PDA

View Full Version : Finished JET and went home, but Supervisor just found out I did outside work

distantshores
March 8th, 2017, 13:47
So just got an email out of the blue that the company I did some freelance for during my last few months before leaving Japan sent a tax receipt to my house, which got forwarded to my old supervisor. I never worked on it during my JET hours, but they're still pretty angry.

My question is: is there anything they can do, consequence-wise? It was technically against my contract, but since I've finished I'm not sure if there'd be any problem besides them being angry?

mothy
March 8th, 2017, 14:13
Could they? Theoretically they could take you to court, but them showing how they were damaged by you violating the terms of the contract would be difficult so I wouldn't worry about that. The only problem might be if you ever need any recommendation from them. Don't count on that.

Another thing that strikes me as theoretically possible is reporting you to immigration to try to get you in trouble for violating the terms of your visa.

Gizmotech
March 9th, 2017, 21:43
So just got an email out of the blue that the company I did some freelance for during my last few months before leaving Japan sent a tax receipt to my house, which got forwarded to my old supervisor. I never worked on it during my JET hours, but they're still pretty angry.

My question is: is there anything they can do, consequence-wise? It was technically against my contract, but since I've finished I'm not sure if there'd be any problem besides them being angry?

They're allowed to be angry because you broke both your contract rules and visa rules (unless it was another instructor visa school).

Now if you aren't the country they can't do much to ya, if you're in country they could make your life miserable, especially if they know where you live.

word
March 10th, 2017, 14:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is

richief_611
March 11th, 2017, 19:38
They can't do anything because you're already gone. The only thing that could have happened was being fired, but you already completed your contract. Everyone does side jobs, so you're not the only one. But same thing as others have said, probably no future reference letters.

Being angry is all they can do at this point. They can try to do something about it, but they can't.

tedcase
March 14th, 2017, 21:32
They could send Ninjas.

Keep your windows locked.

Beer Baron
March 18th, 2017, 07:06
You could post the contents of the email for our amusement....

OatsCurrySummer
March 18th, 2017, 08:46
^^ seconded!

BifCarbet
April 12th, 2017, 23:35
It is surely possible that you could have trouble getting into Japan again.