PDA

View Full Version : Online work while on JET?

MariaJohnson
January 18th, 2017, 02:46
I'm a current JET participant. While in the USA I was working as on online English tutor. I made good money. Jet pays practically nothing and I could use the extra money. I know technically I'm not allowed to work for another company. But it's an American company and I'm an American citizen. The money will go to my USA bank account and all taxes will be paid to the us in USD. the Japanese government has no way of knowing unless I go around blabbing about it. I wanted to know if anyone had done something like this before. Or if they have any advice. Thanks.

Ini
January 18th, 2017, 08:28
How long have you lived in japan? less than 5 years you are ok, over 5 years then you will be committing tax evasion. you could be fined 40% of what you withheld and face up to a year imprisonment.

OatsCurrySummer
January 18th, 2017, 10:19
I'm a current JET participant. While in the USA I was working as on online English tutor. I made good money. Jet pays practically nothing and I could use the extra money. I know technically I'm not allowed to work for another company. But it's an American company and I'm an American citizen. The money will go to my USA bank account and all taxes will be paid to the us in USD. the Japanese government has no way of knowing unless I go around blabbing about it. I wanted to know if anyone had done something like this before. Or if they have any advice. Thanks.

Where do you live that renders JET pay "practically nothing"??
I worked as an English tutor in Canada too and the pay was about the same.

Jiggit
January 18th, 2017, 11:03
How long have you lived in japan? less than 5 years you are ok, over 5 years then you will be committing tax evasion. you could be fined 40% of what you withheld and face up to a year imprisonment.
Never let it be said that ITIL isn't helpful!

hypatia
February 17th, 2017, 18:56
A former ALT in my area (she was a Canadian, if that makes any difference) did freelance English/French translation projects the entirely of the time that I knew her while she was on JET, and she didn't have any problems. However, it was all for projects/companies based in Canada. *shrug*

Ditto to what Oats said though - while JET isn't a lucrative job, it's certain not "practically nothing"

ALTInsiderFY
March 8th, 2017, 16:03
It's tax evasion, but I still would do it. Remember, when your Uncle Billy paid you a $20 spot for mowing the lawn that also was tax evasion. Just be smart and don't do something stupid like announcing it to the world/teacher's room and you'll be fine. And I agree, if you think the JET Program pay is nothing, what is dispatch pay, negative?