDA

View Full Version : Have Any American Applicants Received Notification Yet?

Tara
January 5th, 2017, 03:49
Hey everyone,

I've seen a few people from the UK say they've already received notification about their initial application results. Has anyone in the United States heard anything yet? And if so, was it through e-mail/telephone/mail?

voittaa
January 7th, 2017, 06:33
Hey, US applicant here as well.

And, nope, nothing yet. From what I've heard, you'll receive an email telling you to check your JET Inbox. I'm bet we'll hear in the next 5 days or so.

Happy waiting!

Zolrak 22
January 7th, 2017, 12:04
JET news are known to take a while, so don't worry about it. Just stay distracted until you receive the email.

injektilo
January 8th, 2017, 01:12
Still not I. Feeling like it's gotta be next week. Are the interviews really in January too? That's not gonna be much notice!

hamu
January 8th, 2017, 07:56
Still haven't heard anything here yet either! I hope it's soon as well.

Still not I. Feeling like it's gotta be next week. Are the interviews really in January too? That's not gonna be much notice!

Maybe the January interviews are for people who requested early departure? The website says interviews are in January and February with results in April, but I'm not sure if those folks would get notified before anyone else. Anyway, good luck everybody!

Linden
January 10th, 2017, 01:32
Received my confirmation today! Anybody else?

chronophile
January 10th, 2017, 02:42
Just got mine in my JET inbox this morning!

jet's jet
January 10th, 2017, 03:13
Rejected. Maybe I should have spent my year abroad in Japan over Hong Kong and taught Japanese children over Chinese.

hamu
January 10th, 2017, 06:31
Just got mine in my JET inbox this morning!

Congrats on the interview, chronophile!

I got mine around noon today as well. (If any lurkers are wondering, I did not apply for early departure.) Best of luck! :)

tamama
January 10th, 2017, 07:00
Yep, just got mine too. I'll be getting details later.

Madjawa
January 10th, 2017, 09:04
Got mine this morning as well, and heard from friends on both coasts. Pretty sure most if not all of the American ones went out today. I hope the actual dates come out relatively soon though, the follow up email for Boston said they'd let us know by the 26th at the latest, which is cutting it pretty close (interviews start on the 31st)

mothy
January 10th, 2017, 11:12
Rejected. Maybe I should have spent my year abroad in Japan over Hong Kong and taught Japanese children over Chinese.

Sorry about the rejection, but I can tell you that wasn't why you were rejected.

furple0
January 10th, 2017, 16:56
I got mine today as well. Rejected, didn't even get interview. I have no idea why, as I felt my application would be very competitive. Deep interest in Japan and teaching English. Volunteer work with Japanese students. Two trips to Japan. Currently studying Japanese. Anyone know what they weight the most heavily? Maybe they really do want teaching experience, or high level Japanese ability?

Fantasylife
January 11th, 2017, 06:34
I might be a JET judge this year. It would be nice to sit on the other side of the table this time >: )

Madjawa
January 11th, 2017, 07:01
I might be a JET judge this year. It would be nice to sit on the other side of the table this time >: )

huh, they haven't sorted all that out yet? I'd think they'd at least let the interview-ERs know by now.

mothy
January 11th, 2017, 07:29
huh, they haven't sorted all that out yet? I'd think they'd at least let the interview-ERs know by now.

You give JET too much credit.

Madjawa
January 11th, 2017, 08:34
I got mine today as well. Rejected, didn't even get interview. I have no idea why, as I felt my application would be very competitive. Deep interest in Japan and teaching English. Volunteer work with Japanese students. Two trips to Japan. Currently studying Japanese. Anyone know what they weight the most heavily? Maybe they really do want teaching experience, or high level Japanese ability?

no idea, could be anything really. From what I've heard/read it might not even be done in house. Like another company sits down with a rubric and there's a point cutoff you have to hit or something along those lines. (worth noting the video I got most of this from is from ~2011.)

Sorry you didn't make it :(

OatsCurrySummer
January 11th, 2017, 09:27

Honestly, none of us understand their selection process. I had zero Japanese ability, no teaching experience, had never been to Japan...Maybe they're looking for foreigners who aren't overqualified and won't rock the boat in their schools? A lot of this job is just doing what your told and if you're particularly brilliant it might result in a clashing of teaching styles at the school. I think I just came off as very friendly but compliant.

Fantasylife
January 11th, 2017, 10:42

Apparently not. I received an email from my consulate last Friday asking if I would be interested.

Zolrak 22
January 11th, 2017, 13:42
Apparently not. I received an email from my consulate last Friday asking if I would be interested.
That's pretty cool, I wonder how they go about that process.

acpc2203
January 12th, 2017, 20:44
Not coming off as a weeb or as someone who wants to stay in Japan after JET usually helps.

Ini
January 12th, 2017, 21:28
unless you wrote a 6 page thesis on how the Diaoyu belong to their rightful people it was probably down to something stupid like stapling the papers together or blatantly admitting to being a homosexual.

mothy
January 12th, 2017, 22:23
If JET is trying to keep homosexuals out they're doing a terrible job.

patjs
January 13th, 2017, 06:08
no idea, could be anything really. From what I've heard/read it might not even be done in house. Like another company sits down with a rubric and there's a point cutoff you have to hit or something along those lines. (worth noting the video I got most of this from is from ~2011.)

Sorry you didn't make it :(

I am not sure if it's actually outsourced but I do know they hire a bunch of temporary help and yes it is simply graded on straight points with a rubric. Each section is scored and if you make a certain point total you get an interview. If not you get binned.

To anyone who wants to claim it's "random," it's anything but. You could argue over the criteria but rest assured there are specific guidelines to grade you with. It isn't someone sitting down and leafing through your papers and then arbitrarily tossing it into a pile.

Frap
January 13th, 2017, 08:18
If JET is trying to keep homosexuals out they're doing a terrible job.

got any gaysian friends?